Turbans in the military

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Spawningpool
http://tribune.com.pk/story/891879/new-us-military-guidelines-pave-way-for-turbans-and-beards/
Some say turbans shouldn't?

Robtard
If the face/head hair or article of clothing do not directly interfere with military equipment worn or used, why not.

Some people are going to flip over this though.

Lestov16
Only the retarded jingoists will flip out, so I'm fully expecting Star, TI, and Asbestos be in rage mode about this. Probably blame it on Obama trying to enforce his secret Muslim agenda.

Branlor Swift
Not that I have an issue with this, but why is it important? It's a uniform that hides all religious values, I don't see why it's important to modify it to show what God you favor. But I digress.

It's obviously a ploy by that black muslim Obama to try and get more muslims in the army until he phases out whites. Next thing you know it'll be an army of muslims marching towards your cities raping your men and killing your women, but it won't be an invasion, no. They'll call it martial law and Obama will be behind it all. Wake up people!

FinalAnswer
Why are beards banned again?

Omega Vision
The British military has never had a problem with Sikh soldiers with beards and turbans. In fact they've been some of the best soldiers the UK has ever had.

Surtur
So then normal soldiers can grow beards and other facial hair now, right? I have no problem with this as long as all soldiers can do it instead of only the people who do it for religious purposes.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Surtur
So then normal soldiers can grow beards and other facial hair now, right? I have no problem with this as long as all soldiers can do it instead of only the people who do it for religious purposes.

No.

See: Seperation of Church and state only applies when its Christian faith..

Since its Islam, the Constitution can be thrown out because liberals are sympathetic to Islam.

Normal soldiers will not be able to grow beards.

This is what they call "division in the ranks."

All the liberal cheerleaders here are all for this though, because its part of their agenda.

Surtur
Okay so that is quite stupid to me. So you essentially get special privileges because you belong to a certain religion. I don't even see how that is fair. If I was a soldier I'd be pissed off. Even if I didn't want a beard it is about the principle of it, why can they do something I can't just because we don't worship the same thing?

Time Immemorial
Okay so that is quite stupid to me. So you essentially get special privileges because you belong to a certain religion.

Of coarse, but then again this has been happening for a long time now, just very slowly, now its happening very quickly. Its very obvious to see rules and laws such as separation of church and state don't apply here.

Im sure if I went and joined another counties military they would allow me to change their uniform to something esoterically acceptable.

Lestov16
Soldiers can't grow beards? When did this become a thing?

I have a picture from a newspaper article with 3 Green Berets in Afghanistan, all of whom have beards.

Time Immemorial
Okay so that is quite stupid to me. So you essentially get special privileges because you belong to a certain religion. I don't even see how that is fair. If I was a soldier I'd be pissed off. Even if I didn't want a beard it is about the principle of it, why can they do something I can't just because we don't worship the same thing?

I agree.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Lestov16

Since forever..

Surtur
I don't know what the army is thinking, either give the ability to grow facial hair to everybody or nobody. You don't pick and choose. You sure as hell don't pick and choose using religion as a criteria.

Originally posted by Robtard
If the face/head hair or article of clothing do not directly interfere with military equipment worn or used, why not.

Some people are going to flip over this though.

Just curious, did you type this knowing that you can only grow a beard if you belong to a specific religion?

Time Immemorial

I have a picture from a newspaper article with 3 Green Berets in Afghanistan, all of whom have beards.

I figured you would go this route. Again do you research on why they have beards. Its to blend in when they are operating covertly undercover amoung the populace while in country. Its like you didn't see Hurt Locker or Black Hawk Down.

Common soldiers outside of spec ops have never been allowed to grow beards.

Robtard

Special Forces are an exception.

Lestov16
You didn't tell Star to do his research regarding his BS WWII casualty numbers. Don't be a hypocrite here.

Anyways, do Christian soldiers get to wear crosses?

Robtard
I don't know what the army is thinking, either give the ability to grow facial hair to everybody or nobody. You don't pick and choose. You sure as hell don't pick and choose using religion as a criteria.

Just curious, did you type this knowing that you can only grow a beard if you belong to a specific religion?

Probably not the first religious based concession.

I did and my comment was in the general sense. I have no problem with Atheist and Christian service personal sporting beards and wearing turbans, if it doesn't interfere with their work.

Time Immemorial
You didn't tell Star to do his research regarding his BS WWII casualty numbers. Don't be a hypocrite here.

Anyways, do Christian soldiers get to wear crosses?

Under their shirts around there dog tags, what does wearing a cross have to do with a beard? Lmao. Keep twisting and turning and looking for a way out of this.

Surtur
Probably not the first religious based concession.

I did and my comment was in the general sense. I have no problem with Atheist and Christian service personal sporting beards and wearing turbans, if it doesn't interfere with their work.

But why should a concession be made in this case? Especially when there might be non muslims who want to grow a beard or facial hair, but they can't.

Why is having a beard that important to these people? Plus, if they want to join the army they should be willing to follow the rules everyone else follows. They aren't special, but apparently they ARE special.

Time Immemorial
But why should a concession be made in this case? Especially when there might be non muslims who want to grow a beard or facial hair, but they can't.

Why is having a beard that important to these people? Plus, if they want to join the army they should be willing to follow the rules everyone else follows. They aren't special, but apparently they ARE special.

When I was in, there was a strict policy of if you were from another country and spoke another language, you were not allowed to speak that language while on duty. You are pretty sharp to know why that was the case, I am sure.

Now it seems its a shit show and people can do whatever they want now.

Lestov16
IMO, if Muslims are allowed to grow beards, all soldiers should be allowed to. Granting special privilege to Muslims, especially in the military and at this time where the main combatants of the military claim to be Muslims, not only seems to be begging to incite further resentment between Islam and America, but also allows physical markers for Muslims in the military to be targeted for discrimination. Well intentioned, but ultimately stupid.

Surtur
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
When I was in, there was a strict policy of if you were from another country and spoke another language, you were not allowed to speak that language while on duty. You are pretty sharp to know why that was the case, I am sure.

Now it seems its a shit show and people can do whatever they want now.

Since you were in, do you think this move will piss off the non-muslim soldiers who can't grow facial hair?

Surtur
IMO, if Muslims are allowed to grow beards, all soldiers should be allowed to. Granting special privilege to Muslims, especially in the military and at this time where the main combatants of the military claim to be Muslims, not only seems to be begging to incite further resentment between Islam and America, but also allows physical markers for Muslims in the military to be targeted for discrimination. Well intentioned, but ultimately stupid.

See this is what our country does. We go overboard. We've done it before. 9/11 happens, go completely batshit with security. Now we currently have all this religious sensitivity, so the military does this.

Also the point of making them targets also makes them look stupid. These people will absolutely be singled out by enemy "muslims" who will see them being in the US army as a huge betrayal. Even beyond that, enemies tend to target people that stand out. I don't see this as a good sign. It is one thing to concede to something benign, but this can legitimately increase their chances of being killed.

Also I have to wonder WHY facial hair was banned in the first place? If it doesn't hinder performance, why? If this is some old timey rule from another era when they wanted everyone to look "proper" then just toss it out all together.

Time Immemorial
Since you were in, do you think this move will piss off the non-muslim soldiers who can't grow facial hair?

No way.

Time Immemorial

Very well said.

riv6672
Originally posted by Spawningpool
http://tribune.com.pk/story/891879/new-us-military-guidelines-pave-way-for-turbans-and-beards/
Some say turbans shouldn't?
As long as they can get a seal on a pro mask, i see no issue.
I've seen females with hair styles/weaves that wont let them do that, and they get away with it.

Robtard

Because it's a religious one and if other religious concessions have been made why not this? Christians are allowed to wear crosses, Jews are allowed to wear the Star of David etc.

The why is not important when dealing with religion. If a beard is holy or what have you, so be it. It's not for others to judge.

I really see no reason to deny any religious concession, as long as it doesn't interfere with equipment used or performing duty. eg If having a three foot beard means the serviceman can't properly use a environmental mask, then sure, no beards allowed in that scenario.

Surtur
Because it's a religious one and if other religious concessions have been made why not this? Christians are allowed to wear crosses, Jews are allowed to wear the Star of David etc.

The why is not important when dealing with religion. If a beard is holy or what have you, so be it. It's not for others to judge.

I really see no reason to deny any religious concession, as long as it doesn't interfere with equipment used or performing duty. eg If having a three foot beard means the serviceman can't properly use a environmental mask, then sure, no beards allowed in that scenario.

Wearing a cross is a far cry from facial hair. If the army has legit reasons for it, then WHY concede to one group. If they don't have legit reasons then why not throw it out all together? But if they no longer have no legit reasons for it one would think they'd just allow everyone to do it.

If they allow them to grow beards, everyone should be allowed to do so. Let them wear whatever their equivalent of a cross or star of david is, but they don't need facial hair. Again: why are they joining the army if they are going to whine about the rules?

You also talk about concessions being made for others to wear crosses and stars. Were Jews ever banned from wearing stars of david? Or Christians banned from wearing a cross? Do they have to go see a committee or undergo a "review" to wear these?

It'd surprise me if crosses were banned considering the hard on for religion the government has. I'm sure muslims have a religious symbol they can wear. Boom, problem fixed. The only concessions made for the other religions were the ability to wear your religious symbol. I see no reason to not do the same here. Fair is fair, they can wear their little star and crescent or whatever the hell the symbols are.

Unless..is a beard the main symbol for Muslim religion?

jaden101
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Not that I have an issue with this, but why is it important? It's a uniform that hides all religious values, I don't see why it's important to modify it to show what God you favor. But I digress.

It's obviously a ploy by that black muslim Obama to try and get more muslims in the army until he phases out whites. Next thing you know it'll be an army of muslims marching towards your cities raping your men and killing your women, but it won't be an invasion, no. They'll call it martial law and Obama will be behind it all. Wake up people!

You were almost convincing...but you used 'people' instead of 'sheeple' and now we know you were being facetious all along

Robtard
Wearing a cross is a far cry from facial hair. If the army has legit reasons for it, then WHY concede to one group. If they don't have legit reasons then why not throw it out all together? But if they no longer have no legit reasons for it one would think they'd just allow everyone to do it.

If they allow them to grow beards, everyone should be allowed to do so. Let them wear whatever their equivalent of a cross or star of david is, but they don't need facial hair. Again: why are they joining the army if they are going to whine about the rules?

You also talk about concessions being made for others to wear crosses and stars. Were Jews ever banned from wearing stars of david? Or Christians banned from wearing a cross? Do they have to go see a committee or undergo a "review" to wear these?

It'd surprise me if crosses were banned considering the hard on for religion the government has.

Not really, they're both religious based in these cases. Wearing a beard is religious to a Sheik, just as wearing a cross is to a Christian.

Again, I personally don't have a problem with everyone being allowed to have facial hair in the military, as long as it doesn't interfere with service. But in this case, the military is looking it as a concession for religious reasons, as they've allowed other religions there's.

Not sure. But crosses and SoD are allowed, were other jewelry isn't, so a religious concession was made for them apparently. eg A Christian can wear a cross on a chain, but some baller can't wear a gold chain with a pimp medallion.

Surtur
So why not let them wear a chain with a star and crescent on it and be done with it?

I get the concessions for other groups, but those concessions were "you can wear jewelry with a symbol of your religion on it". Concessions made to Muslims should be similar.

I still don't even get why facial hair is banned in the first place.

Stealth Moose
Not really, they're both religious based in these cases. Wearing a beard is religious to a Sheik, just as wearing a cross is to a Christian.

Again, I personally don't have a problem with everyone being allowed to have facial hair in the military, as long as it doesn't interfere with service. But in this case, the military is looking it as a concession for religious reasons, as they've allowed other religions there's.

Not sure. But crosses and SoD are allowed, were other jewelry isn't, so a religious concession was made for them apparently. eg A Christian can wear a cross on a chain, but some baller can't wear a gold chain with a pimp medallion.

But can I wear my pastafarian colander? If it becomes bullet proof.

Surtur
Also aren't there religions where a big part of it is smoking weed?

Stealth Moose

Rastafarians use weed for religious purposes, but not to the extent that some dirty hippies imply.

Robtard
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
But can I wear my pastafarian colander? If it becomes bullet proof.

Would probably interfere with other military equipment.

Robtard

Yes. But a case could be made where being high on THC would adversely affect one's ability to perform their duty.

Stealth Moose
Would probably interfere with other military equipment.

Never.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/30634232http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photography-man-wearing-colander-as-helmet-topless-saluting-like-soldier-30634232.jpg

Spawningpool
Yes. But a case could be made where being high on THC would adversely affect one's ability to perform their duty.
Hey dude. Do you got anymore of them MRIs?

Surtur

But then I would hope there was never any legit reason ti disallow facial hair then.

Robtard
But then I would hope there was never any legit reason ti disallow facial hair then.

Not actually sure why the US military doesn't allow facial hair, as it wasn't always so. It's probably due to everyone being uniform and to weed out the sense of being an individual, than it is for practical reasons.

I'm sure one of the Chairborn Rangers here could tell you more precise info.

Time Immemorial
They do allow a well groomed mustache, but anyone who grown it is usually a clown. It has to do with tradition or something.

dadudemon
flirt

Robtard
If DDM were in the military he'd sport a moustache

riv6672
I hate military moustaches. To be in regs they need to look cheesy. To look decent they need to be out of regs.
That said, i briefly sported a toothbrush stache, when i was a junior soldier, to mess with my NCOs.
I was brought to my 1SG, where it was said i was racist because it was a Hitler fan.
I told 1SG i was a fan of Charlie Chaplin, but hey, we see where THIS guy's head is at.
After he stopped laughing, 1SG told me to stop messing with the NCOs. I shaved it a week later.

riv6672
Why do women insist on wearing their hair out of regs? Why dont they get their heads shaved for basic training? Meh.

Personally i think this looks pretty sharp.
http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-620/h--/q-95/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/1/23/1390509893315/1568b03a-9522-4b50-b6c0-2e6aa3199e5c-620x372.jpeg

Omega Vision
Hey the Sikhs are smart people, that guy will never get a bug in his hair. Ever.

riv6672
Oh its true. Beard on the other hand...

Surtur
Wait, DO women have to shave their heads? Or at least cut their hair?

Omega Vision
I think they have to cut it really close in basic training, but then afterward they can wear it in ponytails and such.

That's what I remember hearing when my brother was in basic. Maybe the forum vets can clarify the actual policy.

riv6672
Ha, noooo, they dont have to cut their hair close, and they arent restricted to pony tails, which is why i used female hair styles as an example.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.