South Carolina police officer charged with murder

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bashar Teg
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/07/us/south-carolina-officer-charged-murder/index.html
(CNN)A South Carolina officer has been charged with murder after a video surfaced that appears to show him shooting an unarmed man who was running away.

Michael Slager, an officer with the North Charleston Police Department, was arrested Tuesday, according to a statement from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, or SLED. If found guilty of murder, he could face up to life in prison or death.

The shooting took place Saturday after a traffic stop, SLED said. Video obtained by The New York Times shows what happened.

A black man breaks away from the white officer. Something falls, and the officer fires eight shots at the man as he runs away. The man, who appears to be unarmed, drops to the ground.

"I can tell you that as the result of that video and the bad decision made by our officer, he will be charged with murder," North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey told reporters Tuesday. "When you're wrong, you're wrong. And if you make a bad decision -- don't care if you're behind the shield or just a citizen on the street -- you have to live by that decision."

...imo mandatory body cameras on all police would bring these surprise-executions to a screeching halt. no race war required. i know i know 'boring'. just to be more lame im not hotlinking the video.

Tzeentch
We probably should just have a "Police being douchebags" general thread dedicated to cops doing silly things.

Mindset
Phuck em.

Time Immemorial
Cop had some shit aim and judgement.

Pathetic

Take their guns, obviously they can't use them right.

Sacred 117
Or give them rubber bullets?

Edit: Nevermind. I immediately remembered those can kill to if used irresponsibly. Carry on, then!

Mindset
Give them super soakers.

Stringer
He should of aimed for the one in the middle. With a taser

Time Immemorial
He must have been too drunk and there was two in the middle.

Robtard
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Cop had some shit aim and judgement.

Pathetic

Take their guns, obviously they can't use them right.

Do you think he fired eight shots with the intention of just wounding the man?

Stringer
Very expensive to put cams on every state trooper much less all police

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Robtard
Do you think he fired eight shots with the intention of just wounding the man?

Oh no he wanted to kill him but he wasted two much ammo.

Newb cop

Mindset

Newb cop Probably would have been better off just throwing the gun at him.

Time Immemorial
What he could have done was tazed him, then beat him with the gun. Free kill. Appears the police academy training is not up to standards.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by Mindset
Give them super soakers.

...Full of sulfuric acid.

Omega Vision
Horrible. The fact that the victim's name was Walter Scott made me imagine a whole story behind his parents naming him that, after the Scottish writer, and that made me incredibly sad.

Hope the sick, self-entitled piece of shit who calls himself a cop never sees the light of day.

Stringer
What he could have done was tazed him, then beat him with the gun. Free kill. Appears the police academy training is not up to standards.

That's mighty white of ya.

Stoic

Newb cop

You realize that that was a person that was gunned down in cold blood? Maybe something similar should happen to one of your family members, or to someone that you care about, Then you may find that what happened was horrific. If you're joking, this isn't the subject to joke about because it's not funny.

Time Immemorial
You caught me joking on the Internet, call Obama and cry about it.

How about standing up for gun rights and taking the guns from the cops?

Mindset

How about standing up for gun rights and taking the guns from the cops? I just called Obama and he is PISSED!

Stringer

What a joke. Nice edit to include the gun rights for the police. Pathetic.

Stoic

How about you come to terms with an innocent life being taken for no reason? It seems that you may only realize the travesty of what happened to that man when something similar happens to you. Someone cared about that person that was brutally slaughtered like a dog that mauled a child to death. You need to look inside of yourself. What you have in your heart is bad stuff if you can look at what happened and still joke about it. Imagine if that was your best friend or brother that was gunned down for a moving violation? Imagine. This isn't a phucking video game dude. wake the phuck up.

Time Immemorial
Have you come to terms with this whole thing is bullshit? The video looks fake, all this police killing and crap is staged. Some guy just walks up on a cop shooting a guy in the back for no reason? Gimmie a break! And this after all the stuff that has been going on, it's bullshit.

Stringer
I guess if it's not right in front of you it means nothing. Just keep on keepin I guess

Time Immemorial
Yea and when you learn not to believe everything the media tells you, you might learn about life.

Stoic
Have you come to terms with this whole thing is bullshit? The video looks fake, all this police killing and crap is staged. Some guy just walks up on a cop shooting a guy in the back for no reason? Gimmie a break! And this after all the stuff that has been going on, it's bullshit.

It was real. It isn't a debate on whether or not it was Lucas films that staged it as some April Fools stunt, it happened. I can't fault you, because many people aren't born humble, they have to be humbled. Like I said, Imagine if it happened to one of yours?

Time Immemorial
Yes everything the media tells you is realsmile

Stringer
Says the Fox News poster boy

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Stringer
Says the Fox News poster boy

What did I post from Fox News? And who the fck are you btw?

Stringer
Didn't say you posted anything from the white power republican news but you seem to have similar views.

I'm Stringer

Time Immemorial
Didn't say you posted anything from the white power republican news but you seem to have views. I'm Stringer

Ah you sound like a angry black man on the Internet, I should introduce you to some people. Anyways I don't really feel like getting to know you or spending the time.

A poster boy would post stuff from Fox, if you knew your way around you could find a thread I started called "Fox News" and see what I had to say about them.

Consider this the last time we speak.

Stringer
Ah you sound like a angry black man on the Internet, I should introduce you to some people. Anyways I don't really feel like getting to know you or spending the time.

A poster boy would post stuff from Fox, if you knew your way around you could find a thread I started called "Fox News" and see what I had to say about them.

Ah you sound like a angry black man on the Internet,

No sorry, I'm white but thanks for judging.

I should introduce you to some people

Bat hitting, supremacists? No I'm ok.

Doubtful, but I really hope thats true.

Lestov16

Wow. Just...wow. A man dies for no reason and just to justify your obvious near-sociopathic callousness towards the situation, you try to justify it with flimsy 9/11-truther-level conspiracy theories about this being some kind of government staging.

Please post ANYTHING credible suggesting this was a staging. And if it is of your own opinion, please state how and why your opinion somehow supercedes the overwhelming majority of people who know for a fact that this was a real incident.

And please answer my questions and do not respond with ad hominem attacks. I truly must know the reasoning behind your thinking here.

Lestov16
http://www.thereaganvision.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Gorbachev_and_Reagan_630px_465px.jpg

^Above photo, like this incident, is also a fake, just to establish the level of logic TI's working on

To comment on the topic itself, it is good to see actual legal ramification for needless excessive police force, especially that which is possibly racially motivated (the Eric Garner case especially comes into question).

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Lestov16
Wow. Just...wow. A man dies for no reason and just to justify your obvious near-sociopathic callousness towards the situation, you try to justify it with flimsy 9/11-truther-level conspiracy theories about this being some kind of government staging.

Please post ANYTHING credible suggesting this was a staging. And if it is of your own opinion, please state how and why your opinion somehow supercedes the overwhelming majority of people who know for a fact that this was a real incident.

And please answer my questions and do not respond with ad hominem attacks. I truly must know the reasoning behind your thinking here.

I don't believe it. First of all the recoil on the gun was not what it should be, also I didn't see brass leaving the chamber. When the video is taken, it's by someone just walking up and happens to witness the whole thing? Surprising funny that no one had video of Michael Brown shooting and now we get a supposed video of this out of no where? Also no cop is that bad of a aim, and to add when he gets shot it doesn't even look really got hit. Whole thing looks staged.

Where was the car that he got pulled over and why were they in the middle of what looks like a park?

Lestov16
I don't believe it. First of all the recoil on the gun was not what it should be, also I didn't see brass leaving the chamber. When the video is taken, it's by someone just walking up and happens to witness the whole thing? Surprising funny that no one had video of Michael Brown shooting and now we get a supposed video of this out of no where? Also no cop is that bad of a aim, and to add when he gets shot it doesn't even look really got hit. Whole thing looks staged.

Where was the car that he got pulled over and why were they in the middle of what looks like a park?

So besides your subjective interpretation of what a cop's aim is supposed to be, the supposed implausibility of a video camera recording in an age where smartphones are common accessories (and random video tapings have caught police brutality before: Rodney King), and inability to have a full 4D reconstruction of the scene, what credible proof do you have this was faked?

And again, why does your opinion trump everybody else's? Or are you the only one who knows because The Conspiracy killed everyone else who did?

dadudemon

Interesting. See, I don't buy into conspiracy theories like these. Almost no conspiracy theory is actually true.

But this theory of yours seems interesting.

I don't have all the evidence but if he was supposedly pulled over, why the hell did this shooting occur in a park?

Edit - Has the former-officer been indicted yet?

Edit 2 - Also, I really really really love the fact that this was caught on video. Contrast this with the Michael Brown situation. My gosh, this case is so much more refreshing. I love it that lies were caught regarding the police: no CPR was administered but they claimed they had done CPR in their reports. Scumbag liars.

Time Immemorial
What's funny is the exact story that supposedly happened to Michael Brown.

The story was: Brown was pulled over by a cop, there was a struggle for a weapon and he was shot in the back.

Now we know that's not what happened after all, but then look at this video? It's the exact same thing that Wilson supposidly did. Officer engaged him, struggle for a weapon, he was shot in the back? I don't beleive it

Also were the hell is the car and why are they in the middle of a park, there does not even appear to be a struggle by any means. It looks like a half ass attempt. Then he runs away and gets shot? I mean cmon lest open your fcking eyes. Where is the car? Why are they in a park? What was the purpose of shooting? It's all bullshit.

dadudemon
What's funny is the exact story that supposedly happened to Michael Brown.

The story was: Brown was pulled over by a cop, there was a struggle for a weapon and he was shot in the back.

Now we know that's not what happened after all, but then look at this video? It's the exact same thing that Wilson supposidly did. Officer engaged him, struggle for a weapon, he was shot in the back? I don't beleive it

Also were the hell is the car and why are they in the middle of a park, there does not even appear to be a struggle by any means. It looks like a half ass attempt. Then he runs away and gets shot? I mean cmon lest open your fcking eyes. Where is the car? Why are they in a park? What was the purpose of shooting? It's all bullshit.

I would like someone else to argue against you before I start taking your Conspiracy seriously. I don't know enough to disagree with you.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by dadudemon
I would like someone else to argue against you before I start taking your Conspiracy seriously. I don't know enough to disagree with you.

Do you agree it's basically the false Michael Brown story but caught on tape?

Officer engages suspect, struggle for a weapon, shoots him in the back?

How did this officer feel endangered, what was the reason to shoot him.

No motive here.

The officers name is conviently Michael Thomas, similar to Michael Brown?

Too much coencedients.

Ushgarak
Actually let;s just shortcut that discussion entirely- keep conspiracy talk to the conspiracy forum. There's no evidence that this is a fake and plenty to the contrary; an absurd claim like that needs considerable backing before it could be part of a mainstream thread. Please just discuss the subject as reported.

Bashar Teg
the stupidity on display in this thread has become more shocking than the topic.

in actual news: the city's mayor has just pledged to equip their officers with body cameras. another baby step in the right direction imho.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/north-charleston-mayor-promises-body-cameras-amidst-outrage-over-police-shooting-1.2317416

Mindset
Why would the mayor do that, has he not heard that this video is fake?

Time Immemorial
Why would the mayor do that, has he not heard that this video is fake?

laughing laughing laughing

Omega Vision
So I guess now even video evidence isn't proof enough for some people that police are out of control.

Omega Vision
Apparently there's been a year long study that's shown a dramatic reduction in both use of force by police while wearing body cameras and also complaints against police:

http://www.policefoundation.org/content/body-worn-cameras-police-use-force

Not exactly surprising, but good to see that the theory holds.

Surtur
Very expensive to put cams on every state trooper much less all police

This works out though because all that money the cops get from red light camera's and speeding tickets and all that? It can totally now go to paying for their body cams.

In fact all the money from stop light cams should go to stuff like this. I think that is a great idea, we take money away from those who don't deserve it and spend it on things to help protect people. Since cops should be ALL about protecting and serving I expect each and every one of them to fall in love with my idea.

Stringer
Cops wont like that idea at all. In a beautiful world this would work. Depends on where you live at the moment

Mindset
Cops wont like that idea at all. In a beautiful world this would work. Depends on where you live at the moment Who cares what cops like.

If a cop told me he didn't like the idea of body cams, I'd say, "Look here, you piece of phucking shit...please don't kill me, I'm sorry".

Stringer
Who cares what cops like.

If a cop told me he didn't like the idea of body cams, I'd say, "Look here, you piece of phucking shit...please don't kill me, I'm sorry".

If you're white, what would be the worry?

Mindset
If you're white, what would be the worry? I'm not.

Stringer
Theres a win too this. Stop ****ing running

Tzeentch
I'm not. Right, and I'm heterosexual.

Come on guy.

Stringer
Sounds a bit gay too me

dadudemon
http://www.walb.com/story/28761385/sled-releases-dash-cam-footage-from-michael-slagers-patrol-car-before-fatal-shooting-of-walter-scott?clienttype=generic

There is the dashcam video footage.

Walter Scott ran. Apparently he had a "bench warrant" for unpaid child support, was driving a car that was not exactly his, and lacked paperwork for the vehicle. Makes sense why he ran, now.

I feel a bit more informed on the situation than before.

When the taser failed to subdue Scott, I just don't understand the need to shoot him in the back as he left. Did Scott have a violent criminal history?

Also, looks like the taser was planted on Scott's dying body as they approached him. Here's a stabilized and slowed down gif showing that:

http://i.imgur.com/DTYSXXC.gif

Soooo, what am I missing? Seems very obvious that there was some very shitty police work and at least a murder. And the 3 officers that lied about administering CPR (which may include Michael's account, too) should be brought up on falsification of evidence charges.

Stringer
Seems a bit blurry too me. But hey, I'm white.

Henry_Pym
Honestly all I take away from this is people gotta stop picking fist fights with armed marksmen...

In all seriousness though I'm glad the SC officials have been moving very quickly and that will hopefully stop all the professional cry babies from ruining a town. I also should point out to all the leftist extremists that the victim wasn't innocent, he was driving around illegally, ran from the officer, then possibly fought for his weapon; though before I get flamed I don't think he should have been shot, but their are people that take this "innocent black man shtick" way too far.

Stringer
You're correct. But it makes a statement. " don't run from the police or your dead" .. It's like this cop took one for the team.

Mindset
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
Honestly all I take away from this is people gotta stop picking fist fights with armed marksmen...

In all seriousness though I'm glad the SC officials have been moving very quickly and that will hopefully stop all the professional cry babies from ruining a town. I also should point out to all the leftist extremists that the victim wasn't innocent, he was driving around illegally, ran from the officer, then possibly fought for his weapon; though before I get flamed I don't think he should have been shot, but their are people that take this "innocent black man shtick" way too far. Didn't read anything you wrote, but I can say with 100% certainty that it was stupid. thumb up

Mindset
I apologize, Henry, it appears that it's actually Stringer's post that is stupid. thumb up

Stringer
I apologize, Henry, it appears that it's actually Stringer's post that is stupid. thumb up

Sarcasm

Henry_Pym
I apologize, Henry, it appears that it's actually Stringer's post that is stupid. thumb up I accept your apology thumb up

Mindset
Sarcasm There is no sarcasm on kmc.

I'll let it slide this time since you're new. thumb up

Tzeentch
Unless the crimes committed were violent, how are they relevant in any way, shape or form?

Tzeentch
Where was the car that he got pulled over and why were they in the middle of what looks like a park? MYaYdaFFLoQ

Bentley
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Unless the crimes committed were violent, how are they relevant in any way, shape or form?

If he avoids taxes he deserves to die thumb up

Stringer
MYaYdaFFLoQ

I really wonder what's it like

Stringer
There is no sarcasm on kmc.

I'll let it slide this time since you're new. thumb up

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt91/crossayles/c6a45610bbb1db47858841895fd78be1.jpg.gif

Henry_Pym
Unless the crimes committed were violent, how are they relevant in any way, shape or form? was this toward me? Why wouldn't context matter? Sorry to answer your question with a question.

Tzeentch
The crimes he committed don't provide any sort of meaningful context. Yes, he was a criminal committing crimes, but if the guy had simply been tazed/tackled and arrested with minor injuries, this wouldn't be news and no one would care, because there is no stigma aboout police arresting criminals- that is there job afterall.

The outrage is from shooting a man who has his back to you and is running away... in which case it really doesn't matter what their crimes are.

To reiterate, no one is upset that a law-breaker was confronted by police for breaking the law. The law-breaker is absolutely a victim in this situation however and deserves all of the sympathy and outrage he can get as there is no justification for the police' actions, thus pointing out that the victim might have been a sleaze bag prior to his death is more or less a red herring.

Star428
Heh, so the victim deserves no blame here at all for running away from the cop? LOL. I guess this attitude shouldn't surprise me here on KMC. He knew damn well that running away could result in him being shot at. I watched the dash cam video on AOL news earlier and I could hear the officer yelling at the guy to get down on the ground. What is so damn hard about respecting the law and doing what a police officer tells you to do?

I'm not condoning the officer's actions because I think he should've at least yelled at him to stop or else he'd shoot but the victim could've used a little more common sense. He might still be alive in that case. The policeman was wrong in his actions no doubt but do I have sympathy for the criminal who was trying to run away from the cop? Nope. None whatsoever.

I won't lose a second's sleep over him being dead.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Star428
Heh, so the victim deserves no blame here at all for running away from the cop? No, he doesn't, unless you can point me to the law that says police are allowed to shoot an unarmed man running away from them.

Omega Vision
So, Star's a racist. Let's move on.

To everyone in the thread who's bringing up Walter Scott having a criminal history or running: that's irrelevant to whether or not this was a case of police murdering an unarmed man and trying to cover it up. It will NEVER be okay for police to shoot an unarmed man in the back and then try to make it look like he was dangerous by planting a weapon on him.

Bashar Teg
"innocent black man shtick"

classic strawman. the actual words were and are "unarmed" and "fleeing".

what the cop did was a straightup execution. i don't care if the perp had recently set a bag of kittens on fire and then proceeded to rape the cop's mother while writing bad checks to the irs.

|King Joker|
That cop could have easily caught him if he ran after. The guy was like 50, and from the video he was running slow as fvck.

Time Immemorial
I dont get why its not ok to run from the police though, fck em.

MF DELPH
It's not ok to run from the police.

It's also not ok to substitute continued pursuit of an unarmed suspect with lethal force.

Walter was an idiot and should be in jail (just like Mike Brown should be), but they should both be alive. The lethal force wasn't justified, moreso in this instance than in Brown's, as we can clearly see that the victim posed no threat at the point of lethal force being administered. That's the issue.

Not being able to subdue a suspect with non-lethal means does not justify lethal force when the suspect does not pose a lethal threat. Shooting someone attempting to run away on foot from a speeding ticket, for example, would not be justified. That person would be an idiot, but they shouldn't be a dead idiot, they should be an incarcerated idiot with possible minor injuries from a physical apprehending.

You can't substitute bullets for running.

Henry_Pym
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
classic strawman. the actual words were and are "unarmed" and "fleeing".

what the cop did was a straightup execution. i don't care if the perp had recently set a bag of kittens on fire and then proceeded to rape the cop's mother while writing bad checks to the irs. so I'm guessing you don't watch the news? It's also not a straw man as I'm not justifying shooting him in the back but "unarmed" and fighting over a taser are not the same thing. Originally posted by Tzeentch
No, he doesn't, unless you can point me to the law that says police are allowed to shoot an unarmed man running away from them. you don't see a difference between driving illegally, getting pulled over then possibly fighting with a cop for a weapon vs a cop just pulling a gun out and shooting a random person in the back?

Context matters.

Henry_Pym
Originally posted by MF DELPH
It's not ok to run from the police.

It's also not ok to substitute continued pursuit of an unarmed suspect with lethal force.

Walter was an idiot and should be in jail (just like Mike Brown should be), but they should both be alive. The lethal force wasn't justified, moreso in this instance than in Brown's, as we can clearly see that the victim posed no threat at the point of lethal force being administered. That's the issue.

Not being able to subdue a suspect with non-lethal means does not justify lethal force when the suspect does not pose a lethal threat. Shooting someone attempting to run away on foot from a speeding ticket, for example, would not be justified. That person would be an idiot, but they shouldn't be a dead idiot, they should be an incarcerated idiot with possible minor injuries from a physical apprehending.

You can't substitute bullets for running. Tbf in both videos it appears he are stripped of his less lethal weapon, so I can grasp the straws of the thoughts that form this line of taking a shot... He really should have aimed for a leg and definitely shouldn't have fired 8 rounds.

Bashar Teg
so I'm guessing you don't watch the news? It's also not a straw man as I'm not justifying shooting him in the back but "unarmed" and fighting over a taser are not the same thing. you don't see a difference between driving illegally, getting pulled over then possibly fighting with a cop for a weapon vs a cop just pulling a gun out and shooting a random person in the back?

Context matters.
you're not adding context. you're just being disingenuous and slimy, trying to divert focus from the core issue to justify something while claiming not to. same horseshit as when someone says "i'm not saying she deserved to be raped but look at the slutty skirt she was wearing and the seedy bar she was hanging out in, etc. context matters."

Henry_Pym
you're not adding context. you're just being disingenuous and slimy, trying to divert focus from the core issue to justify something while claiming not to. same horseshit as when someone says "i'm not saying she deserved to be raped but look at the slutty skirt she was wearing and the seedy bar she was hanging out in, etc. context matters." I'll let your flaming pass as I know a lot of people take these cases personally, but your analogy is false. It's more apt to a woman walking naked into a men's prison shower. He FOUGHT a cop, and was shot, but to pretend he was out tending to his lawn and a big old evil cop was just out shooting people at random is false.

NemeBro
Is it confirmed that he actually fought the cop?

dadudemon's image does appear to show a taser being planted.

Mindset
Originally posted by NemeBro
Is it confirmed that he actually fought the cop?

dadudemon's image does appear to show a taser being planted. The witness said there was a struggle, but that the guy was trying to just get away, not actually hurt the cop.

I don't think he said the guy was trying to take the taser either.

Bashar Teg
lets say he was. lets say he bitchslapped the cop into next tuesday and ran. he was unarmed and shot in the back while fleeing. the cop was in the wrong. end of story.

Mindset
I don't think anyone said the cop wasn't in the wrong.

Bashar Teg
it's implied when people suggest the need for more context beyond the simple fact in order to make a judgement.

Star428
I'll let your flaming pass as I know a lot of people take these cases personally, but your analogy is false. It's more apt to a woman walking naked into a men's prison shower. He FOUGHT a cop, and was shot, but to pretend he was out tending to his lawn and a big old evil cop was just out shooting people at random is false.

thumb up

Bashar Teg
how considerate of you star to quote one of the comments in question.

so as you can see, mindset, you were mistaken.

you're alright star. thanks bro. thumb up

Star428
lets say he was. lets say he bitchslapped the cop into next tuesday and ran. he was unarmed and shot in the back while fleeing. the cop was in the wrong. end of story.

Anyone who does something like that (bitchslaps) to a cop is a menace to society. People like that have no respect for rules or laws and won't hesitate to hurt someone to get what they want. If something like that happened and the officer warned the guy to stop or else he'd shoot and the guy just kept running then yeah, it was justified alright.

That's not what happened in this case though. The officer wasn't hurt as far as I know and he gave no warning to the guy to stop before shooting him. Hopefully, the officer will be spending a long time behind bars for second degree murder but to say that the victim wasn't partially to blame for what happened is ridiculous. You don't struggle with a cop. You don't badmouth him. You do what the Hell he says. You sure as Hell aren't suppose to try running from him. That's common friggin sense that parents should instill into their children as early as possible. Guess this guys parents failed to teach him to respect those in authority and now he's dead as a result.

Ms Chelle
The officer was not in danger of losing his own life when the man ran from him so it was not justified. Our officers are not judges and/or juries. They have a duty to protect all life, including the ones of know criminals/menaces of societies.

Stringer
I watched the show cops the other night. Some guy with his girl in the car ran from police. Somehow (lol drunk) ran off the road into a tree. He and the girl were thrown from the car and lived. He was barely able to walk and just crawled as the police tasered him 5-6 times and kicked and punched him in the face I don't know how many times. He was absolutely no threat. My friend was telling me that if anyone runs and doesn't surrender right away they're subjected to anything the arresting officer feels fit. Hoping that's not true

Surtur
If you're white, what would be the worry?

This is a slippery slope though. I'm not saying white people have to worry, persay. However, if these cops and their behavior is left unchecked it's really not going to be any one race that needs to worry about cops, but ALL of them. You start to think you can get away with shooting people of color, then you begin to think..hey why not anyone who pisses me off?

I just think this day and age the mindset of "this can never happen to me" in regards to anything is a dangerous one to have.

dadudemon
The outrage is from shooting a man who has his back to you and is running away... in which case it really doesn't matter what their crimes are.

It does. Pretend he is wanted for multiple violent murders and at least a few were caught on camera (meaning, there's no such thing as reasonable doubt that "this is the guy"wink.

"I'm going to go kill your family as soon as I get free. Your mother, your father, your wife, and your daughter. Here are their addresses. *Gives addresses* I have guns stashed near their addresses. If I can't get to them, I will call someone to kill them when I get free."

Then he gets away form the tasing and starts running.

The law-breaker is absolutely a victim in this situation however and deserves all of the sympathy and outrage he can get as there is no justification for the police' actions, thus pointing out that the victim might have been a sleaze bag prior to his death is more or less a red herring.

In this case, yes. He seems like a small-peanuts poor guy (may have committed in his past but nothing serious).

dadudemon
Originally posted by Star428
Heh, so the victim deserves no blame here at all for running away from the cop? LOL. I guess this attitude shouldn't surprise me here on KMC. He knew damn well that running away could result in him being shot at.

I know you have me on ignore because you hate how well I destroy idiotic statements, like this. But if you don't have me on ignore, read this post because it is good:

Here's your problem: it is unreasonable and barbaric for you to hold an idea like this.

No unarmed citizen should ever expect to get shot in the back while running away from law-enforcement. Ever. In fact, in almost all citizen-police encounters, a citizen should be able to assume that their life will remain intact after the confrontation. Here's what you're missing from your understanding, most especially, so pay attention: EVEN IF YOU ARE ARMED AND VIOLENT, AN ENCOUNTER WITH POLICE DOES NOT NEED TO RESULT IN THE LOSS OF LIFE.

Obviously, the optimal/best outcome is no one loses their life and an attacker or would-be-violent-offender is peacefully subdued. That should be the goal of any law-enforcement.

Tzeentch
In that situation you would chase him then- that's what the police are trained to do. If he was armed it'd be a different story, but he wasn't.

edit- Actually, I think we're on the same wavelength.

dadudemon
Originally posted by MF DELPH
Walter was an idiot and should be in jail (just like Mike Brown should be), but they should both be alive.

thumb up

Originally posted by NemeBro
dadudemon's image does appear to show a taser being planted.

The first 5 times I watched that gif, I was creeped out. That's the kind of shit you see on corrupt cop movies. Stuff of fantasy. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. If it is what it it appears to be...all my rage...all of it.

In that situation you would chase him then- that's what the police are trained to do. If he was armed it'd be a different story, but he wasn't.

edit- Actually, I think we're on the same wavelength.

Possibly but in that case where it was proven that the perp was definitely confirmed to be violent, is homicidal, and had a history of following through on threats, the cop may be justified in a criminal court for shooting him as he ran (meaning, he wouldn't lose his job or serve time). Meaning, he may be viewed as exercising reasonable force against a known homicidal violent criminal.

This is not the case at all, here. I think the book should be thrown at this criminal (former cop).

Henry_Pym
I watched the show cops the other night. Some guy with his girl in the car ran from police. Somehow (lol drunk) ran off the road into a tree. He and the girl were thrown from the car and lived. He was barely able to walk and just crawled as the police tasered him 5-6 times and kicked and punched him in the face I don't know how many times. He was absolutely no threat. My friend was telling me that if anyone runs and doesn't surrender right away they're subjected to anything the arresting officer feels fit. Hoping that's not true Your friend isn't technically wrong, if an officer "feels" threatened they can use "up to" lethal force. They have to be able to defend their actions later though.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by dadudemon
I know you have me on ignore because you hate how well I destroy idiotic statements, like this. But if you don't have me on ignore, read this post because it is good:

Here's your problem: it is unreasonable and barbaric for you to hold an idea like this.

No unarmed citizen should ever expect to get shot in the back while running away from law-enforcement. Ever. In fact, in almost all citizen-police encounters, a citizen should be able to assume that their life will remain intact after the confrontation. Here's what you're missing from your understanding, most especially, so pay attention: EVEN IF YOU ARE ARMED AND VIOLENT, AN ENCOUNTER WITH POLICE DOES NOT NEED TO RESULT IN THE LOSS OF LIFE.

Obviously, the optimal/best outcome is no one loses their life and an attacker or would-be-violent-offender is peacefully subdued. That should be the goal of any law-enforcement.
Quoted, on the off chance that Star has you on ignore but not me.

Henry_Pym
when you make foolish statements like "never" you invite criticism. Let's wait till all information come out before we condemn this officer.

Omega Vision
when you make foolish statements like "never" you invite criticism. Let's wait till all information come out before we condemn this officer.
Who/what post are you even replying to?

Surtur
I do think you should never expect to get shot in the back, but I also think you should never run from the cops. It doesn't mean what the cop did was right, but don't give these creeps an excuse to shoot you.

Henry_Pym
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Who/what post are you even replying to? the one you quoted/agreed with, just because your back is turned doesn't mean your not a threat. All I'm saying is wait for the facts to come out, not sure why anyone would oppose that.

Wei Phoenix
the one you quoted/agreed with, just because your back is turned doesn't mean your not a threat. All I'm saying is wait for the facts to come out, not sure why anyone would oppose that.

What fact are we waiting for exactly? It is a fact that his back was turned and running away. Nothing indicates or says that he was running away to go and hurt someone else or run and get a gun or anything.

Surtur
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
What fact are we waiting for exactly? It is a fact that his back was turned and running away. Nothing indicates or says that he was running away to go and hurt someone else or run and get a gun or anything.

Like Bill Maher said: obviously the cop thought the kid was running at him with his back turned while shrinking.

Lestov16
the one you quoted/agreed with, just because your back is turned doesn't mean your not a threat. All I'm saying is wait for the facts to come out, not sure why anyone would oppose that.

The video is clear as day. It's not ambiguous like Martin or Brown, or even like Garner. He was killed running away and then the cop planted a weapon on him. There is no dispute.

Henry_Pym
...the video which doesn't show the start of the incident... Only leftists hate waiting for facts, you realize the officer is already in prison, let the IA do thier investigation and don't freak out when it's turned into a manslaughter conviction.

Wei Phoenix
...the video which doesn't show the start of the incident... Only leftists hate waiting for facts, you realize the officer is already in prison, let the IA do thier investigation and don't freak out when it's turned into a manslaughter conviction.

What could've happened before that part of the video that justifies shooting an unarmed fleeing suspect in the back?

Omega Vision
just because your back is turned doesn't mean your not a threat.
It means exactly that if you're running away, you've given no indication of being armed, and the other person has a gun. C'mon, this is weapons-grade stupidity.

Bashar Teg

yes lets ignore the obvious and wait indefinitely for some freak plot-twist that will justify the desperate and nonsensical narrative of the "all cops r good guys PERIOD!!!" crowd.

meanwhile, in the real world, the only question is which classification of unlawful killing he will be convicted of. but don't let that confuse and dampen your vibrant imagination.

Wei Phoenix
I could understand if Scott was running for a gun on the ground, if he was running to attack someone or use them as a hostage, but he was running away out of fear. Witnesses say that it looked like he was running for his life and just to escape. Scott should be arrested and Slager shouldn't be in jail.

SayWhat
Seems that police officers need to have some sort of insurance policy they have to carry to be bonded and insured.

Some sort of Errors and Omissions and general liability umbrella policy. Now the city and county will have to pay millions to the family of this guy and his kids will get social security until they are 21 and taxes will go up that taxpayers have to pay.

Add all the rating experience of law enforcement, local, state and federal and have the cops pay a few hundred a month or whatever that amount would be.

Similar to some sort of malpractice for doctors.

SayWhat
Seems we are getting a new video of the week, now it's in Oklahoma the latest viral vid.

SayWhat
Maybe we need to have a sort of pool and bet where the next such incident will be, as sad as it is, might as well make some money off it.

Lestov16
One must wonder if this is due to an increase in police brutality or merely the nation finally paying more attention to it due to the advanced spread of information that the internet, social media, and video sharing sites. If it's the latter, it's a horrifying situation, but the same can be said about the former as well, especially with newfound access to military grade weapons.

SayWhat
Originally posted by Lestov16
One must wonder if this is due to an increase in police brutality or merely the nation finally paying more attention to it due to the advanced spread of information that the internet, social media, and video sharing sites. If it's the latter, it's a horrifying situation, but the same can be said about the former as well, especially with newfound access to military grade weapons.

It is sad, but it does point out that police brutality does exist.

Seems there should be a protocol in these things.

Pepper spray, taser, bean bags, rubber bullets, batons, cop dog pile the suspect and then use real bullets last.

Henry_Pym
What could've happened before that part of the video that justifies shooting an unarmed fleeing suspect in the back? if the officer was tased, and wasn't sure if his "suspect" was still armed and looking for a hostage. I get it, your a sheltered millennial that's never been in any situation even close to this, and everything is black/white (not race) in your thoughts. I'm Not sure why your anti fact.Originally posted by Omega Vision
It means exactly that if you're running away, you've given no indication of being armed, and the other person has a gun. C'mon, this is weapons-grade stupidity. so you have never heard of retreating? Lol at assumptions being greater than facts, your last statement is highly ironic to that statement you made. Originally posted by Bashar Teg
yes lets ignore the obvious and wait indefinitely for some freak plot-twist that will justify the desperate and nonsensical narrative of the "all cops r good guys PERIOD!!!" crowd.

meanwhile, in the real world, the only question is which classification of unlawful killing he will be convicted of. but don't let that confuse and dampen your vibrant imagination. ...you be anti fact, I'll live in the real world.

Henry_Pym
I could understand if Scott was running for a gun on the ground, if he was running to attack someone or use them as a hostage, but he was running away out of fear. Witnesses say that it looked like he was running for his life and just to escape. Scott should be arrested and Slager shouldn't be in jail. "witnesses" also said Brown was on his knees with his hands up... Can we just just let the facts come out before we devolve into bloodthirsty mobs.Originally posted by Lestov16
One must wonder if this is due to an increase in police brutality or merely the nation finally paying more attention to it due to the advanced spread of information that the internet, social media, and video sharing sites. If it's the latter, it's a horrifying situation, but the same can be said about the former as well, especially with newfound access to military grade weapons. i think it's more cause/effect. Ferguson was a clean shoot, but people lied about it, New York was a tragedy but it was at best a horrible lapse in judgement on the officers part; not a case of brutality. We are lying to unintelligent people and making them afraid of police and when brutality against officers lead to brutality from officers you can't act surprised. Originally posted by SayWhat
It is sad, but it does point out that police brutality does exist.

Seems there should be a protocol in these things.

Pepper spray, taser, bean bags, rubber bullets, batons, cop dog pile the suspect and then use real bullets last. there is, don't be dumb.

Tzeentch
if the officer was tased, and wasn't sure if his "suspect" was still armed and looking for a hostage. That wouldn't provide legal justification for shooting a man walking away from you in the back.

You're basically just making this up as you go, aren't you?

Wei Phoenix
"witnesses" also said Brown was on his knees with his hands up... Can we just just let the facts come out before we devolve into bloodthirsty mobs.

No one is talking about Brown, those witnesses are different from the ones involved in the Scott death. What they are saying goes along with what is seen, he's running away and trying to escape.

if the officer was tased, and wasn't sure if his "suspect" was still armed and looking for a hostage. I get it, your a sheltered millennial that's never been in any situation even close to this, and everything is black/white (not race) in your thoughts.

You are completely wrong about everything you just said here outside of me not being in a situation close to this. You're right, I have never had to run out of fear of the cops or been in a situation where I tussled with the cops.

I'm not sure I understand your first sentence though, are you saying that he tased the officer?

Henry_Pym
That wouldn't provide legal justification for shooting a man walking away from you in the back.

You're basically just making this up as you go, aren't you? actually, yes it does... You might want to look at the law beforehand so as not to look foolish.
Nation wide- an officer may use any and all force up to and including deadly force if they FEEL threatened.

The court exists as for them to prove reasonable "feelings"Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
No one is talking about Brown, those witnesses are different from the ones involved in the Scott death. What they are saying goes along with what is seen, he's running away and trying to escape.

You are completely wrong about everything you just said here outside of me not being in a situation close to this. You're right, I have never had to run out of fear of the cops or been in a situation where I tussled with the cops.

I'm not sure I understand your first sentence though, are you saying that he tased the officer? your saying witnesses should be taken as facts when a similar case had multiple cases of fraudulent witnesses.

I'm wrong about everything except the first and last sentence... In a two sentence post but w/e sorry about the flaming. I said >IF< so if so, being tased can make your eyes water, your heart race, hell it could have just pissed him off and made him make a poor decision but in the witness tape you see what appears to be the taser on the ground after the shooting,(it appears the officer moved it to the body for what appears to be tampering reasons), and on the dash cam tape we hear the officer screaming "Taser, Taser, Taser" andthen scream like he was possibly tased

Tzeentch
actually, yes it does... You might want to look at the law beforehand so as not to look foolish.
Nation wide- an officer may use any and all force up to and including deadly force if they FEEL threatened.And yet...

So why even throw that in my face? The statute you've provided allows an Officer to use lethal force if he "feels" threatened, but by your own admission simply "having a feeling" is not a carte blanche justification for using deadly force, in court, I.E. the context of the discussion.

Technically, being 6'3 and black could make the officer "feel threatened" and thus give him the power to use deadly force, however that would not be a valid justification in a court of law. Similarly, the scenario you outlined above may well have led to the officer "feeling threatened" and thus compelled to use deadly force, but the visible lack of weaponry in the man's hands combined with the fact that he was retreating from the officer with his back to him means that that "feeling" of threat wasn't justified.

Omega Vision
Can we just agree that Pym is an idiot and move on?

Bashar Teg
someone else tried to assert that the video was CGI, yet pym wins "retard of the thread". thats impressive.

Henry_Pym
And yet...

So why even throw that in my face? The statute you've provided allows an Officer to use lethal force if he "feels" threatened, but by your own admission simply "having a feeling" is not a carte blanche justification for using deadly force, in court, I.E. the context of the discussion.

Technically, being 6'3 and black could make the officer "feel threatened" and thus give him the power to use deadly force, however that would not be a valid justification in a court of law. Similarly, the scenario you outlined above may well have led to the officer "feeling threatened" and thus compelled to use deadly force, but the visible lack of weaponry in the man's hands combined with the fact that he was retreating from the officer with his back to him means that that "feeling" of threat wasn't justified. so the Taser isn't a weapon, my god your an idiot.

Henry_Pym
Can we just agree that Pym is an idiot and move on? because I schooled you so bad in this debate you are acting like a child? Cry harder. Originally posted by Bashar Teg
someone else tried to assert that the video was CGI, yet pym wins "retard of the thread". thats impressive. coming from some backwards thinking moron such as yourself I'll take that as a compliment.

Omega Vision
because I schooled you so bad in this debate you are acting like a child? Cry harder. coming from some backwards thinking moron such as yourself I'll take that as a compliment.
I searched the debate top to bottom, couldn't find you schooling me anywhere.

All I could find was you suggesting that an unarmed man running away from the cops is somehow a threat to cops. LOL.

Henry_Pym
I suggested we should wait for the facts to come out, then gave multiple examples of what could have happened. So, now either your lying about going over my debates or your an amazingly high functioning illiterate.

Bashar Teg
yeah everyone's lying. the cop probably had a good reason to execute the guy. the police chief is probably lying, the video is probably fake. whatever you want to be true is probably true.

Can we just agree that Pym is an idiot and move on?

this was very good suggestion...obviously.

Lestov16
http://bluenationreview.com/audio-cop-caught-tape-laughing-killed-walterscott/?%3Futm_campaign=Accomplice

Bashar Teg
i'm not going to assert that it was nervous laughter, but lets not pretend that that's not an actual thing.

Henry_Pym
yeah everyone's lying. the cop probably had a good reason to execute the guy. the police chief is probably lying, the video is probably fake. whatever you want to be true is probably true.

this was very good suggestion...obviously. you're pathetic, please exempt yourself from adult conversations.

Tzeentch
so the Taser isn't a weapon, my god your an idiot. Was he holding the taser at the time of being shot? No? Class dismissed.

Wei Phoenix
actually, yes it does... You might want to look at the law beforehand so as not to look foolish.
Nation wide- an officer may use any and all force up to and including deadly force if they FEEL threatened.

The court exists as for them to prove reasonable "feelings" your saying witnesses should be taken as facts when a similar case had multiple cases of fraudulent witnesses.

I'm wrong about everything except the first and last sentence... In a two sentence post but w/e sorry about the flaming. I said >IF< so if so, being tased can make your eyes water, your heart race, hell it could have just pissed him off and made him make a poor decision but in the witness tape you see what appears to be the taser on the ground after the shooting,(it appears the officer moved it to the body for what appears to be tampering reasons), and on the dash cam tape we hear the officer screaming "Taser, Taser, Taser" andthen scream like he was possibly tased

You're wrong about me seeing everything as black and white.

You're wrong about me being sheltered and being a millenial.

You're right that I have never been in a situation remotely close to what Scott went through.

Henry_Pym
Was he holding the taser at the time of being shot? No? Class dismissed. I already covered this, but continue to ignore.

Henry_Pym
You're wrong about me seeing everything as black and white.

You're wrong about me being sheltered and being a millenial.

You're right that I have never been in a situation remotely close to what Scott went through. ok

Omega Vision
This whole "let's wait for more evidence to come through" trip might be appropriate if there weren't already multiple examples of video evidence that stack up along with eyewitness testimony. It will take some damning evidence to overturn this. Conspiracy theory type shit.
you're pathetic, please exempt yourself from adult conversations.
I think you should follow your own advice.

Henry_Pym
This whole "let's wait for more evidence to come through" trip might be appropriate if there weren't already multiple examples of video evidence that stack up along with eyewitness testimony. It will take some damning evidence to overturn this. Conspiracy theory type shit.

I think you should follow your own advice. Originally posted by Henry_Pym
I already covered this, but continue to ignore.

Ushgarak
Ok everyone, please refrain from making posts that just attack someone and make no attempt to engage with the topic.

Quincy
Ush coming in throwing the hammer down that's what we like to seeeeee.

If this dude doesn't get all kinds of punishment then the investment in body cameras at all is a waste. Same thing can be said of the Eric Garner event.

Henry_Pym
??? Is there a third video? The first video is missing most of the altercation & the Dash Cam doesn't show anything.

Bashar Teg
indeed. surely there must be some video out there with a new angle that shows him grow a third hand with a pistol out of his anus. until then, nobody is allowed to discuss this!!! should i request a thread closure until then?

Henry_Pym
I'm not sure why your so against not jumping to conclusions based on effectively no evidence?

Stringer
The other shooter was probably in the grassy knoll

Omega Vision
I'm not sure why your so against not jumping to conclusions based on effectively no evidence?
So let's be candid here--what evidence would you require to accept that Walter Scott was wrongfully killed?

Henry_Pym
So let's be candid here--what evidence would you require to accept that Walter Scott was wrongfully killed? if he was not compromised, and shot. All I want to know is what lead to the shooting.

Omega Vision
What do you mean by "compromised?"

Henry_Pym
Here you go againOriginally posted by Henry_Pym
actually, yes being tased can make your eyes water, your heart race, hell it could have just pissed him off and made him make a poor decision but in the witness tape you see what appears to be the taser on the ground after the shooting,(it appears the officer moved it to the body for what appears to be tampering reasons), and on the dash cam tape we hear the officer screaming "Taser, Taser, Taser" andthen scream like he was possibly tased there's things that can make this into a justified shooting, whether you like it or not.

Bashar Teg
i wonder what just cause he may have had to pick up the taser and plant it next to the body. I'm sure it was something having to do with duty, honor, and sacrifice. things lesser citizens like myself just wouldn't understand.

Henry_Pym
Please read my post.

Omega Vision
Here you go again there's things that can make this into a justified shooting, whether you like it or not.
That's circumstantial evidence at best, and as even you admit doesn't explain or justify planting the taser on the body or lying about administering CPR. Even if evidence surfaced that Scott did at one point take control of the taser (have you considered that maybe the cop just yelled "taser!" because he was already trying to manufacture his cover story? that fits better with the evidence planting), all this deception and tampering with evidence should be enough to put the cop in jail, albeit on lesser charges than murder.

Somehow I don't think you'd be so gung-ho about waiting for more evidence to come out if the situation were reversed and we were trying to figure out the circumstances of the officer's murder.

Henry_Pym
I'm not on the officers side either way, he appears to change the position of the taser & I agree that that is bad. Cpr thing doesn't really matter as he was dead either way, though I can see how lying about it can definitely hurt any defense towards innocence.

The idea it was premeditated and he was yelling "taser" a la Jimbo's "he's coming right at us" seems kinda foolish, imo the officer was tased after being assaulted and was angry and acted very rashly. It's a bad shoot, but it's manslaughter, not Murder one.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>