"What If" Scenario -- China & N. Korea

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

|King Joker|
Hypothetically, if North Korea were to attack South Korea, do you think China would stand by their ally and provide military support, or not? What do you think China would do if a N. Korea/S. Korea war broke out?

Spawningpool
They did it before they will do it again

Tzeentch
No, they wouldn't. Supporting North Korea (who is an ally out of principle and nothing more) isn't worth pissing the West off.

Robtard
From Google: "U.S. goods and private services trade with China totaled $579 billion in 2012 (latest data available). Exports totaled $141 billion; Imports totaled $439 billion."

That's five hundred and seventy nine billion reasons why China wouldn't back N. Korea if they attacked S. Korea. The US is just one country with ties to S. Korea that China deals with.

|King Joker|
I agree, but I doubt China would be thrilled after the U.S. & S. Korea conquer the North and are right next to China.

Omega Vision
China will do everything it can to prevent war between the two Koreas, but if it does break out and North Korea is the aggressor (which is ten times more likely to be the case than the reverse), then China will do absolutely nothing to support North Korea's war effort, but it will most likely do everything it can to prevent the collapse of North Korea's central government. China's strategic interest in North Korea has changed since the 1950s. During the Korean War, NK represented a strategic buffer between China and the United States and its allies. Now the United States no longer presents an imminent danger to China, and South Korea even less so. The strategic interest in North Korea is keeping it stable, because if North Korea were to collapse it would mean millions of refugees pouring into China.

If war broke out, I think China's priority would be to seek an immediate cease fire before things could get too far out of hand.

As for the matter of North Korea using nuclear weapons on South Korea, I have no idea what China's reaction would be, but I can't imagine they'd be happy.

|King Joker|
They definitely wouldn't, but if N. Korea nuked S. Korea the U.S. would likely level all of the North Korea with its own nukes, no?

Robtard
Doubt it. The US could level every military base, silo site and key position in NK without nukes.

Using nukes is little more than a show of force for the US now and the US already has the "we'll drop a ****ing nuke, we don't care" card. Only way I see the US retaliating back with nukes is if nuking is the best option from stopping another imminent NK nuke from being launched.

One_Angry_Scot
China has become increasingly annoyed by North Korea's rhetoric in recent times. I don't think they'd intervene on the side of them to be honest.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.