Vector vs Magneto

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

golem370
Vector an Magneto in their prime. Who wins?

krisblaze
Vector from U-Foes?

I think Magneto's got too many showings and can do too much with his powers.

golem370
What could he do that Vector couldn't repel back at him?

krisblaze
Well Magneto hasn't been limited to throwing things at people since....ever

zopzop
Vector, like the rest of the U-foes, suffer from severe PIS. At his best, Vector was repelling any and all energies around a compound that the U-Foes had overtaken. Mystic energy (from Dr. Strange), psionic energy (from Prof. X), electromagnetic energy (from various radars and stuff). Nothing could get through.

Vector is pretty beastly for what he is. I'm convinced he could ward off anything Magneto could throw his way. But at the same time, I'm not sure he has what it takes to put Magneto down.

carver9
Vector is more powerful. At his best he was pushing back 'reality' with no effort at all and then he upped the blast.

Magnon
Fact: Oxygen (O2) is paramagnetic.

Magneto can draw ultra-cold oxygen from the upper atmosphere and direct the flow at Vector. If Vector doesn't repel it he will freeze to death... and if he *does* start repelling oxygen, he will suffocate himself.

Magneto wins.

golem370
Has he ever done that and is keeping from push him into space or something?

carver9
Originally posted by golem370
Has he ever done that and is keeping from push him into space or something?

Its all made up. Never happened on panel.

riv6672
Yeah thats way out there. laughing out loud
If that wrte the case then Vector just pushes the "bad" air away, keeping the "good".

Nice to see a U Foe getting some props though!

Magnon
Originally posted by carver9
Its all made up. Never happened on panel.

Check Uncanny X-men 202, he freezes a sentinel with such a trick.

Vector has NEVER shown the ability to selectively repel different gases, let alone selectively repel the SAME type of gas at different temperatures. He would be screwed.

carver9
Originally posted by Magnon
Check Uncanny X-men 202, he freezes a sentinel with such a trick.

Vector has NEVER shown the ability to selectively repel different gases, let alone selectively repel the SAME type of gas at different temperatures. He would be screwed.

Vector has repelled 'REALITY'. Are you really comparing gas to that?

Magnon
Vector has repelled 'REALITY'. Are you really comparing gas to that?

No. Read my post again.

Selectively --> only repelling one type of gas (lets say O2) at a time while simulteneously NOT repelling the other (say, N2). Let alone only repelling 'cold' gas while not repelling 'hot' gas.

carver9
no expression

Magnon
no expression

By all means, provide proof/reference if you think otherwise.

I have given the issue number where Magneto has used this type of attack ON PANEL. And I have explained how this would take out Vector. (He can either choose to repel it, and suffocate, or let it reach him, and freeze.)

carver9
By all means, provide proof/reference if you think otherwise.

I have given the issue number where Magneto has used this type of attack ON PANEL. And I have explained how this would take out Vector. (He can either choose to repel it, and suffocate, or let it reach him, and freeze.)

Pretty sure Bobby had a lot to do with the scene you are mentioning.

Why would I need to provide proof of anything? The gas wouldn't even touch Vector if he is giving it his all (which he has a habit of doing sometimes). So this gas that you are talking about along with everything else, including Magneto, is getting ripped to shreds. Also, the battle takes place in a featureless environment, not on earth unless stated otherwise by the OP.

Magnon
Pretty sure Bobby had a lot to do with the scene you are mentioning.

Why would I need to provide proof of anything? The gas wouldn't even touch Vector if he is giving it his all (which he has a habit of doing sometimes). So this gas that you are talking about along with everything else, including Magneto, is getting ripped to shreds. Also, the battle takes place in a featureless environment, not on earth unless stated otherwise by the OP.

Bobby had NOTHING to do with it, he wasn't even there.

And you still fail to understand my argument. I'll try again with full capitalization. Maybe you are only able to register sentences written in full-caps, such as HULK SMASH etc etc....

IF VECTOR DOESN'T ALLOW OXYGEN TO TOUCH HIM, HE WILL SUFFOCATE.

carver9
Bobby had NOTHING to do with it, he wasn't even there.

And you still fail to understand my argument. I'll try again with full capitalization. Maybe you are only able to register sentences written in full-caps, such as HULK SMASH etc etc....

IF VECTOR DOESN'T ALLOW OXYGEN TO TOUCH HIM, HE WILL SUFFOCATE.

And I can tell you didn't read my post. What is Vector repelling and where is it coming from?

DarkSaint85
And I can tell you didn't read my post. What is Vector repelling and where is it coming from?

Oxygen. Vector is repelling oxygen.

If he doesn't, well, have you ever seen Red Tornado fight? Imagine those winds.

Magnon

Whether or not he is repelling it, is his choice (he will lose anyway)... but Magneto's attack in my scenario consists of a flow of ultracold oxygen drawn magnetically from the upper atmosphere.

The general battlegroud IS on a planetary surface, in a generic environment. That includes standard gravity, atmosphere, humidity, etc.

Or are you saying e.g. Storm auto-loses all of her fights because of your silly insistence of 'no environmental features'?

carver9
Originally posted by DarkSaint85

Read his first sentence. He is repelling the cold that is "coming at him". It wouldn't even reach him before Magneto is turned to ashes. Now do you get what I am saying. Read Magnon first sentence.

carver9
Whether or not he is repelling it, is his choice (he will lose anyway)... but Magneto's attack in my scenario consists of a flow of ultracold oxygen drawn magnetically from the upper atmosphere.

The general battlegroud IS on a planetary surface, in a generic environment. That includes standard gravity, atmosphere, humidity, etc.

Or are you saying e.g. Storm auto-loses all of her fights because of your silly insistence of 'no environmental features'?

So what Vector is repelling hasn't even reached him yet? Yeah, Vector stomps.

Magnon
So what Vector is repelling hasn't even reached him yet? Yeah, Vector stomps.

If it reaches Vector, he will lose. If he doesn't allow it to reach him, he will also lose (because he needs oxygen).

Magneto will just need to stay out at a safe distance and channel this attack at Vector. Magneto wins.

carver9
If it reaches Vector, he will lose. If he doesn't allow it to reach him, he will also lose (because he needs oxygen).

Magneto will just need to stay out at a safe distance and channel this attack at Vector. Magneto wins.

Lol...there is no safe distance and you're acting like this attack (even if it reaches him) is coming from all angels, when it's not. That's all Vector has to do is repel it, Oxygen still will be coming to him unless you can show me this attack you are talking about engulfing the entire area.

Vector will be ok...

http://s388.photobucket.com/user/OneDumbG0/media-full/Hulk%20Fights%20T-Z/HulkvsU-Foes22.jpg.html

Magnon
Lol...there is no safe distance and you're acting like this attack (even if it reaches him) is coming from all angels, when it's not. That's all Vector has to do is repel it, Oxygen still will be coming to him unless you can show me this attack you are talking about engulfing the entire area.

Vector will be ok...

http://s388.photobucket.com/user/OneDumbG0/media-full/Hulk%20Fights%20T-Z/HulkvsU-Foes22.jpg.html

Of course there is a safe distance, something like 100 meters should already be enough if Mags has his shields up. But it can be much larger than that: Magneto can work across interplanetary distances if need be, Vector can not.

The attack I'm describing is indeed affecting the whole area around Vector; the column of cold air would be quite massive. And Magneto can multitask; if Vector leaves a direction open, any direction, Magneto can attack from that direction. Would Vector for example repel also the ground beneath his feet, or risk getting surprise-impaled by a metal spike from below?

Mags in his 'prime' is just too versatile, smart, and powerful for Vector.

DarkSaint85
Read his first sentence. He is repelling the cold that is "coming at him". It wouldn't even reach him before Magneto is turned to ashes. Now do you get what I am saying. Read Magnon first sentence.

Cold OXYGEN. Not just cold.

zopzop
Originally posted by DarkSaint85

This line of reasoning doesn't work with Vector. Even when he's repelling anything and everything, he still manages to breathe somehow.

Magnon
Originally posted by zopzop
This line of reasoning doesn't work with Vector. Even when he's repelling anything and everything, he still manages to breathe somehow.

The logical explanation is that he is NOT repelling 'anything and everything, and still managing to breathe'. Perhaps he always leaves a direction open for the air to get in, or perhaps he just holds his breath and this limits how long he can use his power continuously. Or maybe he can choose not to repel air. Lots of possibilities.

carver9
Of course there is a safe distance, something like 100 meters should already be enough if Mags has his shields up. But it can be much larger than that: Magneto can work across interplanetary distances if need be, Vector can not.

The attack I'm describing is indeed affecting the whole area around Vector; the column of cold air would be quite massive. And Magneto can multitask; if Vector leaves a direction open, any direction, Magneto can attack from that direction. Would Vector for example repel also the ground beneath his feet, or risk getting surprise-impaled by a metal spike from below?

Mags in his 'prime' is just too versatile, smart, and powerful for Vector.

Show me Magneto shields withstanding an attack of the magnitude I showed in my scan. I'm about to look at this scene you are talking about since I think you are overexaggerating.

Magnon
Show me Magneto shields withstanding an attack of the magnitude I showed in my scan. I'm about to look at this scene you are talking about since I think you are overexaggerating.

There are plenty. We are talking about an attack which is 'weak' enough not to draw blood from Hulk immediately; in this case even the distance between them is very short, something like 20 meters, and the Hulk is even trying to move closer to Vector.

Mags would be further (100+ meters) away NOT trying to resist/move towards the force, using shields that have much better track record tanking e.g. Mjolnir strikes than Hulk's face.

So.. would you like me to post a scan of Mags' shields blocking Mjolnir, or multiple simultaneous nukes, or orbital plasma cannon, or similar? Because each of these feats would suffice here. Vector had to struggle to get through the force field on Agamemnon's door, even though he was at point-blank range focusing all his power on it for extended period of time. Mags shields would only have to have a fraction of that strength to protect him in my scenario (1. much larger distance, 2. Magneto is not stationary, 3. Vector cannot focus his entire force at Mags shields for prolonged period of time, because he has to protect himself from omnidirectional attacks at the same time).

carver9
There are plenty. We are talking about an attack which is 'weak' enough not to draw blood from Hulk immediately; in this case even the distance between them is very short, something like 20 meters, and the Hulk is even trying to move closer to Vector.

Mags would be further (100+ meters) away NOT trying to resist/move towards the force, using shields that have much better track record tanking e.g. Mjolnir strikes than Hulk's face.

So.. would you like me to post a scan of Mags' shields blocking Mjolnir, or multiple simultaneous nukes, or orbital plasma cannon, or similar? Because each of these feats would suffice here. Vector had to struggle to get through the force field on Agamemnon's door, even though he was at point-blank range focusing all his power on it for extended period of time. Mags shields would only have to have a fraction of that strength to protect him in my scenario (1. much larger distance, 2. Magneto is not stationary, 3. Vector cannot focus his entire force at Mags shields for prolonged period of time, because he has to protect himself from omnidirectional attacks at the same time).

Which would be a high end durability ft for Hulk since Hulk was tanking an attack "that was ripping reality apart". Can't get any clearer than that and by the way, based off Hulk durability showings, it's far better than what Magneto shields have endured so you bringing up Mag best doesn't compare to anything. Now again, show me Magneto shields withstanding what I said or submit.

zopzop
The logical explanation is that he is NOT repelling 'anything and everything, and still managing to breathe'. Perhaps he always leaves a direction open for the air to get in, or perhaps he just holds his breath and this limits how long he can use his power continuously. Or maybe he can choose not to repel air. Lots of possibilities.
Or maybe it's comics and that's just how is power works? Like Superman or Thor lifting huge objects that would collapse under their own weight in real life, yet hold together just fine in comics.

riv6672
Or Supermsn hearing things in resl time over massive distances though it makes no sense, considering the speed of sound.

Magnon
Which would be a high end durability ft for Hulk since Hulk was tanking an attack "that was ripping reality apart". Can't get any clearer than that and by the way, based off Hulk durability showings, it's far better than what Magneto shields have endured so you bringing up Mag best doesn't compare to anything. Now again, show me Magneto shields withstanding what I said or submit.

Ehm what? This IS Mags at his best, as per the OP.

The feat by Vector which you showed cannot be quantified because we do not know the properties of that dimension. The only thing we can use from that is how it affected Hulk. Based on that, Magneto could protect himself from Vector's powers.

It would be stupid of Magneto to go stand right next to Vector and try to resist his force and see what happens. But Mags is not stupid. He would keep his distance and allow himself to be like a leaf in a wind, in case the initial distance is not enough.

Magneto wins.

golem370
Vector even if Magneto has his shields up can or should be able to be push with force even if it doesn't hurt him.

Magnon
Originally posted by zopzop
Or maybe it's comics and that's just how is power works? Like Superman or Thor lifting huge objects that would collapse under their own weight in real life, yet hold together just fine in comics.

Maybe it is, but this hasn't been established. The comics often try to get the physics right as far as possible, for example the scientific types often use pseudo-real-world concepts in order to defeat their opponents. Magneto is actually a good example of such a character.

Thus, as long as it isn't explicitly stated otherwise, a good starting assumption is that Vector's powers don't allow him to 'magically' breath while he's repelling stuff but instead there's a 'rational' explanation to it. Such as he is just holding his breath while he's repelling things in omnidirectional manner. This limitation is exactly something that Magneto could use against him (as in my scenario), and Mags certainly has used his powers in imaginative ways in the past to exploit his enemies' weaknesses.

Magnon
Vector even if Magneto has his shields up can or should be able to be push with force even if it doesn't hurt him.

Yeah, Vector's power is to REPEL things. Not disintegrate or w/e, but to repel. If the thing in question is not fixed in place, and is somewhat durable, the only thing that happens to it is that it gets thrown away. The situation when stuff gets damaged occurs when it is stationary and/or held against the force by some mechanism; for example the Hulk always gets damaged a lot if he tries to resist Vector's power and move towards him.

Magneto, unlike Hulk, does not need to get close or even try to remain stationary against Vector's attack. Therefore he doesn't need anywhere near as much durability to withstand the attack that is required when someone wants to walk towards Vector.

leonidas
not vector.

golem370
Vector can use his powers to fly

riv6672
They both can...

golem370
My point is Vector could close any gap between himself and Magneto.

DarkSaint85
My point is Vector could close any gap between himself and Magneto.

Why can't Magneto, who has reacted to a speedblitzing Northstar, not....move away?

golem370
I am not saying he can't but somebody said Magneto would have a safe distance which might not work since Vector can fly.

DarkSaint85
I am not saying he can't but somebody said Magneto would have a safe distance which might not work since Vector can fly.

But....so can Magneto.

And Magneto's reflexes are fast. If Vector flies towards him.....he can/will fly away...

Not sure what Vector's flight capabilities have to do with anything, as it's cancelled out by Mags being a pretty good flier himself, able to outreact people who attack at the speed of thought (Prof X).

riv6672
No such thing as the speed of thought in the way you're describing.
But you and Golem370 are both right, about the flying. Its the same with mist any two characters with that ability plus ranged attacks.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by riv6672
No such thing as the speed of thought in the way you're describing.
But you and Golem370 are both right, about the flying. Its the same with mist any two characters with that ability plus ranged attacks.

True, I have had to adjust my thinking to this forum.

A better example would be Northstar. And Quicksilver.

riv6672
Haha, gotcha!
Good examples, too...thumb up

HulkIsHulk
Ehm what? This IS Mags at his best, as per the OP.

The feat by Vector which you showed cannot be quantified because we do not know the properties of that dimension. The only thing we can use from that is how it affected Hulk. Based on that, Magneto could protect himself from Vector's powers.

Horrible logic dude. Vector and the U-Foes had got to the dimension because due to their amp Vector repelled away reality and got to the Crossroads. Also, in the same issue where Vector had a hard time getting through Armageddon's door he flayed off Professor Hulk's flesh. So going by your logic of measuring the damage of the attack by how much it hurt Hulk:
Blast that had a hard time breaking through a measly door>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Blast that repelled away the fabric of reality confused embarrasment roll eyes (sarcastic)

Magnon
Originally posted by HulkIsHulk
Horrible logic dude. Vector and the U-Foes had got to the dimension because due to their amp Vector repelled away reality and got to the Crossroads. Also, in the same issue where Vector had a hard time getting through Armageddon's door he flayed off Professor Hulk's flesh. So going by your logic of measuring the damage of the attack by how much it hurt Hulk:
Blast that had a hard time breaking through a measly door>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Blast that repelled away the fabric of reality confused embarrasment roll eyes (sarcastic)
And your logic is certainly on par with your spelling of 'Agamemnon'.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.