The Morality of Batman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
7kscfb9XzPs

Batman won't kill. Period.

By allowing villains like Joker, Two Face, Scarecrow, Mad Hatter, and so many other rogue psychopaths to live, Batman has, in a weird way, allowed the murders of innocent victims to happen.

It's a very admirable trait that Batman values life and won't lower himself to kill like his gallery of rogues do. However............when does a hero say "Enough is enough!" Even Superman, in Superman #22, executed Zod and his allies (albeit an alternate universe) due to a sense of justice. What is the line?

Is Batman right or wrong? When is enough enough?

Does Batman need to kill? Is it truly necessary?

Where does justice draw the final line?

NB4 someone says "If Batman kills, then there would be no villains to tell a story."

relentless1
I don't think he needs to kill, what he needs to do is use some of that money and invest in better security at Arkham

Impediment
Originally posted by relentless1
I don't think he needs to kill, what he needs to do is use some of that money and invest in better security at Arkham

^This guy. thumb up

Silent Master
Bruce doesn't care about making Gotham a better place, he just wants to beat up bad guys.

Impediment
Originally posted by Silent Master
Bruce doesn't care about making Gotham a better place, he just wants to beat up bad guys.

O RLY?

AuraAngel
If Bruce kills them then he'll see himself as the same kinda person as the one who killed his parents. He is afraid of that and will not do it even with the empirical evidence that if anyone deserved the death penalty it would be the Joker.

Whether he is right or not is kinda irrelevant. Whether or not killing a criminal would truly break Batman is also not really the point. Wayne believes it will and has thrown up so many mental barriers against it that it will always be a non-option.

BruceSkywalker
Bruce could care less about Gotham, He just wants to shag the babes and beat up people... but he needs better armor like this ....

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab335/KATSUMOTO121/BM_Cv41-reg.jpg

once he has this armor, he will instill fear in the heart of gotham cities criminal element and if necessary kill

-Pr-
Originally posted by Impediment
7kscfb9XzPs

Batman won't kill. Period.

By allowing villains like Joker, Two Face, Scarecrow, Mad Hatter, and so many other rogue psychopaths to live, Batman has, in a weird way, allowed the murders of innocent victims to happen.

It's a very admirable trait that Batman values life and won't lower himself to kill like his gallery of rogues do. However............when does a hero say "Enough is enough!" Even Superman, in Superman #22, executed Zod and his allies (albeit an alternate universe) due to a sense of justice. What is the line?

Is Batman right or wrong? When is enough enough?

Does Batman need to kill? Is it truly necessary?

Where does justice draw the final line?

NB4 someone says "If Batman kills, then there would be no villains to tell a story."

I notice you showing us the clip from the Red Hood cartoon. Great one, though I would suggest reading the comic too, as Batman goes in to a bit more detail about why he has his rule.

In the comics at least, Batman has caused deaths, even directly or indirectly, many times over the course of his career. The whole "I don't kill" thing is a relatively new invention (really only since around the late 70s/early 80s), and as such, comes under a lot of scrutiny due to different writers using different methods to get his point across.

Also, Jensen Ackles should be in a comic book movie already. Holy shit, the dude is awesome. He could play any one of a dozen characters.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Impediment
O RLY?

Not counting Baleman, Bruce is generally depicted as one of the smartest and richest people on the planet and yet he spends most of his time and effort on beating up the same group of criminals again and again.

Think about how many times the comics have gone out of their way to show that Batman doesn't like other heroes coming to his city.

Tzeentch
Batman refusing to kill because of personal belief doesn't make it irrelevant, it makes Batman an idiot and morally inept.

Should Batman kill? The answer is yes, if he takes his role as "the defender of the innocent" seriously. If you know that someone is going to kill (as Batman is conciously aware that the Joker is going to break out of Arkham and kill hapless guards in the process when he sends him there), and you do nothing about it (As Batman does when he sends villains to Arkham knowing in advance they're going to break out and kill innocents), then you're basically committing negligence. It's not enough to make Bruce a bad person, but it's enough to make him a shitty hero.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Silent Master
Not counting Baleman, Bruce is generally depicted as one of the smartest and richest people on the planet and yet he spends most of his time and effort on beating up the same group of criminals again and again.

Think about how many times the comics have gone out of their way to show that Batman doesn't like other heroes coming to his city.

laughing out loud

I'm not being a dick. I genuinely laughed.

Placidity
He needs to use his influence, money and power to instate the death penalty.

Silent Master
Originally posted by -Pr-
laughing out loud

I'm not being a dick. I genuinely laughed.

rock

FrothByte
Honestly I feel like Batman is a bit of a hypocrite. He goes outside the law and uses violence to beat the crap out of criminals... then he refuses to kill. Now I understand that beating up someone and killing someone is completely different, but even policemen are ready to pull the trigger if it is absolutely necessary. I feel like Batman should avoid killing when he can but be ready to do it if necessary.

And if he really didn't want to kill, at least incapacitate his opponents permanently. I don't know, break Joker's leg or blind Riddler or something. Otherwise it just keeps repeating.

relentless1
I see both sides of the argument but I kind like Bats having the rule, its the one thing that sets him apart from the criminals themselves, it allows him to go all out in other ways, such as torture and scare tactics, beating people up and breaking bones; makes him more effective which is evidenced by the fact that everyone seems to be afraid of him which makes sense as people are just as afraid of pain as they are death, sometimes even more so. Like I said though Wayne needs to invest more money in beefing up the police dept, Blackgate and Arkham; try a little bit of preventative measures lol

Scoobless
Originally posted by relentless1
I see both sides of the argument but I kind like Bats having the rule, its the one thing that sets him apart from the criminals themselves, it allows him to go all out in other ways, such as torture and scare tactics, beating people up and breaking bones; makes him more effective which is evidenced by the fact that everyone seems to be afraid of him which makes sense as people are just as afraid of pain as they are death, sometimes even more so. Like I said though Wayne needs to invest more money in beefing up the police dept, Blackgate and Arkham; try a little bit of preventative measures lol

Yeah, but who would you be more afraid of, Batman or Midnighter?

Even the Punisher can instill fear in hardened criminals and he doesn't have flamboyant vehicles or scantily clad teenage boys following him into the shadows...

no expression

Utrigita
I find it kinda funny that you have used the film with Jason Todd as the Red Hood, because he is probably the character that in the end would most closely resemble what batman would become if he decided to go back on his "no kill rule". Atleast from my perspective.

Reflassshh
He's a prick, period.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Scoobless
Yeah, but who would you be more afraid of, Batman or Midnighter?

Even the Punisher can instill fear in hardened criminals and he doesn't have flamboyant vehicles or scantily clad teenage boys following him into the shadows...

no expression

True and even them being "afraid" of Batman doesn't do Gotham any good as it hasn't stopped any of the criminals from committing crimes.

All it does is feed Batman's ego.

Based
Originally posted by Reflassshh
He's a prick, period.

Quincy
He's a cool character and his comics are awesome.

But realistically, this rule is nonsense. Red Hood gets it.

Reflassshh
laughing out loud

I'm not being a dick. I genuinely laughed. His posts usually have that effect.

Arachnid1
Meh, this morality concept isn't unique to Batman. It's literally every super hero. Its the biggest fundamental flaw of comic book heroes.

FrothByte
Well the MCU heroes don't seem to follow it anymore.

Dreampanther
Also, Jensen Ackles should be in a comic book movie already. Holy shit, the dude is awesome. He could play any one of a dozen characters.

Jensen Ackles being cast as a superhero would break the internet. His awesomeness factor is already off the charts. Besides, who would you cast him as? You would probably have to invent a new superhero, like Hancock, otherwise you would have producers from Marvel and DC challenging each other to death matches to get him to sign with them.

Reflassshh
Just imagine Norman Reedus starring a superhero movie.

Robtard
Norman Reedus is going to be Affleck Batman's sidekick Robin.

Nibedicus
Why doesn't Bats just install internal tracking or inhibitor chips on his Rogue gallery that he catches?

Tracking devices implanted in them or maybe a small chip in the brain the shocks them or puts them to sleep when they even think of committing a crime or at the push of a button.

Better than killing them and better than letting them go to repeatedly kill innocents IMO.

Mindset
Batman doesn't need morals, he's rich, you filthy peasants.

Robtard
Wayne won't kill mass murders, but has no problem putting children in harm's way. Seems like an amoral dickphace to me

FrothByte
Originally posted by Mindset
Batman doesn't need morals, he's rich, you filthy peasants.

Batman doesn't need morals. He's Batman.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Bruce could care less about Gotham, He just wants to shag the babes and beat up people... but he needs better armor like this ....

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab335/KATSUMOTO121/BM_Cv41-reg.jpg

once he has this armor, he will instill fear in the heart of gotham cities criminal element and if necessary kill

Went from Batman to Bunnyman? stick out tongue lol

Inhuman
Batman is more concerned in keeping young pubescent boys living with him than ending crime.

Also Punisher would clean up Gotham in a few months if given the chance.

FrothByte
Originally posted by Inhuman
Batman is more concerned in keeping young pubescent boys living with him than ending crime.

Also Punisher would clean up Gotham in a few months if given the chance.

And solve their population problem.

Inhuman
Originally posted by FrothByte
And solve their population problem.

thumb up

Dramatic Gecko
Okay everyone is gonna lose their shit once I mention this but Batman could take some ethics classes from Goku. Goku will kill bad people if he has to. Raditz got one second chance and was immediately killed after. So was Frieza but he survived. Vegeta got a second chance and so did Piccolo and they turned out great.

Batman shoulda killed the Joker and pretty much everyone in DC in general by now.

Scoobless
What the hell is a "Goku"?... "Raditz"? stop making up words dude.

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by Scoobless
What the hell is a "Goku"?... "Raditz"? stop making up words dude.

dude not funny, anyway D.G and Inhuman have a point. batman needs a Z Fighters ethics and Gotham needs Punisher

Genesis-Soldier
ethics and morals

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.