Yamcha vs. Master Roshi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

StiltmanFTW
Spoiler alert.

Heard that Roshi is allowed to come to fight Frieza's army in Revival of F, while Yamcha and Chiaotzu are told to stay... because they're not strong enough. Wtf? Is that true?

SSJGGogeta
Um... If that's true, then Toriyama has even worse memory than he used to. He's ruining this series now.

Roshi was unable to put up a fight against DEMON KING PICCOLO. Unless he's somehow secretly been training in the ROSAT, and none of us knew it, there's NO WAY he should be able to compete with anyone above Taopaipai level. And even IF he somehow used the ROSAT, that would mean that he went from being DKP level, to being at around Ginyu squad level, or even more.

juggerman
Yamcha should stomp Roshi. But I dunno what kind of phuckery Akira is up to with that mess

AuraAngel
Yamcha never beat anyone important.

Inhuman
Originally posted by AuraAngel
Yamcha never beat anyone important.

He beat his meat after Vegeta stole his girl.

SSJGGogeta
Originally posted by Inhuman
He beat his meat after Vegeta stole his girl.

He also became a planet busting baseball player, that could move at near relativistic speed, as well as fly.

And in filler, he beat Recoome.

AuraAngel
I must have missed the part where Yamcha fought anyone that could planet bust.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by SSJGGogeta
And in filler, he beat Recoome.

And Olibu (+ that winged gorilla thing) on another occasion.

Q99
Um... If that's true, then Toriyama has even worse memory than he used to. He's ruining this series now.

Roshi was unable to put up a fight against DEMON KING PICCOLO. Unless he's somehow secretly been training in the ROSAT, and none of us knew it, there's NO WAY he should be able to compete with anyone above Taopaipai level. And even IF he somehow used the ROSAT, that would mean that he went from being DKP level, to being at around Ginyu squad level, or even more.

Even the room shouldn't help. I mean, he's had decades *out* of the room to train. Why no improvement then...?

Dramatic Gecko
Yamcha would be way weaker than he was at Cell Saga till none. He pretty much stopped training and for all we know is now only as strong as Chioutzu.
And Roshi as an immortal Martial Artist probably never stopped training and is probably over Raditz level who would be a 1st Class Frieza Soldier.

AuraAngel
Yamcha had retired from fighting for a long time by this point. Gohan hasn't even been retired as long but his drop in skill is extreme. If Yamcha's drop is anything like that then he is worse than fodder. Dude never had as much talent as Gohan.

Which is a shame. It would have been nice to see Yamcha do stuff. But frankly I'm more glad to see Roshi doing stuff than Yamcha. He's way cooler~

-No offense to our Yamcha.

NotAllThatEvil
yamcha beat goku...

SSJGGogeta
I must have missed the part where Yamcha fought anyone that could planet bust.

A Saibaman was equal to Raditz, and he was stronger than it. Raditz casually tanked moon+ busting attacks from Piccolo, and presumably could have killed him with one blast of his own, if it was a direct hit. Piccolo, even at that point, was already past moon busting tier.

So maybe Raditz wasn't necessarily an earth buster, but he definitely could have moon busted.

And in filler, Yamcha beat Recoome. Who was a planet +++ buster/tanker.

AuraAngel
Was. Gohan was stronger than Cell but got weaker than Vegeta/Goku over time. Not training makes you weak. And Yamcha never trains.

Filler does not exist.

SSJGGogeta
Was. Gohan was stronger than Cell but got weaker than Vegeta/Goku over time. Not training makes you weak. And Yamcha never trains.

Filler does not exist.

When was it stated that Yamcha doesn't train? Never. You're speculating.

And also, even though yes, filler is non-cannon, it was just used to give Yamcha a feat, since he practically didn't have any, after he got killed by a Saiba-bomb.

AuraAngel
http://view.thespectrum.net/series/dragon-ball-volume-18.html?ch=Volume+36+-+LQ&page=130

Yamcha opts not to participate in the tournament because he'll be embaressed. He has pretty clearly retired at this point. Especially compared to Tien, who has been consistently training. There is zero reason to assume Yamcha has been training more than Gohan.

SSJGGogeta
http://view.thespectrum.net/series/dragon-ball-volume-18.html?ch=Volume+36+-+LQ&page=130

Yamcha opts not to participate in the tournament because he'll be embaressed. He has pretty clearly retired at this point. Especially compared to Tien, who has been consistently training. There is zero reason to assume Yamcha has been training more than Gohan.

What is your point here? I was in no way, shape, or form, trying to say that Yamcha could compete with Gohan, in any way other than stunning, rugged, handsomeness.

Yamcha > Raditz >>> Piccolo Jr. > Demon King Piccolo > Master Roshi

That is the point I'm making here. And Yamcha definitely WOULD be embarrassed in the tournament, given that half the competitors were Super Saiyan's, Androids, or Super Namekians, each capable of one-shotting Frieza. That changes nothing.

And btw, while I have no proof that Yamcha was training, you conversely have no proof that he WASN'T training, and burden of proof is on you, who is making the claim. It goes against his character to not train, so he was presumably training. It makes you look stupid to point out that you could possibly argue that he wasn't training, given that it is all speculation at that point anyway. thumb up

Galan007
Also, #20 thought Yamcha was Goku when he originally sensed his power. This implies that Yamcha was roughly as powerful as Goku was when he fought Vegeta on earth--meaning that his suppressed PL may have been ~32,000(which was Goku's max during the Saiyan saga.)

AuraAngel
What is your point here? I was in no way, shape, or form, trying to say that Yamcha could compete with Gohan, in any way other than stunning, rugged, handsomeness.

Yamcha > Raditz >>> Piccolo Jr. > Demon King Piccolo > Master Roshi

That is the point I'm making here. And Yamcha definitely WOULD be embarrassed in the tournament, given that half the competitors were Super Saiyan's, Androids, or Super Namekians, each capable of one-shotting Frieza. That changes nothing.

And btw, while I have no proof that Yamcha was training, you conversely have no proof that he WASN'T training, and burden of proof is on you, who is making the claim. It goes against his character to not train, so he was presumably training. It makes you look stupid to point out that you could possibly argue that he wasn't training, given that it is all speculation at that point anyway. thumb up

You don't have to be. My point is that Gohan hasn't trained and therefore has gotten weaker. Yamcha is very much the same just without the former's potential power to balance out the lack of training.

Pretty sure Piccolo Jr. is much stronger than Yamcha. Cause he continued to get much stronger lol.

So? In Dragonball Goku was almost always stronger than him but that didn't stop Yamcha from trying. And it really doesn't fit with his character. We see Tien making a concentrated effort to continue to train and become strong. Yamcha fights about as much as Ox King in the Buu Saga lol. His casual clothes, his not going to find out about Buu, and him not doing any sort of fighting are pretty clear indicators that he has not been training. It is also consistent with his portrayal in the Cell Saga. Tien and Yamcha are both equally worthless but while Tien continued to try and help, Yamcha seemed to give in to his own feelings of inadequacy and remained pretty passive in the arc. His appearance in the Buu Saga and the way his character behaved in the earlier arc seems to hint that he hung up his wolf fang fists.

Mind you there is a perfectly logical explanation in the manga. Tien can't tell Yamcha what to do. If Yamcha wanted to fight Freeza's armies then he most certainly can(unless Tien goes jerk mode and knocks him out). Meanwhile no one can make Roshi come to the battlefield but he does. Roshi has always been a good judge of potential and maybe he just wanted a good fight. It has been a while for him. No one complains to him like they do to Bulma for instance.

So the most logical deduction is that even if Yamcha is more powerful than Roshi, which is certainly likely, he does not want to fight whereas Roshi clearly wanted to. And given that Roshi asks Gohan if he has been training it is likely that Roshi himself has been(otherwise it would be kinda hypocritical to ask).

Originally posted by Galan007
Also, #20 thought Yamcha was Goku when he originally sensed his power. This implies that Yamcha was roughly as powerful as Goku was when he fought Vegeta on earth--meaning that his suppressed PL may have been ~32,000(which was Goku's max during the Saiyan saga.)

Makes sense. Yamcha had been training for 3 years to avoid death. Certainly not weak.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.