Is Marvel dominating DC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sin I AM
Debate!

Rezactic
In terms of what?

In terms of live cinematic film, hell yeah

In terms of animation, video games and live TV shows, DC dominates Marvel

riv6672
No.

Insane Titan
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Debate! in general or on this forum.?

This forum is easily more DC bias

riv6672
As in no its not, not no lets not debate.

8swords
movies : marvel
TV shows : DC
cartoon/animations : toss up (but I'm edging to DC, after that x-men anime sh1t)
merchandise : marvel

AsbestosFlaygon
I think it's obvious with the drastic post-Convergence costume changes.

DC don't know what the **** they're doing.

Dramatic Gecko
I can route for DC's animated TV shows.

http://teen-titans-go.wikia.com/wiki/File:What's_wrong_with_us.png

Curse
Movies: Marvel

TV Shows: DC

Games: DC

Animation: DC

Merchandise: Marvel

Comics: Split

carver9
DC writes better comics imo (minus Hickman work). A lot of their work seems to be good as of late. Hickman Avenger books are the only stories I am liking right now. The F4 is doing good as well but DC comics are action packed imo.

Scoobless
Yeah, like everyone says, Marvel is doing much better in the cinemas.

DC's Flash and Arrow are getting better all the time, so is Agents of Shield but it had a really slow start.

Animated movies - DC, no question

I haven't played any comic based games

I actually haven't read any new comics for a few years, so I can't comment

Khazra Reborn
Depends on your preference IMO. Comics are mostly 50/50 for me right now, but marvel did take away Thor's ongoing, so they can pretty much suck my balls on that front.

DC destroys in animation, Marvel should be absolutely ashamed of their current animation efforts.

DC has a lot to prove on the movie front, but I think MoS is better than every MCU film except Avengers and Cap 2. I know that's the minority opinion, but I'm not too hot on most of Marvel's films.

carver9
What good Marvel films do they have minus Spiderman, Ironman, and Avengers? The last Xmen movie was good but the rest sucked.

Curse
Originally posted by carver9
What good Marvel films do they have minus Spiderman, Ironman, and Avengers? The last Xmen movie was good but the rest sucked.

GOTG

carver9
thumb up

What about ongoing movies?

Damborgson
You didn't like Thor 2?

carver9
Dang. Forgot about Thor. Ok, Marvel is doing good.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by Curse
Movies: Marvel

TV Shows: DC

Games: DC

Animation: DC

Merchandise: Marvel

Comics: Split

thumb up

Blair Wind
Yes.

In the court of public opinion, Marvel is thrashing DC to bits. DC does, however, have better animation, comics, and live action TV shows.

The problem is that Marvel has been doing so well with the masses via their cinematic universe that people are willing to give them more leeway. Plus, they have a ton of mobile games that have been coming out - while lower in quality than DC's offerings (the Arkham games being the pinnacle of that) - that are getting adopted quicker and being loved. Marvel is essentially marketing to the masses - and winning.

Not only that, but Marvel is, IMO, about to destroy the TV live action section with their Defenders line up. Arrow and Flash are both great and doing extremely well, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say Netflix + Marvel is going to up the ante. Not only that, but Marvel has the competitive advantage in that everything is unified in one story universe that makes sense. DC, for whatever reason, decided that none of their movies are connected to their TV shows, and Arrow/Flash are essentially left to make their own shared universe, with no backing from the movies to get more people to watch the shows or vice versa.

Marvel seems to be going for a popcorn feel with movies and a gritty take on the TV properties, where DC is doing the exact opposite (epic/gritty movies, with slightly cheesier TV offerings - Flash for all it's greatness definitely has a cheese factor).

All in all, Marvel is doing better in the one thing that matters most (aside from generating great stories): Marketing. And my guess is that the House of Mouse is behind that.

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by Damborgson
You didn't like Thor 2?

Thor is pretty much my favorite character in all of creative fiction. But, that said, his movies suck. The entire affair just reeks of not trying to be offensive. I can't stand the fact that they make the Asgardians aliens instead of gods, and worse yet, they take every opportunity to remind the viewers of this just to be sure they don't offend some goober in Eastern Texas. I straight up almost barfed when Natalie Portman was correcting Freyja (or whoever that was) on the fuctionality of that Asgardian device. Seriously, phuck that.

Make a movie that's true to Thor's character, with all of the mythology in tact, stop trying to appease the Bible Belt and make a movie for real fans.

Juntai
yeah theyve been killing in public opinion.. but to be fair thats largely a corporate decision. Disney had nothing until the Pixar Marvel Star Wars deals, so they needed tentpole movies, and a quick return on multibillion dollar investments. WB is still going through its reorgization to make the comics a big part of its entertainment business. Because it hasn't had to. They've been outdoing Disney since forever.

Mindset
DC is garbage, and I think we can all agree that anyone that disagrees can burn in hell.

Curse
Originally posted by Mindset
DC is garbage

thumb down thumb down thumb down thumb down thumb down thumb down thumb down thumb down

Mindset
Originally posted by Curse
thumb down thumb down thumb down thumb down thumb down thumb down thumb down thumb down Location: Canada

Already in hell. thumb up

Curse

Already in hell. thumb up

Sadly, this is true.

Branlor Swift

Already in hell. thumb up Don't lump him in with me. He's probably just from the UK anyway with a cover story.

Also it's a frozen over hell if anything.

But to answer Sin's well thought out thread... Absolutely.

Time Immemorial
This year Marvel has destroyed both the celestials and Beyonder race, huge fail.

carver9
Not satisfied at all with Marvel comics recently. Nothing mouth dropping minus Hickman work. They need to bring Wolverine back. Get Pak back on Hulk. Aaron Thor. A lot of changes are needed.

StiltmanFTW
Is Bada dominating Pr? Or is it the other way round?

--
What already was said. Live-action - Marvel, animated stuff - DC.

Golgo13
Not satisfied at all with Marvel comics recently. Nothing mouth dropping minus Hickman work. They need to bring Wolverine back. Get Pak back on Hulk. Aaron Thor. A lot of changes are needed.

It's going to suck when Hickman leaves, right? I think he'll be doing more creator owned work.

Golgo13
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Yes.

In the court of public opinion, Marvel is thrashing DC to bits. DC does, however, have better animation, comics, and live action TV shows.

The problem is that Marvel has been doing so well with the masses via their cinematic universe that people are willing to give them more leeway. Plus, they have a ton of mobile games that have been coming out - while lower in quality than DC's offerings (the Arkham games being the pinnacle of that) - that are getting adopted quicker and being loved. Marvel is essentially marketing to the masses - and winning.

Not only that, but Marvel is, IMO, about to destroy the TV live action section with their Defenders line up. Arrow and Flash are both great and doing extremely well, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say Netflix + Marvel is going to up the ante. Not only that, but Marvel has the competitive advantage in that everything is unified in one story universe that makes sense. DC, for whatever reason, decided that none of their movies are connected to their TV shows, and Arrow/Flash are essentially left to make their own shared universe, with no backing from the movies to get more people to watch the shows or vice versa.

Marvel seems to be going for a popcorn feel with movies and a gritty take on the TV properties, where DC is doing the exact opposite (epic/gritty movies, with slightly cheesier TV offerings - Flash for all it's greatness definitely has a cheese factor).

All in all, Marvel is doing better in the one thing that matters most (aside from generating great stories): Marketing. And my guess is that the House of Mouse is behind that.

Marvel has a ways to go to outdo DC in television. Yes, you have the Defenders on Netflix, but DC/WB has announced a TON of shows. Preacher on AMC (Probably right after Walking Dead), Supergirl, I Zombie, Teen Titans, Lucifer, Arrow, Constantine, Gotham, Flash, etc...

Right now DC has the edge in diversity.

carver9
Originally posted by Golgo13
It's going to suck when Hickman leaves, right? I think he'll be doing more creator owned work.

It is going to suck. He is Marvel's hope right now...comic wise.

Golgo13
Originally posted by Juntai
yeah theyve been killing in public opinion.. but to be fair thats largely a corporate decision. Disney had nothing until the Pixar Marvel Star Wars deals, so they needed tentpole movies, and a quick return on multibillion dollar investments. WB is still going through its reorgization to make the comics a big part of its entertainment business. Because it hasn't had to. They've been outdoing Disney since forever.

thumb up

WB usually is the leading studio in terms of box office, so they really had no need to rely on super hero properties like Disney/Marvel studios.

But that's going to change, because thanks to Kevin Tsujihara we've been getting TV show after TV show that isn't Batman/Superman related. And on top of that, we have a ton of movies to look forward to for the next several years.

Time Immemorial

Why has everyone so easily forgiven them for ruining the celestials and beyonders?

Stoic
It is going to suck. He is Marvel's hope right now...comic wise.

I'd like to see Claremont return, and do the X-Men. It would be great if Simonson and Byrne came back as well. These days, it seems as if the writers want to undo everything that was done, and stick us with weak uninteresting characters. However, I must admit that I do enjoy the GOTG, Nova, Angela, and Thor.

Golgo13
Originally posted by Stoic
I'd like to see Claremont return, and do the X-Men. It would be great if Simonson and Byrne came back as well. These days, it seems as if the writers want to undo everything that was done, and stick us with weak uninteresting characters. However, I must admit that I do enjoy the GOTG, Nova, Angela, and Thor.

I love Claremont, but his glory days are way behind him. I stopped reading X-Men around the time he wrote X-Treme X-men, which wasn't very good.

Time Immemorial
So its confirmed, people forgive marvel for ruining celestials and beyonders and fcking up Thanos vs Hulk.

relentless1
Originally posted by Insane Titan
in general or on this forum.?

This forum is easily more DC bias

laughing out loud

Blair Wind
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
So its confirmed, people forgive marvel for ruining celestials and beyonders and fcking up Thanos vs Hulk.

Because no one cares.

Blair Wind
Marvel has a ways to go to outdo DC in television. Yes, you have the Defenders on Netflix, but DC/WB has announced a TON of shows. Preacher on AMC (Probably right after Walking Dead), Supergirl, I Zombie, Teen Titans, Lucifer, Arrow, Constantine, Gotham, Flash, etc...

Which is great, and I think DC has a strong offering in TV, but quantity =/= quality. I think they are good, so it's just a matter of scaling that up, but not all of them will be hits like Arrow/Flash (and they might have been if they were all connected, but nooooo).

Marvel is just doing a better job at creating their shared universe - live action all goes together, comic stuff all goes together.

DC is currently fractured on both ends.

Time Immemorial
Because no one cares.

Why not? They were awesome.

Golgo13
Which is great, and I think DC has a strong offering in TV, but quantity =/= quality. I think they are good, so it's just a matter of scaling that up, but not all of them will be hits like Arrow/Flash (and they might have been if they were all connected, but nooooo).

Marvel is just doing a better job at creating their shared universe - live action all goes together, comic stuff all goes together.

DC is currently fractured on both ends.

DC/WB doesn't intend to have a TV shared universe, so it really doesn't matter. Asside from the Arrow/Flash thing. I'd rather have stand alones than everything connected.

Quality wise, it's all subjective, but DC does have the diversity edge, which is important, IMO.

Blair Wind
^Which is the main problem, I think.

By not having everything connected they continually diminish the brand instead of trying to utilize synergy. People's expectations of shared world's was created (and I mean this for the masses and recently) by Marvel. Being Anti-Marvel doesn't make DC stronger in this case - it leaves fans confused. Each new string makes the whole stronger - people who like Iron Man are going to watch Daredevil because it's part of the Marvel Universe.

Constantine is currently suffering, and I can't help but think that an Oliver Queen or Barry cameo may help.

Golgo13
^Which is the main problem, I think.

By not having everything connected they continually diminish the brand instead of trying to utilize synergy. People's expectations of shared world's was created (and I mean this for the masses and recently) by Marvel. Being Anti-Marvel doesn't make DC stronger in this case - it leaves fans confused. Each new string makes the whole stronger - people who like Iron Man are going to watch Daredevil because it's part of the Marvel Universe.

Constantine is currently suffering, and I can't help but think that an Oliver Queen or Barry cameo may help.

I actually don't want that. Constantine works in his own corner of the universe and that's how it should be. Constantine has decent ratings overall, but not for NBC. People actually are trying to save the show and it might be saved by switching the show to another channel.

Supposedly Agents of SHIELD is taking ratings hit and Agent Carter isn't doing all that great (Some say it won't last 3 seasons), yet those are all apart of the MCCU.

Not everything needs to be connected for it to be a success. Gotham for example will survive next season.

And then you have Vertigo shows in the works as well.

Damborgson
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Thor is pretty much my favorite character in all of creative fiction. But, that said, his movies suck. The entire affair just reeks of not trying to be offensive. I can't stand the fact that they make the Asgardians aliens instead of gods, and worse yet, they take every opportunity to remind the viewers of this just to be sure they don't offend some goober in Eastern Texas. I straight up almost barfed when Natalie Portman was correcting Freyja (or whoever that was) on the fuctionality of that Asgardian device. Seriously, phuck that.

Make a movie that's true to Thor's character, with all of the mythology in tact, stop trying to appease the Bible Belt and make a movie for real fans.

Oh I hear you. But I had to turn my brain off for most of that. I understand its supposed to be politically correct and that I have to deal with that I guess. I like to think that most people wouldn't get offended by them being "gods" or all white like you'd think nordic gods would be, and slightly beyond the understanding of jane foster at that point in her relationship with Thor, but what can you do.

iceman24567
IZombie probably wont last more than 1 season

Golgo13
Originally posted by iceman24567
IZombie probably wont last more than 1 season

I haven't watch it yet, but so far the ratings have been good, since it's on the CW. It's been holding well so far with solid reviews. I can see it going for another season. There wasn't that many TPB's to complete the story, so it could go for a few more seasons and that would be it.

iceman24567
I haven't watch it yet, but so far the ratings have been good, since it's on the CW. It's been holding well so far with solid reviews. I can see it going for another season. There wasn't that many TPB's to complete the story, so it could go for a few more seasons and that would be it. Its not a good show imo Constantine is better hopefully its moved to the CW

playa1258
WB/DC should move some of their shows to HBO or Netflix. Being on Netflix is going give Marvel a advantage since they won't have to worry about censorship.

Star428

????

The first 3 X-Men movies rocked and so did both of the F4 movies. I agree that Avengers was also very good but the new Spidey movies suck balls big time (original trilogy was really good though). Iron Man movies were pretty decent but nothing to write home about.

Oh yeah, Wolverine was really good too and I hate that character.

DC, of course, has the better animated movies by far. I have most of them on blu-ray and I never get tired of watching them. The only Marvel animations I liked was the Hulk vs Thor/Hulk vs Wolverine double feature disc.

krisblaze
Like Blair said, Marvel is probably dominating DC is the eye of the public.

That's probably because movies reach most people.

Comics is a wash, both companies have been actively crippling their best books the last 10 years.

I don't follow merchandise.

Animated movies is a clear win for DC.

TV shows is in DC's court but neither are really putting up quality stuff.

Bentley
I thought Marvel sucked at comics back when Bendis was in Avengers.

Since then they have done their best to prove they can suck, much much more.

golem370
Celestials part sucked, elder of the universe sucked, Juggernaut part sucked, and the Silver Sufer/Galactus sucked. Amazing Spider-Man better Peter but the first 2 Sider-Man movies were better movies.

kevdude
DC is out there in the Six Flags parks also but I don't think it helps them out as much as it helps Six Flags. Marvel is dominating in public opinion.

SamZED
Originally posted by Insane Titan
in general or on this forum.?

This forum is easily more DC bias Dunno about comsmics but when it comes to streets/metas this forum is very Marvel biased. I see that and I'm a marvel fan.

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by Bentley
I thought Marvel sucked at comics back when Bendis was in Avengers.

Since then they have done their best to prove they can suck, much much more. Not in the least.

Although Rem's Avengers kind of sucks but it's nowhere near Bendis. Bendis has ceased trying in the least though since he's been off the Avengers/Sentry so it'd be even worse now.

leonidas
Originally posted by krisblaze

Comics is a wash, both companies have been actively crippling their best books the last 10 years.

huh? i think both arrow and flash have been outstanding. i think having ray palmer show up in arrow has been hilarious (i think they are slowly building toward a jla team....) of course there are differences between show and book, but i'm fine with that and think the shows have pulled off the changes in ways that work really well. shield has been good enough, but not great. i think suicide squad is on the horizon which i think will be really good as well.

marvel owns the movies for now. looking forward to batman/superman and i'm jacked for the jla movie release. REALLY jacked....

i call the books a push, and merchandise? meh, who cares. smile

Blair Wind
^Leo, not sure if you're aware, but Firestorm, Atom, Captain Cold, Original Canary (Sarah), Hawkwoman, and Rip Hunter are all going to be in an Arrow/Flash Universe spinoff.

To be honest, I've always preferred the DC Universe over the Marvel universe. Besides Iron Man, Spiderman and the X-men, none of the other characters ever really grabbed me. But I can admit Marvel currently owns DC in just about everything that matters.

Also, early reviews of Daredevil are putting it at an outstanding Netflix level.

krisblaze
Originally posted by leonidas
huh? i think both arrow and flash have been outstanding. i think having ray palmer show up in arrow has been hilarious (i think they are slowly building toward a jla team....) of course there are differences between show and book, but i'm fine with that and think the shows have pulled off the changes in ways that work really well. shield has been good enough, but not great. i think suicide squad is on the horizon which i think will be really good as well.

Outstanding compared to what though?

They're way better than Marvel's TV, but I still think they're pretty poor as far as television goes.

I watch arrow, hoping it'll get better, but me and the missus more or less watched the first 2 seasons of arrrow because they were comically bad.

The Flash hasn't disappointed me but the shows are still painfully predictable, a lot of bad dialogue and paper thing characters.

Golgo13

Marvel has merchandise down hard. The reason Kevin Tsujihara wanted to release a 10 film slate was so he can close the gap by at least half in the coming years.

That's the great thing about movies and the relation between merchandise. Obviously Marvel has had more films coming out in the past several years and now WB is going to bank on the profits by releasing at least 2 films a year now.

Star428
^Leo, not sure if you're aware, but Firestorm, Atom, Captain Cold, Original Canary (Sarah), Hawkwoman, and Rip Hunter are all going to be in an Arrow/Flash Universe spinoff.

To be honest, I've always preferred the DC Universe over the Marvel universe. Besides Iron Man, Spiderman and the X-men, none of the other characters ever really grabbed me. But I can admit Marvel currently owns DC in just about everything that matters.

Animated films don't matter? That's news to me. I enjoy them just as much if not more than non-animated movies. And I don't give a shit about merchandise. It doesn't matter to me at all. I haven't read any comics recently but most people seem to think their about even in that area. Video games I have to give a clear edge to DC and those, although not too important, are more so than merchandise to me. Really, non-animated movies is the only area that matters to me in which Marvel is clearly dominating DC.

I think you are placing too much emphasis on the value of non-animated movies as if they are >>>>>> than everything else. Maybe that's true to you but most certainly not me. And I don't really care what the general public's opinion is or the fact that non-animated movies are what get the most attention from them.

Rezactic
DC is really slaughtering Marvel in the video game department. Animation too although DC Animated movies have kind of suffered from Bruce Timm leaving the animation department, their still better than Marvel's animated efforts.

zom1967
Nothing against Dc,I have been a marvel zombie since 1972.Always thought Marvel was more for adults,DC for kids.Super friends ect.,where so bad zan and jana wonderdog ect.,gave me a permanent bias against D.C.And most of marvel movie are better,I like Superman and Batman,but then you have guys like myxylplic who i can`t stand a cosmic dummy with such power!

Insane Titan
Everything you just said can be flipped on it's head for either company

Star428
Originally posted by zom1967
Nothing against Dc,I have been a marvel zombie since 1972.Always thought Marvel was more for adults,DC for kids.Super friends ect.,where so bad zan and jana wonderdog ect.,gave me a permanent bias against D.C.And most of marvel movie are better,I like Superman and Batman,but then you have guys like myxylplic who i can`t stand a cosmic dummy with such power!

It's funny you say that about Marvel being for adults and DC being for kids because it always seemed the other way around to me.

krisblaze
Somehow, despite the heroes very rarely killing, DC always seemed waaay darker to me.

Insane Titan
Somehow, despite the heroes very rarely killing, DC always seemed waaay darker to me. thumb up same here.

Couldn't see marvel doing a story like Identity crisis

leonidas

Also, early reviews of Daredevil are putting it at an outstanding Netflix level.

yeah, i'd read about most of that, though the rip hunter is news to me. that would be cool. thumb up dc was what i first grew up reading, then marvel sort of took over but i've always kept up with cd. hard to say which universe i prefer. not sure if you're right or not about the owning. to me books are about equal (dc might be slightly ahead atm imo--marvel's never done anything like multiversity...) movies are clearly marvel's (though dark knight was at least as good as anything in marvel). tv series are clearly dc's imo, but i am looking very forward to daredevil. thumb up

Outstanding compared to what though?

They're way better than Marvel's TV, but I still think they're pretty poor as far as television goes.

I watch arrow, hoping it'll get better, but me and the missus more or less watched the first 2 seasons of arrrow because they were comically bad.

The Flash hasn't disappointed me but the shows are still painfully predictable, a lot of bad dialogue and paper thing characters.

i'd disagree pretty much completely with your assessment of arrow. my kids and i love it. is it house of cards? well, no, it's not supposed to me. but is it fun, with some good action? absolutely imo. do i get a kick out of recognizing names and trying to guess who is who? for sure. these aren't intended to be pretentious works of art, they won't win any emmy's. but they don't have to--i think they are fun and i look very forward to watching them every week. i guess it's all about expectations.

Omega Vision
I actually don't want that. Constantine works in his own corner of the universe and that's how it should be. Constantine has decent ratings overall, but not for NBC. People actually are trying to save the show and it might be saved by switching the show to another channel.

Supposedly Agents of SHIELD is taking ratings hit and Agent Carter isn't doing all that great (Some say it won't last 3 seasons), yet those are all apart of the MCCU.

Not everything needs to be connected for it to be a success. Gotham for example will survive next season.

And then you have Vertigo shows in the works as well.
NBC is probably the most notorious network for cancelling shows that have cult followings. NBC doesn't understand that Nielsen ratings don't equate to absolute popularity in the age of Hulu, Netflix, DVRs, and torrenting.

krisblaze
@ Leo extreme quality relativism.

The father of stagnation and the mother of garbage-tv.

Meet me for swords at dawn.

leonidas
@ Leo extreme quality relativism.

The father of stagnation and the mother of garbage-tv.

Meet me for swords at dawn.

laughing out loud

i prefer six-shooters at high noon. sneer

only slightly more seriously--which of the comic movies is your fave? do you think it holds up to the all-time great movies OUTSIDE the comic genre?

juggernaut74
Marvel is winning the cinema(for now) but for me DC has better tv shows, video games, and various animated stuff that blows Marvel away.

Newjak
No question Marvel is dominating cinema.

DC had TV on lockdown it seemed but Agents of Sheild/Agent Carter/ now Daredevil seem to closing that gap.

Games from what I hear the Marvel mobile games are doing well but DC gets the nod because of the recent Batman games.

Comics I haven't really been keeping up with that as much as I should.

Still I think Marvel is winning the overall war just because I think they have the more recognized brand right now. I know more people are looking forward to Avengers 2 than they are Batman/Superman.

krisblaze
laughing out loud

i prefer six-shooters at high noon. sneer

only slightly more seriously--which of the comic movies is your fave? do you think it holds up to the all-time great movies OUTSIDE the comic genre?

I think Cap 2 and Iron Man 1 probably hold up the best outside of the genre now. Fairly streamlined plots, very broad appeal and popular actors.

My favourite comic movies aren't from Marvel or DC, but my favourite from those two are probably

X-Men 1 from Marvel and MoS from DC.

With First class and Batman Begins on close seconds.

AsbestosFlaygon
Marvel has that "mass appeal" going on for quite some time now, with their movies and merchandise.
They're aiming for the PG guys (parents and children), which understandably generates the biggest sales/profits.

DC always had that 'dark, broody' storylines and plots that cater more to the tweens and single-30-somethings. At least, that's how I see it.
I can't imagine Marvel making a storyline as deep and complex as DC's Watchmen series, or Vertigo's Lucifer/Sandman series.

leonidas
I think Cap 2 and Iron Man 1 probably hold up the best outside of the genre now. Fairly streamlined plots, very broad appeal and popular actors.

My favourite comic movies aren't from Marvel or DC, but my favourite from those two are probably

X-Men 1 from Marvel and MoS from DC.

With First class and Batman Begins on close seconds.

cap 2 was awesome. avengers is still my fave comic movie though. dark knight was fantastic and i really like mos as well. see, we're not completely different pages. thumb up

anyway, i wouldn't say marvel is dominating dc. ahead maybe, but not dominating imo.

dynamix

there's gonna be a Lucifer series? WORD!

abhilegend
Originally posted by dynamix
there's gonna be a Lucifer series? WORD!
Don't get your hopes up. Lucifer will be helping police to solve crimes.

I mean what the ****?

Mindset
Originally posted by Omega Vision
NBC is probably the most notorious network for cancelling shows that have cult followings. NBC doesn't understand that Nielsen ratings don't equate to absolute popularity in the age of Hulu, Netflix, DVRs, and torrenting. Fox.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by SamZED
Dunno about comsmics but when it comes to streets/metas this forum is very Marvel biased. I see that and I'm a marvel fan.

That's because Marvel actually focuses on those characters...

DC is all like: NEW HERALD #5948373 LOOK THIS ONE HAS SUPERMAN'S POWERS TOO.

Golgo13
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
That's because Marvel actually focuses on those characters...

DC is all like: NEW HERALD #5948373 LOOK THIS ONE HAS SUPERMAN'S POWERS TOO.

DC has more street books, though. The Batman line alone would dominate Marvel's. wink

krisblaze
^Yeah maybe, but the best of Daredevil and Spidey can easily compete with the best of Batman.

Especially since the Daredevil books aren't afraid to drag Matt through the shitter.

Even the best of Batman's arcs seem eerily similar, though that might be because Snyder's just a copying hack.

Golgo13
^Yeah maybe, but the best of Daredevil and Spidey can easily compete with the best of Batman.

Especially since the Daredevil books aren't afraid to drag Matt through the shitter.

Even the best of Batman's arcs seem eerily similar, though that might be because Snyder's just a copying hack.

I don't count Spidey as a street, though. I'm also not talking about quality, but quantity. It's a misconception that DC only focuses on herald level characters when they have:

Deathstroke
Green Arrow
Midnighter
Grifter
Suicide Squad
Harley Quinn
Gotham Academy
Batman
Grayson
Batwing
Batgirl
Batwoman
Blackhawks
Red Hood
Robin
Secret Six
GI Zombie
Catwoman

All coming out within the last few years or so.

leonidas

wth--snyder is excellent, at times even better than that. american vampire was fantastic. damn, dude, maybe you should just rename yourself krisnegative. sneer

the best of dd can certainly compete with some of batman's best though.

krisblaze
Snyder's excellent?

Copying+pasting other people's arcs and adding a bit more gore for XXXTREEEEEME does's qualify as excellent in my book 313

leonidas
have you read american vampire? and seriously, what arcs do you feel like he really seemed to steal?

leonidas
did you really not like the court of owls arc??

krisblaze
have you read american vampire? and seriously, what arcs do you feel like he really seemed to steal?

I read up until the point where she started sleeping with the "evil" vampire. It's been a few years.

Court of Owls especially, though a lot of his Batman stuff feels extremely familiar. Not in Morrison's "referencing old obscure stuff" familiar way, but in a "I've seen this before" kind of way.

I'm coming off way too strong on Snyder though. The initial post was just an exaggerated claim.

leonidas
ah, ok, cool then. i continued to really like AV. skinner sweet was awesome. and i thought most of his batman run was outstanding. i was about ready to call in my ultimate trump card though--leifield doesn't like him either--that says more for snyder than i ever could. thumb up

quanchi112
Marvel currently has their fist shoved up Dc's tiny *******. Make mine marvel.

Mindset
Originally posted by quanchi112
Marvel currently has their fist shoved up Dc's tiny *******. Make mine marvel. I've been waiting for this. thumb up

quanchi112
I've been waiting for this. thumb up Dc fans won't contest my prophetic words.

Golgo13
I've been waiting for this. thumb up

Kinky.

Mindset
Kinky. http://images.killermovies.com/forums/custom_avatars/avatar118627_28.gif

Golgo13
YEAHH!. Even more kinky. stick out tongue

Blair Wind
Originally posted by Star428
Animated films don't matter? That's news to me. I enjoy them just as much if not more than non-animated movies. And I don't give a shit about merchandise. It doesn't matter to me at all. I haven't read any comics recently but most people seem to think their about even in that area. Video games I have to give a clear edge to DC and those, although not too important, are more so than merchandise to me. Really, non-animated movies is the only area that matters to me in which Marvel is clearly dominating DC.

I think you are placing too much emphasis on the value of non-animated movies as if they are >>>>>> than everything else. Maybe that's true to you but most certainly not me. And I don't really care what the general public's opinion is or the fact that non-animated movies are what get the most attention from them.

erm Not what I said. Animated films matter, but more so to the people who are already comic book fans. You're talking content, I'm talking marketing + content.

Marvel is winning the war of public perception & has high story telling capabilities in cinematic movies and TV offerings. DC is currently winning TV, but if Daredevil does well (and separates itself from all of the other Marvel offerings which focus on Action and Comedy by being as dark as it seems it will be) I think the Defender's line up will be challenging that market for dominance.

Animated is a win for DC, comics are always going to be equal, and DC is winning in games but lets be honest that's almost solely attributed to Arkham games, and slightly to DCUO (which is better than Marvel Heroes IMO).

I'm not talking about myself (I prefer DC), but I'm standing back and looking at the landscape and Marvel is winning. There's really no room for discussion on that.

Mindset
erm Not what I said. Animated films matter, but more so to the people who are already comic book fans. You're talking content, I'm talking marketing + content.

Marvel is winning the war of public perception & has high story telling capabilities in cinematic movies and TV offerings. DC is currently winning TV, but if Daredevil does well (and separates itself from all of the other Marvel offerings which focus on Action and Comedy by being as dark as it seems it will be) I think the Defender's line up will be challenging that market for dominance.

Animated is a win for DC, comics are always going to be equal, and DC is winning in games but lets be honest that's almost solely attributed to Arkham games, and slightly to DCUO (which is better than Marvel Heroes IMO).

I'm not talking about myself (I prefer DC), but I'm standing back and looking at the landscape and Marvel is winning. There's really no room for discussion on that. Most people don't even know about the vast majority of the animated movies.

quanchi112
Most people don't even know about the vast majority of the animated movies. Dc fans are so upset public perception is so in marvels favor they will talk about the animated films the general public does not give a shit about. Being number two for so long makes their fans lash out.

Khazra Reborn
Any real fan of anything, comics or otherwise won't give 1/10th of a shit about public perception of whatever they enjoy. If you lash out because of what the sheep think, then you're bonafied tool.

quanchi112
Any real fan of anything, comics or otherwise won't give 1/10th of a shit about public perception of whatever they enjoy. If you lash out because of what the sheep think, then you're bonafied tool. I like what I like but love rubbing it in that marvel is number one.

smile

Khazra Reborn
I like what I like but love rubbing it in that marvel is number one.

smile

Says who? I don't think Marvel is number one. In some regards they're better than DC, in others they aren't.

quanchi112
Says who? I don't think Marvel is number one. In some regards they're better than DC, in others they aren't. In terms of this thread marvel is definitely crushing them. It isn't close.

Khazra Reborn
What do you mean, in the terms of this thread? There's no specific metrics listed in the OP. Most of Marvel's movies are dog shit, and DC has one so far. Animation is DC's, and there's not really an objective argument to be made to the contrary for that. And comics are a wash.

quanchi112
What do you mean, in the terms of this thread? There's no specific metrics listed in the OP. Most of Marvel's movies are dog shit, and DC has one so far. Animation is DC's, and there's not really an objective argument to be made to the contrary for that. And comics are a wash. Saying their movies are dogshit is subjective. They are huge successes and improvements. Hell, ironman 3 beat man of steel. Objectively, marvel is far and away more successful in terms of dollars than dc is. Look at the box office. Dc is also copying the shared universe due to marvels success.

smile

juggernaut74
DC's tv shows blow Marvels away. Gotham, Flash, and Arrow sh!t all over Carter and Agents.

quanchi112
Originally posted by juggernaut74
DC's tv shows blow Marvels away. Gotham, Flash, and Arrow sh!t all over Carter and Agents. Nah.

Mindset
DC's tv shows blow Marvels away. Gotham, Flash, and Arrow sh!t all over Carter and Agents. Marvel has 1 tv show, they're just starting out.

DD on Netflix looks like it'll be great though.

juggernaut74
Marvel has 1 tv show, they're just starting out.

DD on Netflix looks like it'll be great though. Whatever you classify Carter as it still gets sh!t on. DD we'll have to see though.

Mindset
Whatever you classify Carter as it still gets sh!t on. DD we'll have to see though. Oh yea, I forgot that even existed.

juggernaut74
Oh yea, I forgot that even existed. Most people have.

Khazra Reborn
Saying their movies are dogshit is subjective. They are huge successes and improvements. Hell, ironman 3 beat man of steel. Objectively, marvel is far and away more successful in terms of dollars than dc is. Look at the box office. Dc is also copying the shared universe due to marvels success.

smile

Saying they're good is just as subjective as saying they're bad. I think they're bad because most of them don't even honor the spirit of the characters they're adapting, they're just mass marketed cash grabs. Don't get me wrong, Cap 2 and Avengers were great, but over all I think the MCU sucks. And box office doesn't equal quality either, it seems like every horrible teeny bopper YA movie these days makes hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office.

juggernaut74
Sh!t Constantine was arguably better than SHIELD, definitely better than Carter though.

Golgo13
DC's tv shows blow Marvels away. Gotham, Flash, and Arrow sh!t all over Carter and Agents.

Definitely. That's why I said Marvel has a ways to go before they catch up to DC. Hell, Flash won best new TV show on the People's Choice awards. The people have spoken. wink

Golgo13
Saying they're good is just as subjective as saying they're bad. I think they're bad because most of them don't even honor the spirit of the characters they're adapting, they're just mass marketed cash grabs. Don't get me wrong, Cap 2 and Avengers were great, but over all I think the MCU sucks. And box office doesn't equal quality either, it seems like every horrible teeny bopper YA movie these days makes hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office.

Don't forget GOTG and Hulk. Both of those were very good.

zom1967
actually I don`t know who owns the rights to Walking Dead,but it has the highest ratings in the history of basic cable tv.17.3 million viewers opening of season 5!

krisblaze
Don't forget GOTG and Hulk. Both of those were very good.
I thought those were pretty good.

GOTG is my favourite by Marvel studios, and the Hulk did a lot of things right.

I really liked that they didn't try to do yet another origin story.

quanchi112
Saying they're good is just as subjective as saying they're bad. I think they're bad because most of them don't even honor the spirit of the characters they're adapting, they're just mass marketed cash grabs. Don't get me wrong, Cap 2 and Avengers were great, but over all I think the MCU sucks. And box office doesn't equal quality either, it seems like every horrible teeny bopper YA movie these days makes hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office. Again that is your opinion. Objectively they are huge successes and the majority clearly liked the Avengers. Dc currently isn't honoring the spirit of their characters least of all with Superman on the big screen. This makes me giggle as you cry about marvels success.

playa1258
Marvel has the edge in movies for now.

Golgo13
I thought those were pretty good.

GOTG is my favourite by Marvel studios, and the Hulk did a lot of things right.

I really liked that they didn't try to do yet another origin story.

Agreed. Too bad Hulk bombed at the box office. I feel Hulk would do a lot better now at the BO, since Avengers came out. I'd love another Hulk movie.

Wei Phoenix
What was Agent Carter even about? Did it flop or something?

Khazra Reborn
Again that is your opinion. Objectively they are huge successes and the majority clearly liked the Avengers. Dc currently isn't honoring the spirit of their characters least of all with Superman on the big screen. This makes me giggle as you cry about marvels success.

I'm not crying about Marvel's success, I don't care if they're successful. I enjoy Marvel comics a great deal, and I wish they'd make more awesome movies. But as of now, I don't care for most of them, and don't think they're doing any better than DC.

Star428
I agree that although Marvel has a ton of more cinematic movies that a higher perecentage of DC's are higher quality overall. I think that's why DC takes longer to make a movie. They want to make sure they get it right.Marvel has quantity but DC has better quality, imo.

Oh, and LOL@ quan for thinking that any Iron Man movie was better than MOS.

carver9
no expression

Sin I AM
I agree that although Marvel has a ton of more cinematic movies that a higher perecentage of DC's are higher quality overall. I think that's why DC takes longer to make a movie. They want to make sure they get it right.Marvel has quantity but DC has better quality, imo.

Oh, and LOL@ quan for thinking that any Iron Man movie was better than MOS.

Mos borrowed a little to heavily from other movies and it really didn't represent clark the right way.

Blair Wind
Take longer to get it right? They have 3 batman movies, 1 Green Lantern movie, and 1 Superman movie vs 10 Marvel Studio movies, 5 Spiderman Movies, 7 X-men movies, 2 Kick Ass movies, 2 Fantastic Four movies, 1 Daredevil, 1 Electra, and 2 Ghost Rider movies.

Even taking into account the last few movies I mentioned, MCU is still batting 1000 with their core 10 series. They are the ultimate popcorn flicks - and that's what they were made to be. They are 10/10 exactly what Marvel wanted them to be. The Studio movies were not made for the same audience as the Batman films (Nolan's style vs action/comedy), the Spiderman movies gave us the genre, the X-men movies only have one actual bomb, the FF/DD were middling affairs, Kick Ass was great, while we won't talk about Electra or Ghost Rider.

Meanwhile, GL was a massive, massive, MASSIVE bomb that delayed them from making more films because he was going to be their Iron Man, the one to start the universe. It didn't need to have happened, and I put the blame exclusively on meddling executives and the director/editor. Should have followed the actual script, it was actually really good. MOS wasn't bad (like some here on KMC like to say), but it was not better than Iron Man (the first movie.)

You could say they have a higher percentage of higher quality but that's because their pool is tiny in comparison and they had Nolan helming Batman for three films. That's the one and only reason that they are a factor - and the Batman movies don't tie into the current idea of a shared universe. No, the reason they are taking so long is due to fear. Fear after what happened to GL.

Somewhere out there, I live in a parallel universe where GL was amazing and he was going to get the attention he deserved. Stupid meddlers.

Mindset
I think that's why DC takes longer to make a movie. They want to make sure they get it right. lol

iceman24567
The first Ironman film was better than MOS.

Golgo13
Take longer to get it right? They have 3 batman movies, 1 Green Lantern movie, and 1 Superman movie vs 10 Marvel Studio movies, 5 Spiderman Movies, 7 X-men movies, 2 Kick Ass movies, 2 Fantastic Four movies, 1 Daredevil, 1 Electra, and 2 Ghost Rider movies.

Even taking into account the last few movies I mentioned, MCU is still batting 1000 with their core 10 series. They are the ultimate popcorn flicks - and that's what they were made to be. They are 10/10 exactly what Marvel wanted them to be. The Studio movies were not made for the same audience as the Batman films (Nolan's style vs action/comedy), the Spiderman movies gave us the genre, the X-men movies only have one actual bomb, the FF/DD were middling affairs, Kick Ass was great, while we won't talk about Electra or Ghost Rider.

Meanwhile, GL was a massive, massive, MASSIVE bomb that delayed them from making more films because he was going to be their Iron Man, the one to start the universe. It didn't need to have happened, and I put the blame exclusively on meddling executives and the director/editor. Should have followed the actual script, it was actually really good. MOS wasn't bad (like some here on KMC like to say), but it was not better than Iron Man (the first movie.)

You could say they have a higher percentage of higher quality but that's because their pool is tiny in comparison and they had Nolan helming Batman for three films. That's the one and only reason that they are a factor - and the Batman movies don't tie into the current idea of a shared universe. No, the reason they are taking so long is due to fear. Fear after what happened to GL.

Somewhere out there, I live in a parallel universe where GL was amazing and he was going to get the attention he deserved. Stupid meddlers.

That's all subjective, though. I'd rank MOS right around IM 1, but definitely better than Thor, IM 2 and 3, Hulk, and the first Cap. It also made more money than most MCCU movies and if WB plays their cards right, the DCCU can make more money than the first 10 MCCU at the box office. We already know Batman V Superman is going to be huge and the same can be said with Suicide Squad. They just keep releasing awesome news after awesome news with Squad. I'm actually anticipating that movie more than Batman V Superman, personally.

Star428
I'm going to be perfectly honest. I've enjoyed all the Superman and Batman recent movies more than almost all of the Marvel films. The only exception I think would be Avengers. It was really good but I still liked Superman Returns (yes, I liked this) , MOS, Batman Begins and Dark Knight Rises even better. As I've said before, none of the Iron Man movies were anything special (not to me, anyway) although they were pretty decent.

Star428
Originally posted by iceman24567
The first Ironman film was better than MOS.

laughing

Star428
no expression

confused

iceman24567
laughing Yup true shit

Reflassshh
Can't wait to see Suicide Squad and Avengers: AOE.

Golgo13
Originally posted by Reflassshh
Can't wait to see Suicide Squad and Avengers: AOE.

Are you looking forward to BVS?

Rezactic
The reason why DC is doing so much better in games is because Warner Bros own their own studios. They own Rocksteady, Neatherrealm and Traveler Tales, meanwhile Disney whores out their license to anyone for a cheap cash in including Activision, although they did give the license to Warner Bros to make Lego Marvel/.

Sin I AM
The reason iron man is better (subjectively speaking) than mos is originality. Mos lacked heart

Golgo13
Originally posted by Rezactic
The reason why DC is doing so much better in games is because Warner Bros own their own studios. They own Rocksteady, Neatherrealm and Traveler Tales, meanwhile Disney whores out their license to anyone for a cheap cash in including Activision, although they did give the license to Warner Bros to make Lego Marvel/.

The latest Lego Batman easily outsold the last Amazing Spider-Man game. The Lego universe is on a role.

Reflassshh
Are you looking forward to BVS? Of course, but not quite as much. Perhaps it's for the best.

Juntai
The latest Lego Batman easily outsold the last Amazing Spider-Man game. The Lego universe is on a role. Agreed, pretty much anything Lego is fire.

leonidas
I'd rank MOS right around IM 1, but definitely better than Thor, IM 2 and 3, Hulk, and the first Cap....I'm actually anticipating that movie more than Batman V Superman, personally.

i....actually agree with you on all the above points. no expression i really enjoyed thor, but IM 2 and 3 not so much, and the first cap was a chore to get through for me.

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by Juntai
Agreed, pretty much anything Lego is fire. It's a shame I have a hard time bringing myself to play the games since they seem to have a crazy amount of story content. ****ing Lego title and holding me back

Though the Arkham games are just the tops. Marvel hasn't had a good game in a long time.

leonidas
i absolutely loved the injustice game... the marvel lego game was...ok. i agree there is a lot of story content though. i just liked the injustice story i guess. i would love it if they brought out a second one with some new characters. can't believe they haven't given how popular it was. /shrug

Branlor Swift
i absolutely loved the injustice game... the marvel lego game was...ok. i agree there is a lot of story content though. i just liked the injustice story i guess. i would love it if they brought out a second one with some new characters. can't believe they haven't given how popular it was. /shrug They're working on Mortal Kombat X. Then they'll probably go back to Injustice, then probably go back to MK. That seems to be the pattern that's going to happen.

Also I bought the Lego Star Wars game covering all the movies. I haven't opened it yet but I'm scared to play it primarily due to it being Lego. But sweet Jesus all the movies! One day I'll check it out
I know Pr raves about the Batman ones though.

leonidas
i thought i'd hate the lego games but they aren't too bad. i thought the lego movie was surprisingly good too... of course, i was expecting it to be turrible....

AlmightyKfish
It's basically been said already but yeah, Marvel's unified approach in regards to tv/movies etc is a huge boon for them.

While it's not an issue now, when DC's cinematic universe comes out I'm almost certain there will be people confused by the multiple versions of things between that and their Arrow/Flash shows. Not places like here where people follow this stuff in far more detail, but in general.

In regards to the actual quality of the shows, I can't speak for Agent Carter but Agents of Shield has massively improved from where it started. Plus Daredevil looks like it's going to be awesome. Flash is really, really good but Arrow makes my teeth hurt at times as it tries to be Batman. I still haven't finished Constantine but was enjoying it to some extent, but as a huge Hellblazer fan there were bits of it that annoyed me, but I think when assessing these shows and movies and stuff we as comic fans need to step back a bit and be a bit less critical about specifics. I mean lets be honest, Marvel/DC now have a much bigger audience to appeal to than just comic readers. Whether it's a good or bad thing that they're doing that is personal opinion.

But yeah in movies I think it's almost impossible to say DC are ahead, at least in terms of public appeal and success. I mean they're slowly building their universe but honestly I think it has issues. Personally for me Superman and the JLA don't need to be darker and grittier, I mean it's Superman ffs. Sure Batman can work that way, and you look at his best stories and they are darker affairs. But look at the best Superman stories and you get things like All-Star, Birthright etc which are pretty bright affairs. Sure they can be serious at times, but I think people have a tendency to confuse that with 'dark and edgy'.

Just my two cents.

Golgo13
Originally posted by AlmightyKfish
It's basically been said already but yeah, Marvel's unified approach in regards to tv/movies etc is a huge boon for them.

While it's not an issue now, when DC's cinematic universe comes out I'm almost certain there will be people confused by the multiple versions of things between that and their Arrow/Flash shows. Not places like here where people follow this stuff in far more detail, but in general.

In regards to the actual quality of the shows, I can't speak for Agent Carter but Agents of Shield has massively improved from where it started. Plus Daredevil looks like it's going to be awesome. Flash is really, really good but Arrow makes my teeth hurt at times as it tries to be Batman. I still haven't finished Constantine but was enjoying it to some extent, but as a huge Hellblazer fan there were bits of it that annoyed me, but I think when assessing these shows and movies and stuff we as comic fans need to step back a bit and be a bit less critical about specifics. I mean lets be honest, Marvel/DC now have a much bigger audience to appeal to than just comic readers. Whether it's a good or bad thing that they're doing that is personal opinion.

But yeah in movies I think it's almost impossible to say DC are ahead, at least in terms of public appeal and success. I mean they're slowly building their universe but honestly I think it has issues. Personally for me Superman and the JLA don't need to be darker and grittier, I mean it's Superman ffs. Sure Batman can work that way, and you look at his best stories and they are darker affairs. But look at the best Superman stories and you get things like All-Star, Birthright etc which are pretty bright affairs. Sure they can be serious at times, but I think people have a tendency to confuse that with 'dark and edgy'.

Just my two cents.

It's really not that big of a deal. Most of the movie goers that will watch the DC cinematic movies don't even watch the shows. A small fraction do and some might be confused and some will.

Just like most of the people who watched Avengers don't watch Agents of SHIELD.

leonidas
i thought constantine was GETTING there...it had some promise so we'll see how it pans out. i agree that shield got better as well--a little edgier maybe. i still like arrow and flash better than shield, and maybe constantine too. couldn't bring myself to watch carter for some reason. maybe blame our own carver....? heh

Tony Stark
Originally posted by riv6672
No.

YES, and in EVERY manner possible.

Golgo13
i thought constantine was GETTING there...it had some promise so we'll see how it pans out. i agree that shield got better as well--a little edgier maybe. i still like arrow and flash better than shield, and maybe constantine too. couldn't bring myself to watch carter for some reason. maybe blame our own carver....? heh

Sometimes SHIELD can feel like a chore to get through. Can't wait to see Titans, TBH.

Juntai
i thought constantine was GETTING there...it had some promise so we'll see how it pans out. i agree that shield got better as well--a little edgier maybe. i still like arrow and flash better than shield, and maybe constantine too. couldn't bring myself to watch carter for some reason. maybe blame our own carver....? heh Took Constantine about 5 episodes to hit its stride because of the girl changing after the first episode. I think she got another job or was cut and they had to shoe in the new girl?
Once it got rolling it was excellent though.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>