How safe is Europe these days?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time Immemorial
Thinking of traveling it with my gf and have not been over there in possibly close to 15 years outside of military travels.

Is it safe to travel between countries, on euro rail or in general and what are the places to avoid?

Obviously common sense first but other then that, whats good, whats not so good?

krisblaze
lol.

-Pr-
If you exercise common sense and avoid Ukraine, you should be fine for the most part.

lol @ thread though.

Lestov16
TI will find you, and he will kill you...

krisblaze
Originally posted by -Pr-
If you exercise common sense and avoid Ukraine, you should be fine for the most part.
This is like telling Xavier to use his legs.

TI can't exercise what he doesn't have.

Time Immemorial

lol @ thread though.

Darn, I was really hoping to show up to Ukraine with Ar-15's and hand grenades smokin'

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by krisblaze
This is like telling Xavier to use his legs.

TI can't exercise what he doesn't have.

Some of the stuff you say on here begs to questions whether you have legs.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Darn, I was really hoping to show up to Ukraine with Ar-15's and hand grenades smokin'

Ofx7w_7dDEc

Time Immemorial

lol @ thread though.

I mean places like Turkey, Greece.

-Pr-
I mean places like Turkey, Greece.

If you stick to the touristy or more public areas, both are fine.

Greece can be a bit racist, and they have some cultural cues that you'd have to get used to. Certain gestures that you and I would think universal mean different things to Greeks.

Turkey is, like I said, fine if you stay in the right places. Though there's a lot of upheaval atm due to the shit going on there.

Both countries have a lot to see though, so are at least worth seeing in part.

Time Immemorial

Greece can be a bit racist, and they have some cultural cues that you'd have to get used to. Certain gestures that you and I would think universal mean different things to Greeks.

Turkey is, like I said, fine if you stay in the right places. Though there's a lot of upheaval atm due to the shit going on there.

Have you been to either?

Omega Vision
Thinking of traveling it with my gf and have not been over there in possibly close to 15 years outside of military travels.

Is it safe to travel between countries, on euro rail or in general and what are the places to avoid?

Obviously common sense first but other then that, whats good, whats not so good?
It's pretty safe. Just keep an eye on your luggage on fast trains, there's very little security and it's easy to have a bag snatched away if you're not careful.

It's unlikely you'll get mugged, but much more likely you'll get pickpocketed.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Omega Vision
It's pretty safe. Just keep an eye on your luggage on fast trains, there's very little security and it's easy to have a bag snatched away if you're not careful.

It's unlikely you'll get mugged, but much more likely you'll get pickpocketed.

So travel light and keep them close by. Are you allowed to carry a knife? I always carry one on me. Old habits die hard. Never had to use one but its always the one day you don't have one you get mugged, which actually happened to me once.

-Pr-
Have you been to either?

No, but family/friends have. Both are very popular tourist destinations.

Omega Vision
So travel light and keep them close by. Are you allowed to carry a knife? I always carry one on me. Old habits die hard. Never had to use one but its always the one day you don't have one you get mugged, which actually happened to me once.
I think it would depend on the country. Knives as a rule are difficult to regulate because they have so many uses beyond stabbing folks. I think a Swiss Army knife should be A-OK, but I'd check local laws first. thumb up

Time Immemorial
I think it would depend on the country. Knives as a rule are difficult to regulate because they have so many uses beyond stabbing folks. I think a Swiss Army knife should be A-OK, but I'd check local laws first. thumb up

Sweet, I actually still have mine from the last time I was in Switzerland. Still new and shiny big grin

meep-meep
▼I was going to post something similar. However, I'm an amateur when it comes to posting pics.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Lestov16
TI will find you, and he will kill you...

laughing laughing laughing laughing

http://funsubstance.com/uploads/original/15/15659.jpg

Bardock42
Oh it's a hellhole. There's nowhere you are safe, and our communist government has banned guns, so we can't even protect ourselves against the roaming gangs of outlaws. Though really the ghouls are the worst. It is generally not recommended to go outside 5 hours before sunset, and best not after sunrise at all. On the plus side there's a lot of rain, even if it is 90% acid.

Omega Vision
You forgot the mandatory gay marriages.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Bardock42
Oh it's a hellhole. There's nowhere you are safe, and our communist government has banned guns, so we can't even protect ourselves against the roaming gangs of outlaws. Though really the ghouls are the worst. It is generally not recommended to go outside 5 hours before sunset, and best not after sunrise at all. On the plus side there's a lot of rain, even if it is 90% acid.

Butthurt much.

Bentley

Most of the posters in this thread replied like a bunch of phuckers, which is what I normally do, but I'll chime in since I've done several countries in continental Europe.

I traveled Poland, Slovakia and Czech Republic by hitchhikking, and though people were concerned about us getting mugged by random criminals, we never met any problem (though nobody or next to nobody spoke any language we handled properly, my russian is sh_tty). I've also crossed most of France by hitchiking, some parts of Germany. Western Europe is mostly safe unless you decide to dive into unpleasant neighborhoods.

Barring the occasional hunting rifle in the countryside you won't find next to no guns. The criminal gangs, either local or international carry them of course, but unless you go your way to meet these lowlifes, your odds of finding them are slim. Lots of pickpocketeers and con artists fill the European capitals, be wary of anyone who speaks to you for o apparent reason, they might be scouting for potential prey. To give you more precise information I may need to have an idea of which countries you want to visit, short blades are more or less allowed (in France they have to be shorter than your palm, which is quite small). Most of the regular safety meaures apply: don't hold into your passport in a carrying bag, be sure of having some cash separated in cae you were to lose your bag or have your things stolen and be sure of having digital copies of your pertinent documentation. Authorities in Eastern Europe are often sloppier and more likely to be corrupted, try to use only the former to your advantage.

rudester
If St8 people can get divorced in a few hours after being married why can't gay people try to make marriage to the same standards as st8 people, who knows maybe in a few years gay people can divorce in a frenzy. Maybe then some people who feel the need to control everyone and tell strangers how to live can take their stick up their asz!

Bardock42
Butthurt much.

Are you referring to the mandatory, bi-weekly anal probes?

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Bardock42
Are you referring to the mandatory, bi-weekly anal probes?

Depends on who is administering them.

Stoic

I wonder if raising your middle finger is universal, or if it had a different meaning in Greece?

jaden101
It'll be less safe if you come over.

But nah, it's fine. I'd avoid areas with high Unemployment though. Some areas of Spain, Greece etc. Might be worth doing non typical European countries countries. Croatia is amazing for example

Omega Vision
I want to go to Croatia so badly.

And the Czech Republic.

Czech women... droolio

Star428
Butthurt much.

LOL.

krisblaze
Scandinavia's safe, same with quality Europe, like italy, germany, france, etc.

There are some shit places in Britain, but it's safe.

Places like Croatia, Estonia, etc are relatively safe but have a pickpocketing problem. I suppose that's a given for most poor places.

If any black or romani person approaches you for seemingly no good reason then you've probably been targeted/being scouted for pickpocketers. This kind of profiling is racist as phuck, that's how it goes in Oslo and Stockholm at least.

I hear Spain's pretty bad, both my dad and friend got jumped on separate occasions there, but that was on his 10th visit and he frequents some shady places.....so yeah

StyleTime
I could kick any European's ass, regardless of race.

Bentley
Originally posted by StyleTime
I could kick any European's ass, regardless of race.

When you get mugged is all about thieves getting the drop on you, so you'd need to kick European ass after you've been stabbed in the gut for it to matter at all.

StyleTime
Won't work. I'm way tougher than Kang dude.

Mindset
The entire country of Europe is dangerous, that's why I stay in merica, land of the free, home of the whopper.

Omega Vision
Would you be interested in some anti-semitic literature, Mindset? It's a little wild, but it'll hold a crowd.

Mindset
Would you be interested in some anti-semitic literature, Mindset? It's a little wild, but it'll hold a crowd. When am I ever not interested in anti-semitic literature, friend?

Bentley
Originally posted by StyleTime
Won't work. I'm way tougher than Kang dude.

You sound badass, if we ever met I'll shoot you preemtively just to be safe kangbiscuits

jmarsh456
I think Europe is 100% safe in these days.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.