General Grievous vs. Depa Billaba/Shaak Ti

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
Neutral ground

ILS
I'm not sure if Depa Billaba is any better than a tired Ki-Adi-Mundi, Aayla Secura, K'Kruhk, Tarr Seirr combo. Grievous should win.

I'm ready to receive your tears, KMC.

Trocity
The General.

Tzeentch
If Kit Fisto can decisively handle Grievous, Depa alone would give him the fight of his life. Shaak Ti added to the mix is too much.

Q99
Originally posted by Tzeentch
If Kit Fisto can decisively handle Grievous, Depa alone would give him the fight of his life. Shaak Ti added to the mix is too much.

Exactly.

Nephthys
thumb up

|King Joker|
Yup.

ILS
Originally posted by Trocity
The General. Agreed. He's already stomped Shaak, taking out Depa whose accomplishments are minimal shouldn't be his most difficult task to date thumb up

Interesting to see that the guy who frequently puts Agen Kolar down for having a "lack of information" is so quick to support Depa Billaba, against Grievous no less. Truly interesting.

ares834
Originally posted by Tzeentch

thumb up

ChaosTheory123
Originally posted by ILS
Agreed. He's already stomped Shaak, taking out Depa whose accomplishments are minimal shouldn't be his most difficult task to date thumb up

Interesting to see that the guy who frequently puts Agen Kolar down for having a "lack of information" is so quick to support Depa Billaba, against Grievous no less. Truly interesting.

Let's play some more devil's advocate :maybe

Shaak Ti, per word of Lucas is a peer of Windu and Obi-Wan, or so I've heard from seeing ShootingNova mention the accolade once or twice lurking comments

G canon are the movies, the novels of the movies, the scripts, and Lucas' word.

Shaak Ti vs Grievous was purely a C canon event

Higher canon supersedes lower order canon to my limited knowledge

Would sort of figure Grievous' showing there was thus illegitimate, or an inaccurate representation of how events would go depending on circumstance then (been a while since I've seen it, maybe she and her group were just worn the **** out? You know, instead of just being an outlier :maybe) :hmm

That's the ***** of a series with an official canon policy as far as I can tell with this hobby :hmm

ILS
Not sure if that quote exists, or is interpreted correctly. Then again simply being a peer of them doesn't necessarily put her above Grievous even if it does exist - Kenobi himself isn't Windu's equal, and on a grand scale (we're talking out of 10,000+ Jedi) Ti should be considered closer to Windu and Kenobi than most. Due to actually having showings and being a prominent Jedi. That could be said of a lot of characters though.

Either way I'd favour Grievous overall against Ti, for reasons I'd hope are obvious, but people still have their tongue's stuck deep inside the wretched a**hole of TCW when it comes to characters they dislike, so not much you can do there as far as finding common ground with people. *shrugs*

McP
@ILS
You can't judge that fight basing only on one Grievous' duel in the old CW.
In a multiple sources, Grievous is stated to be about equal to top jedi masters, like Fisto or even Drallig.
The question here is, if Sahhk Ti and Depa are on this level. i would say yes, and if not, then they are at least really close.

ILS
Where is this stated, MCP?

McP
As I remember, in LoE for example. And in the old CW itself.

Anyway, Grievous fighting style from TCW is much more similar to ROTS movie then his style from old CW. Also, I wouldn't say, that Grievous is that weak in TCW. After all, even in a comic, which was basing on the old CW, Ventress at the end of the duel, was really close to put Grievous on his knees.

ILS
Quote?

ChaosTheory123
Originally posted by ILS
Not sure if that quote exists, or is interpreted correctly.

Couldn't tell you myself. Was asking if you knew of it.

I have seen a few comments from ShootingNova reference it, doesn't mean you were in the thread to be fair :hmm

Wasn't saying it did

Just that using her showing vs Grievous as a gauge of how the match would play out (a stomp as the cartoon had it go) probably isn't accurate.

I know this too, tiers can be kind of wide and all

Ever read Yu Yu Hakusho? S Class, the "top tier" demons of the verse? Can vary in power to what some in the same tier consider servants to nigh godly ****ers.

Obi-Wan can exist in the same tier as Windu and still be significantly outclassed.

Grievous probably does take it one on one, even assuming that Lucas statement is a thing

Just asking after it to not the original CW cartoon, with that quote taken at face value, doesn't appear to accurately reflect the disparity between her and Grievous :maybe

McP
"Power moves served you well on Hypori against Jedi such as Daakman Barrek and Tarr Seir. But I pity you should you have to face off against any of the Council Masters." He called into hand his courtly, curve-handled lightsaber and drew a rapid X in the air--a Makashi flourish. "Do I need to demonstrate what responses you can expect from Cin Drallig or Obi-Wan Kenobi? From Mace Windu or, stars help you, Yoda?"
(...)
"Finesse. Artfulness. Economy. Otherwise, my friend, I fear that you will end up beyond the repair of even the Geonosians. Do you take my meaning?"
--- LoE

ILS
Wait, so it wasn't canonically stated that Grievous is equal to Drallig?

Cool, all I needed.

McP
Well, that statement is describing Grievous as more or less (more likely) equal to top duelists of the Order. Fisto is in the same league as well, and he was really close to fedeat Grievous. Grievous also fought Kenobi many times, and some of those duels were equal. I'm not consider Grievous as some weak shit, but he isn't also as strong as he was in the old CW. That's all.

ILS
Actually, the quote says that if Grievous continued using the same techniques he was using against his MagnaGuards, that, in Dooku's supposed opinion, he would have difficulty defeating Cin Drallig.

This was after defeating Mundi, Ti, Secura, Kruhk and Seirr.

Still wondering why people take what Dooku says as gospel but hey, whatever keeps their dick hard.

Stigma
Hmm.

Tzeentch
Presumably because Dooku personally trained Grievous and has casually whooped his ass? That would make him an authority on Grievous' dueling ability.

And the implication that Dooku was making was that Cin Drallig and everyone else mentioned in that passage would beat Grievous' ass.

ILS
Right, but Dooku isn't exactly the most honest fellow, is he?

―Labyrinth of Evil

And yeno, we also have this, again, from Dooku.

―Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

Tzeentch
Neither of those statements cast any doubt on the validity of his statement.

Dooku lies when he has something to gain. Warning Grievous that he's no match for council-level fighters does nothing to benefit Dooku.

ILS
You don't find it contradictory that he tells Grievous that Cin Drallig could kick his ass, but muses to himself that Grievous is a challenge for himself, and is a better fighter than Ventress? How powerful do you think Drallig is?

And Grievous clearly is a match for Council-level fighters, considering the fact he took out two of them on Hypori, and repeatedly proved a challenge for Kenobi during TCW. (Just covering my bases between what people regard as fan-fiction, and canon portrayals).

Tzeentch
No. Is Ventress a better fighter than Cin Dralig? And we already knew Grievous was stronger than Ventress when he crushed her and Durge at the same time. That isn't a secret to be kept.

The text explicitly states that Grievous is a challenge for Dooku "when he kept secrets of his own". The implication is that he's holding things back from Grievous so he doesn't become stronger than Dooku.

ILS
Yes, she is. Because Drallig, while very good, is a far cry away from Anakin as a fighter (Ventress isn't, as she's repeatedly proven). Outside of that he has decent accolades, and is better than Shaak Ti.

I used to interpret it that way, in recent times I look at it more like Dooku kept that kind of praise to himself because he didn't want Grievous believing he really was a challenge for Dooku, thus preventing any risk of him being usurped. Not sure what combat secrets Dooku could keep from Grievous, Dooku tutored him in all seven forms.

ares834
Originally posted by ILS
Yes, she is. Because Drallig, while very good, is a far cry away from Anakin as a fighter (Ventress isn't, as she's repeatedly proven). Outside of that he has decent accolades, and is better than Shaak Ti.

Eh...

Anakin has already stomped characters more powerful tha Ventress (Dooku). His performance swings wildly depending on his mental state.

ILS
In that case I'd simply point to her impressive showing against Mace Windu.

Then again Dooku is hardly infallible when it comes to the matter of judging whether f*cking Cin Drallig is better than Ventress or not.

Emperordmb
Team wins. Both is too much.

carthage
Great argument DMB thumb up

AncientPower
The Jedi are too much for him, both are top tier High Council members. Given the feats of other High Council Masters against him I find it hard to believe two of the best on the Council would lose.

ILS
I liked you better when you were promoting Maul.

AncientPower
Promoting? hardly, the nescience around here regarding him is painfully obvious however.

ILS
Not saying it's a bad thing that you promoted his feats.

AncientPower
Honestly, the fact that my statements concerning him could be considered promotions is actually quite disheartening. No wonder a bunch of people here call him a brute.

Quotes provided by myself should be common knowledge considering he is one of the most popular and explored characters the Prequels introduced, if not the saga.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by ILS

I used to interpret it that way, in recent times I look at it more like Dooku kept that kind of praise to himself because he didn't want Grievous believing he really was a challenge for Dooku, thus preventing any risk of him being usurped. Not sure what combat secrets Dooku could keep from Grievous, Dooku tutored him in all seven forms.

It's hard to take that sentiment seriously when Obi-Wan has casually toyed with a blood-lusted Ventress before. I'm willing to concede that Drallig is one of the most featless characters in the era, but unless Ventress has done something impressive in the latter half of the CW series (which I haven't seen, last episode I saw was the beginning of the Death Watch arc), putting her close to Anakin in dueling ability sounds rather far-fetched to me.

There is more to dueling than technical knowledge of the styles. Adding to that, Dooku hiding Grievous' progress out of fear that he might grow some self-esteem and try to usurp him (lol) is silly because even if Grievous' managed to match Dooku in sabers, he has no defense against Dooku's mastery of the force. This is the guy who has stalemated Yoda in a force contest. Grievous against a blood-lusted Dooku would get his privilege checked even faster then when Mace did him in on Coruscant.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.