Better safe than sorry in Texas?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/04/police-shooting-at-muhammad-cartoon-contest-in-texas/

The shooting victims were left where they fell, because the car was being treated as a possible VBIED.
I'll admit there's a part of me that has no problem with that.

As per usual, looking for opinions, comments, on that part of the story/the story itself.

AsbestosFlaygon
It seems to be another terrorist act by ISIL/Al-Qaeda.
An act against freedom of speech and expression.

riv6672
Thats how i see it.

vansonbee
Those cops prevented a terrorist attack, props to them. I hope more Muhammad cartoon contest events will happen in the future, its a great way to lure out the Terrorist.

SayWhat
This might be a good way to entice ISIS to come out of the woodwork. Sponsor cartoon lampoon contests of Islam and see what wing nuts surface AND shoot them dead in their tracks.

SayWhat
Muslims need to understand free speech, if folks want to utilize their free speech and downplay any religion including Islam, get over it.

SayWhat
Americans have free speech to denigrate any religion, as long as they allow those to congregate for their beliefs without interference.

SayWhat
Satire is a free speech right, endorsed by the SCOTUS.

Flynt, Hustler vs. Falwell. Any public figure and institution is subject to satire, a constitutional free speech right.

Some Muslims are trying to take away our free speech rights.

No different then any other religion trying to impose rights on the people or lack of them. Gay marriage the latest to beyotch slap religion with SCOTUS soon to tell religion to stop imposing mores on all of society. Catholics, shame on you for passing bans on same sex marriage. If it's not for you, don't do it. Abortion, not for you, don't do it. Don't like guns, don't own one. But don't tell people who want to partake in such things, they can not. It's not religion's business to tell others how to live.

And shame on those who tried to ban same sex marriage with their votes. Truly evil.

riv6672
Alright, then. thumb up

ArtificialGlory
What can I say? Nothing of value was lost.

Omega Vision
ISIS has claimed responsibility, but there's no proof so far they were involved.

vansonbee
http://i61.tinypic.com/vrq4jb.jpg

AsbestosFlaygon
Methinks the promoters who held the drawing contest are partially responsible for the attack.

The event would obviously provoke some Muslim extremists, whether or not they are members of a terrorist group.

It's like making a "Draw The Blackest Thug" contest and expecting no repercussions from the black community.

riv6672
I honestly thought there'd be more opinions along the lines of yours, AsbestosFlaygon.
All i can say to your reasoning is, if your reaction to someone drawing a black thug/white cracker/your god, is to kill the person doing so, and/or anyone nearby, then you have issues.

Mindship
That we have the Constitutional right of free expression is no question. Did we exercise it for best reasons? Debatable. On the one hand, it's understandable to wanna do exactly what someone else is telling you you can't. But then, something like this contest becomes (imo) a deliberately provoking move, not necessarily to draw out the half-baked wanna-bees (a fringe benefit), but it's basically saying, "Oh yeah!? Now wetcha gonna do 'bout it?"

I think it's important to keep in mind that such an action also bothers the vast majority of Muslims who are not violent, creating bad feelings between them and nonMuslims; and to a certain extent, this is exactly what ISIS wants in their ego-driven fantasies of an Islamic world. "See? See? The West does hate Islam! Join us!"

ISIS and its admirers are themselves terrified and desperate. But they're not necessarily stupid (ie, the leaders aren't -- wanna-bees getting ready for a shootout in Texas? Clearly, not all thinking bulbs were screwed in tight).

jaden101
Surely they can hold more of these things except have fake Muhammed drawing competitions. Wait for Islamic extremists to burst in then have a room full of spec ops waiting for them.

dadudemon
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Methinks the promoters who held the drawing contest are partially responsible for the attack.

The event would obviously provoke some Muslim extremists, whether or not they are members of a terrorist group.

It's like making a "Draw The Blackest Thug" contest and expecting no repercussions from the black community.

I honestly don't think the black community would give a shit enough to want to murder people over it. And if they did, they'd be black Muslims, no doubt (haaaaa!...I'm JK).

riv6672
^^^laughing and thumb up

Spawningpool

Do I win yet?

riv6672
Hey, thats pretty good!

Utrigita
Huge respect to the cops that managed to kill them though. All that "Shoot first ask questions later" in this case proved to be the right cause of action.

Esau Cairn

I totally agree.
The event should've focussed on how various deities & various cultures throughout the world, depicting their beliefs & NOT focus on just one specific culture.

You can't justify one country's notion of Freedom Of Speech by using another country's culture to base your argument on.

riv6672
Originally posted by Utrigita
Huge respect to the cops that managed to kill them though. All that "Shoot first ask questions later" in this case proved to be the right cause of action.
A judgement call that paid off.

Utrigita
Originally posted by riv6672
A judgement call that paid off.

thumb up

Spawningpool
Hey, thats pretty good!
Thanks

Esau Cairn
I only skimmed through the article but was there seriously little or no security organised for such a controversial event?

riv6672
Originally posted by Utrigita
thumb up
Given the attitudes of the day, it could have easily come back and bit them...

AsbestosFlaygon
I watched the interview of Pamela Geller (the b**ch who initiated the contest) on Faux News.

This woman sounds like she's borderline retarded.
It seems as if she intentionally wanted to provoke Islamists to attack in the venue. Freedom of speech, my ass.

Spawningpool
I watched the interview of Pamela Geller (the b**ch who initiated the contest) on Faux News.

It seems as if she intentionally wanted to provoke Islamists to attack in the venue. Freedom of speech, my ass.
Let's have a contest where Charles Darwin is beating up Jesus

riv6672

I responded to the below (quoted) point this morning like this on another site...

People have no choice what religion they're raised in, but at a certain point everyone can think for themselves and decide if this god or that belief is something they want to commit to.

...i stand by that.

Omega Vision
I think we should make a distinction between legitimate exercise of free speech and provocation. This contest was clearly just provocation, putting people's lives at risk and insulting Muslims rather than Islamic doctrine.

riv6672
I dont think we're qualified to pass judgement on that.
I know those two shooters werent.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I think we should make a distinction between legitimate exercise of free speech and provocation. This contest was clearly just provocation, putting people's lives at risk and insulting Muslims rather than Islamic doctrine.
Majority of this generation's Muricans probably don't even know the difference.

Hence, it's either this b**ch was intentionally provoking Islamic radicals and/or she really is just a dunce.

riv6672
Haha

Omega Vision
I dont think we're qualified to pass judgement on that.
I know those two shooters werent.
Then who is qualified to pass judgment on anything?

There's clearly no point in this contest except to rile up conservative Muslims/provoke extremists into action. No one is defending Muslims who think killing is an appropriate response to blasphemy, but this was unnecessary and reckless. There's a line between using a cartoon to criticize Islamic doctrine that happen to use Mohammed as a subject and making cartoons with the express intent of mocking Mohammed. While this distinction will go over the heads of extremists and a lot of other Muslims, the organizers of the event should understand the difference and not attempt to paint this as a legitimate exercise of free speech.

riv6672
Agree to disagree.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.