Is this too harsh a sentence or am i

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672

Mindship
And once again I ask: where were these teachers when I was in high school?!

As far as the punishment goes: there should be no double-standards. Same offense = same response. Not that I necessarily, really think that; when it comes to sex, there really are differences between males and females, mentally, emotionally as well as physically. But then, where do we draw the line in terms of "what women can get away with", or, "That's okay"?

Basically, imho, cases like this thrust into the spotlight what is meant, or should be meant, by equality between the sexes. One size really doesn't fit all, but we like to make it so cuz that's easier to grasp and implement.

Lek Kuen
Originally posted by Mindship
And once again I ask: where were these teachers when I was in high school?!

As far as the punishment goes: there should be no double-standards. Same offense = same response. Not that I necessarily, really think that; when it comes to sex, there really are differences between males and females, mentally, emotionally as well as physically.

where a girl is mentally and emotionally varies just as much from girl to girl, there are many that are perfectly fine in being with someone older. Especially considering it's only 1 year younger than age of consent in most places. The problem isn't that men and women are different. It's that people like to think every guy and every girl has to be one way, when sex can be and often is more complicated in terms of who wants what.

Surtur
First of all this woman isn't bad looking so why the hell does she need to act skanky and bang a 15 yr. old? Have some dignity lady.

As for men in these situations getting punished harder then women, yeah, that is wrong. If you want equality then you get equality, you don't get to say you want equality only when it benefits you, but otherwise you don't.

There are a lot of double standards out there. I just hate seeing people go on about the double standards men practice while at the same time acting like there aren't a lot of double standards that work against men rather then for them.

The person who created the topic..you are not a misogynist. I think that word is thrown around too quickly these days. Some see any statements critical of females as automatically misogynistic. The funny thing is I bet if you went up to a random person on the street they could tell you what a misogynist is, but I bet if you asked them what the word for the male equivalent is..most people wouldn't know. The word is misandry, if anyone was curious.

Mindship
Originally posted by Lek Kuen
where a girl is mentally and emotionally varies just as much from girl to girl, there are many that are perfectly fine in being with someone older. Especially considering it's only 1 year younger than age of consent in most places. The problem isn't that men and women are different. It's that people like to think every guy and every girl has to be one way, when sex can be and often is more complicated in terms of who wants what. To be sure, cultural and individual differences are important, these influences further texturing the innate biological and psychological factors.

riv6672
Thanks for the thought out responses, folks...

dadudemon
I posted lots of stuff. Got too complicated. I deleted it.

I just can't agree that she should serve jail time.

NemeBro
Do you think that a man who sleeps with a fifteen year old student should serve jail time dadudemon?

dadudemon
Originally posted by NemeBro
Do you think that a man who sleeps with a fifteen year old student should serve jail time dadudemon?

Nope. He should probably be fired, however.

The way we view incarceration in the US is morally wrong, imo.

NemeBro
Originally posted by dadudemon
Nope. He should probably be fired, however.

The way we view incarceration in the US is morally wrong, imo. All right, I figured that was what you were going to say, but don't think I've ever seen you post about it before.

I'm cool with that then, and would probably agree in most circumstances. thumb up

riv6672
Not sure i'd agree with no jail time, but the amount of jail time seems to vary way too much between the genders.

-Pr-
I don't think the sentence is too harsh, no. She'll probably get out in five years anyway once her parole comes up.

Not that I think she should be allowed out, though.

That's my first impression at least.

riv6672
Not a believer in the "hot for teacher" defense, then?

Bentley
Nobody should go to prison ever awesr

riv6672
Haha, thats funny.

riv6672
Really wish you'd respond and say you were only kidding. Starting to worry...huh

StyleTime
I'm not sure she serve jail time personally. I remember a case a little while ago where it was determined that, in some cases, a minor can consent to sex with an adult. Something in California. I'll look it up if anyone wants.

It just makes me wonder. Are these kid/adult pairings, outside of coercion, always these horrible things society makes them out to be? Or do we just generally attach a stupid degree of importance to sex? Should this automatically be a criminal act for the adult involved?

|King Joker|

Robtard
"Instead of life in prison, she got 15 years with parole eligibility in five-and-a-half years."

Seems harsh considering there's cases of rape that received the same or less, iirc. Not that I really have a problem with the sentence, just seems odd considering.

riv6672
Exactly. Made me arch my non manicured eyebrow in puzzlement.

Surtur
It is true she doesn't deserve jail time. That is..as long as no man has ever been forced to serve any jail time for doing something similar. As long as that has never occurred, she doesn't deserve jail time. If it has occurred, even once, then yeah..she deserves it. Maybe not 15 years, but some time.

She also deserves to not only be fired, but be banned from holding any type of teaching position ever again. Hell, I'm talking..she can't even be hired as a friggin lunch lady in the cafeteria. She can't even be one of those people who stands on corners outside of schools and helps the kids cross the street.

Even worse..she was friggin MARRIED. Talk about skanky. I hope her husband divorced her asap. Husband should also probably get tested for STD's. I like how she talks about being sorry to the victim and his family and only at the end mentions the husband. He should of been the FIRST person you apologize too.

SayWhat
Will she have to pay back the incarceration costs the taxpayers will intially pay for her? If not, I am against it. Slap an ankle bracelet on her and have her report to a parole office evey week for 10 years and pick up trash in the park and watershed for the same duration. Society much better served that way. Behind bars for this offense, a bit harsh.

Surtur
Originally posted by SayWhat
Will she have to pay back the incarceration costs the taxpayers will intially pay for her? If not, I am against it. Slap an ankle bracelet on her and have her report to a parole office evey week for 10 years and pick up trash in the park and watershed for the same duration. Society much better served that way. Behind bars for this offense, a bit harsh.

It depends on if she'd of gotten the same sentence as a man. After all, society ultimately suffers a lot worse if we have different punishments for different genders even when talking about the same crime.

Of course the real sick thing here is all the stupid people going on about how if this was a male teacher who did this to a female student that would for some reason be worse. Which is just a big fat Nope. Male or female, this is bad.

riv6672
Who said that?

Certainly not i. My gripe isnt the crime itself being worse for having reversed genders, but the sentence.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.