Is the Darth Plagueis novel Quasi-canon?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Merchant
Ultimate Star Wars mentions that Palpatine was the apprentice of Darth Plagueism so yeah just wondering people's thoughts.

ares834
No.

Zenwolf
Why is it whenever someone or something is mentioned, people think all related material is somehow canon now?....Just because someone is mentioned or something is, doesn't mean anything else about it is canon from previous works. It could be a completely different character or events or thing that happened.

Beniboybling
thumb up

Sinious
Isn't Plagueis already mentioned in ROTS? I though Disney automatically took the movies as canon.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Sinious
Isn't Plagueis already mentioned in ROTS? I though Disney automatically took the movies as canon.

He is mentioned, but it's the fact that Palps was taught by him, doesn't mean that the Plagueis novel is canon or any other works relating.

Sinious
Oh yeah, I must've skipped the word "novel" when I read the title and just saw Is Darth Plagueis Quasi- canon? lol

psmith81992
Beni is the only one who thinks in universe sources affect everything.

Lord Stark
No, but it is likely to be in the future all things considered.

Darth Abonis
Then that makes Depa Billaba's coma; Shatterpoint canon

Col. Valerian
Plagueis as a character does exist, because RotS made it canon. But yeah, the novel is a whole other story.

Lord Stark
Originally posted by Darth Abonis
Then that makes Depa Billaba's coma; Shatterpoint canon

There have been several hints in the existing canon that Shatterpoint is canon.

-Those factors being a passage in the ROTS novel that refers to Depa and Bulq being fallen Jedi.

- Depa being mentioned in the Kanan comic as having similar plots to shatterpoint.

ares834
The novelizations aren't canon.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by ares834
The novelizations aren't canon.

Yeah they are. The parts that expressly contradict the movie aren't.

ares834
Nah. They are only canon when they align with the films. The EU parts are gone. And this makes sense as much of that has been contradicted by the new stuff already.

|King Joker|
I doubt the Council would have Depa take on a Padawan after all the war crimes she committed in Shatterpoint.

And Plagueis being Palpatine's master was also mentioned in Tarkin I believe.

ares834
It was indeed.

Lord Stark
Originally posted by |King Joker|
I doubt the Council would have Depa take on a Padawan after all the war crimes she committed in Shatterpoint.

And Plagueis being Palpatine's master was also mentioned in Tarkin I believe.

Not all the events of Shatterpoint have to be canon for the general gist of the plot to be canon. Also she was under Vastor's DS influence as well. Extenuating circumstances. Did she commit that many war crimes?

Nah. They are only canon when they align with the films. The EU parts are gone. And this makes sense as much of that has been contradicted by the new stuff already.

Do you have a source on this? Because I'm pretty sure it was stated that the novelizations are canon, but I may be wrong.

Anyway I'd take Star Wars: Plagueis similar to how I take the rest of Legends. Accounts of events...legends in universe that may or may not be true.

Darth Luminous
Originally posted by ares834 Nah. They are only canon when they align with the films.

And they align with the films whenever they don't contradict the films.

Originally posted by ares834 The EU parts are gone.

Only if they contradict the films.

Originally posted by Col. Valerian Plagueis as a character does exist, because RotS made it canon.

ROTS itself, taken in isolation, is somewhat vague on the subject, allowing for the possibility that Palpatine is making the whole thing up ( if Rick McCallum's input on the commentary is ignored ). But as previously stated in the thread, Plagueis as Palpatine's master is certified by Tarkin.

ares834
Originally posted by Lord Stark
Do you have a source on this? Because I'm pretty sure it was stated that the novelizations are canon, but I may be wrong.

Yes, Pablo Hidalgo. The guy who is pretty much head of the new story group.

We've also got the official announcement basically saying they are dumping the EU which the novelizations were predominantly considered to be. By contrast the only source claiming they are canon is DelRey's twitter. And not only do they have no say in the canon process, but they released a clarifying tweet which can be just as easily interpreted as them saying the novels aren't canon.

Heck, parts of the novelization have already been contradicted and we are getting new adaptations of the OT. Seems pretty cut and dry that they aren't canon.

Lord Stark
Yes, Pablo Hidalgo. The guy who is pretty much head of the new story group.

We've also got the official announcement basically saying they are dumping the EU which the novelizations were predominantly considered to be. By contrast the only source claiming they are canon is DelRey's twitter. And not only do they have no say in the canon process, but they released a clarifying tweet which can be just as easily interpreted as them saying the novels aren't canon.

Heck, parts of the novelization have already been contradicted and we are getting new adaptations of the OT. Seems pretty cut and dry that they aren't canon.
Do you have a direct quote?
Aside from that, I see where you're coming from, but the ROTS novel is quite different from the other film novelizations. Even before the new canon it was considered borderline G-canon because of the whole "there's nothing in this novel GL himself didn't want in there".

ares834
I've no quote directly stating that the novelizations aren't canon. But then, I also don't have one directly stating Tales of the Jedi is non-canon as well.

Lord Stark
I've no quote directly stating that the novelizations aren't canon. But then, I also don't have one directly stating Tales of the Jedi is non-canon as well.

There are quotes that say the novels are canon though. So this is all based on your interpretation?

ares834
There is also a list that mentioned all the materiel that was canon at the time from an actual credible source and the novelizations weren't listed. So no, it's not just my interpretation.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.