The Bible. Myth or Reality?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Greatest I am
The Bible. Myth or Reality?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAEpc1zhcuo

As a Gnostic Christian I see literal reading of the Bible as a gross distortion of what the Bible was written to do. That being to inspire people to seek God and his best laws and rules. Literal readers just become idol worshipers and do not seek God the way Jesus instructed.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Literal reading has created and idol worshiping closed minded people who have settled for an immoral God whom we name as a demiurge as his morals, if literally true, are more satanic than God like.

Literal reading has also created a climate where scholars and experts, historians and archeologist, and all the academically well accepted information they uncover, --- is being ignored or called lies by those who are not academics of the various disciplines.

What is the point of producing good academics if literalists are going to ignore facts because of blind faith?

Remember please that if not a book of myths, then real talking serpents are somehow supposed to still exist and believers have to believe in a lot of supernatural phenomenon without any evidence whatsoever. Literalist Christians, it seems to me, have suspended rational judgement that has created in Christians a new Dark Age of thought and an Inquisitional attitude towards all other thinking. They no longer seek God and are true idol worshipers instead of the God seekers that Jesus wanted to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvBxFXQy7-M

Do you think the Bible to be a book of myths or a book trying to show reality and history?

Regards
DL

Shakyamunison
The bible is a collection of popular writings of the past. Most of the bible is fictional stories based on mythology and popular culture of the time it was written.

The bible is not a history book.

Greatest I am
No argument.

Regards
DL

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Greatest I am
No argument.

Regards
DL

We agree on so much.

Genesis-Soldier
just going to blab something about the council of Nicea.

your welcome

Greatest I am
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
We agree on so much.

We could never marry.

Marriage without fights to make up after is a boring marriage.

Just kidding.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Patient_Leech
The bible is a collection of popular writings of the past. Most of the bible is fictional stories based on mythology and popular culture of the time it was written.

The bible is not a history book.

thumb up

But myth is not a bad thing. Myth is something more powerful than reality.

Greatest I am
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
thumb up

But myth is not a bad thing. Myth is something more powerful than reality.

I agree that it can be but loses most if not all it's value if read literally.

Regards
DL

bluewaterrider

Remember please that if not a book of myths, then real talking serpents are somehow supposed to still exist and believers have to believe in a lot of supernatural phenomenon without any evidence whatsoever.

I don't see how you're arriving at your conclusions.

I believe dolphins once swam along the Yangtze River, a body of fresh water in China, though nearly all species of dolphin we know of today live in salt water.

If some 80 year old Chinese man told me:

"I used to swim these waters as a boy. I once played with a dolphin here"

I wouldn't say "Old Man, you are lying. How could a dolphin live in freshwater? Can you show me such a thing? No? Then get out of my face. I don't see such a thing today. Nobody sees such a thing today. Therefore, you are lying. If ever there were dolphins swimming in this here Yangtze River, there would STILL be dolphins swimming here in this Yangtze River. Go and take your medicine."

Shakyamunison
Talking snakes! laughing

I hear that talking snakes are good friends with unicorns, and cavemen who ride dinosaurs.

Greatest I am
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
I don't see how you're arriving at your conclusions.

I believe dolphins once swam along the Yangtze River, a body of fresh water in China, though nearly all species of dolphin we know of today live in salt water.

If some 80 year old Chinese man told me:

"I used to swim these waters as a boy. I once played with a dolphin here"

I wouldn't say "Old Man, you are lying. How could a dolphin live in freshwater? Can you show me such a thing? No? Then get out of my face. I don't see such a thing today. Nobody sees such a thing today. Therefore, you are lying. If ever there were dolphins swimming in this here Yangtze River, there would STILL be dolphins swimming here in this Yangtze River. Go and take your medicine."

One unproven claim is one thing.

Many unproven claim quite another and to claim we have to do what this unproven claim says we should is quite foolish. Right?

Especially when the same book making the claim says that the claim is unfathomable and unknowable as it tells you all it knows of the unknowable claim.

Do you see the utter stupidity in believing what itself says cannot be known?

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
Talking snakes! laughing

I hear that talking snakes are good friends with unicorns, and cavemen who ride dinosaurs.

Jesus was not a caveman but young earthers have him ridding them. They were all on the arc.

Regards
DL

quanchi112
Myth.

Greatest I am
Originally posted by quanchi112
Myth.

Myths of a moral God or something else?

Regards
DL

quanchi112
Myths of a moral God or something else?

Regards
DL Watch zeitgeist.

Greatest I am
Watch zeitgeist.

Jesus was a mushroom is not the issue.

Could you opine for those without that kind of time?

A short quick one will do.

Regards
DL

quanchi112
Jesus was a mushroom is not the issue.

Could you opine for those without that kind of time?

A short quick one will do.

Regards
DL What ?

Greatest I am
What ?

I guess not.

Regards
DL

Shakyamunison
What ?

laughing

'Greatest I am' has a video about Jesus being a mushroom (hallucinogenic).

bluewaterrider
One unproven claim is one thing.

Many unproven claim quite another and to claim we have to do what this unproven claim says we should is quite foolish. Right?

Especially when the same book making the claim says that the claim is unfathomable and unknowable as it tells you all it knows of the unknowable claim.

Do you see the utter stupidity in believing what itself says cannot be known?

Regards
DL

No, because I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to. Give a trace-able quote or something, please.

In the meantime, regarding that River Dolphin, please note the following:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/12/061214-dolphin-extinct_2.html

While on that page, note also please that clicking on the photo now gives an error message.

Within time, I imagine the page itself will give a similar error ...

Greatest I am
No, because I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to. Give a trace-able quote or something, please.

In the meantime, regarding that River Dolphin, please note the following:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/12/061214-dolphin-extinct_2.html

While on that page, note also please that clicking on the photo now gives an error message.

Within time, I imagine the page itself will give a similar error ...

If you have not heard that God is unknowable, unfathomable and works in mysterious ways then we have nothing to discuss.

https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqItZ_2VV9lUAc7wWFQx. ;_ylu=X3oDMTByZWc0dGJtBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQD
BGdwb3MDMQ--?p=rowan+atkinson+god+is+a+mystery&vid=aa0e0c0a0215af45747f1becedff4c7f&l=3%3A28&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DWN.a%252f5BEvZFTXhxjXgW8LDwmg%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGwkgGPvClF4&***=Rowan+Atkinson+-+God%26%2339%3Bs+Mysterious+Ways&c=0&sigr=11bt5155g&sigt=11a8ril2v&sigi=121csm55r&age=1318612113&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&fr=mcafee&tt=b

Regards
DL

Jmanghan
Lets not do this here, or anywhere.

...Ever.

bluewaterrider
If you have not heard that God is unknowable, unfathomable and works in mysterious ways then we have nothing to discuss.

Regards
DL

On the contrary. We have a great deal to discuss. Mainly because what you're talking about is something you did NOT get from the Bible, rather you found something that seemed reasonably close and took the counterfeit as your guide.

Which is a far more widespread practice than most people realize.

Only a small amount of research is needed to discover that.

Here, one of the first hits you get from Google if you type in "works in mysterious ways" as a search item:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This particular phrase is not found anywhere in the Bible, although it is often misquoted as being a Bible verse. There are several ideas about where this saying grew from, one being a hymn written by William Cowper in the 19th century that says, "God moves in a mysterious ways; His wonders to perform; He plans His footsteps in the sea, and rides upon the storm." There are several verses that may seem to allude to this idea as well, including Romans 11:33: "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!" (KJV)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.deseretnews.com/top/802/2/The-Lord-works-in-mysterious-ways-9-misquoted-Bible-phrases.html

Shakyamunison
Counterfeit? As if the bible was some how original.

Greatest I am
On the contrary. We have a great deal to discuss. Mainly because what you're talking about is something you did NOT get from the Bible, rather you found something that seemed reasonably close and took the counterfeit as your guide.

Which is a far more widespread practice than most people realize.

Only a small amount of research is needed to discover that.

Here, one of the first hits you get from Google if you type in "works in mysterious ways" as a search item:

This particular phrase is not found anywhere in the Bible, although it is often misquoted as being a Bible verse. There are several ideas about where this saying grew from, one being a hymn written by William Cowper in the 19th century that says, "God moves in a mysterious ways; His wonders to perform; He plans His footsteps in the sea, and rides upon the storm." There are several verses that may seem to allude to this idea as well, including Romans 11:33: "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!" (KJV)

http://www.deseretnews.com/top/802/2/The-Lord-works-in-mysterious-ways-9-misquoted-Bible-phrases.html

So give us one item that you know as a fact is a characteristic or attribute of God and we can go from there.

Regards
DL

Shakyamunison
God is unknowable. But somehow there are so many people who know all about God. I think they know nothing.

Greatest I am
God is unknowable. But somehow there are so many people who know all about God. I think they know nothing.

What they have is what I call speculative nonsense.

Regards
DL

quanchi112
I guess not.

Regards
DL You seem pretty weird, guy.

Shakyamunison
You seem pretty weird, guy.

Personal attacks? You don't have a point? I think that's weird of you.

Greatest I am
You seem pretty weird, guy.

Yes, it is weird to see a man with morals trying to teach them to immoral Christians whose morals have been corrupted by their religions.

Regards
DL

Surtur
Well we better all HOPE it is not reality. Can you imagine how horrible the reality we live in would be if it was? I can't imagine anything worse and I can imagine a whole lot of messed up stuff.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Surtur
Well we better all HOPE it is not reality. Can you imagine how horrible the reality we live in would be if it was? I can't imagine anything worse and I can imagine a whole lot of messed up stuff.

Hope is not required. Christian mythology is not to be taken literally. Because in a literal since, it might as well be unicorns dancing in the spring time.

Robtard
It's not dancing, but it seems like it might be spring time.

http://cdn3-www.webecoist.momtastic.com/assets/uploads/2010/09/unicorns_3x.jpg

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Robtard
It's not dancing, but it seems like it might be spring time.

http://cdn3-www.webecoist.momtastic.com/assets/uploads/2010/09/unicorns_3x.jpg

That is not a unicorn!

Surtur
Hope is not required. Christian mythology is not to be taken literally. Because in a literal since, it might as well be unicorns dancing in the spring time.

Yes, but even today we have grown adults who do take it as 100% true. I've mentioned this in other threads, but we've had certain senators, etc. in the government admit they are creationists. That means they think people and dinosaurs co existing was a thing. They believe the Earth is only around 6,000 years old despite there being things even in the US that have been found to date back at least 8,000 years.

I've never actually asked a Creationist what they believe truly killed the dinosaurs then. I'd be curious to know, since it obviously wasn't a meteor then if the human race survived it.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Surtur
Yes, but even today we have grown adults who do take it as 100% true. I've mentioned this in other threads, but we've had certain senators, etc. in the government admit they are creationists. That means they think people and dinosaurs co existing was a thing. They believe the Earth is only around 6,000 years old despite there being things even in the US that have been found to date back at least 8,000 years.

I've never actually asked a Creationist what they believe truly killed the dinosaurs then. I'd be curious to know, since it obviously wasn't a meteor then if the human race survived it.

There are stupid people all over the world.

Robtard

Shakyamunison

Greatest I am
Unicorns are real. I swear it.

Send your check or money order to ---------

Regards
DL

Shakyamunison
Unicorns are real. I swear it.

Send your check or money order to ---------

Regards
DL

laughing out loud ...and they dance only in the spring time.

Greatest I am
laughing out loud ...and they dance only in the spring time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs

Regards
DL

Shakyamunison
^ How disgusting! stick out tongue

garry420
Bible i don't think is a reality, coz just few days ago i read somewhere that jesus was happily married and had two kids..

Greatest I am
Originally posted by garry420
Bible i don't think is a reality, coz just few days ago i read somewhere that jesus was happily married and had two kids..

More information of that genre has been surfacing of late.

It adds to those who believe he was only a Rabbi or a man or just an archetypal good man that sort of went viral.

Regards
DL

Shakyamunison
More information of that genre has been surfacing of late.

It adds to those who believe he was only a Rabbi or a man or just an archetypal good man that sort of went viral.

Regards
DL

I figure that Jesus was either married, or he was gay.

Greatest I am
I figure that Jesus was either married, or he was gay.

More evidence for his being a husband than being gay but we cannot know this far up the time line.

Regards
DL

Shakyamunison
More evidence for his being a husband than being gay but we cannot know this far up the time line.

Regards
DL

What?! He hung out with 12 dudes and only one girl, and the guys were jealous of the girl. stick out tongue

dyajeep
Talking snakes! laughing

so because the Bible mentioned "unicorn", the Bible is automatically a myth?

oh my goodness!

wow.

can we please research first where the word came from or how it was used?

Hebrew word is rĕ'em (H7214) and the definition is:

probably the great aurochs or wild bulls which are now extinct.

you can look it up yourselves, google it... newer versions of the Bible even replaced it with wild ox, bull and buffalo...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.