Spartacus vs Leonidas vs Maximus vs Achilles

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
Who takes this?

Jmanghan
Damnit guys!!

relentless1
Achilles is on another level from all these guys

Dreampanther
Originally posted by relentless1
Achilles is on another level from all these guys

Pretty much this. The way they portrayed him he was more superhero than hero. Of the other three, I would guess Maximus the best because he was never beaten until he was poisoned, then Leonidas then Spartacus. I think they are quite close though and I haven't seen the final season of Spartacus.

relentless1
Achilles >> Spartacus > Leonidas = Maximus

Spartacus comes in second, he's a much better Gladiator than Maximus and Leonidas only really had group feats, he almost got beat by that huge Immortal, yet still has a bad ass enough aura to make 3rd overall

Jmanghan
But Spartacus... and... Dual Wield. sad

Dreampanther
I haven't seen the last season of Spartacus, but based on what I've seen I would rate Maximus higher than Spartacus. Every time Spartacus does one of those flying leaps he leaves himself wide open. Maximus is much more experienced. Spartacus got his @ss handed to him repeatedly when he first entered the arena, while Maximus simply slaughtered his way through anybody and anything that stood in his path. Maximus also seems more versatile and more adaptable.

Jmanghan
Nope, Spartacus wins.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Spartacus got his @ss handed to him repeatedly when he first entered the arena, while Maximus simply slaughtered his way through anybody and anything that stood in his path.

Actually, the first time Spartacus steps into the arena as a captive, he slaughters 4 trained gladiators. Admittedly he took a bit of a beating in the beginning, but once he got bloodlusted it literally took him under a minute to kill all 4.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Actually, the first time Spartacus steps into the arena as a captive, he slaughters 4 trained gladiators. Admittedly he took a bit of a beating in the beginning, but once he got bloodlusted it literally took him under a minute to kill all 4.

And then got his @ss handed to him with contemptuous ease by every single gladiator in the House of B... So that says a lot about the four fighters he first faced. Like I said, I haven't watched the final season of Spartacus, but Gattacus seemed a better fighter than Spartacus. Gattacus was a reigning champion for longer than Spartacus and won his freedom through his prowess, and when he and Spartacus faced off he actually seemed to be in control when the fight was stopped.

Spartacus is the better leader but the better fighter? Not against Gattacus. So he isn't even the best fighter in his own series so far.

While Maximus never lost a fight, and beat a gladiator who, like Gattacus, was an undefeated champion who had won his freedom.

Thus Maximus > Gattacus > Spartacus.

Unless something happens in the final season of Spartacus? But no spoilers, please, as I still want to watch it.

Jmanghan
Spartacus wins guys, give it up.

Dreampanther
Repeating something over and over with no evidence or even an argument doesn't make it true. Never mind Maximus, how does Spartacus beat Achilles?

Jmanghan
Repeating something over and over with no evidence or even an argument doesn't make it true. Never mind Maximus, how does Spartacus beat Achilles?

Have you even seen Spartacus fight? Also, you do know this is also counting his movie feat's as well.

He's taken down half an army single-handedly.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Have you even seen Spartacus fight? Also, you do know this is also counting his movie feat's as well.

He's taken down half an army single-handedly.

Which movie? The movie about a totally different story, with totally different characters and feats, in a totally different Rome, in a totally different movie-verse? No, I didn't know that.

So, by your reasoning, I am now welcome to use Christopher Reeves' feats in Superman in a debate about Henry Cavill's Man of Steel? Or Michael Keaton's Batman in a debate about Christian Bale's Dark Knight?

TheVaultDweller
And then got his @ss handed to him with contemptuous ease by every single gladiator in the House of B... So that says a lot about the four fighters he first faced. Like I said, I haven't watched the final season of Spartacus, but Gattacus seemed a better fighter than Spartacus. Gattacus was a reigning champion for longer than Spartacus and won his freedom through his prowess, and when he and Spartacus faced off he actually seemed to be in control when the fight was stopped.

Spartacus is the better leader but the better fighter? Not against Gattacus. So he isn't even the best fighter in his own series so far.

What? I think you are seriously misremembering things. At no point did he get his "@ss handed to him with contemptuous ease by every single gladiator in the House of B". His very first showing, before any training, was against Crixus (who was at his prime) and he lasted a while before Crixus eventually won. He improves rapidly and during their next encounter actually gets the better of him.

And it is Gannicus, not Gattacus. Spartacus and Gannicus are basically equals by the end of things. Gannicus even admits that they are equals with the sword but that Spartacus is actually his superior with a spear.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
What? I think you are seriously misremembering things. At no point did he get his "@ss handed to him with contemptuous ease by every single gladiator in the House of B". His very first showing, before any training, was against Crixus (who was at his prime) and he lasted a while before Crixus eventually won. He improves rapidly and during their next encounter actually gets the better of him.

And it is Gannicus, not Gattacus. Spartacus and Gannicus are basically equals by the end of things. Gannicus even admits that they are equals with the sword but that Spartacus is actually his superior with a spear.

Ah, okay, let's take it point by point:

- I think you may be misremembering things as well. Crixus turns his back to him a few times out of contempt, never bothering to follow up one of his blows with a finishing strike as he would with a serious contestant. It finishes when Spartacus throws his sword at Crixus's back, who then strikes it out of the air killing one of the recruits.

- Doctori doesn't even bother to use more than his unarmed right hand to strike Spartacus to the ground. None of the trained, experienced gladiators show more than contempt or ease when dealing with him.

- Spartacus does perform slightly better when dealing with the other recruits, and his second showing against Crixus during the test after he has been training for a while also shows some promise.

Perhaps this has caused the confusion?

- Apologies for Gannicus. I just called him Tarzan most of the time stick out tongue It is nice to find out that they are proven to be more or less equals, as it gives me something to look forward to in the final season. But it still does not change my argument that Maximus beats somebody exactly like Gannicus.

At least you and I seem to agree about Achilles and Leonidas, though. big grin

Jmanghan
Again, Spartacus has taken down half-armies alone.

Zenwolf
When?

Also he's had trouble against the Roman Legionnaires, I'm recalling he's been in a tight spot and disarmed and had to be saved more than once.

So he's not invincible here.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Zenwolf
When?

Also he's had trouble against the Roman Legionnaires, I'm recalling he's been in a tight spot and disarmed and had to be saved more than once.

So he's not invincible here.

He's trying to argue that the Kirk Douglas Spartacus from 1960 and the Andy Whitfield Spartacus from 2010 is the same Spartacus, I believe.

Zenwolf
He's trying to argue that the Kirk Douglas Spartacus from 1960 and the Andy Whitfield Spartacus from 2010 is the same Spartacus, I believe.

...Right...

Jmanghan
Ok, best version of Spartacus then.

**** off.

Zenwolf
No need to snap, you gotta specify which version of the characters you're using for battles.

playa1258
Spartacus is easily better than Maximus.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by playa1258
Spartacus is easily better than Maximus.

Proof?

playa1258
Watch Spartacus.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by playa1258
Watch Spartacus.

I did. Watch him getting his @ss kicked. Quite a few times. While Maximus triumphed, again and again.

Thus your argument, and therefore your conclusion, is invalid, null and void.

relentless1
once you get past the first season Saprtacus kicks all kinds of ass

Jmanghan
I did. Watch him getting his @ss kicked. Quite a few times. While Maximus triumphed, again and again.

Thus your argument, and therefore your conclusion, is invalid, null and void. Just because Maximus "triumphed again and again", does not make him better then Spartacus.

Dreampanther
So far, the only person who has offered any kind of proof that Spartacus might provide a brief moment of entertainment before Maximus disembowels him is TheVaultDweller.

Playa and Relentless provided no evidence whatsoever, while your feats stemmed from a 50-year old movie. If you go and look on IMDB you will find about seven different movies about Spartacus. Perhaps you need to restart this thread and specify exactly which Spartacus you want to pit against Maximus.

So far, Spartacus is being destroyed. Not because he is a bad fighter, but because you provide absolutely no feats to support his prowess.

Maximus still stands undefeated. Spartacus lies on the ground, trying stuff his intestines back into his stomach.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

Jmanghan
Can't post Links.

Jmanghan
I'm trying to argue only with stuff I can remember, since making arguments using a ps vita is very hard, as there is no copy and paste option.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I'm trying to argue only with stuff I can remember, since making arguments using a ps vita is very hard, as there is no copy and paste option.

Fair enough, but you don't need to copy and paste. You can just type out a description of the scene you are referring to, to support the feat you are claiming for Spartacus. Then, if I want to disprove it or counter your claim, it is up to me to go look up the scene and come back with evidence to refute your argument, as I did with TheVaultDweller.

wink

TheVaultDweller
Ah, okay, let's take it point by point:

- I think you may be misremembering things as well. Crixus turns his back to him a few times out of contempt, never bothering to follow up one of his blows with a finishing strike as he would with a serious contestant. It finishes when Spartacus throws his sword at Crixus's back, who then strikes it out of the air killing one of the recruits.

- Doctori doesn't even bother to use more than his unarmed right hand to strike Spartacus to the ground. None of the trained, experienced gladiators show more than contempt or ease when dealing with him.

- Spartacus does perform slightly better when dealing with the other recruits, and his second showing against Crixus during the test after he has been training for a while also shows some promise.

Perhaps this has caused the confusion?

Well, I was just pointing out that he never got easily schooled by every gladiator. He gets handled by Crixus and that other guy, but after facing off and losing to Crixus and going to fight underground, the next real showing is against Theokoles, who he takes out with the aid of Crixus. And by the end of the season he is at least Crixus' equal, and later his superior.

I'd put end of series Spartacus above Oenomaus as well (though maybe not his prime, who survived Theokoles on his own), and seeing how easily even doctore Oenomaus handled Crixus and Spartacus at the same time during the first series, in their preparation for Theokoles, it shows how much of an improvement he made.

- Apologies for Gannicus. I just called him Tarzan most of the time stick out tongue It is nice to find out that they are proven to be more or less equals, as it gives me something to look forward to in the final season. But it still does not change my argument that Maximus beats somebody exactly like Gannicus.

At least you and I seem to agree about Achilles and Leonidas, though. big grin

Thing is we don't know whether Spartacus would have had the opportunity to do the same, in terms of winning his freedom. They instead found an even messier way than even Gladiator duels to get their freedom. By the end of the show, Spartacus has tons of feats of doing things that Maximus does, and more. Defeating highly rated and highly skilled opponents, who all have on screen combat feats, as well as easily slaughtering his way throw scores of regular soldiers, mercenaries etc. And he did still beat 4 trained gladiators, untrained, armed with a shitty sword and wearing what amounted to a man diaper. Though he was super bloodlusted when he did this, which actually makes a big difference with Spartacus. Like Gannicus, when he goes into full rage mode he becomes much more dangerous.

Personally I vote for Achilles. The guy, on multiple occasions, literally took out the very best warrior their opposition had to offer, one-on-one.

relentless1
lol im not worried about providing feats for Spartacus vs Maximus because its redundant, they both lose to Achilles anyways so whats the point

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.