Superman or Cap's shield

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
Who/what can take the most physical damage?

relentless1
superman of course

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by relentless1
superman of course

laughing laughing laughing

Steve's shield, easily. Even pre-FI upgrade.

carver9
no expression Cap shield.

ODG
no expression

cdtm
What's the strongest attack the shields tanked?

I'm pretty sure shield > Supermans durability based on reputation, but I'm not exactly an authority on Caps history. Does it have better then, say, Hulk punches? (Which is impressive, but not beyond high herald range as Surfers tanked various Hulks..)

carver9
Originally posted by cdtm
What's the strongest attack the shields tanked?

I'm pretty sure shield > Supermans durability based on reputation, but I'm not exactly an authority on Caps history. Does it have better then, say, Hulk punches? (Which is impressive, but not beyond high herald range as Surfers tanked various Hulks..)

Tanked punches from Hulk, hammer hits from Thor without a scratch. That should he enough.

StiltmanFTW
Thor's full power lightning.

HT's nova attack.

Wolverine's claws.

Gladiator's series of blitz punches going at light speed...

--
Nobody cared to make the list, because it's far easier to list the stuff that actually damaged it in canon. It's simply indestructible most of the time, sans the few incidents in which writers wanted to shock the readers.

Stoic
We know that Sky Father and above attacks can destroy the shield but it was also upgraded with Uru to be more magical resistant, or simply more resistant in general. Superman has fallen prey to far less than the shield has taken. He even commented on how wonderful it was when he briefly held it during the JLA/Avengers. Crossovers don't really count, but if it was inferior to him it wouldn't have been written to have surprised him. The shield without a doubt would be an asset to Superman if he possessed.

quanchi112
Shield, easily. Not even close.

Badabing
AFAIK, only strong magic or a similar alloy can damage Cap's shield, right? Are there any scans which blunt force, concussive force, energy force, etc. damaged Cap's shield?

I'm saying Cap's shield.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Badabing
AFAIK, only strong magic or a similar alloy can damage Cap's shield, right? Are there any scans which blunt force, concussive force, energy force, etc. damaged Cap's shield?

I'm saying Cap's shield. When you're

with Quan you CAN'T be Wrong.

ODG

I'm saying Cap's shield. No alloy has ever damaged Cap's shield. It's no-sold Wolverine's claws.

cdtm
Originally posted by ODG
No alloy has ever damaged Cap's shield. It's no-sold Wolverine's claws.

There's Deaths Head and a Logan from the Charnel-verse, but I guess anything with time travel in Marvel = radically different power levels or something.

I don't really get Marvel time travel. With DC's Rock of Ages, we don't have to throw out Orions, Batmans, or Darkseids feats because they happen in a future timeline.

ODG
There's Deaths Head and a Logan from the Charnel-verse, but I guess anything with time travel in Marvel = radically different power levels or something.

I don't really get Marvel time travel. With DC's Rock of Ages, we don't have to throw out Orions, Batmans, or Darkseids feats because they happen in a future timeline. I don't know what incidents you are referring to. Can you elaborate?

quanchi112

I don't really get Marvel time travel. With DC's Rock of Ages, we don't have to throw out Orions, Batmans, or Darkseids feats because they happen in a future timeline. Whats so hard to grasp ?

abhilegend
Shield.

Galan007

I'm saying Cap's shield. Thanos /w/ IG shattered it, if you want to count that as 'blunt force'. /shrug

Badabing
Originally posted by quanchi112
When you're

with Quan you CAN'T be Wrong. Mindset is still more Khan than you. biscuitsOriginally posted by ODG
No alloy has ever damaged Cap's shield. It's no-sold Wolverine's claws. Thanks.Originally posted by Galan007
Thanos /w/ IG shattered it, if you want to count that as 'blunt force'. /shrug Forgot about that.

Galan007
Forgot about that. Even though he was in possession of the IG at the time, it looked like Thanos still had to hit the shield hard as f*ck to shatter it:
http://s22.postimg.org/70ak2hehd/Untitled.png

...Which is pretty damn incredible, really.

abhilegend
Serpent also ripped it apart like paper.

quanchi112
Originally posted by abhilegend
Serpent also ripped it apart like paper. Zod also broke Superman's jaw. Doomsday ripped through his skin with a bone shard like paper.

Galan007
Originally posted by abhilegend
Serpent also ripped it apart like paper. Yeah, it looked like he used some rune magics there, imo.

Time Immemorial
Riv uses the VS forum to ask questions about common sense stuff, just horrible logic.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Galan007
Yeah, it looked like he used some rune magics there, imo. That was some serious jobbing.

Branlor Swift
What will hurt Superman will not hurt the shield.

But the fleshyness or whatever you want to call it of Superman can withstand and still be alive against attacks that can destroy the shield. Malleability works in his favor the higher you go.

Superman has give to him, the shield do not. Does that make him more durable? No, but it makes him more practical.

DTM
Superman is NO WHERE NEAR as durable as Caps Shield.

zom1967
I have to go with caps shield.I have never heard of a metal stronger than this.It is stronger than adamantium and uru,and has only been affected maybe 5 times by cosmic powered beings.

krisblaze
I think Superman could survive something that might destroy the shield.

But at the same time I think the shield has a greater degree of "invulnerability".

Might not make much sense, but that's how I see it.

Insane Titan
The punch from Thanos w/IG that the shield took would of killed Superman instantly splattering him everywhere.

krisblaze
The shield didn't take it, it shattered.

StiltmanFTW
While terribly damaged, it survived the first strike. Thanos needed to slap it in the next panel.

Thanos' slap > Thanos' punch. Canon fact.

Insane Titan
Originally posted by krisblaze
The shield didn't take it, it shattered. it didn't fully shatter it. It took a second hit from Thanos to completely destroy it.

StiltmanFTW
thumb up

krisblaze
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
While terribly damaged, it survived the first strike. Thanos needed to slap it in the next panel.

Granted, but if it was just pieces I feel like it was already just falling apart.

http://cdn.teehunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/3506945-thanos-breaks-caps-shield-infinity-gauntlet-4.jpg

Regardless, Superman could certainly survive a hit from Thanos within the context of the Thanos w/IG vs Avengers fight. IIRC several people who are weaker than Superman did.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by krisblaze
IIRC several people who are weaker than Superman did.

Did Thanos amp his fist with the energy (or whatever he's doing), like in the Cap scan?

krisblaze
Did Thanos amp his fist with the energy (or whatever he's doing), like in the Cap scan?
Probably not.

I just feel like we're headed into:

"That hit would kill Superman.

Why?

Because it destroyed Cap's shield."

In a thread dedicated to comparing Superman and Cap's shield stick out tongue

Insane Titan
Did Thanos amp his fist with the energy (or whatever he's doing), like in the Cap scan? yeah he did, iirc no one else took a "amped" punch.

riv6672
Thanks for all the input, appreciate it.

Surtur
To be fair Thor claimed that he did do some very small damage to the shield. However, scientists, etc. couldn't actually find any actual damage. I think Thor was just trying to save face..like "oh well my godly eyes detect a small amount of damage! you can't see it with any kind of technology only gods can, so take my word for it and let us never speak of this incident again".

DarkSaint85

Speed feat from Thanos. He's able to shatter the shield twice in the time it takes to shatter once.

h1a8
Going by averages then shield all day long. Going by highest feat then Superman.

quanchi112
Originally posted by h1a8
Going by averages then shield all day long. Going by highest feat then Superman. What is the highest feat ?

h1a8
What is the highest feat ? Black hole feat.

quanchi112
Originally posted by h1a8
Black hole feat. Seriously ??

laughing out loud

panthergod
Superman has withstood Skyfather level attacks.

quanchi112
Originally posted by panthergod
Superman has withstood Skyfather level attacks. So have other top tiers. Cap is more durable than Superman's flesh which bleeds quite often.

cdtm
Whats so hard to grasp ?

Kind of had a brain fart and thought we were talking about the durability of adamantium for a moment, and went on a tangent. (Likely while a bit drunk.. ^_^wink

But basically, in the old Deaths Head 2 comics, a future Wolverine tries stabbing him with his claws, breaks off the tip of one claw, stares at it in wonder and says "Now there's a novelty.."

Because of how time travel works in marvel, that doesn't count for normal adamantium. Even if Logan called it "pure" adamantium, it still wouldn't count, because in Marvel, nobody really time travels.. They dimension hop/universe hop. Think a What If. ALL time travel are What If's in Marvel.

Take The Reigning vs Rock of Ages. In Reigning, it's argued the Thor of that story never existed the moment he rebooted time, and it was an alternate universe Thor that acted in that story, despite Thor himself remembering everything he did. Therefore, nothing in Reigning from the reigning is canon to 616 Thor, even before he gets his Odin powers..

Meanwhile, DC's Rock of Ages featured a future Darkseid taking over the universe, and a future Orion destroying and recreating it back to before Darkseid took the universe over with a genesis box. Both instances are usually treated as very high end feats of the characters, and not dismissed in the same way stories involving future characters in Marvel often are..

So in summory, Logan chipping his adamantium claw doesn't count, because not 616, as by definition 616 is the "present", with even the slightest deviation considered a different universe. But if a future WW broke her lasso....? It "might" count.. Depends on the circumstances, but it wouldn't be dismissed out of hand because of time travel mechanics, at least..

quanchi112
Kind of had a brain fart and thought we were talking about the durability of adamantium for a moment, and went on a tangent. (Likely while a bit drunk.. ^_^wink

But basically, in the old Deaths Head 2 comics, a future Wolverine tries stabbing him with his claws, breaks off the tip of one claw, stares at it in wonder and says "Now there's a novelty.."

Because of how time travel works in marvel, that doesn't count for normal adamantium. Even if Logan called it "pure" adamantium, it still wouldn't count, because in Marvel, nobody really time travels.. They dimension hop/universe hop. Think a What If. ALL time travel are What If's in Marvel.

Take The Reigning vs Rock of Ages. In Reigning, it's argued the Thor of that story never existed the moment he rebooted time, and it was an alternate universe Thor that acted in that story, despite Thor himself remembering everything he did. Therefore, nothing in Reigning from the reigning is canon to 616 Thor, even before he gets his Odin powers..

Meanwhile, DC's Rock of Ages featured a future Darkseid taking over the universe, and a future Orion destroying and recreating it back to before Darkseid took the universe over with a genesis box. Both instances are usually treated as very high end feats of the characters, and not dismissed in the same way stories involving future characters in Marvel often are..

So in summory, Logan chipping his adamantium claw doesn't count, because not 616, as by definition 616 is the "present", with even the slightest deviation considered a different universe. But if a future WW broke her lasso....? It "might" count.. Depends on the circumstances, but it wouldn't be dismissed out of hand because of time travel mechanics, at least.. If it is canon to the mainstream characters then it counts. If it isn't then it is another character with different experiences. Simple.

Branlor Swift
If it is canon to the mainstream characters then it counts. If it isn't then it is another character with different experiences. Simple. What about Squirrel Girl vs Thanos? What would you classify that as?

quanchi112
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
What about Squirrel Girl vs Thanos? What would you classify that as? That was a clone. That's pretty off topic though.

Branlor Swift
That was a clone. That's pretty off topic though. Based on?

quanchi112
Based on? I am not derailing this topic any further because you had a meltdown earlier. Just get over it.

Branlor Swift
Concession accepted

riv6672
Cap's shield it is, then. thumb up

Silent Master
What about Squirrel Girl vs Thanos? What would you classify that as?

Canon.

cdtm
What is the highest feat ?

Surviving Starbreakers power is up there..

Taking the unleashed power of the source wall is immense, on par with surviving high Skyfather/abstract power.

Galan007
Did Thanos amp his fist with the energy (or whatever he's doing), like in the Cap scan? I went back and checked. Aside from hitting Cap's shield, these are the only other physical blows Thanos delivered during that scene...

1.) Back-handing Thor:
http://s5d2.turboimagehost.com/t1/23166368_Infinity_Gauntlet-136.jpg

2.) Killing Vision with a strike to the chest:
http://s5d2.turboimagehost.com/t1/23166374_Infinity_Gauntlet-141.jpg

3.) Back-handing Cap:
http://s5d2.turboimagehost.com/t1/23166377_Infinity_Gauntlet-157.jpg

...None of which appeared to be 'amped' or 'all-out' strikes.

iceman24567
Scanlan two of those scans are the same

Galan007
They're all different scenes, you idiot. thumb up

ODG
laughing out loud

iceman24567
They're all different scenes, you idiot. thumb up
sad

krisblaze
^He doesn't backhand Thor, he grabs his cloak and throws him!

Galan007
Hmm, upon reevaluation it looks like Thanos may have just thrown Thor by his cape here:
1.) Back-handing Thor:
http://s5d2.turboimagehost.com/t1/23166368_Infinity_Gauntlet-136.jpg

...Which leaves only two instances(aside from the shield-breaker) of him utilizing physical strikes during that scene.

Sniped by kristopher.

iceman24567
Galactus's? is that even proper?

riv6672
Holy crap what a useless tangent...laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.