Frank Millers Batman vs the Silver Surfer...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheLordofMurder
55 year old Batman, with over a decade of prep time and full knowledge of the Norrin and what he can do, takes on the Silver Surfer in the Heart of Gotham City...

Batman is attempting to simutaneously fake his death and teach Surfer a lesson...

Both fight in character...

Does Frank Millers Batman prevail?

Scoobless
No

no expression

riv6672
Ten years?
Its possible.
Doom's a prep peer of Batman's, and managed to steal Surfer's power. Thats a type of depowering.
I'd lay odds on Batman being able to pull off some similar feat, even if he didnt want/manage to score a power up out of it.

Mindship
Once upon a time, "Batman with prep" was the closest thing KMC ever had to an official tagline.

Surfer tumbles like a girlieman off his board into the dark wings of defeat.

riv6672
Whats the KMC tagline now?
I have a few theories but dont want my account restricted. smile

Mindship
Originally posted by riv6672
Whats the KMC tagline now?Not sure there are any. Like "speedblitz" posts, "Batman-with-prep" got overused, cuz its highly subjective and unquantifiable nature often rendered debate moot.

I have a few theories but dont want my account restricted. smile Perhaps couch them in colorful metaphors

riv6672
What an unbeatable, Super idea!

Mindship
What an unbeatable, Super idea! laughing out loud

Rezactic
The problem with prep battles is that they're very vague. I could just say "oh well Batman just make a device to drain Surfer of his powers" but that's vague as hell.

StiltmanFTW
Batman hires some mexicans. They rape and kill SS.

Board Walker
Batman with 10 years of prep could solo the Multiverse

Batman would simply construct the hell bat suit, which allows him to be on Abstract levels of power (He survived a fight with Darkseid who is a high end abstract level being).

Surfer would be absolutely crushed.

Mindset
Originally posted by Board Walker
Batman with 10 years of prep could solo the Multiverse

Batman would simply construct the hell bat suit, which allows him to be on Abstract levels of power (He survived a fight with Darkseid who is a high end abstract level being).

Surfer would be absolutely crushed. He could definitely beat Superman, wouldn't even need prep.

Surtur
Ten years?
Its possible.
Doom's a prep peer of Batman's, and managed to steal Surfer's power. Thats a type of depowering.
I'd lay odds on Batman being able to pull off some similar feat, even if he didnt want/manage to score a power up out of it.

Batman is in no way a prep peer of Doom. Not even close. I don't see him being able to do this.

Rezactic
Originally posted by Surtur
Batman is in no way a prep peer of Doom. Not even close. I don't see him being able to do this. He doesn't have to be, this isn't some high end prep battle to beat some abstract level character, it's 10 years to beat a high end herald level character, 10 years of surveillance, studying the power cosmic, studying Surfer's behavioral patterns.

Hell 1 year or several months would probably be enough, 10 years is overkill

Nibedicus
To add, while the ambigous "prep" scenario makes me not exactly have a clear idea on whether or not batman wins, the whole "drain the Surfer" scenario might not be feasible anymore.

As current Surfer has resisted being depowered by Galactus himself by simply temporarily "de-silvering" himself. And he did this just as Galactus blasted him at point blank range.

http://i.imgur.com/YXIXh4q.png

Next issue:

http://i.imgur.com/I8WYiUB.png

Branlor Swift
What if Batman silvers up and they have a big carrat showdown?

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
What if Batman silvers up and they have a big carrat showdown?

Y is leonidis on your ban list

Branlor Swift
He's a huge racist

Sin I AM
He's a huge racist

Galan level racist?

relentless1
Bats gets donkey punched, Superman can't transmute....

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Galan level racist? Digi

riv6672
Batman is in no way a prep peer of Doom.
Agree to disagree.

Not even close.
Agree to disagree.

I don't see him being able to do this.
Agree to disagree.

Nibedicus
Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
55 year old Batman, with over a decade of prep time and full knowledge of the Norrin and what he can do, takes on the Silver Surfer in the Heart of Gotham City...

Batman is attempting to simutaneously fake his death and teach Surfer a lesson...

Both fight in character...

Does Frank Millers Batman prevail?

Wait, is this the Batman who, after all that he knows about Superman, decided to use a Batarmor and Kryptonite to "beat" Superman?

That Batman gets curbed IMO.

riv6672
You being funny, havent read the story in a while, or completely missed the point of Batman's plan?
Cant tell...

Nibedicus
You being funny, havent read the story in a while, or completely missed the point of Batman's plan?
Cant tell...

What tech "feats" does Miller Batman that makes you think he can pull it of?

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by Nibedicus
Wait, is this the Batman who, after all that he knows about Superman, decided to use a Batarmor and Kryptonite to "beat" Superman?

That Batman gets curbed IMO.

I gotta point out that Batmans goal wasnt to crush Superman as efficiently as possible...

He wanted it to appear that he died fighting Superman, but also wanted to give Superman a good buttkicking as well...

I'd say he did a masterful job of pulling off both at the same time...

Nibedicus
I gotta point out that Batmans goal wasnt to crush Superman as efficiently as possible...

He wanted it to appear that he died fighting Superman, but also wanted to give Superman a good buttkicking as well...

I'd say he did a masterful job of pulling off both at the same time...

Agree.

It's just that I don't see how his tech in that specific run would be effective against the Surfer who won't engage him in h2h, won't be fooled by him faking his death and can just downright heal him if necessary...

Again, tech "feats" would be nice.

TheLordofMurder
Well he created his own kryptonite and was even able to get the dose right so that it crippled Clark instead of killing him...

I think thats a good feat of engineering even though its not something mechanical...

Nibedicus
Well he created his own kryptonite and was even able to get the dose right so that it crippled Clark instead of killing him...

I think thats a good feat of engineering even though its not something mechanical...

Surfer doesn't have many weaknesses he can exploit tho. And Surfer's senses (at their best) are pretty hard to fool.

How exactly is he going to beat the Surfer?

Nibedicus
Bear in mind for him to "win" here, he has to:
-beat surfer in a fight.
-do it in view of everyone and have Surfer aware so that he can "learn his lesson" (meaning an ambush won't accomplish what he set out to do).
-pretend to die and fool Surfer's senses.

I don't really see him pulling it off with these set parameters....

StiltmanFTW
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/134431/2596351-2359944-mexicans_own_surfer.jpg

Bats doesn't need prep for this.

Nibedicus
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/134431/2596351-2359944-mexicans_own_surfer.jpg

Bats doesn't need prep for this.

He's not mexican, so doesn't really count.

StiltmanFTW
Batman can become mexican at will, it's within his godly powerset.

Nibedicus
Batman can become mexican at will, it's within his godly powerset.

Canon pre-52 Batman, sure.

Miller Batman was actually pretty limited by comparison and didn't show the same level of omnipotence.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Millers Batman has the FM power and Miller hates Superheroes, his Batman would stomp SS who would out himself being a "gay" transgender who gets his Cosmic powers from Glactus planetary sperm via oral transmission.

Nibedicus
Originally posted by Prof. T.C McAbe
Millers Batman has the FM power and Miller hates Superheroes, his Batman would stomp SS who would out himself being a "gay" transgender who gets his Cosmic powers from Glactus planetary sperm via oral transmission.

What do you have against gays and transgenders? Homophobe!

Nibedicus
Gay is ok.

Pedo isn't tho. :-p

http://i.imgur.com/T0KZ0If.png

riv6672
Agree.

It's just that I don't see how his tech in that specific run would be effective against the Surfer who won't engage him in h2h, won't be fooled by him faking his death and can just downright heal him if necessary...

Again, tech "feats" would be nice.
He's got 10 years to make sure SS does what he needs/wants him to.
You arbitrarily saying "he wont" dont make your statements facts.

I concede that with their long history and Bats' knowledge of Supes' weaknesses he had a great advantage in implementing his plan, but a decade of setting up the battle field, the weaponry, the circumstances of the encounter...its like a Sun Sun Tzu wet dream.

Those are my opinions. You can dismiss them, but they're as valid as anything else thats been put out. The poll shows my opinion (for once) isnt the minority either.

TheLordofMurder
Bear in mind for him to "win" here, he has to:
-beat surfer in a fight.
-do it in view of everyone and have Surfer aware so that he can "learn his lesson" (meaning an ambush won't accomplish what he set out to do).
-pretend to die and fool Surfer's senses.

I don't really see him pulling it off with these set parameters....

You might be right...

Batman definitely has his work cut out for him as this is more difficult than against Superman...

I just think this makes for interesting conversation...

TheLordofMurder

I concede that with their long history and Bats' knowledge of Supes' weaknesses he had a great advantage in implementing his plan, but a decade of setting up the battle field, the weaponry, the circumstances of the encounter...its like a Sun Sun Tzu wet dream.

Those are my opinions. You can dismiss them, but they're as valid as anything else thats been put out. The poll shows my opinion (for once) isnt the minority either.

Excellent post!

thumb up

Nibedicus

Not dismissing your opinion man. But I do wish we could get an actual argument going. Like 1) how do you think batman is going to pull it off? 2) what "feats" does he have to support it?

We can't just assume someone can win "just because" here.

But, due to the nature of prep, no one can present an argument here without first without getting an idea on how Batman can pull off his win as whatever Surfer does will be in reaction to what Batman will prepare.

We need to show what THIS Batman can do with the prep he's given at the very least.

Star428
Originally posted by Mindship
Once upon a time, "Batman with prep" was the closest thing KMC ever had to an official tagline.

Surfer tumbles like a girlieman off his board into the dark wings of defeat.

Actually, that's not a tag-line that is exclusive to KMC. I've seen many comic book message boards overusing that phrase long before I ever even heard of KMC.

Batman is in no way a prep peer of Doom. Not even close. I don't see him being able to do this.

Indeed, he is not. Doom would school him in that area-of-expertise.

Nibedicus
Also, this is Earth-31 Batman. Different "feats"...

Mindship
Originally posted by Star428
Actually, that's not a tag-line that is exclusive to KMC. I've seen many comic book message boards overusing that phrase long before I ever even heard of KMC. I had no idea it had such a proud and noble history behind it.

h1a8
To add, while the ambigous "prep" scenario makes me not exactly have a clear idea on whether or not batman wins, the whole "drain the Surfer" scenario might not be feasible anymore.

As current Surfer has resisted being depowered by Galactus himself by simply temporarily "de-silvering" himself. And he did this just as Galactus blasted him at point blank range.

http://i.imgur.com/YXIXh4q.png

Next issue:

http://i.imgur.com/I8WYiUB.png That's PIS and unusuable. Surfer still had powers when he desilvered. Otherwise he wouldn't be able to resilver. Galactus can easily sense the power cosmic, yet he didn't and went only by appearances. Basically Galactus was like "Surfer is powerless and dead cause he looks like it. So I'll leave now as my job is done. No bother to actually sense whether he still has power or really isn't dead because seeing is believing."

Even so, Batman won't fall for that trick and he would drain Surfer dry. Appearances won't fool him.

Surtur
Originally posted by Rezactic
He doesn't have to be, this isn't some high end prep battle to beat some abstract level character, it's 10 years to beat a high end herald level character, 10 years of surveillance, studying the power cosmic, studying Surfer's behavioral patterns.

Hell 1 year or several months would probably be enough, 10 years is overkill

He can study the power cosmic all he wants, it doesn't mean he'd come up with anything worthwhile.

Surtur
Agree to disagree.

There is really no debate here. Unless you have feats for Batman showing him on the level of Doom. Which would be a neat trick, because said feats do not exist.

You're misunderstanding the kind of prep Batman is good at. He's not doing stuff Doom does like inventing time machines and power draining devices and all that. One of these people is a peer of Reed Richards, the other is Batman.

Originally posted by h1a8
Even so, Batman won't fall for that trick and he would drain Surfer dry. Appearances won't fool him.

Sweet! So in which comic was Batman shown creating a power draining device that could effect the likes of Silver Surfer, all on his own?

Prof. T.C McAbe
What do you have against gays and transgenders? Homophobe!

Nothing, I would never say something against KMCs finest! biscuits

Nibedicus
That's PIS and unusuable. Surfer still had powers when he desilvered. Otherwise he wouldn't be able to resilver. Galactus can easily sense the power cosmic, yet he didn't and went only by appearances. Basically Galactus was like "Surfer is powerless and dead cause he looks like it. So I'll leave now as my job is done. No bother to actually sense whether he still has power or really isn't dead because seeing is believing."

Um no. The point isn't that Galactus was "fooled" by the Surfer. The point is that Galactus tried to depower the Surfer and the Surfer prevented it. The Surfer resisted depowerment from an abstract that is THE authority on the universe on the Power Cosmic.

Based on what Earth-31 Batman "feats"?

h1a8
There is really no debate here. Unless you have feats for Batman showing him on the level of Doom. Which would be a neat trick, because said feats do not exist. There are devices and abilities that can drain Surfer, as Surfer has been drained several times. Batman has never prepped for 10 years for a single character. So we can logically amplify his short prep feats by a decent factor to estimate what he can do in 10 years. Imo 10 years is overkill.

Star428
He can study the power cosmic all he wants, it doesn't mean he'd come up with anything worthwhile.

Also, doesn't Surfer's cosmic awareness warn him when someone is plotting against him?

h1a8
Um no. The point isn't that Galactus was "fooled" by the Surfer. The point is that Galactus tried to depower the Surfer and the Surfer prevented it. The Surfer resisted depowerment from an abstract that is THE authority on the universe on the Power Cosmic.

Based on what Earth-31 Batman "feats"? wrong, Surfer didn't prevent anything. He simply fooled Galactus before he drained him completely. Otherwise, why would Galactus think he drained Surfer when he didnt. Galactus can sense the power cosmic far better than Surfer. He can do anything Surfer can do but to a greater extent. As far as Batman, read my post above this one.

Jmanghan
LOL? WTF! Silver Surfer stomps.

Surtur
There are devices and abilities that can drain Surfer, as Surfer has been drained several times. Batman has never prepped for 10 years for a single character. So we can logically amplify his short prep feats by a decent factor to estimate what he can do in 10 years. Imo 10 years is overkill.

It doesn't matter if devices can drain Surfer. What matters is if Batman can create them. You need more evidence then "10 years is a long time".

When did Batman specifically create this power draining devices you seem to be so sure he can create? If he never has, then what exactly has Batman ever built on his own(with zero outside help) that makes you think he could create these devices?

Here is the thing, how is Batman going to even be able to "study" the power cosmic? It's not like Silver Surfer is going to offer to show up and allow Batman to study him. Him merely knowing that the power cosmic is a thing that powers the Surfer..isn't really going to grant him any significant understanding of the power cosmic.

Nibedicus
wrong, Surfer didn't prevent anything. He simply fooled Galactus before he drained him completely. Otherwise, why would Galactus think he drained Surfer when he didnt. Galactus can sense the power cosmic far better than Surfer. He can do anything Surfer can do but to a greater extent. As far as Batman, read my post above this one.

Except that Galactus doesn't slowly "drain" the PC from his heralds. He removes it in one panel.

http://i.imgur.com/IC5ciXX.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/2/28028/808241-my_power.jpg

The Surfer did indeed trick him by de-silvering. Doesn't remove the fact that Galactus hit him with a depowerment beam and he managed to avoid getting depowered. This is fact.

Ahhh. The "just because" argument. You need to come up with actual "feats" in this forum, you know...

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Prof. T.C McAbe
Nothing, I would never say something against KMCs finest! biscuits

laughing out loud

h1a8
It doesn't matter if devices can drain Surfer. What matters is if Batman can create them. You need more evidence then "10 years is a long time".

When did Batman specifically create this power draining devices you seem to be so sure he can create? If he never has, then what exactly has Batman ever built on his own(with zero outside help) that makes you think he could create these devices?

Here is the thing, how is Batman going to even be able to "study" the power cosmic? It's not like Silver Surfer is going to offer to show up and allow Batman to study him. Him merely knowing that the power cosmic is a thing that powers the Surfer..isn't really going to grant him any significant understanding of the power cosmic. It's called extrapolation. We give Batman the benefit of the doubt based off his intelligence and resources.
Obviously 10 years prep is far greater than 1 month prep. Even with 1 month prep Batman can trick Surfer into granting him the power cosmic. Surfer only needs to change Batman's structure to be like his own. Afterwards, Batman can amp and learn his powers for a good year or so. Hybernate near a star or something. Then commenced to stomping Surfer (since he is the better fighter and better tactician ).

I believe Batman can create a device in 10 years that drains Surfer though. Solely based off Batman's short prep feats, intelligence, and the times Surfer has been drained by human technology and no how. And let's not forget that Batman can learn Magic as well.

Nibedicus
It's called extrapolation. We give Batman the benefit of the doubt based off his intelligence and resources.
Obviously 10 years prep is far greater than 1 month prep. Even with 1 month prep Batman can trick Surfer into granting him the power cosmic. Surfer only needs to change Batman's structure to be like his own. Afterwards, Batman can amp and learn his powers for a good year or so. Hybernate near a star or something. Then commenced to stomping Surfer (since he is the better fighter and better tactician ).

I believe Batman can create a device in 10 years that drains Surfer though. Solely based off Batman's short prep feats, intelligence, and the times Surfer has been drained by human technology and no how. And let's not forget that Batman can learn Magic as well.

You know this is Earth-31 Batman and not canon Batman right?

h1a8
Except that Galactus doesn't slowly "drain" the PC from his heralds. He removes it in one panel.

http://i.imgur.com/IC5ciXX.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/2/28028/808241-my_power.jpg

The Surfer did indeed trick him by de-silvering. Doesn't remove the fact that Galactus hit him with a depowerment beam and he managed to avoid getting depowered. This is fact.

Ahhh. The "just because" argument. You need to come up with actual "feats" in this forum, you know... Surfer only needs a tiny amount of power to gain full power. Galactus could have drained part and Surfer desilvered to speed up the process to get Galactus to stop early. There was no measure of time in the panel. Could have been less time than it took to drain the other heralds. Anyway, what kills your argument is that Surfer HAD TO TRICK Galactus, otherwise he couldn't prevent being drained. Otherwise, why trick Galactus when you can just outright prevent being drained?

Nibedicus
Surfer only needs a tiny amount of power to gain full power. Galactus could have drained part and Surfer desilvered to speed up the process to get Galactus to stop early. There was no measure of time in the panel. Could have been less time than it took to drain the other heralds.

Galactus would know how long it takes to depower his heralds. Again, he doesn't slowly drain them, he blasts them and "poof!", powers gone. As I have posted scans to prove it.

Anyway, what kills your argument is that Surfer HAD TO TRICK Galactus, otherwise he couldn't prevent being drained. Otherwise, why trick Galactus when you can just outright prevent being drained?

Because he needed a breather to plan his next move. So he played dead. It's on the comic:

http://i.imgur.com/oGWWGIE.png

So, actually, it's actually, your argument that falls apart. Check and mate.

h1a8
Galactus would know how long it takes to depower his heralds. Again, he doesn't slowly drain them, he blasts them and "poof!", powers gone. As I have posted scans to prove it.

Because he needed a breather to plan his next move. So he played dead. It's on the comic:

http://i.imgur.com/oGWWGIE.png

So, actually, it's actually, your argument that falls apart. Check and mate. Galactus obviously doesnt measure how long it takes to the nearest xsecond. He knows About how long it should take. Galactus is shown absorbing his power back. Whether it be through a beam or not is irrelevant. It was an absorbing beam. Surfer didn't have to deceive Galactus as he could have merely prevented Galactus from absorbing him. Time to plan? Surfer could simply run away or plan while Galactus is trying to drain him. I believed that Galactus absorbed most of his power, otherwise he would have noticed no energy coming to him. Either way it's PIS.

Branlor Swift
lol.

Isn't h1 the same guy who spams speedblitz nonsense everywhere? Yet he doesn't do it when Surfer fights a human. Surfer's last appearance was a speedblitz.

This will be interesting when the next Thanos/Surfer thread has Surfer demolishing Thanos in a split second though.

But this is why some people are on ignore...

h1a8
lol.

Isn't h1 the same guy who spams speedblitz nonsense everywhere? Yet he doesn't do it when Surfer fights a human. Surfer's last appearance was a speedblitz.

This will be interesting when the next Thanos/Surfer thread has Surfer demolishing Thanos in a split second though.

But this is why some people are on ignore... Who said Batman is fighting Surfer? I thought Batman had 10 years to take him down, unexpectedly. If I'm wrong and they do fight then this changes everything. Batman would literally have to prep by tricking Surfer or someone comparable to granting him powers. Otherwise Batman cant win.

Nibedicus

1) Galactus obviously doesnt measure how long it takes to the nearest xsecond. He knows About how long it should take. Galactus is shown absorbing his power back. Whether it be through a beam or not is irrelevant. P
2) It was an absorbing beam. Surfer didn't have to deceive Galactus as he could have merely prevented Galactus from absorbing him.
3) Time to plan? Surfer could simply run away or plan while Galactus is trying to drain him.
4)I believed that Galactus absorbed most of his power, otherwise he would have noticed no energy coming to him.
5) Either way it's PIS.

1) Lol. It takes one beam/blast to depower his heralds. I've shown it thru scans. Stop making stuff up.
2) It was a depowering beam. He literally needs to take away the power cosmic from his heralds for them to lose their powers, not "drain" them. FYI, the Surfer has had all energies drained from him before (Dynamo City) and he got his powers back as soon as he was exposed to ambient starlight.
3) It's right there in the comic. You can ignore on panel facts if you want, but that only makes you wrong.
4) Proof?
5) Classic. "I don't like it, it's PIS!" laughing

Again, you DO know this is Earth-31 Batman right?

Nibedicus
Who said Batman is fighting Surfer? I thought Batman had 10 years to take him down, unexpectedly. If I'm wrong and they do fight then this changes everything. Batman would literally have to prep by tricking Surfer or someone comparable to granting him powers. Otherwise Batman cant win.

FFS, read the stips. This is MILLER Batman from DKR. And it is implied that the scenario is similar to what Batman wants to achieve on that run.

You know there's a "No outside help" rule here right?

h1a8
1) Lol. It takes one beam/blast to depower his heralds. I've shown it thru scans. Stop making stuff up.
2) It was a depowering beam. He literally needs to take away the power cosmic from his heralds for them to lose their powers, not "drain" them. FYI, the Surfer has had all energies drained from him before (Dynamo City) and he got his powers back as soon as he was exposed to ambient starlight.
3) It's right there in the comic. You can ignore on panel facts if you want, but that only makes you wrong.
4) Proof?
5) Classic. "I don't like it, it's PIS!" laughing

Again, you DO know this is Earth-31 Batman right?

1. A continuous beam of unknown time limit that absorbs power AS STATED ON PANEL.
2. He takes his power by simply taking it from them. He doesn't destroy the power but reabsorbs it.
3. We also have the fact that Galactus can feel the power he absorbs just like he does when he absorbs ambient cosmic energy or life energy from planets.
4. The proof is common sense. Why wouldn't Galactus be able to feel power being absorbed into his being?
5. Not only Surfer being able to stop Galactus from draining his power but Galactus not being able to sense power is still inside Surfer is PIS at its finest. There is a bigger gap in power from Galactus to Surfer than Firelord to Spider-Man.

abhilegend
One scene doesn't override decades of scenes where Surfer has been depowered by random tech.

Are we seriously arguing Galactus can't depower surfer just because surfer pulled a last second switcheroo?

h1a8
FFS, read the stips. This is MILLER Batman from DKR. And it is implied that the scenario is similar to what Batman wants to achieve on that run.

You know there's a "No outside help" rule here right? Then batman can't win unless he talks to Surfer at the time of their fight, tricking him into granting him the power cosmic. Surfer is just too fast.

Nibedicus
Originally posted by abhilegend
One scene doesn't override decades of scenes where Surfer has been depowered by random tech.

Are we seriously arguing Galactus can't depower surfer just because surfer pulled a last second switcheroo?

It's a new tactic he developed during the run, so, actually, it literally overrides it.

abhilegend
It's a new tactic he developed during the run, so, actually, it literally overrides it.
Surfer has long been able to shed his silver glaze. It's not a new ability.

Also lulz @ it overriding everything over decades. It's a one time scene, the next writer wouldn't think about it if Surfer gets drained again.

Nibedicus
1. A continuous beam of unknown time limit that absorbs power AS STATED ON PANEL.
2. He takes his power by simply taking it from them. He doesn't destroy the power but reabsorbs it.
3. We also have the fact that Galactus can feel the power he absorbs just like he does when he absorbs ambient cosmic energy or life energy from planets.
4. The proof is common sense. Why wouldn't Galactus be able to feel power being absorbed into his being?
5. Not only Surfer being able to stop Galactus from draining his power but Galactus not being able to sense power is still inside Surfer is PIS at its finest. There is a bigger gap in power from Galactus to Surfer than Firelord to Spider-Man.

1) As stated where on panel? Pls, by all means, provide said panel.
2) uh huh. No one said he destroys it. And, yes, he reabsorbs the PC when he takes it away. How does this help your argument?
3) um, how is this in response to anything I said?
4) Because that's how the power cosmic works. You're not an authority on how the power cosmic works. Apparently, stripping said power from his heralds is something he can feel. How does this help your argument?
5) Irrelevant. You can scream "PIS it doesn't count". You'd still be wrong.

Nibedicus
Surfer has long been able to shed his silver glaze. It's not a new ability.

Also lulz @ it overriding everything over decades. It's a one time scene, the next writer wouldn't think about it if Surfer gets drained again.

But the tactic of him using it to prevent depowerment is.

Then we can discuss it when the next writer features it. wink

For now, deglaze = resist depowerment.

h1a8
1) As stated where on panel? Pls, by all means, provide said panel.
2) uh huh. No one said he destroys it. And, yes, he reabsorbs the PC when he takes it away. How does this help your argument?
3) um, how is this in response to anything I said?
4) Because that's how the power cosmic works. You're not an authority on how the power cosmic works. Apparently, stripping said power from his heralds is something he can feel. How does this help your argument?
5) Irrelevant. You can scream "PIS it doesn't count". You'd still be wrong.

1. The beam is shown to be continuous and operating over a certain amount of time. The time the beam acts is unknown. Galactus states he is reabsorbing the power.
2. It shows there is no zap or poof effect but a draining situation.
3. Same as 2.
4. Same as 2.
5. We have forum rules. Spider-Man vs. Firelord was deemed PIS by forum rules. Thus any larger gap in power is automatically PIS as well, especially when a character blatantly forgets his powers and becomes Super dumb.

Nibedicus
1. The beam is shown to be continuous and operating over a certain amount of time. The time the beam acts is unknown. Galactus states he is reabsorbing the power.
2. It shows there is no zap or poof effect but a draining situation.
3. Same as 2.
4. Same as 2.
5. We have forum rules. Spider-Man vs. Firelord was deemed PIS by forum rules. Thus any larger gap in power is automatically PIS as well, especially when a character blatantly forgets his powers and becomes Super dumb.

1. Unless you can come up with a scan proving your assertion of "continuous beam". You are just making this up. And no, him saying "reabsored" doesn't count.
2. Proof/Scan of it being continuous?
3. Um, no. I mentioned the reason Norrin decieved Galactus. It was to buy himself time. It's right there on panel. And you deflect by coming up with an unrelated comment...
4. Yeah, you really didn't.
5. Galactus used his depowerment beam to strip the Surfer of his powers. The fact that he didn't bother with the Surfer (who is, once depowered, less than a gnat to him) is actually really in-character for him. And characters have hid from Galactus before, so no, not PIS at all. Actually pretty in-character.

h1a8
1. Unless you can come up with a scan proving your assertion of "continuous beam". You are just making this up. And no, him saying "reabsored" doesn't count.
2. Proof/Scan of it being continuous?
3. Um, no. I mentioned the reason Norrin decieved Galactus. It was to buy himself time. It's right there on panel. And you deflect by coming up with an unrelated comment...
4. Yeah, you really didn't.
5. Galactus used his depowerment beam to strip the Surfer of his powers. The fact that he didn't bother with the Surfer (who is, once depowered, less than a gnat to him) is actually really in-character for him. And characters have hid from Galactus before, so no, not PIS at all. Actually pretty in-character.

Are you smoking something? You do know what continous means right?
The beam WAS SHOWN TO BE CONTINUOUS. There were 0 gaps in the beam. It operated over a certain but unknown amount of time. You are trolling now. Him saying reabsorbed proves he in fact reabsorbed the power.

Norrin deceived Galactus. But that doesn't take away that Galactus thought he absorbed the power in its entirety.

What? You didn't understand anything I said. It's PIS cause Galactus didn't sense the power gone from Surfer and was tricked by appearances. You cant trick Galactus by appearances. PIS cause Surfer in no way can stop Galactus from taking his Power away. Galactus can literally eat Surfer, absorb every atom if he wanted to.

Surtur
It's called extrapolation. We give Batman the benefit of the doubt based off his intelligence and resources.

But see you have to extrapolate something using something as a baseline. You have yet to provide any actual evidence Batman can do what you claim.

Your logic also makes no sense. The human technology that drained Surfer was created by someone far more intelligent then Batman.

Also, since when can Batman learn magic? When did he show an affinity for it? Or is this just another "extrapolation" too?

But wait, I just saw you said with a month's prep Batman can trick Surfer into granting him his power cosmic. Um...what? Surfer isn't going to give Batman his powers. There is no logical reason he'd ever give a human his own powers. He's going to get rid of his powers and give them to Batman because..why?

Nibedicus
Are you smoking something? You do know what continously means right?
The beam WAS SHOWN TO BE CONTINUOUS. There were 0 gaps in the beam. It operated over a certain but unknown amount of time. You are trolling now. Him saying reabsorbed proves he in fact reabsorbed the power.

Norrin deceived Galactus. But that doesn't take away that Galactus thought he absorbed the power in its entirety.

What? You didn't understand anything I said. It's PIS cause Galactus didn't sense the power gone from Surfer and was tricked by appearances. You cant trick Galactus by appearances. PIS cause Surfer in no way can stop Galactus from taking his Power away. Galactus can literally eat Surfer, absorb every atom if he wanted to.

Lol. Being accused of tolling by the biggest troll in here. Priceless.

It being a drawn a beam doesn't make it a continuos beam. The vast majority of energy attacks in comics are drawn as a beam. Even bullets at times. It being drawn as a beam literally proves nothing of the amount of time it takes. But it's cute how you try to pull things out of your butt all the time.

No one is denying that he reabsorbed the power. Why do you keep bringing back something that is not being debated?

Why should that be PIS? Galactus blasted him with a beam meant to depower him. Why should he think it did anything other than depower him?

You do understand we (or Galactus) don't necessarily have to "feel" something we absorb right? The same way we know we absorb nutrients when we eat. It's the act of putting food in our mouth (or, in this respect, blasting someone with a beam) that tells us we've absorbed something. It actually makes sense as the PC in his herald is so minute compared to his that he probably doesn't even notice whether he absorbs it or not.

StiltmanFTW
Nib, try wasting your time somewhere else. You're not going to convince h1 anyway. Nobody ever has. It's futile.

Nibedicus
Nib, try wasting your time somewhere else. You're not going to convince h1 anyway. Nobody ever has. It's futile.

You're right, stilt. I really should know better. -_-

h1a8
But see you have to extrapolate something using something as a baseline. You have yet to provide any actual evidence Batman can do what you claim.

Your logic also makes no sense. The human technology that drained Surfer was created by someone far more intelligent then Batman.

Also, since when can Batman learn magic? When did he show an affinity for it? Or is this just another "extrapolation" too?

But wait, I just saw you said with a month's prep Batman can trick Surfer into granting him his power cosmic. Um...what? Surfer isn't going to give Batman his powers. There is no logical reason he'd ever give a human his own powers. He's going to get rid of his powers and give them to Batman because..why? no, not get rid of them but alter Batman's structure to be like Surfer's own. Batman can now start absorbing ambient energy like Surfer's does. He amps a great deal before fighting Surfer.

h1a8
Nib, try wasting your time somewhere else. You're not going to convince h1 anyway. Nobody ever has. It's futile. so you would sit there and support someone obviously trolling because you don't like me. And then create a flame post? I should report you. So you support that the beam Galactus shot Rulk and Surfer with wasn't continuous? Because that's what you are basically saying.

Lol. Being accused of tolling by the biggest troll in here. Priceless.

It being a drawn a beam doesn't make it a continuos beam. The vast majority of energy attacks in comics are drawn as a beam. Even bullets at times. It being drawn as a beam literally proves nothing of the amount of time it takes. But it's cute how you try to pull things out of your butt all the time.

No one is denying that he reabsorbed the power. Why do you keep bringing back something that is not being debated?

Why should that be PIS? Galactus blasted him with a beam meant to depower him. Why should he think it did anything other than depower him?

You do understand we (or Galactus) don't necessarily have to "feel" something we absorb right? The same way we know we absorb nutrients when we eat. It's the act of putting food in our mouth (or, in this respect, blasting someone with a beam) that tells us we've absorbed something. It actually makes sense as the PC in his herald is so minute compared to his that he probably doesn't even notice whether he absorbs it or not. bullets shown as beams? You have truly lost it. We know that they are bullets. Was Galactus eye beams bullets? I don't troll. Anyone knows that. Galactus is shown shooting a continuous laser beam from his eyes yet we are to assume the beam isn't continuous. If this ain't trolling then I don't know what is.

Galactus shot him with a beam that absorbs. As an aftereffect Surfer would be depowered. Galactus can sense the power cosmic well as he did against Rulk. After draining Rulk he knew exactly that he's from Earth.

riv6672
OP says both SS and Bats are in character.
I highly doubt once Batman fakes his death SS is going to use super hearing AT THE FUNERAL, to discover Batman pulled a fast one.

Based
Originally posted by Scoobless
No

no expression

JayDaDon
OP says both SS and Bats are in character.
I highly doubt once Batman fakes his death SS is going to use super hearing AT THE FUNERAL, to discover Batman pulled a fast one.

You're right, because he'd know Batman was actually alive the entire time.

riv6672
Haha!

Nibedicus
bullets shown as beams? You have truly lost it. We know that they are bullets.

You know what? I'm not going to waste anymore of my time until you clarify your position completely. Backtracking, trolling and passing the buck is your M.O. So, I'll make sure that we get everything ironed out before proceeding.

So, your criteria for a continuous beam of energy that has a noticeable time frame was:

There were 0 gaps in the beam

0 gaps.
Beam.

Gap
noun
: a space between two people or things*
: a hole or space where something is missing*
: a missing part
: a separation in space*

Beam
noun
: a line of light coming from a source (such as the sun or a headlight)*
: a line of energy, particles, etc., that cannot be seen
: a long and heavy piece of wood or metal that is used as a support in a building or ship

*- possible definitions I assume you're using.

So, something drawn as a line of light with no seperation of space. Correct? (Y/N)

abhilegend
But the tactic of him using it to prevent depowerment is.

Then we can discuss it when the next writer features it. wink

For now, deglaze = resist depowerment.

He fooled galactus into thinking he was depowered including destroying his board. At no point did he actually resist draining.

Wait, you actually believe that? Lulz.

Nibedicus
He fooled galactus into thinking he was depowered including destroying his board. At no point did he actually resist draining.

Wait, you actually believe that? Lulz.

He fooled Galactus into thinking he was depowered yes.

Doesn't remove the fact that he was hit with the beam meant to depower him.

So, he fooled the beam into not depowering him? What are you trying to say here?

abhilegend
He fooled Galactus into thinking he was depowered yes.

Doesn't remove the fact that he was hit with the beam meant to depower him.

So, he fooled the beam into not depowering him?
He was hit, it doesn't mean that was supposed to instantly depower him. That's the whole point of that scene, surfer needed time to get at full power after whatever energies he lost.

He fooled galactus to not depower him entirely.

Nibedicus
He was hit, it doesn't mean that was supposed to instantly depower him. That's the whole point of that scene, surfer needed time to get at full power after whatever energies he lost.

He fooled galactus to not depower him entirely.

Ooooh, look at you Abhi! Nitpicking "feats" now, huh? /highfive wink

Why wouldn't it instantly depower him? And where was it stated on panel that Galactus needs time* to depower his heralds? It only took one panel to depower Morg. And why would Galactus even stop mid-depowerment? One would think that he would know how long it takes to depower his own heralds.

Edit. *-time enough to notice someone depowered and to shunt off one's eye beam, that is.

abhilegend

Why wouldn't it instantly depower him? And where was it stated on panel that Galactus needs time* to depower his heralds? It only took one panel to depower Morg. And why would Galactus even stop mid-depowerment? One would think that he would know how long it takes to depower his own heralds.

Edit. *-time enough to notice someone depowered and to shunt off one's eye beam, that is.
I don't have time to argue about this "feat". You think it overrides decades worth of scenes? Well good luck with that.

Agree to disagree at this point.

riv6672
I thought Nib was a new poster, but he seems to know who's buttons to try and push much too well. Name change?

Nibedicus
Nah, been here a good 3+ years. Stopped last year due to new baby/wife.

On vacation now and dropping by the forums to stretch my debating muscles til end of the month...

riv6672
Ha, okay.
Muscle atrophy explains a LOT.

Nibedicus
Ha, okay.
Muscle atrophy explains a LOT.

Yeah, a bit rusty. That and I'm posting on an ipad these days making formatting a nightmare. >_<

StiltmanFTW
Not long ago, I was posting from Nokia C5, now that was a nightmare stick out tongue

Nibedicus
Not long ago, I was posting from Nokia C5, now that was a nightmare stick out tongue

How?? :-O

StiltmanFTW
Downloaded Opera Mini browser, it's pretty good.

h1a8
You know what? I'm not going to waste anymore of my time until you clarify your position completely. Backtracking, trolling and passing the buck is your M.O. So, I'll make sure that we get everything ironed out before proceeding.

So, your criteria for a continuous beam of energy that has a noticeable time frame was:

0 gaps.
Beam.

Gap
noun
: a space between two people or things*
: a hole or space where something is missing*
: a missing part
: a separation in space*

Beam
noun
: a line of light coming from a source (such as the sun or a headlight)*
: a line of energy, particles, etc., that cannot be seen
: a long and heavy piece of wood or metal that is used as a support in a building or ship

*- possible definitions I assume you're using.

So, something drawn as a line of light with no seperation of space. Correct? (Y/N)

I just realized that we are arguing about stupid shit. We both agree that it was an energy beam right? Lasers are energy beams. The beam was used to absorb (suck) energy or power. Do you agree with that?

Other than that what are we really arguing about? Galactus shot Surfer with a beam that was meant to absorb his power back unto Galactus.
Surfer tricked Galactus by desilvering quickly. Galactus released his beam because he thought Surfer was depowered (PIS). Galactus went away. Surfer slowly resilvered.

h1a8

Edit. *-time enough to notice someone depowered and to shunt off one's eye beam, that is. It doesn't state that Galactus instantly depowers his heralds either. We don't know how long it took. Plus he depowered Morg differently than Rulk or Surfer. A single panel doesn't mean instantly. 3 seconds could be a single panel for all we know.

Galactus easily knows if he's absorbing power or something is resisting him from sucking power. Surfer kept just enough to power back up after Galactus left.

Nibedicus
Lol. Fine. Let's cut to the chase.

I just realized that we are arguing about stupid shit. We both agree that it was an energy beam right? Lasers are energy beams. The beam was used to absorb (suck) energy or power. Do you agree with that?

Agree. But I wouldn't say "suck". More like "strip".

IOther than that what are we really arguing about? Galactus shot Surfer with a beam that was meant to absorb his power back unto Galactus.

Will agree with this.

IOSurfer tricked Galactus by desilvering quickly. Galactus released his beam because he thought Surfer was depowered (PIS). Galactus went away. Surfer slowly resilvered.

Disagree with this.

It was never mentioned on panel that Galactus released the beam or that the beam was even the type that is released. Otherwise, it would have been mentioned in the comic, which it never was. It was more likely a beam that hits a target and creates an effect on impact (like the Omega beams) instantly stripping its target of their PC. It would make sense then for Galactus to assume that the Surfer was depowered and leave rather than being a complete scrub and simply shut off/disable his "draining beam" just cuz the Surfer LOOKS depowered.

Nibedicus
It doesn't state that Galactus instantly depowers his heralds either. We don't know how long it took. Plus he depowered Morg differently than Rulk or Surfer. A single panel doesn't mean instantly. 3 seconds could be a single panel for all we know.

Galactus easily knows if he's absorbing power or something is resisting him from sucking power. Surfer kept just enough to power back up after Galactus left.

My reply is on my reply to your last reply. Replying to this just makes things convoluted.

h1a8
Lol. Fine. Let's cut to the chase.

Agree. But I wouldn't say "suck". More like "strip".

Will agree with this.

Disagree with this.

It was never mentioned on panel that Galactus released the beam or that the beam was even the type that is released. Otherwise, it would have been mentioned in the comic, which it never was. It was more likely a beam that hits a target and creates an effect on impact (like the Omega beams) instantly stripping its target of their PC. It would make sense then for Galactus to assume that the Surfer was depowered and leave rather than being a complete scrub and simply shut off/disable his "draining beam" just cuz the Surfer LOOKS depowered.

We have to assume it was a suck since we have evidence of Galactus depowering another being by sucking energy out of them. At best, then neither you or me can claim whether it was a stripping beam or sucking beam.

But let's assume it was a stripping beam. Then we don't know how long it takes to strip. Galactus might have an estimated time but nothing exact. Surfer probably desilvered much quicker than it was going to take. Surfer wasn't completely stripped because he still had some power to recover.

Anyway I claim PIS for Galactus not sensing that Surfer was tricking him and that Surfer still had power in him. So if you claim that Surfer TOTALLY blocked or resisted the strip then it is really PIS due to the fact that Surfer would have had his FULL power inside him while appearing human and Galactus not know it and it's PIS because of how far in power Galactus is over Surfer that Surfer resisting being depowered is PIS.

Branlor Swift
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/Branlactus/Fights%202/Terrax/FF243-13.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/Branlactus/Raw%20power/Statements%20of%20power/FF258_27.jpg

Nibedicus
We have to assume it was a suck since we have evidence of Galactus depowering another being by sucking energy out of them. At best, then neither you or me can claim whether it was a stripping beam or sucking beam.

Where is the evidence of "suck"? If you're talking about the Rulk scan, it can be as easily interpretted as stripping the power and reabsorbing it after. But fine. Let's say neither of us can decisively prove one way or the other.

Edit. Galan's scans specifically says "strip" not suck. That settles it then.
Edit. Tho first scan seems to imply a flow from Terrax to Galactus. So we're back to square one. Lol.

But let's assume it was a stripping beam. Then we don't know how long it takes to strip. Galactus might have an estimated time but nothing exact. Surfer probably desilvered much quicker than it was going to take. Surfer wasn't completely stripped because he still had some power to recover.

Which is my problem with your theory. You're assuming Galactus is a fool. My theory assumes that he knows what he is doing. He struck his herald with the power needed to strip the Surfer of his PC so he had no reason to suspect that the Surfer managed to survive it. What saved him was either 1) quick thinking that allowed him to "save" his power by depowering himself. No power to strip = beam ineffective. Either that or 2) he outright resisted it and played dead to buy time (as the effort no dobut drained him).

Anyway I claim PIS for Galactus not sensing that Surfer was tricking him and that Surfer still had power in him. So if you claim that Surfer TOTALLY blocked or resisted the strip then it is really PIS due to the fact that Surfer would have had his FULL power inside him while appearing human and Galactus not know it and it's PIS because of how far in power Galactus is over Surfer that Surfer resisting being depowered is PIS.

Characters have hid from Galactus before (like the Hunger). It's actually quite easy as Galactus feels most everyone is beneath his notice. Surfer's "deglaze" have tricked creatures that have no eyes and in total darkness (so visual cues would be kinda useless) that doesn't know the Surfer enough to know the relevance of his glaze:

http://i.imgur.com/uwTCV0b.png

It is likely that desilvering hides and protects his power by shunting it somewhere deep inside him

Branlor Swift
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/Branlactus/Heralds/FantasticFour173-08.jpg

That would be the reason why it's allowed. He's absorbing nothing in return. Hell he even appeared hungrier after absorbing Terrax's power.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/Branlactus/Energy%20manipulation/FF243-14.jpg

Surfer straight up sidestepped a power draining attempt. I don't get the argument. This is an actual fight as described in the op. The same guy who thinks Thanos will lose to Surfer easily thinks a relatively "featless" Batman will beat him based on nothing. The hypocrisy for DC characters is hilarious.
Why time is being wasted is beyond me.

Batman won't drain Surfer because he can't/hasn't/wouldn't/doesn't know how.

With that being said, he one shots Surfer with a pelvic kick.

Nibedicus
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/Branlactus/Heralds/FantasticFour173-08.jpg

That would be the reason why it's allowed. He's absorbing nothing in return. Hell he even appeared hungrier after absorbing Terrax's power.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/Branlactus/Energy%20manipulation/FF243-14.jpg

Surfer straight up sidestepped a power draining attempt. I don't get the argument. This is an actual fight as described in the op. The same guy who thinks Thanos will lose to Surfer easily thinks a relatively "featless" Batman will beat him based on nothing. The hypocrisy for DC characters is hilarious.
Why time is being wasted is beyond me.

Batman won't drain Surfer because he can't/hasn't/wouldn't/doesn't know how.

With that being said, he one shots Surfer with a pelvic kick.

H1 already admitted that Batman loses like near the first few pages.

The argument has come down to "feat" interpretation now, tho. Basically:

Did the Surfer resist/prevent a depowering attempt or did he just trick Galactus into stopping the attempt at the mid-stream of a slow drain?

My problem with the latter argument is that it has zero mention in the comic in question about any of that happening, not the "slow drain", not a "stopping mid stream". It requires a heck of a lot of "extrapolation" with very little on panel basis other than a theory. And assumes Galactus is an absolute scrub (not knowing what it takes to depower his heralds).

The former creates a resistance "feat"/tactic for the Surfer and some ppl don't like it, I guess. But, for me, it takes ALL the evidence available in the comic and simply forms a conclusion based on it while not needing to add anything to it.

Branlor Swift
Ask h1 what Batman has done.

Galactus has to my recollection only ever taken a panel to drain a herald. Hell it took him a panel to drain full power Korvac and Korvac was operating way above any herald.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff240/Branlactus/Energy%20manipulation/Absorbing/gotgann29.jpg

Either Surfer either had impeccable timing as he still had gaze up or he resisted it to some degree which is... meh but it's a high end feat to say the least. Not the tactic since that seems grounded, but who it was used against. It's likely he got drained to some degree while his gaze was going down though since he pretty much has to have been. But as we saw that didn't seem to have an impact.

Or he just straight resisted being drained and only silvered down to play dead... I don't know. Surfer's been doing some ludacris bridges stuff in this series.

But I don't know why you're discussing Galactus with me. I'm no h1 when it comes to Galactus knowledge.

riv6672
...we are arguing about stupid shit.
Written over the (metaphorical) entrance to every Versus Forum on every Message Board across the Internet.

-wipes away tear-

Its, so beautiful....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.