Depressing After-Life Theories.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
1. Definitely would be "nothing". Not even a black void, just going to sleep and never waking up, no dreams to comfort you, no one left to help, just nothing.

2. Hell. Pretty self-explanatory, for most people this would be the worst, but nah, not for me, just kinda scary.

3. Being born again. Ok, so the only reason this one is here is because most of us are going to start a family one day, we'd like to see that family in the afterlife, or maybe someone we care about. But you lose your memories, and all traces of previous life, you have a new mother, your family is gone, everyone you love is gone, makes you get teary-eyed thinking about it, eh?

4. Death, is an illusion. Imagine after you "die" you find out that your whole life was an illusion, pretty sure I'd break down. No one could accept that, every friend you've ever made, everyone you've ever met, your video games, your family, everyone is gone, you have nothing. Now, as for what happens AFTER you "die" is an even bigger mystery, I'd like it to be a computer simulation even though it's most likely a test from higher beings (assuming this theory is true, but I doubt it.)

5. Being born as an animal. Live a carefree life, aside from the memories being gone and a shorter life depending on what animal you become. Though, that also means that you can't be as sophisticated, you will not have free will, and you will be a slave to humans. This one's just weird, but its religion for some people. Different Strokes.

Jmanghan
The ONLY good afterlife would be Heaven, honestly.

In fact, it sounds beautiful, reuniting with past family and friends, keeping your memories, and living in paradise.

Digi
#1 wouldn't be depressing. It wouldn't be anything. Try imagining an experience you had before you were born? Basically that.

Your list is far from exhaustive, btw. There are various other options, and several variations of the ones you listed that would be different enough as to elicit a different synopsis.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Digi
#1 wouldn't be depressing. It wouldn't be anything. Try imagining an experience you had before you were born? Basically that.

Your list is far from exhaustive, btw. There are various other options, and several variations of the ones you listed that would be different enough as to elicit a different synopsis. 1. Exactly. It wouldn't be anything... For Eternity... Everlasting nothing.

I highly doubt you'll dream during that "nothing". Not that you'd be able to acknowledge it if you could.

Genesis-Soldier
nothing but the fields of Elysium my friends, nothing but the fields

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Jmanghan
1. Definitely would be "nothing". Not even a black void, just going to sleep and never waking up, no dreams to comfort you, no one left to help, just nothing.

2. Hell. Pretty self-explanatory, for most people this would be the worst, but nah, not for me, just kinda scary.

3. Being born again. Ok, so the only reason this one is here is because most of us are going to start a family one day, we'd like to see that family in the afterlife, or maybe someone we care about. But you lose your memories, and all traces of previous life, you have a new mother, your family is gone, everyone you love is gone, makes you get teary-eyed thinking about it, eh?

4. Death, is an illusion. Imagine after you "die" you find out that your whole life was an illusion, pretty sure I'd break down. No one could accept that, every friend you've ever made, everyone you've ever met, your video games, your family, everyone is gone, you have nothing. Now, as for what happens AFTER you "die" is an even bigger mystery, I'd like it to be a computer simulation even though it's most likely a test from higher beings (assuming this theory is true, but I doubt it.)

5. Being born as an animal. Live a carefree life, aside from the memories being gone and a shorter life depending on what animal you become. Though, that also means that you can't be as sophisticated, you will not have free will, and you will be a slave to humans. This one's just weird, but its religion for some people. Different Strokes.

1. Digi already answered this one. The thought of utter oblivion might be depressing now, while you're still alive, but you wouldn't be bothered by it in any shape or form once you're dead.

2. Yep, eternal torment sounds pretty awful alright.

3. Once again, thinking about it now is pretty sad, but you'd be oblivious to it after being reborn. For all we know, this life could be like your 50th reincarnation.

4. Well, this is an interesting one. You know, I don't think I would be all that incredibly heartbroken if, after my death, it turned out that I was a member of some kind of an advanced civilization who decided to plug himself into a computer simulation cause I was bored or whatever. In fact, it'd be pretty cool, especially compared to other theories about afterlife.

5. See #3.

Genesis-Soldier
i have always had this debate, is it better to be a consious force after death or just met oblivion

Jmanghan
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
1. Digi already answered this one. The thought of utter oblivion might be depressing now, while you're still alive, but you wouldn't be bothered by it in any shape or form once you're dead.

2. Yep, eternal torment sounds pretty awful alright.

3. Once again, thinking about it now is pretty sad, but you'd be oblivious to it after being reborn. For all we know, this life could be like your 50th reincarnation.

4. Well, this is an interesting one. You know, I don't think I would be all that incredibly heartbroken if, after my death, it turned out that I was a member of some kind of an advanced civilization who decided to plug himself into a computer simulation cause I was bored or whatever. In fact, it'd be pretty cool, especially compared to other theories about afterlife.

5. See #3.

Uh, yeah. That's the point, its what makes Death so scary.

Bentley
6. You actually never, die, your body colapses and you continue to feel everything as a skeleton and your remains are sensible thumb up

Genesis-Soldier
^ douche

Jmanghan
Uh, that one kinda seems impossible.

Genesis-Soldier
because we all want to feel we are rotting slowly

Bentley
Uh, that one kinda seems impossible.

You did list being reborn as a different animal, mine sounds impossible? stick out tongue

Genesis-Soldier
soul transfer and reformation VS conciously feeling being rotted away... damn

riv6672
Going to sleep doesnt sound so bad.

Mindship
7. The Dream of individual, mortal life is over as a small piece of the Dreamer wakes up.

Spawningpool
Originally posted by riv6672
Going to sleep doesnt sound so bad.
laughing this made my day laughing

\\W//

lol love that you put video games ahead of family xD

i always thought eternal nothingness is likely to happen, for some reason, which is pretty depressing to think about. so its better to think about living.

Spawningpool
It would be cool after we die we are just in a dream forever... So depending on your mind you will live in a heaven or hell that would suit you

\\W//
I wouldn't mind being a ghost after i die. if i was a ghost though, i wouldn't be able to eat pizza, or anything else for that matter =\

Spawningpool
Originally posted by \\W//
I wouldn't mind being a ghost after i die. if i was a ghost though, i wouldn't be able to eat pizza, or anything else for that matter =\
If I was a ghost I'd walk into the White House, Area 51, and probably watch people shower because their would be nothing else to do after that

Omega Vision
Wow, so that would fill, what, five days of your time? What would you do with the rest of eternity?

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Spawningpool
It would be cool after we die we are just in a dream forever... So depending on your mind you will live in a heaven or hell that would suit you

Dude, that's the point, there would be no dreams, you would just go to sleep and never wake up, you would become this unthinking, unfeeling, useless (sorry xD) object.

You die and that's it, there is nothing left for you.

Literally, you guys are taking it so likely, but I'd at least like a conscious afterlife over complete nothingness.

So yeah, I'd rather go to hell for all eternity, be burned constantly and live in eternal torment if it meant I got to keep my memories of my past life AND have a conscious afterlife.

Spawningpool
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Wow, so that would fill, what, five days of your time? What would you do with the rest of eternity?
Watch t.v haunt people, watch people make babies maybe go to concerts and football games

Quincy
every friend you've ever made, everyone you've ever met, your video games, your family, everyone is gone, you have nothing. .

Wait

Jmanghan
Watch t.v haunt people, watch people make babies maybe go to concerts and football games

Ghosts are just part of Spectral Imaging.

Say you do the same thing every single day, if you were to die abruptly, spectral imaging would kick in, making your spirit do the same thing, depending on the thing that you're doing.

It's burned into life, as an image gets burned into an old tv.

You also can't harm corporeal forms, since you yourself would be an incorporeal form.

Though it wouldn't actually be YOU you. It would be your past self, your image continuing to do what you did everyday before you died.

Your real self would be in one of our afterlife's.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Quincy
Wait HEHE

Shakyamunison

Bentley
So yeah, I'd rather go to hell for all eternity, be burned constantly and live in eternal torment if it meant I got to keep my memories of my past life AND have a conscious afterlife.

So you would rather live tortured than being pity killed.

That can be tested eek!

Spawningpool
Originally posted by Bentley

That can be tested eek!
I smell a sitcom

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Bentley

That can be tested eek!

I'LL TAKE THE BOTH OF YA!!!

Spawningpool
I'LL TAKE THE BOTH OF YA!!!
I can hold him down Bentley

Jmanghan
No!

BackFire
Maybe there are ghost pizza stores. We don't know. Could be.

Personally I've always found the idea of #3 comforting.

Stringer
I truly believe in #1. As shit as it is, it makes the most sense to me.

riv6672
laughing this made my day laughing
thumb up

Jmanghan
Guys, I probably don't need to tell you this, but you can post your own after-life theories.

riv6672
Didnt want to go off topic.

Laurie

Jmanghan
Wow, that's a lot of words

Laurie
Wow, that's a lot of words

Bbbbbbut, you did ask...

*twinkles mischievously**

Jmanghan
I know xD

NemeBro
Originally posted by Digi
#1 wouldn't be depressing. It wouldn't be anything. Try imagining an experience you had before you were born? Basically that. That's what makes it depressing.

StyleTime
Dude. No you wouldn't.

riv6672
A veritable wall of text.

All kidding aside though...some interesting stuff in there. thumb up

Jmanghan
Originally posted by StyleTime
Dude. No you wouldn't. Yes I would.

Bentley
Yes I would.

It's as if you were asking to be tortured mate.

Genesis-Soldier
for a while yes but eternaty is a LONG time, believe me i wouldnt make it and would accept oblivion, and i am speaking from experience.

yes oblivion is a concept we cant truely grasp because when we ujnderstand enough of it it scaresd the bejibers out of us and we try to forget when we know we cant.

eventually we accept death and know we wont fear it anymore, heaven would be nice but i know it isnt there... wasnt when i tried

Genesis-Soldier
tipsy > spelling > life... nuff said

Omega Vision
Originally posted by BackFire
Maybe there are ghost pizza stores. We don't know. Could be.

Personally I've always found the idea of #3 comforting.
#3 always seemed pointless to me. If you lose your memory and identity, what's even the point of saying it's you?

Genesis-Soldier
if you lost your memories and identity, would you technically be dead?

like your body would live on /conciouness but your memories and personallity will have changed. so are you dead but still living ?

Jmanghan
Its actually become worse over time.

I think about more and more how fast people's lives pass by. What am I going to do if faced with the afterlife?

Whats going to happen to my family, will I ever see them again, will they be the same family or just figments of my imagination?

Everything I've ever done, every laugh thats ever come from my mouth.

My mom, my grandmom. Just seeing it all go away, the thought of never seeing them again. You may not wanna think about it, but loved ones won't be here forever, and neither will you. You probably won't be there to see your great great grandkids grow up and get married.

You might die with your family all around you, die happy. But then afterlife hits, and you're left there, knowing you may never see them again.

I dunno about you, but my fear of death and loss just shuts me down at times.

I'll sit there wondering how my life would change, what if something happens to my son or daughter and I can't help them? What if I can't see my baby brother ever again?

ArtificialGlory
Its actually become worse over time.

I think about more and more how fast people's lives pass by. What am I going to do if faced with the afterlife?

Whats going to happen to my family, will I ever see them again, will they be the same family or just figments of my imagination?

Everything I've ever done, every laugh thats ever come from my mouth.

My mom, my grandmom. Just seeing it all go away, the thought of never seeing them again. You may not wanna think about it, but loved ones won't be here forever, and neither will you. You probably won't be there to see your great great grandkids grow up and get married.

You might die with your family all around you, die happy. But then afterlife hits, and you're left there, knowing you may never see them again.

I dunno about you, but my fear of death and loss just shuts me down at times.

I'll sit there wondering how my life would change, what if something happens to my son or daughter and I can't help them? What if I can't see my baby brother ever again?
Uh oh, looks like somebody is having a bout of thanatophobia/existential crisis. Don't worry, there's almost certainly no afterlife. There's only oblivion.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Uh oh, looks like somebody is having a bout of thanatophobia/existential crisis. Don't worry, there's almost certainly no afterlife. There's only oblivion. THATS WORSE!

Flyattractor
With the Oblivion route it isn't going to be bad at all. Because you won't exist. You won't experience anything because there will no longer be a YOU.
You really have no more meaning then that bug you stepped on once.

Surtur
Here is a question, if heaven is real how do you feel dead spouses should be handled? So for example: A woman is married to this man, she loves him a lot. Tragically he dies at age 45. 5 years later she remarries. Within 2 decades both the woman and her new hubby pass away.

So..who is she going to be sexing it up with in the after life? Hubby #1 or hubby #2? Or both? Or neither? Who will she go off with for all eternity? Who SHOULD she go off with for all eternity?

Flyattractor
Marriage Vows are only till Death do we Part as I recall.

And if there is a heaven I would hope it has got something better to offer then just "sex".

Surtur
If the after life is real and you exist after your body shuts down then you aren't actually dead though.

Plus if marriage vows were taken seriously then nobody would ever get divorced lol. People don't take these vows seriously, how many people get married far too quickly? How many cheat on their spouses and don't even admit to it? How many just settle and stay with someone because they feel they can't do any better?

Marriage is such a joke these days I never got why people whined about gay marriage. Stop acting like the marriage between a man and woman are so damn sacred and holy, divorce rates say otherwise, so just what are these people trying to preserve?

Flyattractor
What isn't a joke these days?

ArtificialGlory
THATS WORSE!
It may seem that way now, but you're not going to be bothered in the least by anything once you're actually dead.

Flyattractor
I would think that the Beetlejuice version of the Afterlife could be pretty crappy. "What!? I am Dead and I still have to get a JOB!?"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.