Spider-man Webbing Vs Spider sense

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
1. Which is greater, Spider-man's web shooters, a multi purpose offense/defense/travel system tool, or his ability to sense danger?
2. In YO which ability/tool (not counting his other major powers) contributes most to his success in a battle?

Tried this with Superman
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=604513
But never got around to Spidey.

Flyattractor
Yo Mama.

But (as serious as I can get) I would go with the Webbing. It is less susceptible to PIS/CIS goofiery as the Sense.

riv6672
Fair enough. Except for when it used to run out at inopportune times.

basilisk
The webbing is at least consistent. It's either going to stop someone, or slow them down, or they are just going to tear through it. Pretty simple. And it gives Spidey extra mobility in a fight even if he can't use it directly. It does run out though.

On the other hand the spider-sense, even without webbing, combined with his speed, strength, wallcrawling, and agility should make him pretty devastating. And it comes in handy for trap type situations (and just plain accidents) as well as fights. But it's been written so inconsistently over the years I don't know how he trusts it anymore.

So... it in theory it probably should be the sense. But in practice, on average showings, maybe the webbing wins out by a slight margin.

riv6672
Huh. Seems like good reasoning...

Mindship
Spider-sense seems more prone to writer's whim, so incomic I see webbing ftw.

riv6672
When you say that, about spidey sense, is it in the ways its applied? Too many?

relentless1
Spider Sense hands down, precog is a way better tool than webbing no matter how much PIS is involved in writing it

Mindship
Originally posted by riv6672
When you say that, about spidey sense, is it in the ways its applied? Too many? Both webbing and spider-sense are played with, for story purposes, but the latter seems to "get in the way" more of surprise or suspense, and so at times is completely omitted.

riv6672
Okay, i see what you mean, thanks.

bluewaterrider
1. Spider-sense has been, historically, more important than webbing for Spider-Man. There are a lot of cases, where, without it, Spider-Man would have been killed by a villain's opening salvo, not even having the CHANCE to defend with his webbing or other abilities. Spider-Man could not compete against enemies more powerful than himself, as he consistently does, if he lacked the ability to avoid damage which his Spider-sense indirectly grants.

2. Inventiveness and the tendency to regularly take a "time out" to reassess a given situation contributes most to Spider-Man's success in battle. With the earlier versions of him, especially, it is difficult to think of any hero more reliant on the use of environment and imagination.

Flyattractor
If you really want to see the Senses being goofy just watch any of the Spidey Toons. In those it literally comes and goes according to story whim.

cdtm
Webbing strength is kind of all over the place too..

It can stop Luke Cage cold, but can't even slow down Black Tarantula? Rogues stuck in it with no hope of breaking the stuff, Things stopped for a time, and Lord Rand rips out of it like it's not even there? (As much as I love Iron Fist, can he chi amp to cl200+ in raw brute strength?)

h1a8
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
1. Spider-sense has been, historically, more important than webbing for Spider-Man. There are a lot of cases, where, without it, Spider-Man would have been killed by a villain's opening salvo, not even having the CHANCE to defend with his webbing or other abilities. Spider-Man could not compete against enemies more powerful than himself, as he consistently does, if he lacked the ability to avoid damage which his Spider-sense indirectly grants.

2. Inventiveness and the tendency to regularly take a "time out" to reassess a given situation contributes most to Spider-Man's success in battle. With the earlier versions of him, especially, it is difficult to think of any hero more reliant on the use of environment and imagination. great post

riv6672
Yeah, that was really good...

Scoobless
When his webbing runs out he can still jump around from buiding to building and use his environment as makeshift weapons.

When his Spider-Sense has been turned off in the past he gets hit by anyone who doesn't announce their attack and run directly at him.

Also, there's this:

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/Scoobless/SS1.jpg
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/Scoobless/SS2.jpg

Always wonder how others, like Batman, never grapple onto a brittle or rotted part of a building more often....

Dark-Kenshin
When CIS and PIS are off, spider-sense really. However, given that we live in an era where writers like making Spider-man look weak and inept, it's pretty useless. At very least nowhere its full capacity.

cdtm
Well Scoob, he did punk Daredevil pretty badly without his SS. After DD softened him with first by posing as Kingpin, sucker punching him, and getting in a good combo.

Scoobless
Originally posted by cdtm
Well Scoob, he did punk Daredevil pretty badly without his SS. After DD softened him with first by posing as Kingpin, sucker punching him, and getting in a good combo.

Yeah, he's still fast and strong, then he got trained by Shang Chi, and against a single opponent, without a ton of powers, that may be enough 90% of the time.

riv6672
He was stuck to the cieling once spying on folks and the plaster gave way...

JayDaDon
Originally posted by Scoobless
When his webbing runs out he can still jump around from buiding to building and use his environment as makeshift weapons.

When his Spider-Sense has been turned off in the past he gets hit by anyone who doesn't announce their attack and run directly at him.

Also, there's this:

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/Scoobless/SS1.jpg
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/Scoobless/SS2.jpg

Always wonder how others, like Batman, never grapple onto a brittle or rotted part of a building more often....

When I start thinking of little things like this I start wondering, if he sticks to a painted wall isn't he technically just sticking to the paint? Should that be supporting him?

riv6672
Depends on how you believe his sticking works.
M2 Spider-Girl could repel objects she was physically touching. So, at least one train of thought might argue Spidey's using tactile telekinesis.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.