Are nuclear weapons obsolete in the SW universe?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Abonis
At least in new canon. Are nuclear warheads obsolete in favor of other types of missiles?

The Merchant
They should be.

|King Joker|
The Umbarans had nuclear missile type weapons with huge yields comparable to modern day nuclear warheads that were very effective in protecting their bases and keeping the 501st and the 212th at bay. So, nuclear-type weapons are still effective in warfare.

Zenwolf
Against fleets they just go lol at them.

WildBantha88
I remember the scene where Jax Pavan set off a nuclear explosion and for a second it looked like Vader was caught in the blast, and I was freaking out because I thought that Vader just tanked a nuke. But it turns out he flew away in an escape pod first.

I was sad

Gambler
Mandalorians had them in KotOR too. If the ground targets have shields, then nukes are of no use. Besides, nuclear pollution is a huge shortcoming if you want to take and keep the territory afterwards. But I guess they have good equipment to protect soldiers from poisoning - armour, shields and maybe devices, that actually can gather nuclear particles from affected territories etc.

Devastation it causes is probably not worth it.

Revanchiste
Originally posted by Darth Abonis
At least in new canon. Are nuclear warheads obsolete in favor of other types of missiles?

There is no new canon there a JJ that own his bible, that now applied to the entire E.U, and if JJ make a mistake there is no other artist that can try his chance to correct it...
Why Grievous is so great in the E.U? I you even wonder that..

Anyway Proton torpedos, still canon so yhea...
In the old canon, that still for me an many other star war fans, true, Galaxy gun shells...

Sun crsuher.

We can say that disruptor is a nuclear weapon...

Umbarian have weapons similar to necron in warhammer 40 000...

Q99
Nukes don't seem to exist in SW, at least not in canon. Equally big power, sure, but nuclear doesn't really come up.

S_W_LeGenD
Mandalorian forces, during KoTOR era, possessed nukes and even used them in some confrontations.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Q99
Nukes don't seem to exist in SW, at least not in canon. Equally big power, sure, but nuclear doesn't really come up.

Nukes are in Legends canon yes, they just are used more by primitive people on the Outer Rim worlds and so on, they just don't appear a lot because they are...well primitive. They can be effective, but only in particular ways.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.