M16/M4 Carbine Replacement

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/the-usas-m4-carbine-controversy-03289/

I'm especially interested to know from any veterans who've actually used the M16 or M4 in a combat situation what their evaluation of the rifle was.

It seems like since 2000 every five years I hear about "the next rifle" and then nothing happens. I realize that the M16 family is at its core a solid set of weapons, but what's the point of all these expensive competitions and research initiatives if we're not going to use any of it and just keep the old weapon?

Mindset
The point is to line fat cats pockets.

Amirite, guys?

Henry_Pym
A lot of it is spent on small stuff like the rail system or better sights.

The next rifle will probably just be that 6.8 bolt conversion kit, it gives the rifle more stopping power.
///
I used an m16 and it was perfectly fine if a bit clunky

riv6672
I've used the A1, A2, and M4. All in combat.
M4 is the better weapon.
Overall lighter and more maneuverable, able to support some snazzy attachments, and no harder to maintain than the others.

The point of all the other options is money changing hands, and elite units getting to play with the new toys around the world.

Omega Vision
You didn't have the problems with it that other soldiers have had?

I've heard it tends to jam a lot, and needs to be cleaned all the time. Again, second hand experience on my part, I'm interested to know what your experience was.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Omega Vision
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/the-usas-m4-carbine-controversy-03289/

I'm especially interested to know from any veterans who've actually used the M16 or M4 in a combat situation what their evaluation of the rifle was.

It seems like since 2000 every five years I hear about "the next rifle" and then nothing happens. I realize that the M16 family is at its core a solid set of weapons, but what's the point of all these expensive competitions and research initiatives if we're not going to use any of it and just keep the old weapon?

They been talking about changing this weapon for years and they never do. They should stick to the M4.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
They been talking about changing this weapon for years and they never do. They should stick to the M4.
How long do you see it being the main weapon of the US military? 10 more years? 20? 30?

Also have you ever used an HK416?

Tzeentch
OV, are you planning a mass murder-suicide?

Omega Vision
I'd be asking about mustard gas if that were the case.

Time Immemorial
How long do you see it being the main weapon of the US military? 10 more years? 20? 30?

Also have you ever used an HK416?

The M16/M4 has been so reliable, I could see it lasting forever, they keep modifying small things, adding in gas piston is huge.

Never used the HK, its basically same rifle.

riv6672

I've heard it tends to jam a lot, and needs to be cleaned all the time. Again, second hand experience on my part, I'm interested to know what your experience was.
No, no problems for me, really, but it may be because i did clean my weapon all the time.
I got real OCD when i deployed. I'd even empty and reload my combat load, making sure the springs in my magazines didnt warp from being pushed down continuously, wipe the rounds, things like that.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by riv6672
I've used the A1, A2, and M4. All in combat.

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Lol you weren't in any war and didn't see any combat.

What a load of shit.

jaden101

Stop getting your information from The Zombie Survival Guide.

riv6672
I liked that book.
Its why i plan to go north when the zombies rise. The guide says they slow down/outright stop in cold weather.

Omega Vision
The most unrealistic part of the Zombie Survival Guide (aside from the whole premise) is that the solanum virus somehow obviates the need for breathing, eating, and sleeping and nearly completely slows down the decay process.

Genesis-Soldier
depends on the zombie apocolypse, is it supernatural, virus or what?

resident evil mutation strain will leave us screwed over.

anyway what about stanndard army issue shotguns?
i have read some stuff here and there and was wondering if any veterans or fellows who have served could help shed some light on your standard issues

Omega Vision
So as not to have to make a new thread just for this, I'll just drop it here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Czo%C5%82g_lekki_PL-01_%2802%29.jpg

Pretty sweet. That's Poland's new stealth tank design.

Robtard
The cannon seems to lack vertical movement?

riv6672
Huh. Yeah it does...huh

Omega Vision
It can, it just looks that way because of how its designed to be so streamlined.

Omega Vision
Video of it in motion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py1P2vVfnl8

riv6672
Not loading.
Guess i waited too long to check in on this thread.

Omega Vision
Still works for me. Must be your computer.

Ionceknewu
Chimps looking for ways to kill each other for the Corporations.

riv6672
Still works for me. Must be your computer.
Must be!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.