Youtube sold out

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time Immemorial
Now even after they starting airing commercials last year they are now charging to watch episodes of TV shows.

Weak.

bluewaterrider
Sold out to who exactly?

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Sold out to who exactly?

To themselves, for greed. To google, for money.

Tzeentch
Youtube sold out like 8 years ago. This is just one more foot on the road of capitalist phuckery.

Remember when Youtube had no advertisements at all, required no accounts from middle-men sites (google+, etc) and you could watch entire anime series for free because there was basically no regulation or copy-right concerns?

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Youtube sold out like 8 years ago. This is just one more foot on the road of capitalist phuckery.

Remember when Youtube had no advertisements at all, required no accounts from middle-men sites (google+, etc) and you could watch entire anime series for free because there was basically no regulation or copy-right concerns?

Yea, just sad.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
To themselves, for greed. To google, for money.

confused

You're a bit late if YouTube selling itself to Google just made news for you ...

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/15196982/ns/business-us_business/t/google-buys-youtube-billion/#.VVrHZ7lVhHw

Jmanghan
This is kinda stupid...

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
confused

You're a bit late if YouTube selling itself to Google just made news for you ...

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/15196982/ns/business-us_business/t/google-buys-youtube-billion/#.VVrHZ7lVhHw

Obviously you lack the ability to read, OP. Don't bother addressing me if you can't have a conversation without nitpicking old news.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Jmanghan
This is kinda stupid...

Yea for real man, I wanted to watch an episode of smallville from the past, now you gotta pay for it..

krisblaze
I imagine it won't be long before they introduce some kind of subscription nonsense...

Bardock42
I don't know if I would call it selling out. Expecting one of the biggest public companies in the world to condone bootlegged media on its platform just seems silly. The legal trouble they'd find themselves in alone would be ridiculous. I think charging for some content is also a very reasonable business model for creators. I do think that some of the youtube advertising has gotten obnoxious however, which goes against previous goals that Google claimed to follow.

Astner
Now even after they starting airing commercials last year they are now charging to watch episodes of TV shows.

Weak.
Update your Adblock and stream TV shows elsewhere?

Bentley
Originally posted by Bardock42
I don't know if I would call it selling out. Expecting one of the biggest public companies in the world to condone bootlegged media on its platform just seems silly.

Depends on what you mean by condone, they used to shoot down such videos if anyone claimed they were against copyright law so technically they weren't for bootlegs.

They also allow terrorist propaganda to be visible on their site and they don't even charge you for it! Does that mean they condone it? confused

Surtur
Wait why shouldn't they charge for episodes for tv shows?

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Astner
Update your Adblock and stream TV shows elsewhere?

?

Lord Lucien
? lol

Surtur
I still don't get why they shouldn't charge you to watch these full episodes. Unless there is an issue with the quality? If not, why is it bad? Other people charge you for tv, comcast charges you and the more channels you want the more money you need to pay.

You think they should supply high quality tv episodes for free? Good lord I can't even imagine how many ads we'd have to sit through then. The "skip this add" button would probably need to be done away with, because they couldn't afford to have folk skipping their ads.

Henry_Pym
Lol? If all the shady stuff Youtube does from exploiting children to throttling channels that produce "too much content" you find issue with not being able to pirate Smallville off their site?

Stoic

Weak.

This shouldn't surprise you. Youtube was talking about doing this in 2010 or perhaps even earlier.

Surtur
I guess I can understand being a bit ticked, if only because youtube used to be awesome for finding pirated stuff, and you could watch it without having to download the stuff. I remember you used to be able to find every single episode of Justice League on youtube. Good times...

But now I mostly use it just to watch documentaries. There are a lot of good documentaries from the history channel and others that are on youtube for free. "Vietnam in HD" is good. Still you can find some shows for free still...Beyond Belief Fact or Fiction has a lot of full episodes up. That show is awesome.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Surtur
I guess I can understand being a bit ticked, if only because youtube used to be awesome for finding pirated stuff, and you could watch it without having to download the stuff. I remember you used to be able to find every single episode of Justice League on youtube. Good times...

But now I mostly use it just to watch documentaries. There are a lot of good documentaries from the history channel and others that are on youtube for free. "Vietnam in HD" is good. Still you can find some shows for free still...Beyond Belief Fact or Fiction has a lot of full episodes up. That show is awesome.

Some things in life should be free, youtube makes billions off ads. They don't need to charge more.

SayWhat
It is owned by Google which is about 40% composed of former Microsoft employee's, so yeah no surprise they will find a way to make a buck any way they can. It will get worse as far as know free stuff. Then again most songs are only 99 cents to download off I tunes.

jinXed by JaNx
how did youtbue sell out? doesnt the gomment own the internet?

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
how did youtbue sell out? doesnt the gomment own the internet?

laughing

Surtur
Some things in life should be free, youtube makes billions off ads. They don't need to charge more.

Youtube makes a lot, but what about Smallville? You said you wanted to watch it. I assume when a tv show is put on a website that can charge you to watch it..surely the people who own the properties to the show or whatever are at least earning something, they wouldn't say "oh we will let you have our show for free".

So youtube makes a lot, but then they aren't the only ones profiting.

Time Immemorial
Youtube makes a lot, but what about Smallville? You said you wanted to watch it. I assume when a tv show is put on a website that can charge you to watch it..surely the people who own the properties to the show or whatever are at least earning something, they wouldn't say "oh we will let you have our show for free".

So youtube makes a lot, but then they aren't the only ones profiting.

I disagree. Maybe for a show that was currently going on, but a show that ended 4 years ago on over the air free TV..gimmie a break.

Surtur
I disagree. Maybe for a show that was currently going on, but a show that ended 4 years ago on over the air free TV..gimmie a break.

So do you think they should just give entire seasons of tv shows for free?

Time Immemorial
So do you think they should just give entire seasons of tv shows for free?

Thats what I just said

NewLanceWindu

"Free TV", you know except for the unskippable commercials that helped pay for the program.

So you wouldn't mind 4 commercial breaks of 2-3 minutes at a time on YouTube then? Without the ability to skip? YouTube/Google still has to pay for the servers and electricity to allow you to use YouTube.

Bardock42
youtube makes billions off ads.

Youtube doesn't make money.

NewLanceWindu

Correct.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/viewers-dont-add-up-to-profit-for-youtube-1424897967

Tzeentch
> WSJ

> Sign in or subscribe pls we want money

No. **** you WSJ.

Time Immemorial

Funny how do they pay people then?

Bardock42
Funny how do they pay people then?

They generate revenue, but not enough to contribute to earnings, that means they are losing money. The surplus is payed from Google's earnings, which mainly come from search advertising.

Time Immemorial
Google makes enough. I want free smallville.

Based
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
lol

Bardock42
Google makes enough. I want free smallville.

Why don't you just torrent it, like all the other people that pirate Smallville?

Surtur
Thats what I just said

I'm basically asking if you think that every tv show ever made(that has ended)..should be made available for free. Or did you just mean the more current shows that have ended?

Also at the very least you could find a few episodes of the show if you have comcast. The show airs on TNT and a few episodes are always available on demand.

Time Immemorial
Obama gave free health care to everyone, why can't I watch my tv shows for free? I'm feeling entitled.

NewLanceWindu
Obama gave free health care to everyone, why can't I watch my tv shows for free? I'm feeling entitled.

When the hell did we get free healthcare?! ObamaCare still charges you out the ass, and if you can't afford it but don't qualify for Medicaid you're going to get a yearly fee in your taxes.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
When the hell did we get free healthcare?! ObamaCare still charges you out the ass, and if you can't afford it but don't qualify for Medicaid you're going to get a yearly fee in your taxes.

Sorry not free if you can afford it, free if you can't or don't want to work.

AsbestosFlaygon
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/youtube-is-valued-above-ebay-yahoo-and-starbucks-2015-05-27

Bardock42
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/youtube-is-valued-above-ebay-yahoo-and-starbucks-2015-05-27

Market Cap has nothing to do with earnings though. Market Caps of a division of a company determined by a single analyst have even less to do with anything.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.