Was Sidious going all out in RotJ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ChaosTheory123
Mostly asking about whether anything indicates that, once he got around to ramping up his Force Lightning enough to a point that would execute Luke after all that torture, is it plausible he was going all out by the time Vader threw him down the reactor shaft?

Not being reduced to ashes is already impressive for both parties for Sidious' Lightning being hilariously above Starkiller's Clone's amplified Lightning from FUII (about 40-50 seconds of constant stream vs the 3 or so from Sidious), but there's still room for more depending on any contextual evidence about how much Sidious was actually putting into his shocks. :hmm

Basically, does the novel/script/comics say anything here in more detail than the film?

Zenwolf
Yeah..

From ROTJ Script

From the ROTJ novel

From the ROTJ Jr novel

So...yeah, Sidious ramped up his Force Lighting at the end there to lethality.

FreshestSlice
It just says the Lightning was getting progressively stronger. It obviously wasn't at full strength, however, as Luke was putting up no resistance towards the end and was still alive. It also speaks of Luke trying to use Tutaminis which was rather effect at first, so yeah, it was getting stronger.

Zenwolf
Eh I figured the whole "now...you will die" bit seems to indicate the Lighting was near full strength anyway.

Beniboybling
If we take Yoda's visions to be a canon indications of his powers, then I'd say no:

http://share.gifyoutube.com/v1dVZA.gif
Renders Anakin - who is probably roughly around as powerful as Luke - unconscious instantly. The fact that even at the end, Luke was still conscious, suggests it wasn't full power. Still, pretty powerful to be sure, but certainly not all out.

Zenwolf
Who says in that vision Anakin wasn't just killed there?

Plus ROTJ Sidious grew more powerful and it's quite noted that the Lighting was approaching at all out.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Who says in that vision Anakin wasn't just killed there?

Plus ROTJ Sidious grew more powerful and it's quite noted that the Lighting was approaching at all out. Yoda wouldn't be trying to save him if he were dead.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by |King Joker|
Yoda wouldn't be trying to save him if he were dead.

Why wouldn't he? But regardless, I just re-watched that bit and yeah he was still alive apparently.

Anyway though, Sidious' Lighting was noted as being ramped up in intensity so there is clear indication that Sidious' Lighting in that instance wasn't as powerful as ROTJ Lighting.

Plus it's a vision...that and ROTJ is more powerful than his ROTS self.

|King Joker|
So he's going to risk being defeated by the Dark Lord of the Sith by trying to rescue Anakin's corpse?

Zenwolf
Originally posted by |King Joker|
So he's going to risk being defeated by the Dark Lord of the Sith by trying to rescue Anakin's corpse?

Drop it, I already noted that I re-watched and there's some indication as to him still being alive.

|King Joker|
Just responding to your "why wouldn't he?" lmao

Tzeentch
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
It just says the Lightning was getting progressively stronger. It obviously wasn't at full strength, however, as Luke was putting up no resistance towards the end and was still alive. It also speaks of Luke trying to use Tutaminis which was rather effect at first, so yeah, it was getting stronger. Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Tutaminis I'm glad the EU doesn't exist anymore.

|King Joker|
laughing out loud

Zenwolf
Actually Tzee, even the script notes that Luke was deflecting the Lighting and that he did succeed briefly before being overwhelmed.

So...it's still canon.

Beniboybling
Why wouldn't he? But regardless, I just re-watched that bit and yeah he was still alive apparently.

Anyway though, Sidious' Lighting was noted as being ramped up in intensity so there is clear indication that Sidious' Lighting in that instance wasn't as powerful as ROTJ Lighting.

Plus it's a vision...that and ROTJ is more powerful than his ROTS self. How? I think the fact that he one-shotted Anakin Skywalker is a clear indicating that Sidious' lighting was certainly more powerful in this instance.

Doesn't matter if Sidious got stronger. Fact is in this instance Sidious did better, so clearly this is not Sidious max capacity, because he can do better. A difference in power would only be relevant if Sidious had gotten weaker.

Yes it's a vision, but given that in all other respects the characters are accurately represented, we have no reason to believe the writers would decide to misrepresent his powers.Originally posted by Zenwolf
Actually Tzee, even the script notes that Luke was deflecting the Lighting and that he did succeed briefly before being overwhelmed.

So...it's still canon. Don't think the scripts are canon anymore.

Zenwolf
How does it not matter?

At any rate, I noted that it was intensity ramping up heading towards lethal. Plus Luke also used the Force to briefly deflect some of it, which Anakin didn't do in that vision. That and in that vision, Sidious wasn't toying around like he did with Luke.

So...so then the movies aren't canon anymore then?...Why wouldn't the scripts be? They literally are the movie.

Beniboybling
I'm asking you. The fact that it was described as ramped up in intensity doesn't make it better than a demonstrably inferior feat. Evidently the ROTS feat was ramped up more.

Concerning tutanimis... meh. Dubiously canon. Either way I don't think it would make up for the disparity. Sidious was shocking him for a long time. The script would also seem to suggest that his tutanimis was only initially effective, not when Sidious ramped it up.

Concerning scripts, not everything from the script makes it into the movie.

For example nowhere is Luke seen to be initially successful against deflecting his lightning.

Zenwolf
There are points in the scene where it's off camera, it could very well happen there. So...yeah, it's possible, just because it isn't shown doesn't mean it didn't happen, otherwise there would be no point in writing it in the script at all.

You also have in ESB with Han drawing his blaster faster than a wink of an eye at Vader, yet clearly Ford isn't that fast with his draw on screen, yet the script makes of how fast the character Han Solo is with his draw. What is seen or isn't seen on screen, doesn't mean the script is invalid.

Beniboybling
Well even if it did, the script again suggests it was only initially effective, not when Sidious put more power in.

As for the scripts it says it happens initially, yet we see Luke go down instantly, but I suppose its possible.

Pretty sure the script is using hyperbole concerning Solo though, Ford isn't that fast on the screen, because people can't actually move that fast.

Tzeentch

So...it's still canon. "Deflecting energy" is not referred to as "Tutaminis" in the script.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Tzeentch
I'm glad the EU doesn't exist anymore.
Tutaminis is a pretty fun word to say, tho. It's retarded, but still fun to say. But yeah, hopefully Canon will come up with a better term.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Tzeentch
"Deflecting energy" is not referred to as "Tutaminis" in the script.

Never said it was Tutaminis.

Tzeentch
Never said Luke deflecting lightning wasn't canon.

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Tutaminis is a pretty fun word to say, tho. It's retarded, but still fun to say. But yeah, hopefully Canon will come up with a better term. They should just call it "badassery". thumb up

Beniboybling
I certainly wouldn't complain if they did.

ChaosTheory123
Yeah..

From ROTJ Script

From the ROTJ novel

From the ROTJ Jr novel

So...yeah, Sidious ramped up his Force Lighting at the end there to lethality.

Not definitive enough :hmm

Damn

Already knew he was ramping it up to a level that would be lethal to Luke there just from his words in the film, kind of annoying the script doesn't spell it out plainly.

Sidious, being more powerful than either Vader or Luke at this point anyway, doesn't necessarily need to hit his peak output to kill either and all :hmm

Anyway, back to finishing Spirit Tracks. Thanks for the posts and constructive discussion.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by ChaosTheory123
Anyway, back to finishing Spirit Tracks. thumb up Good game.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Beniboybling
I certainly wouldn't complain if they did.
His/her skill with badassery was second to none; brushing of turbolasers as if they were nonexistent.

SIDIOUS 66
As pointed out, Luke didn't necessarily have to be using force absorption (I call it by it's original term) in order to resist or repel it. Anakin was able to resist prolonged attacks from Dooku before being KO'd, without knowing the technique.

I never thought he was going all out on Luke at any point, considering that when Vader lifted him, his skull was visible by the lightning attack, even underneath all that armor, whereas Luke's wasn't. Plus, if whatever technique Luke was using to deflect the attack was overwhelmed, then his skinned should have melted off or charred under a full attack. If you watch closely to the scene where Luke removes Vader's helmet, the arching part of the helmet is melted down.

ChaosTheory123
Originally posted by Beniboybling
thumb up Good game.

Could do without the Whip minigame though

Not horrendously difficult, but I lack depth perception, so I tend to make one or 2 **** ups that cost me the ****ing heart container by fractions of a second

Still, kind of par for the series and me. Always has one minigame per game I loathe.

That said, can't say there's a single game in the franchise I don't like, flaws and all.

EDIT - Taking a quick break WAS a good idea

Just beat got the damn thing on my first retry in 10 minutes :lmao

red8
Originally posted by SIDIOUS 66
I never thought he was going all out on Luke at any point, considering that when Vader lifted him, his skull was visible by the lightning attack, even underneath all that armor, whereas Luke's wasn't.

thumb up

carthage
He was and his lightning was weak and couldn't fry Luke. He's a failure like Darth Bane

Kosmos Supreme
This is why we can't have nice things ^

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.