Useless Education but funny

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time Immemorial
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t31.0-8/1781281_617162608348833_1568159362_o.jpg

|King Joker|
thumb up

krisblaze
That's bullshit, surely?

We learn all of that in school....

Ushgarak
Yeah it's more a list of what you don't learn if either the school was no good or the student did not pay attention whilst there- and more likely the latter.

If the complaint was that schools don't teach people skills like driving a car- a directly relevant practical like skill- as opposed to learning maths, then I could see the basis of the argument. I'd still rather we tried to educate people broadly though.

krisblaze
Well, in all fairness they don't teach us how to buy a house or a car, which seems kind of pointless anyway.

Ushgarak
Well, indeed- it's not as if buying a car is a specific subject to learn. By teaching basic literacy and numeracy, it's kinda covered.

Edit above- if the complaint was about practical skills, I'd at least understand it.

Genesis-Soldier
maybe in the american education plan, i am an aussie yr 12 student and my last math assignment was in relation to finding a house, finding a job and working out taxes, insurances, bonds, homeloans, getting a second house and managing financial issues like bills, inflation and diffrent jobs

Bardock42
I can see an argument for learning some more practical skills as well. But I don't understand why maths is always the target of scorn though, surely people must realize that mathematics is the basis of basically all sciences, and that we'd be off pretty shit if there weren't any people pursuing those careers in the future.

-Pr-
Originally posted by krisblaze
That's bullshit, surely?

We learn all of that in school....

I finished school in 2000, but no, none of that was on the curriculum.

Omega Vision
In my highschool there was a required Life Management Skills class that included most if not all of these things. But no one really took it seriously. That's the deciding factor in all education--whether you as a student make an effort to learn or not.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Omega Vision
In my highschool there was a required Life Management Skills class that included most if not all of these things. But no one really took it seriously. That's the deciding factor in all education--whether you as a student make an effort to learn or not.

That's what shitty teachers would have us believe...

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Bardock42
That's what shitty teachers would have us believe...
Speaking as a non-shitty teacher, I have to say it's absolutely true, with the caveat that a shitty teacher can ruin everything. That said, the best teacher can't make everyone learn if some of the students just don't give a damn. It's a two-way street, and all pieces (teacher, student, adminstration) must be working. Looking at only one piece of the mechanism, be it teacher, student, or administration, is overly-reductive and ignores the complexity of the process.

I just had a student yesterday from my last class who ended up with a grade in the 40s appealing for her grade. I basically flat out told her that she failed the class because she didn't take it seriously. I had a lot of students who did take it seriously and received excellent grades. In fact, I'm a pretty generous grader, so if you fail my class it means you probably weren't even in the classroom most of the time.

krisblaze
Originally posted by -Pr-
I finished school in 2000, but no, none of that was on the curriculum.

Surely "What taxes are for" was on the curriculum.

Anyways, I'll do the list and look at what we did and did not cover:

How to do taxes - This happens more or less automatically, but we covered it in High School Economy

What are taxes for - Grade school social studies

How to vote - Did not cover

How to write resume/cover letter - High School Norwegian class

Anything to do with Banking - Not sure what he's referring to, but savings, budgeting and shit? Covered in HS economy and grade school math

College loans - Covered when we're taught how to apply for colleges, etc

How to buy a house or car - lol no

One_Angry_Scot
I left Senior School (High School) little less than a year ago and we weren't taught all of it.

We were taught the first 5 but not the rest. The other stuff is easily figured out though.

dadudemon
I think how to buy a house or a car is covered in college as a freshman or sophomore: Personal Finance.

Why is a 16 year old buying cars and houses, anyway?

But, yes, that whole list was not covered when I got an education. We covered the hard sciences, maths, literature, bla bla bla.

krisblaze
The list is just some arbitrary stuff some kid is complaining about though.

There's no way you can get through elementary school without knowing wtf taxes are for.

Time Immemorial
Lol the thread was supposed to be funny yet you try and disprove it, then backpedal on what you originally said, and take it serious then get called out and look just as childish as the kid who prolly wrote it.

krisblaze
^What the hell are you talking about?

I'm just amazed that you don't learn basic stuff in murricahn schools

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Yeah it's more a list of what you don't learn if either the school was no good or the student did not pay attention whilst there- and more likely the latter.
Depending on how you define "good", I would say it's pretty common for none of the things listed up there to be taught in the core curriculum sans "what are taxes", based on my own experience.

My high school was the best in the district, but I didn't hear anything from teachers about how to do the things listed in the OP until, ironically, I was placed in retard math in my senior year (I kept flunking algebra). It was called "applied mathematics" or some such, and the teacher taught us how to do taxes, how interest rates worked, what different types of loans worked- basically a lot about how money works. Definitely a hell of a lot more rerelevent and useful than algebra in hindsight.

It's kind of a complicated issue because there are multiple factors. College prep is one; we're obsessed with college here in the states and over the past 20 years there's been a shift in philosophy where a lot of schools are prioritizing subject matter that's more likely to be encountered in college (like algebra).

The second problem is standardised testing. As teachers live and die by the scores students get on standardized tests, they're incentivized to focus on material that's relevent to those tests... like algebra.

God, I hate auto-correct.

-Pr-
Originally posted by krisblaze
Surely "What taxes are for" was on the curriculum.

Anyways, I'll do the list and look at what we did and did not cover:

How to do taxes - This happens more or less automatically, but we covered it in High School Economy

What are taxes for - Grade school social studies

How to vote - Did not cover

How to write resume/cover letter - High School Norwegian class

Anything to do with Banking - Not sure what he's referring to, but savings, budgeting and shit? Covered in HS economy and grade school math

College loans - Covered when we're taught how to apply for colleges, etc

How to buy a house or car - lol no

What taxes are for would have been covered in business studies, an optional class for the leaving cert (our final exam). The other stuff, not so much.

krisblaze
Originally posted by -Pr-
What taxes are for would have been covered in business studies, an optional class for the leaving cert (our final exam). The other stuff, not so much.
That's a shame.

A lot of stuff on the list seems pointless, but the resume writing help was invaluable!

Mindset
I still don't know how to do my taxes.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Mindset
I still don't know how to do my taxes.

Just do like Sharpton, he don't do em either.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/19/nyregion/questions-about-al-sharptons-finances-accompany-his-rise-in-influence.html

Mindset
I'm not reading that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.