Heart transplant recipient used up his second chance.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

vansonbee
zW9TC-O-QEc

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/01/us/anthony-stokes-heart-transplant-death/

The ending of the video just hits a sore spot, the dude was given a second chance...

What do you guys think about individuals with criminal background, should we deny them? Freeing up a heart for another person?

Robtard
"The doctor made the decision that he wasn't a good candidate because of that," Bell said then. "I guess he didn't think Anthony was going to be a productive citizen."

Seems the doctor was right on the money. A shame they couldn't have forcibly taken his donated heart right after his death and given it to someone else.

Mindset
There is a committee that determines if you get an organ transplant (iirc), so popular opinion is pretty irrelevant.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mindset
There is a committee that determines if you get an organ transplant (iirc), so popular opinion is pretty irrelevant.

If the story is correct, the hospital initially denied him for being both a dunce and juvenile delinquent. But after the story hit the news, the hospital did a 180.

SayWhat
In addition to giving him a transplant, they might have slapped some conditions. Like paying for driving lessons and an some sort of ankle bracelet monitoring. Not!!
Or lets blame society, seems we have the technology of OnStar, maybe it needs to be mandatory in every car, with the police having the cut off the engine code for every auto. Thus, when a high speed chase starts, the cops can read the plates, enter the code and the engine is killed and at the same time the brakes are auto slammed. Then again, he may have not been smart enough to put on a seat belt and the wheel and windshield would have given him a good injury anyway.

SayWhat
Anyway, seeing he died at a young age, most likely 100 other crimes will not be committed and the taxpayer is spared about $20,000 a year for annual prison expenses for this dumb butt dude.

KingD19
Originally posted by SayWhat
In addition to giving him a transplant, they might have slapped some conditions. Like paying for driving lessons and an some sort of ankle bracelet monitoring. Not!!
Or lets blame society, seems we have the technology of OnStar, maybe it needs to be mandatory in every car, with the police having the cut off the engine code for every auto. Thus, when a high speed chase starts, the cops can read the plates, enter the code and the engine is killed and at the same time the brakes are auto slammed. Then again, he may have not been smart enough to put on a seat belt and the wheel and windshield would have given him a good injury anyway.

You want to give the police the ability to stop any car, whenever they want? That won't end badly for hundreds if not thousands of people per year who will fall victim to further police abuse.

SayWhat
Mandatory body cams and dashboard cameras are going to cut down a lot on police abuse. And citizens can do the same, wear a body cam and put a dashboard cam in their own car, to prove some cops are being abusive. It's the only way to document in court, otherwise it becomes a swearing contest and who can emotionally appeal to the judge and or jury.

Most new cars now have EDR, event data recorder. I would like to see a law that not only do you have to have mandatory insurance, but also that EDR links directly to your insurance company. Speeding all the time, your rate automatically go up right away and pay the fine to the insurance company. If it continues, your license is revoked/suspended. Only in cases like these, of auto theft should the police have the right to shut down a car.

krisblaze
Originally posted by SayWhat
Mandatory body cams and dashboard cameras are going to cut down a lot on police abuse. And citizens can do the same, wear a body cam and put a dashboard cam in their own car, to prove some cops are being abusive. It's the only way to document in court, otherwise it becomes a swearing contest and who can emotionally appeal to the judge and or jury.

Most new cars now have EDR, event data recorder. I would like to see a law that not only do you have to have mandatory insurance, but also that EDR links directly to your insurance company. Speeding all the time, your rate automatically go up right away and pay the fine to the insurance company. If it continues, your license is revoked/suspended. Only in cases like these, of auto theft should the police have the right to shut down a car.

That's a lot of phucking money on something that could be reduced by improving the lives of people who eventually become criminals...

SayWhat
Would not be surprised if the family of this punk idiot suits the owner of the car for not having OnStar and having an app on their smartphone stating your car is stolen, go ahead and shut off the engine. Because if they had that device our sweet little innocent child would not have been able to speed in that car and crash into a pole. I should be a lawyer!! Note to self: no coffee between my legs while driving. Dur!

Surtur
The sad thing is this only was allowed to happen because of racism. This wasn't the kids first transplant, he had another transplant that he botched because you have to take medications to make sure your body does not reject the organ, etc. and he failed to take the medicines he was supposed to. So that heart went to waste and they rightfully didn't want to give the little punk another one.

But then his mother whined and whined and said it was racist and all that, so the hospital caved and now look where we are.

So guys, this wasn't his 2nd chance, but his THIRD. His mother needs to be punched in the damn mouth and sterilized to prevent her from further procreation. Also whoever was passed up for a heart so this little thug could get one, the mother needs to write a long letter apology to that persons family.

Robtard
Originally posted by Surtur
The sad thing is this only was allowed to happen because of racism. This wasn't the kids first transplant, he had another transplant that he botched because you have to take medications to make sure your body does not reject the organ, etc. and he failed to take the medicines he was supposed to. So that heart went to waste and they rightfully didn't want to give the little punk another one.

But then his mother whined and whined and said it was racist and all that, so the hospital caved and now look where we are.

So guys, this wasn't his 2nd chance, but his THIRD. His mother needs to be punched in the damn mouth and sterilized to prevent her from further procreation. Also whoever was passed up for a heart so this little thug could get one, the mother needs to write a long letter apology to that persons family.

Where did you find this info? From what I read, it was his first after initially being denied due to being a dunce and delinquent.

Not doubting you, just curious and it just adds further salt to the wound. What a scumbag.

Mindset
Originally posted by Robtard
Where did you find this info? From what I read, it was his first after initially being denied due to being a dunce and delinquent.

Not doubting you, just curious and it just adds further salt to the wound. What a scumbag. I'm doubting him.

Surtur
Okay, so I guess I read somewhat wrong. It's hard to find info on the first story from years ago as to the reasons why they didn't want to give him the heart. He was not given a heart and then failed to take his meds and lost it. Rather, he apparently was supposed to take medications and follow other rules PRIOR to the transplant and he failed to do that, which made the doctors not want to give him the transplant. Then his mommy cried racism and we know what happened.

So apologies, some of those details were wrong. There was only one transplant. However, it needs to be said that at the time the story came out the kids family tried to act like the reason he was being denied was because he had a criminal past, but the fact is it was that COMBINED with not following what he was supposed to do prior to the surgery.

So the good news is thankfully 2 hearts were not wasted. Bad news is, the kids behavior still should of earned him a spot on the "no transplant" list. They looked at his criminal history combined with his failure to comply with the directions given and made a choice, then the media bullied them into changing their minds. So everyone still dropped the ball here, the hospital that caved, the kids parents, the media that tried to pressure a reversal of the decision. All because people didn't want to face an uncomfortable truth: this kid flat out didn't deserve a second chance.

Rest In Peace to anyone who might of died due to getting this heart because it went to trash instead. I just feel so bad for the family of the person whose heart ended up going to this kid. I'm sure they would of wished it had gone to someone more deserving.

Mindset
Uh...his parents did their job, the hospital didn't do theirs.

Tzeentch
Err... I think the idea of denying someone necessary health care of any kind due to a criminal background is completely ****ing insane.

Robtard
Originally posted by Surtur
Okay, so I guess I read somewhat wrong. It's hard to find info on the first story from years ago as to the reasons why they didn't want to give him the heart. He was not given a heart and then failed to take his meds and lost it. Rather, he apparently was supposed to take medications and follow other rules PRIOR to the transplant and he failed to do that, which made the doctors not want to give him the transplant. Then his mommy cried racism and we know what happened.

So apologies, some of those details were wrong. There was only one transplant. However, it needs to be said that at the time the story came out the kids family tried to act like the reason he was being denied was because he had a criminal past, but the fact is it was that COMBINED with not following what he was supposed to do prior to the surgery.

So the good news is thankfully 2 hearts were not wasted. Bad news is, the kids behavior still should of earned him a spot on the "no transplant" list. They looked at his criminal history combined with his failure to comply with the directions given and made a choice, then the media bullied them into changing their minds. So everyone still dropped the ball here, the hospital that caved, the kids parents, the media that tried to pressure a reversal of the decision. All because people didn't want to face an uncomfortable truth: this kid flat out didn't deserve a second chance.

Rest In Peace to anyone who might of died due to getting this heart because it went to trash instead. I just feel so bad for the family of the person whose heart ended up going to this kid. I'm sure they would of wished it had gone to someone more deserving.

So you lied! Mindset was correct in doubting you.

Mindset
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Err... I think the idea of denying someone necessary health care of any kind due to a criminal background is completely ****ing insane. I don't, not if it was fairly recent. Just like someone who doesn't smoke, drink excessively, etc. would get preference over someone that does. I imagine they run some kind of risk assessment calculation on potential transplant recipients.

Robtard
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Err... I think the idea of denying someone necessary health care of any kind due to a criminal background is completely ****ing insane.

That's not entirely it. It wasn't outright denying him, it was weighing if he is the best candidate for a very limited supply of hearts.

Seems he wasn't.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.