Prom Dress Ban at Catholic School

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Surtur
This is a weird story:

http://www.womenofgrace.com/blog/?p=38514

Forgive the link itself it's some blog, but it still gets the jist of what went down. A bunch of mothers are freaking out and whining due to regulations on prom dresses, because the school recently said you need to send in a pic of your dress for approval in order to wear it to the prom. A lot of mothers cried "they didn't give us much time to change dresses!" and all that.

The problem is the regulations for the dresses were sent out in the beginning of the school year. The regulations are not new, the only new thing is the picture approval. Which, if you followed the guidelines sent out at the beginning of the year, wouldn't be that big of a deal. The mothers saying they have to scramble to get new dresses are in essence saying they knew the regulations and just bought their kids a dress that didn't match regulations anyways.

This isn't that important of a story, but I still find it weird that mothers are whining about a Catholic School acting like a Catholic School. Nobody seems to mention the fact that if the school didn't do the photo approval thing that would mean girls would be showing up to the prom all dressed up..only to be turned away at the door because their dress didn't fit regulations. Is that supposed to be the better option here? I think another reason the school did this is to prevent people from showing up in dresses that don't fit regulations and then feigning ignorance to the rules or even trying to guilt their way in. Now they have no excuse for showing up in a dress that isn't allowed.

I've heard some people argue that there might be girls from other schools attending the prom, since some guys might have dates with girls from other schools. That might be true, but it isn't the schools job to send out their regulations to every school nearby. If someone from another school is going to a catholic school prom it's on them to find out the regulations. Or rather, it's on the guys bringing them to let them know what the regulations are.

I guess I just found this weird since I was forced to go to a catholic grammar school and a catholic high school.

riv6672
I heard this in passing the other day. If the guidelines were sent out early, then there's little room to complain. I misheard and took it as it was all last minute.
Its a catholic school. They have every right not to deal with it. In public school.

Surtur
Originally posted by riv6672
I heard this in passing the other day. If the guidelines were sent out early, then there's little room to complain. I misheard and took it as it was all last minute.
Its a catholic school. They have every right not to deal with it. In public school.

Well yeah you can see how the people upset over this are misleading people. As it turns out, the school has had the same guidelines for 23 friggin years. The upset parents do not mention that.

I've seen some people say the parents are upset because it seems like the school doesn't trust them to make sure their daughters dress appropriately. The problem with that is you see a lot of mothers complaining about how they do not have enough time to get a new dress. One would only complain about that if they knew their daughters dress doesn't match regulations. So there is no way this is all about being upset over not being trusted. If the school didn't trust the parents..this kind of shows they were right not to trust them.

If you send you daughter to a catholic school then she doesn't need to show up to prom dressed like Kim Kardashian. These are not college students. I'm an atheist, but this is how Catholic's are..I know from experience. Kids are being sent to these places in order to have Catholic "values" instilled in them. If I ever had a child I'd never send them to a Catholic school, but if for some reason I did I wouldn't complain when the Catholic school acts like a Catholic school.

I've also seen people suggesting the parents should just "throw their own prom". As in, renting a hall or something and having a prom where the school dress code doesn't apply. That makes no sense to me though, if you're going to do that you might as well just pull you kid out of Catholic school then. Public schools are much cheaper.

They are being asked to send in pictures of their dress. Some people act like they are being cavity searched or something like that. I hope the school doesn't back down in this.

riv6672
^^^Cant get much more well put than that, Surtur.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.