Is Next Gen Disappointing or Not?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nusa105
I don't Own any Next Gen Consoles at the moment but my Mom's Cousin Said to me "Nusa, Current Gen is Better than Next Gen" is it true or not?

Jmanghan
PS4 is the most graphically superior console on the market.

Lack of games had made it disappointing, though.

With PS3 you can get most games that are available on PS4, plus free online pay. No other console, next-gen, or current-gen, allows that.

When Dissidia, Final Fantasy comes out, I expect PS4 to play everything out of the water, though.

Jmanghan
I'll say this much, Xbox One blows everything out of the water with its games.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by Jmanghan
free online pay. No other console, next-gen, or current-gen, allows that.

Nintendo has free online play.

Like what? (Serious question.)

Nusa105
U mean Next Gen is disappointing or not?

BackFire
It sorta was. It's getting into the groove, though. Bloodborne was outstanding, and Witcher 3, MGS5, Arkham Knight, all look outstanding.

Kazenji
Too many re-releases of updated last gen games, One reason i haven't brought one of the new consoles.

Estacado
So far graphics are better but gameplay isnt.

Branlor Swift
It sucks huge dicks. And the worst part of it is is that it basically wards you off buying new games due to all the dlc. Do you want to buy a 70 to 80 dollar game now or do you want to buy it in 5 months with 100 dollars worth of dlc attached for 30 bucks? Because if that's what you want, you better run from spoilers.

I've taken to buying games pretty much released in PS3's infancy to make up for it. I'll have a sizable PS3 library by the time I buy another PS4 game.

Ridley_Prime
Yeah, every game's gotta have a season pass now in addition to possibly more DLC to come after it. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Smasandian
I'm thinking developers were surprised of the difficulty getting games out of the door with this generation.

Overall, it's not what it supposed to be but it will get better. Unlike previous generations, this current gen is all about subtle changes to what games can do. Personally, I don't see any big changes in terms of gameplay mechanics but you will see improvement to current genres. Dead Rising 3 is a good example of that. An open world where there isn't any loading screens and zombies can follow you into buildings. It's not exicting but previous games in the series would of had a loading screen and no zombies following you.

Eventually, the idea that new generation of systems will radically alter how games are developed are starting to dwindle. The industry is still very new compared to other mediums like film and music.

Impediment
GTA V, The Last of Us, and Destiny are brilliantly gorgeous on PS4.

Arkham Knight looks like it will be a 10 out of 10.

Still, lack of original games are a downer for me. There are entirely too many re-releases of games these days and not originals.

Nemesis X

Sure if you want to ignore the Wii U library's existence which so far trumps PS4 and One's current amount of exclusives. This fact would be of course commonly known if Nintendo didn't discourage free publicity.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Sacred 117

Like what? (Serious question.) Master Chief Collection (All Main Halo Games), Dead Rising 3, Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, Killer Instinct, Titanfall.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Sacred 117

Like what? (Serious question.) Didn't know that.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Sure if you want to ignore the Wii U library's existence which so far trumps PS4 and One's current amount of exclusives.

thumb upthumb upthumb upthumb up

Quincy
Yeah I'd say it's disappointing. I haven't played a game that I was really engrossed in and affected by since Last of Us.

Tzeentch
Sure if you want to ignore the Wii U library's existence which so far trumps PS4 and One's current amount of exclusives. This fact would be of course commonly known if Nintendo didn't discourage free publicity. How many good Nintendo-exclusives are there that are third-party? Serious question.

Jmanghan
Sure if you want to ignore the Wii U library's existence which so far trumps PS4 and One's current amount of exclusives. This fact would be of course commonly known if Nintendo didn't discourage free publicity. Yeah, I agree.

Smash > Everything.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Tzeentch
How many good Nintendo-exclusives are there that are third-party? Serious question.

I only know two and by the end of this year, the amount will be four total. Not pretty I know. Wii U's still got good games regardless.

edit - oh wait. There was also that Lego game and if you count the Deus Ex Director's Cut, but I guess that's still not a lot in comparison but at least it's growing albeit slowly.

cdtm
Originally posted by Nusa105
I don't Own any Next Gen Consoles at the moment but my Mom's Cousin Said to me "Nusa, Current Gen is Better than Next Gen" is it true or not?

Last gen was disappointing over the 32 bit era, far as I'm concerned.

Smasandian
Dues Ex is not a third party exclusive.

The Wii U does have good first party titles, always has been but I personally have no interest in them anymore.

Surtur
Next Gen was very disappointing. It is getting better as others have said, games like Bloodborne and Witcher 3 show that. Thing is, I didn't have to wait nearly 2 years before I started to see games that excited me when it came to the Xbox 360 and PS3.

The PS4/Xbox One are the first time when I haven't been excited for a console release. That to me is not a good thing because it feels like going backwards. For so long with every next gen console things just got better and better..and then we reached a point where online play and garbage like that suddenly became more important. Before the 360 and PS3 even came out they already had console exclusives I was really interested in. That same thing didn't happen with this new current release.

BackFire
It's becoming more and more rare for innovation among triple A titles. This was bound to happen as they become more and more expensive to produce, there is less room for risk. It's unfortunate but unavoidable. For innovation we'll have to look more and more at indie games from now on.

Of course there is still the odd triple A game that innovates and takes risks. Alien Isolation is a good example. Making a triple A pure survival horror game with almost no "action" is something that you just wouldn't expect in this day and age.

Reflassshh
And it was a total success, at least quality-wise.

Bardock42
It's disappointing me, so....maybe?

BackFire
Originally posted by Reflassshh
And it was a total success, at least quality-wise.

Yeah, it's great. But Sega sounds like they're disappointed in the sales, despite shipping over 2 million copies. If there's a sequel, expect it to be dumbed down and more action based, unfortunately.

Tzeentch
I don't remember the source, but I recall reading somewhere that Isolation is up there on the list of most expensive games ever made.

Reflassshh
Originally posted by BackFire
Yeah, it's great. But Sega sounds like they're disappointed in the sales, despite shipping over 2 million copies. If there's a sequel, expect it to be dumbed down and more action based, unfortunately. Likely. Pretty much what happened to the first Alien with Aliens. *shields himself*

Ridley_Prime
Yeah, it's great. But Sega sounds like they're disappointed in the sales, despite shipping over 2 million copies. If there's a sequel, expect it to be dumbed down and more action based, unfortunately.
As long as it's not essentially another Colonial Marines, but maybe like a mix of it and Isolation, I could perhaps be fine with said sequel. I dunno.

And yeah, lack of innovation with AAA titles has become painfully obvious now for awhile.

cdtm
It's becoming more and more rare for innovation among triple A titles. This was bound to happen as they become more and more expensive to produce, there is less room for risk. It's unfortunate but unavoidable. For innovation we'll have to look more and more at indie games from now on.

Of course there is still the odd triple A game that innovates and takes risks. Alien Isolation is a good example. Making a triple A pure survival horror game with almost no "action" is something that you just wouldn't expect in this day and age.

Even Indie games are kind of losing it, imo.. Now that there's real money on the table (Minecraft dev went from multi-millionare to billionare overnight), it's turning into the mess that's the app market..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.