Booster Gold vs Iron Man

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Who wins?

Time Immemorial
This has been done like 5 times.

shadowknight
While Booster has the potential to win, IM has the tactics, the brains and the will to win. IM wins at least 7/10

complexbrother
^^^^ what he said

wanglord
Booster Gold 9/10

relentless1
if booster was bloodlust, or took the fight (and himself) seriously he could win for sure...but he won't so i give tony the W here

SamZED
I know little about Booster Gold but have a feeling this is one of those threads where KMC votes for Marvel because Marvel.

zopzop
Originally posted by SamZED
I know little about Booster Gold but have a feeling this is one of those threads where KMC votes for Marvel because Marvel.
thumb up

This is actually a good fight that can go either way. I'd give the majority to IM only because he takes fights way more seriously than BG.

carver9
IM stomps. Booster is an alright character.

StiltmanFTW
BG about IM: HE'S FASTER THAN FLASH!

stick out tongue

riv6672
This.

beatboks
If Pre 52 it's no stomp, But I would say Tony wins. the Extremis Virus should mean he can take over Boosters tech despite it's futuristic nature shouldn't it??

In Booster's last series pre FP he was no longer the joke he was prior but merely pretended to be to effect his role without repercussion. Since he'd taken on a time master role (fixing time changes) playing the fool/buffoon meant he could be publicly known without inspiring anyone or affecting the time line adversely. He actually became quite the determined hero, so much so that he earned the Respect of Batman.

Bat's had seen evidence of how much Micheal suffered to try and change a piece of solidified time by preventing Barbara Gordon from getting shot. He'd repeated the attempt many times but always failed. because that particular part of the time stream could not be changed. When Booster was about to give Up bat's came to him and Booster asked how he could continue. Bruce showed him the photos of him taking punishment from Joker in droves and said that man wouldn't give up, if what you have to do makes you a better hero you do it. Bats also said that while he knew he wasn't Beetle, if Booster ever needed someone to talk to he'd be there. Booster kept going after that pep talk.

So while i say Tony wins the Booster of that series would go down slugging and make Stark work like a dog for it.

riv6672
Well, i made an IM vs B5 thread this morning. Just checked it and BG "wins with staggering ease". Despite the fact that he and BG share the same force field, and in a no prep fight BG brings the better offense...

ODG
Booster Gold and Braniac 5 use the same force field?

Golgo13
Originally posted by beatboks
If Pre 52 it's no stomp, But I would say Tony wins. the Extremis Virus should mean he can take over Boosters tech despite it's futuristic nature shouldn't it??

In Booster's last series pre FP he was no longer the joke he was prior but merely pretended to be to effect his role without repercussion. Since he'd taken on a time master role (fixing time changes) playing the fool/buffoon meant he could be publicly known without inspiring anyone or affecting the time line adversely. He actually became quite the determined hero, so much so that he earned the Respect of Batman.

Bat's had seen evidence of how much Micheal suffered to try and change a piece of solidified time by preventing Barbara Gordon from getting shot. He'd repeated the attempt many times but always failed. because that particular part of the time stream could not be changed. When Booster was about to give Up bat's came to him and Booster asked how he could continue. Bruce showed him the photos of him taking punishment from Joker in droves and said that man wouldn't give up, if what you have to do makes you a better hero you do it. Bats also said that while he knew he wasn't Beetle, if Booster ever needed someone to talk to he'd be there. Booster kept going after that pep talk.

So while i say Tony wins the Booster of that series would go down slugging and make Stark work like a dog for it.

Pretty much. It would be interesting to see how Tony would take down his shields, though.

riv6672
Originally posted by ODG
Booster Gold and Braniac 5 use the same force field?
Typo up there. I meant B5 wins with staggering ease in the other thread. And yeah, BG has B5s FF and Legion flight ring. His suit grants super strength, flight, force bolts, tractor beams...
B5 doesnt bring that to the table with no prep.

ODG
Originally posted by riv6672
Typo up there. I meant B5 wins with staggering ease in the other thread. And yeah, BG has B5s FF and Legion flight ring. His suit grants super strength, flight, force bolts, tractor beams...
B5 doesnt bring that to the table with no prep. How did Booster Gold get Braniac 5's force-field? Braniac 5's from a far more distant future than Booster Gold's era, isn't he?

abhilegend
It was left by Rip Hunter who stole the ring and force field and ring in 25th century so Booster could find it.

riv6672
^^^Yeah.
It was a fun mystery when Booster debuted in 1986.

Anyhow, i think the Booster bias is pretty much not a mystery.

beatboks
^^^Yeah.
It was a fun mystery when Booster debuted in 1986.

Anyhow, i think the Booster bias is pretty much not a mystery.

Actually when Booster Debuted in 86 there was no mystery to the Force field belt and ring being in the space museum for Booster to steel. When Booster saved President Reagan he encountered the LoSh who came back to stop him (believing he was the one changing time not the 1,000,000 organization). When they relized Booster had also come back to prevent it, B5 decided that he would have to leave his FF belt and flight ring in the 20th century so that they would be in the space museum in 2050 for Booster to obtain as it was now part of their history.

http://ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Booster_Gold_Vol._1_6-1986.jpg

Then we have the late retcon of Rip (Booster's son) acquiring them.

The thing is while Booster has B5's tech, he doesn't have B5's brain. Some of the things Booster has done (and I love the character) just don't ring true. The guy was a professional athlete from the 25th century yet when fighting the Clones the army made of Doomsday he was technologically savy enough to be able to rewire his force field through his blast projector bracelets and trap and repel the clone??? I mean REALLY, does that sound feasible??? A quarterback from 2050 has the brains to rewire a device made by the greatest mind of the 30th century- Sure

That is why B5 would win and Booster wouldn't. Still it's no stomp, Tony is going to have to earn this win pretty hard

beatboks
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
BG about IM: HE'S FASTER THAN FLASH!

stick out tongue
The veiled reference to the beating he took from Doomsday in the Death of Superman aside, let's remember that DD could only do that too him after his energy cells had been exhausted and his force field was gone.

Tony MAY be able to accomplish that with Extremis or Thor buster armor but IMO not without leaving his own energy reserves pretty close to if not completely drained.

riv6672
Actually when Booster Debuted in 86 there was no mystery to the Force field belt and ring being in the space museum for Booster to steel. When Booster saved President Reagan he encountered the LoSh who came back to stop him (believing he was the one changing time not the 1,000,000 organization). When they relized Booster had also come back to prevent it, B5 decided that he would have to leave his FF belt and flight ring in the 20th century so that they would be in the space museum in 2050 for Booster to obtain as it was now part of their history.

Then we have the late retcon of Rip (Booster's son) acquiring them.

The thing is while Booster has B5's tech, he doesn't have B5's brain. Some of the things Booster has done (and I love the character) just don't ring true. The guy was a professional athlete from the 25th century yet when fighting the Clones the army made of Doomsday he was technologically savy enough to be able to rewire his force field through his blast projector bracelets and trap and repel the clone??? I mean REALLY, does that sound feasible??? A quarterback from 2050 has the brains to rewire a device made by the greatest mind of the 30th century- Sure

That is why B5 would win and Booster wouldn't. Still it's no stomp, Tony is going to have to earn this win pretty hard

Agree to disagree on the mystery, as what you covered was the reveal.

Agree to disagree on my perception of Booster bias.
Booster and B5 have have matching FFs. Booster has a power suit with more offense than B5 brings to a no prep fight.
B5s being smarter isnt putting him over Booster in this type of fight, any more than Mr. Fantastic would have better odds of beating Spider-man than savage Hulk would, because he's vastly smarter, in a no prep fight.
Yet, put IM against B5, like i did, and all of a sudden IM gets stomped.
Bias.

Edit:
Just to be clear, i dont care much either way about IM winning.
I just find it hella funny how BB and B5 who have the same main weapon, with BB having more to rely on, get perceived.
Had some fun with it.

cdtm
Booster got into the League in the first place by impressing Batman with his intelligence, of all people. (Who was IMPOSSIBLE to please then.)

I quote: *While chewing out Gardner: "It's a good thing our new member has brains to spare."

He's no Brainiac 5, of course, but he can keep up with Ted Kord.

shadowknight
I know little about Booster Gold but have a feeling this is one of those threads where KMC votes for Marvel because Marvel. Not really, most of the time I vote for DC characters. The reason I picked IM is IM finds a way to win, BG finds a way to get by. While BG isn't the jobber MM is, were he written to his potential he could easily be a borderline Top Tier instead of a Mid Mid Tier character.

riv6672
Good call. thumb up

beatboks
Agree to disagree on the mystery, as what you covered was the reveal.

Agree to disagree on my perception of Booster bias.
Booster and B5 have have matching FFs. Booster has a power suit with more offense than B5 brings to a no prep fight.
B5s being smarter isnt putting him over Booster in this type of fight, any more than Mr. Fantastic would have better odds of beating Spider-man than savage Hulk would, because he's vastly smarter, in a no prep fight.
Yet, put IM against B5, like i did, and all of a sudden IM gets stomped.
Bias.

Edit:
Just to be clear, i dont care much either way about IM winning.
I just find it hella funny how BB and B5 who have the same main weapon, with BB having more to rely on, get perceived.
Had some fun with it.

I disagree that Booster brings more to a fight. Yes he has the power suit but Brainy has his belt with weapons too. The thing is IM should be able with Extremis to somehow hack Booster's gear (including Force Field). This would IMO take time. The time ti takes him to do so IMO Brainy would have figured out a way to beat or turn the hack against IM.

It's a close battle in the Booster IM fight as I see it with IM taking the win and a close one (though maybe not as close) in a B5IM fight with B5 taking the win.

It's the fact that B5 has the ability (due to his intellect) to counter the main winning condition that would give IM the win over Booster that makes the difference. I don't see that as bias toward or against either. The lack of prep makes no difference, B5 has been in many impromptu encounters where he has figured out the winning conditions and how to achieve them.

ODG

Then we have the late retcon of Rip (Booster's son) acquiring them. Cool. I very much enjoyed Booster Gold taking on the multiversal Mister Mind and the Rip Hunter parentage reveal. Originally posted by beatboks

That is why B5 would win and Booster wouldn't. Still it's no stomp, Tony is going to have to earn this win pretty hard I recall Booster Gold reminding Blue Beetle that people in his time period were generally much smarter. This was right before Maxwell Lord ended up blowing up Beetle's computer terminal. I mean, 5 centuries would make a lot of difference in general population I.Q.

beatboks
Originally posted by ODG
I recall Booster Gold reminding Blue Beetle that people in his time period were generally much smarter. This was right before Maxwell Lord ended up blowing up Beetle's computer terminal. I mean, 5 centuries would make a lot of difference in general population I.Q.

Actually I do recall that now that you mention it. Still one would think that would make brainy's tech even more beyond Booster

riv6672
Beatbox, B5s main weapon is his FF.
Going on my memory of Legion stories (admittedly out of date), and researching DC info sites, he has almost nothing in the way of offense that doesnt require some prep (again, like Reed. Without prep he's a smart stretchy guy. With, a very dangerous opponent).
Booster simply brings more to a fight than B5. Yet B5 is given a majority over IM. Its simple bias.

beatboks
Beatbox, B5s main weapon is his FF.
Going on my memory of Legion stories (admittedly out of date), and researching DC info sites, he has almost nothing in the way of offense that doesnt require some prep (again, like Reed. Without prep he's a smart stretchy guy. With, a very dangerous opponent).
Booster simply brings more to a fight than B5. Yet B5 is given a majority over IM. Its simple bias.

1. B5wears a type of utility belt. Pre COIE it was slike 60's TV bat's belt and had everything he needed

https://ultraboy8888.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/adv_334_002.png

post Coie it's not cram packed like Batmans (thank god) but it still does have a few weapons.

2. Your making a false assumption that Booster's FF is exactly the same as B5's. It's not.

While the force field that Booster has incorporated into his suit IS that of Brainiac 5 it is not the same by quite a margin. Firstly it doesn't use the same power source as B5's. Remember Booster stole different energy cells from the space museum to power his gear (energy cells of alien origin- for some reason I can't find my copy of that issue for scans ATM). Second Brainy only left a single force field generator behind (to create a FF around Reagan), but his own force field has several. Thirdly Brainy himslef said when he examined the belt (from a time B4 he'd met booster) that it was a "poorly modified version" of his own.

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/Booster%20Gold/b5s%20ff%20belt%20badly%20modified.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Brainy is able to project force fields around others or use it as a force beam. The only one I know of to have gotten out of that was the Time Trapper.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-oCH2B952Ims/VBjhkVkNorI/AAAAAAAARQg/pItHthMI7Ko/s1600/Legion380006.jpg

By Comparison Booster can't use his force field that way. The only time he did required him rewiring it through his blasters during battle.

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/Booster%20Gold/scan0007.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/Booster%20Gold/scan0009.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

There is actually quite a bit of difference between the two in actual power level. Remember B5's FF actually allows one to enter the sun eater (a being that can devour a sun). Yet Doomsday can pound on Boosters enough to completely drain the power cells and make it inoperable.

Suneater ability to inflict damage >>>> Doomsday

riv6672
All good points, i'm grateful for the scans.
I'm still calling bias, as i doubt anyone here is taking the above into account.
I dont have a scan library but i've seen Booster use his FF in many of the ways you've shown B5 doing.
Again, i'm just having fun, but your well thought out Gibbs smack is an unexpected bonus!

cdtm
Darkseid.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.