Urban Legends & Myths

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
Post your stories here! smile

I'll go first.

So, I was fascinated with the Mothman during High School, I tried to convince all my friends he was real, even found a topix.com thread about him coming through my town. I did do something shady and posted a fake photo-shopped video on youtube of him flying above our local library, but that was when I was young and stupid.

Scribble
Wide-face people. I get worried about the wide faces coming up behind me. That and the chupacabre, or however you spell it.

Then there was this other thing, it's an urban story but not a myth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Hardy

This guy.

I walked past the place where this guy lived (and killed his victims) every day to school. The flats were right next to my school, too. Before he was caught, I remember everyone talking about a serial killer who lived around there, and we walked around the flats as a kind of dare to each other, thinking it was all bollocks. But it wasn't.

riv6672
Black eyed kids.
They show up at your door and ask to come in, or you go to pick one up hitching, and more come up to the car.
Either way, you wind up disappearing.
Ties into fairy abductions, supposedly...

Jmanghan
The White Death.

A little girl hated life, her parents found out she killed herself because she hatedlife, the girl's ghost kills her parents, and now in the afterlife, she kills anyone who tries to tell her story.

She'll knock on your door louder and louder till you answer, then she'll kill you by tearing you limb from limb.

Scribble
Fatface: he comes out of nowhere on your 40th birthday and eats you twice. Wow so scary amirite

riv6672
Originally posted by riv6672
Black eyed kids.
They show up at your door and ask to come in, or you go to pick one up hitching, and more come up to the car.
Either way, you wind up disappearing.
Ties into fairy abductions, supposedly...
http://th00.deviantart.net/fs38/200H/i/2008/359/7/6/black_eyed_kid_by_chris_foreman.jpg

Jmanghan
What if you say "no" to them coming in?

riv6672
Supposedly they cant/wont come in.
Watched a show on myths/cryptids with eye witness interviews.

Jmanghan
Ok, I'mma do that.

riv6672
It was creepy, as i lived in a fairly rural area at the time. My imagination easily provided knocks at the door...

Jmanghan
Just be like "**** off my property, *****, this ain't no sideshow, nigguh!"

Kharhmah
For some reason Slenderman really freaks me out, even though I know it's a made up thing. Suppose it doesn't help that there's loads of trees and foliage in and around my back garden.

riv6672
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Just be like "**** off my property, *****, this ain't no sideshow, nigguh!"
But...i AM the nigguh. wink

riv6672

QE™
The Hat man.

The hat man is appears to misty childern and follows them threw out their life. People mistake him for the shadow people but he is his own thing.

riv6672
What's a misty child?

riv6672
I love "true events" movies...

The 2013 movie Shadow People depicts a sleep study conducted during the 1970s in which patients report seeing shadowy intruders before dying in their sleep. The movie follows a radio host and CDC investigator who research the story, and the story is claimed to be "based on true events".

..makes a good movie even creepier.

Scribble
To be fair, though, "based on true events" usually means "not based on true events"

riv6672
So true, i just love suspending my disbelief for a couple hours.
Its one reason i had so much fun traveling through certain parts of Texas when i was stationed there.
My friends'd make chainsaw noises every time we stopped anywhere.

Scribble

riv6672
You're so right about our imagination. Camping like you do it is always a hoot.
Oh man, i love to get scared. Its so much fun!

Genesis-Soldier
lol the Babadook

riv6672
The boogie man, Australian style, eh?

dynamix
my native country has this superstition where if you are walking alone at night and someone calls out your name, DO NOT turn back or ask who's there. If it happens three times and you turn back/asks who's there all three time, a ghost in the vein of japanese ghost Yurei appears on the side of your bed.

riv6672
Oh HELL no. confused

Spawningpool
I live near cook nuclear plant and beside it there is a large abandoned tunnel. What the story is that there was a leak next to where the people lived so the cook nuclear plant gathered them and put them in the large tunnel for them to live so they would not spread the radiation. And since they were exposed to radiation they started to become deformed and ugly and savage some say that the males that kill people have cone heads and the females and children look as if they are losing hair and are missing limps. So what you are supposed to do is take your car down in the tunnel at night and turn off your car. Honk three times. Roll down your windows and throw out your keys. Then you are supposed to go and find and retrieve the keys and run to the car. And when you turn on your car. And when the head lights come on. They are supposed to be right in front of your car

riv6672
blink

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Spawningpool
I live near cook nuclear plant and beside it there is a large abandoned tunnel. What the story is that there was a leak next to where the people lived so the cook nuclear plant gathered them and put them in the large tunnel for them to live so they would not spread the radiation. And since they were exposed to radiation they started to become deformed and ugly and savage some say that the males that kill people have cone heads and the females and children look as if they are losing hair and are missing limps. So what you are supposed to do is take your car down in the tunnel at night and turn off your car. Honk three times. Roll down your windows and throw out your keys. Then you are supposed to go and find and retrieve the keys and run to the car. And when you turn on your car. And when the head lights come on. They are supposed to be right in front of your car Well, they aren't ghosts, just deformed humans.

Bring a gun and kill them from the safety of the car.

riv6672
Do not tempt fate!!! :no

Genesis-Soldier
once again resident evil becomes closer to fruitation

riv6672
OMG i literally read your post as Resident evil Extinction came on TV. It was at the end of last night's Smackdown, and i was letting the recording play til the end while i posted! eek!

Genesis-Soldier
... you know to much

Surtur
In Chicago the myth of "Resurrection Mary" is big. It's the standard "girl supposedly killed on prom night while standing on the side of the road" story. Though the reality is the girl wasn't going to any prom, but rather routinely attended a local dance hall. Sightings of her include just seeing her outside the cemetery she is buried in(Resurrection Cemetery, hence the name) to people even picking up a girl as a hitch hiker before she just vanishes. To reports of even girls in the road who pop out and make a car think they are about to hit her..and of course they go right through.

Strangely, I've had several family members who have had sightings of her. This is strange because these weren't family who knew each other always, as some of them only came into the family via marriage, etc. and a lot of the sightings happened before they even became a part of the family. Though one of the people who saw her once was my grandmother, who saw her in 1946.

Then you have Bachelors Grove, an abandoned cemetery that has been closed for decades, which of course doesn't stop people from going there due to its reputation as haunted. There are a variety of specific types of manifestations people have reported over the years. In the 1970s my father apparently was witness to one of them. Namely the "Phantom Farmhouse" which would be a house that appeared in the distance, seeming to somewhat shimmer. Except as you approached the house it seemed to get further and further away until it disappeared.

This city has a lot of history with spirits. I used to take a midnight tour every Halloween going to haunted locations in the city. Other kids were doing "haunted hayrides" and all that, but I knew I wanted the real deal.

Jmanghan
Be careful messing with that shit, dude.

Dangerous.

Surtur
It can be, something I unfortunately had to learn the hard way. Still I've felt drawn to things like that since a young age.

riv6672
That i understand.

dynamix
Originally posted by Surtur
In Chicago the myth of "Resurrection Mary" is big. It's the standard "girl supposedly killed on prom night while standing on the side of the road" story. Though the reality is the girl wasn't going to any prom, but rather routinely attended a local dance hall. Sightings of her include just seeing her outside the cemetery she is buried in(Resurrection Cemetery, hence the name) to people even picking up a girl as a hitch hiker before she just vanishes. To reports of even girls in the road who pop out and make a car think they are about to hit her..and of course they go right through.

Strangely, I've had several family members who have had sightings of her. This is strange because these weren't family who knew each other always, as some of them only came into the family via marriage, etc. and a lot of the sightings happened before they even became a part of the family. Though one of the people who saw her once was my grandmother, who saw her in 1946.

Then you have Bachelors Grove, an abandoned cemetery that has been closed for decades, which of course doesn't stop people from going there due to its reputation as haunted. There are a variety of specific types of manifestations people have reported over the years. In the 1970s my father apparently was witness to one of them. Namely the "Phantom Farmhouse" which would be a house that appeared in the distance, seeming to somewhat shimmer. Except as you approached the house it seemed to get further and further away until it disappeared.

This city has a lot of history with spirits. I used to take a midnight tour every Halloween going to haunted locations in the city. Other kids were doing "haunted hayrides" and all that, but I knew I wanted the real deal.

the phanom farmouse story was creepy as hell lol!

riv6672
I'd hate to be the one to reach that farmhouse.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.