Disney cancels 'Tron Legacy' sequel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

marwash22

DTM
DAMMIT! I loved TRON Legacy, and thought TRON 3 was moving along very nicely, getting its main stars back and all, and now its Cancelled? CRAP!

Mindset
Phuck Disney, buncha jabronis if you ask me.

BruceSkywalker
good im glad, now disney can hire wilde and hedlund to portray marvel characters

Impediment
Not too shaken up. Legacy wasn't shit, but was a lot of MEH.

Mindset
Official Jabroni List:
Disney
BruceSkywalker
Impediment

Time Immemorial
Good, now we don't have to have Quan talking about Tron anymore.

marwash22
Originally posted by Impediment
Not too shaken up. Legacy wasn't shit, but was a lot of MEH. i didn't think it was amazing, but i definitely enjoyed it and i was looking forward to another.

Mindset
Originally posted by marwash22
i didn't think it was amazing, but i definitely enjoyed it and i was looking forward to another. Same.

Olivia Wilde was hot too.

Impediment
WTF is a "jabroni"?

Oh, right. WWE wrestling slang.

awermm

Mindset
WTF is a "jabroni"?

Oh, right. WWE wrestling slang.

awermm L3FycxyAqR0

WhiteWitchKing
They're canceling to devote resources to making more shitty Avengers movies with the plot mainly just a bunch of cameos to advertise future Marvel movies. YEEEEEEEEEAH!

F*** THAT SHIT!

F*** FEIGE!

F*** DISNEY!

Robtard
Not heart broken, but I kind of wanted a third flick. The hell though, Legacy more than doubled its money, probably some Disney assclown exec decided that's not enough anymore to warrant time invested.

Tzeentch
They wanted Will Smith to be the lead man and were so heart-broken when he agreed to do it on the condition that Jaden Smith be in it that they canned the entire project.

marwash22
uggh

BruceSkywalker
Not too shaken up. Legacy wasn't shit, but was a lot of MEH.

i agree..

NemeBro
Originally posted by Mindset
Same.

Olivia Wilde was hot too. thumb up

The Nuul
Originally posted by Mindset
Phuck Disney, buncha jabronis if you ask me.

thumb up

NemeBro
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i agree.. thumb down

ares834
Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
They're canceling to devote resources to making more shitty Avengers movies with the plot mainly just a bunch of cameos to advertise future Marvel movies. YEEEEEEEEEAH!

F*** THAT SHIT!

F*** FEIGE!

F*** DISNEY!

yes

quanchi112
Pissed off when I saw this on cinema blend yesterday. Tron Legacy was absolutely terrific. I do hope this eventually gets made but I still have Star Trek:Beyond and Star Force: Force Awakens in the meantime.

Surtur
I enjoyed the recent Tron cartoon. Probably been canceled by now though. I guess since I don't even know if it is on the air anymore I probably didn't enjoy it that much.

....carry on.

BruceSkywalker
after the dud that is tomorrowland, cancelling tron 3 is a smart move

quanchi112
after the dud that is tomorrowland, cancelling tron 3 is a smart move Tron isn't tomorrow land. It also made a healthy profit and should be continued.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Surtur
I enjoyed the recent Tron cartoon. Probably been canceled by now though. I guess since I don't even know if it is on the air anymore I probably didn't enjoy it that much.

....carry on.

Wha?

you enjoyed it but not really.

Q99
Originally posted by quanchi112
Tron isn't tomorrow land. It also made a healthy profit and should be continued.

It made a reasonably profit. 400m worldwide on 170m budget is 'success, but doesn't scream for a sequel. Consult other factors to decide, like DVD sales.'

quanchi112
Originally posted by Q99
It made a reasonably profit. 400m worldwide on 170m budget is 'success, but doesn't scream for a sequel. Consult other factors to decide, like DVD sales.' It is a cautious decision IMO due to tomorrowlands failure. Tron Legacy was awesome. I'm pissed.

BruceSkywalker
Tron isn't tomorrow land. It also made a healthy profit and should be continued.

you missed the point, oh well what is new ????

besides disney must be thinking something other than tron 2 making a profit and not continuing it,, not my problem so not really worried that the tron franchise has stopped, besides reading the article they speculate that tron 3 could still eventually happen but just not at this time...

quanchi112
you missed the point, oh well what is new ????

besides disney must be thinking something other than tron 2 making a profit and not continuing it,, not my problem so not really worried that the tron franchise has stopped, besides reading the article they speculate that tron 3 could still eventually happen but just not at this time... You rarely if ever have a point. The film was a success so unless Disney hates making money you didn't have a legitimate point.

Tomorrowland happened but I will hope Tron 3 eventually gets greenlit.

Q99
It is a cautious decision IMO due to tomorrowlands failure. Tron Legacy was awesome. I'm pissed.

Tomorrow Land may or may not have factored into it (it *just* got released, so I doubt it), but it's not at the level where it'd be assumed to happen.

And hey, it already got a TV show anyway.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Q99
Tomorrow Land may or may not have factored into it (it *just* got released, so I doubt it), but it's not at the level where it'd be assumed to happen.

And hey, it already got a TV show anyway. I believe it did since the head,ones were it was a go until this movie crashed.

I don't care. I want a mew movie expanding the mythology.

Galan007
This sucks.

...At least we're getting a f*cking Ant-Man movie, though!

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/hangover.gif

Robtard
Meh, it's not so terrible. While Tron:Legacy was decent it ended not in a cliffhanger where you felt you needed more.

Ant-Man is looking like it might be a fun blast in the line with GotG. I'm looking forward to it so far.

BruceSkywalker
You rarely if ever have a point. The film was a success so unless Disney hates making money you didn't have a legitimate point.

Tomorrowland happened but I will hope Tron 3 eventually gets greenlit.

oh little man i have points, i don't have to always say them, its my damn right not too...

oh but i do because idiots/clowns like you do not decide on what film gets a sequel or not... just because a film makes money doesn;t necessarily mean a sequel will be greenlit... many movies make money yet they do not always get sequels and like i said perhaps disney has reasons for not making tron 3 and won;t say them.. also if you had more than pea for a brain, the article clearly intimates that tron 3 is still possible BUT NOT AT THIS TIME

Tomorrowland certainly happened but it is a flop... Disney could be far more suited making successes under Marvel than they are under their own umbrella..

Originally posted by Robtard
Meh, it's not so terrible. While Tron:Legacy was decent it ended not in a cliffhanger where you felt you needed more.

Ant-Man is looking like it might be a fun blast in the line with GotG. I'm looking forward to it so far.

best damn fracking post in here

Q99
I believe it did since the head,ones were it was a go until this movie crashed.

I don't care. I want a mew movie expanding the mythology.

Yea.

Still, I called the studio execs and checked. It turns out they were disappoint you, you personally, didn't see it in theaters more. They also expected you to pick up a few more copies of the DVD or Blu-ray.

They really sounded disappointed about it, too.

Golgo13
Originally posted by Q99
It made a reasonably profit. 400m worldwide on 170m budget is 'success, but doesn't scream for a sequel. Consult other factors to decide, like DVD sales.'

Pacific Rim will get a sequel and it only did 411 WW, with a 200 M budget. I think Tron still has a chance, if Disney is smart.

Q99
Originally posted by Golgo13
Pacific Rim will get a sequel and it only did 411 WW, with a 200 M budget. I think Tron still has a chance, if Disney is smart.

Yes, but Pacific Rim was right on the edge, people were very much doubting it would, and had the director and screenwriter both enthusiastically talking about the ideas for a second one, a really big fan-following including some big-name people (William Gibson, Hideo Kojima, Go Nagai- literally the guy who invented piloted mecha said he loved it. And great DVD sales, which is key. The limited number of books and toys vanished into fan's hands quickly), plus it's success was specifically in China, a growth market that studios have a vested interest in, and the success of Godzilla shows the Kaiju genre is growing in the US too. Heck, between PR and Kaiju they've pretty much cornered the market as US Kaiju masters- a genre the studio head is a fan of, so that's another minor plus.

And a final factor, it's by Legendary, which at the time, was lacking in franchises of their own with their breaking of a partnership with Universal. Even a moderate franchise was thus more valuable to them than it'd normally be.

Disney's not lacking in franchises, to say the least, or other properties to target to the same demographic. So... they don't need it. If Legendary had Tron, then yea, they'd probably do so, but Disney has Marvel, Star Wars, and everything else.

So there's a lot of little factors to push Pacific Rim over the edge, but even with all that, it was very much on the edge. 411m on a 190m budget isn't quite as good as 400 on a 170 budget, but the other factors make the difference.

quanchi112
oh little man i have points, i don't have to always say them, its my damn right not too...

oh but i do because idiots/clowns like you do not decide on what film gets a sequel or not... just because a film makes money doesn;t necessarily mean a sequel will be greenlit... many movies make money yet they do not always get sequels and like i said perhaps disney has reasons for not making tron 3 and won;t say them.. also if you had more than pea for a brain, the article clearly intimates that tron 3 is still possible BUT NOT AT THIS TIME

Tomorrowland certainly happened but it is a flop... Disney could be far more suited making successes under Marvel than they are under their own umbrella..

best damn fracking post in here Oh this from the gigantic awkward man whose points don't make any sense. Hell, do you even caps ?

This from the say guy who went nuts Ben affleck was playing batman to sport a sig with him in one of the most hypocritical and biased moves I've ever seen. The point is profit. Even someone without limited intellect has to see that. I never said it wasn't possible I said I'm pissed it isn't going to be made soon. Read my posts or have someone read them for you after they hit the caps button, dummy.

smile

quanchi112
Originally posted by Q99
Yea.

Still, I called the studio execs and checked. It turns out they were disappoint you, you personally, didn't see it in theaters more. They also expected you to pick up a few more copies of the DVD or Blu-ray.

They really sounded disappointed about it, too. I saw it multiple times and bought the blu Ray and digital version from the playstation store. I'm a fan that spends money unlike the illegal downloaders on here who don't support the movie industry.

Q99
I saw it multiple times and bought the blu Ray and digital version from the playstation store. I'm a fan that spends money unlike the illegal downloaders on here who don't support the movie industry.

Oh, I know that, and you know that, and they appreciate it, they just expected, y'know, multiple copies. Not from everyone, just from you specifically.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Q99
Oh, I know that, and you know that, and they appreciate it, they just expected, y'know, multiple copies. Not from everyone, just from you specifically. I bit that you were joking the first time but a digital copy and a blu Ray DVD copy is multiple copies of the film. If only other so called fans were like me maybe this would have been greenlit.

Q99
I bit that you were joking the first time but a digital copy and a blu Ray DVD copy is multiple copies of the film. If only other so called fans were like me maybe this would have been greenlit.

To drop the joking for a minute, yea, higher DVD sales would've likely done it.

BruceSkywalker
Oh this from the gigantic awkward man whose points don't make any sense. Hell, do you even caps ?

This from the say guy who went nuts Ben affleck was playing batman to sport a sig with him in one of the most hypocritical and biased moves I've ever seen. The point is profit. Even someone without limited intellect has to see that. I never said it wasn't possible I said I'm pissed it isn't going to be made soon. Read my posts or have someone read them for you after they hit the caps button, dummy.

smile

if all you wanna do is name call, i'll just let Bada or Imp handle you...

you're the one with limited intellect .. of course i went ape shit over affleck, i have every damn right to go ape shit over affleck, he has got to get batman.bruce wayne right otherwise someone brand new will be playing the role.. the point is hardly ever profit than explain why american sniper hasn;t gotten a sequel?? hahahahaha or why hasn't the poltergeist reboot hasn't greenlit a sequel yet??? explain why american hustle hasn't gotten a sequel???? when studios discuss potential sequel more than just profit goes into it.... even two year olds know these things...

as too your posts....tl;dr

quanchi112
Originally posted by Q99
To drop the joking for a minute, yea, higher DVD sales would've likely done it. 61 million back then isn't terrible at all. The movie made a considerable profit considering its budget so my point stands.

quanchi112
if all you wanna do is name call, i'll just let Bada or Imp handle you...

you're the one with limited intellect .. of course i went ape shit over affleck, i have every damn right to go ape shit over affleck, he has got to get batman.bruce wayne right otherwise someone brand new will be playing the role.. the point is hardly ever profit than explain why american sniper hasn;t gotten a sequel?? hahahahaha or why hasn't the poltergeist reboot hasn't greenlit a sequel yet??? explain why american hustle hasn't gotten a sequel???? when studios discuss potential sequel more than just profit goes into it.... even two year olds know these things...

as too your posts....tl;dr You started the name calling with tiny, sport. I unlike you can hit the caps lock.

You went apeshit and before seeing the finished product had a signature made with the character you cried about without seeing his performance. You're ignorant and to the point you hypocritically sported a sit before even seeing him act.

They left the franchise open to a sequel by the end of the film. Disney also considered this and were about to green light a sequel. Then after tomorrowland they suddenly hit the brakes. Tomorrowland was meh. I just saw it. Tron Legacy was very good to me and doubled its money as well as had the actors/actresses on board. That's why canceling it after tomorrowland bombing is overreacting.

You should change tldr to tlcr. Too long can't read.

smile

Q99
I'm disappointed they aren't doing a John Carter sequel.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Q99
I'm disappointed they aren't doing a John Carter sequel. That was meh at best for me. That was a huge bomb though.

Q99
It's one of the few 'planetary romance' films, and definitely the only one with a budget. I really loved it's world, it's martians, and so on.

Sure, the budget was too high for something like that, the audience wasn't there for that subgenre, but it's different.

Whether I like it or not, of course, has no impact on whether or not it'll get a sequel, but I do hope there'll be enough fan-following for someone else to try a Carter film in another decade or so.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Q99
It's one of the few 'planetary romance' films, and definitely the only one with a budget. I really loved it's world, it's martians, and so on.

Sure, the budget was too high for something like that, the audience wasn't there for that subgenre, but it's different.

Whether I like it or not, of course, has no impact on whether or not it'll get a sequel, but I do hope there'll be enough fan-following for someone else to try a Carter film in another decade or so. One thing I will agree is that I'd like to see more. I like big budget sci Fi or fantasy succeeding to see more. It also green lights other films in that genre to be made.

Galan007
Originally posted by Robtard

Ant-Man is looking like it might be a fun blast in the line with GotG. I'm looking forward to it so far. Ant-Man is about the last superhero movie we need right now, as it doesn't directly tie-into any of the events unfolding in the MCU--it's just a filler/fluff film. Disney is taking a huge leap of faith with it, tbh. That said, if it surpasses mediocrity, I'll be happily surprised.

Conversely, Disney already knew the Tron franchise was highly profitable. Surprised they wouldn't just go with a sure thing... Plus, I'd much rather see a Tron sequel then a sketchy superhero flick. But I digress... /shrug

Robtard
Originally posted by Galan007
Ant-Man is about the last superhero movie we need right now, as it doesn't directly tie-into any of the events unfolding in the MCU--it's just a filler/fluff film. Disney is taking a huge leap of faith with it, tbh. That said, if it surpasses mediocrity, I'll be happily surprised.

Conversely, Disney already knew the Tron franchise was highly profitable. Surprised they wouldn't just go with a sure thing... Plus, I'd much rather see a Tron sequel then a sketchy superhero flick. But I digress... /shrug

It likely has to do with the bean-counters looking at returns vs the investment. Sure Tron: Legacy made a profit, it brought back a bit more than double what it cost.

But they're looking for more in their investments for time spent. They don't want double the money, they want the Avengers & IM3's that give back 6+ times in returns. They've had a taste and they want more.

Q99
One thing I will agree is that I'd like to see more. I like big budget sci Fi or fantasy succeeding to see more. It also green lights other films in that genre to be made.

Which is part of why I'm disappointed Jupiter Ascending didn't do better either.

Ideally, all these flicks- Tron 2 included- would've gotten more ticket sales and all had sequels, rather than just Pacific Rim squeeking by while Superheroes get produced in huge numbers (and I like superheroes, I just like SF more, so shifting some over to the SF end would be good....).

quanchi112
Originally posted by Q99
Which is part of why I'm disappointed Jupiter Ascending didn't do better either.

Ideally, all these flicks- Tron 2 included- would've gotten more ticket sales and all had sequels, rather than just Pacific Rim squeeking by while Superheroes get produced in huge numbers (and I like superheroes, I just like SF more, so shifting some over to the SF end would be good....). I liked the universe Jupiter ascending gave us but the movie And general feel of the movie was lackluster.

Really though the marvel cinematic shared universe has paved way for more ideas. Look at star wars, Dracula untold, etc.

I hope Star Trek can really bank so we get more Star Trek films. I hate waiting years for the sequels and wish they could get a game plan like the Disney people had to really flesh out a plan for their cinematic future as opposed to throwing a script together and apparently rushing it at the last second to hit the fiftieth anniversary next year. Without Abrams there I am a little worried.

Kazenji
That was a huge bomb though.

Like that means alot

been plenty of other movies that bombed and later on people loved them.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Kazenji
Like that means alot

been plenty of other movies that bombed and later on people loved them. It doesn't bode well for a sequel, genius. It was a massive bomb.

Kazenji
It doesn't bode well for a sequel, genius. It was a massive bomb.

Not by much.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Kazenji
Not by much. I disagree and so does Disney.

Q99
I liked the universe Jupiter ascending gave us but the movie And general feel of the movie was lackluster.

Really though the marvel cinematic shared universe has paved way for more ideas. Look at star wars, Dracula untold, etc.

I hope Star Trek can really bank so we get more Star Trek films. I hate waiting years for the sequels and wish they could get a game plan like the Disney people had to really flesh out a plan for their cinematic future as opposed to throwing a script together and apparently rushing it at the last second to hit the fiftieth anniversary next year. Without Abrams there I am a little worried.

I wish the Star Trek movies were more Star Trek-y, in the explore-new-worlds-seek-out sense, rather than focusing on action and villains with vendettas.

If a Trek movie like that banked, I will be very happy.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Q99
I wish the Star Trek movies were more Star Trek-y, in the explore-new-worlds-seek-out sense, rather than focusing on action and villains with vendettas.

If a Trek movie like that banked, I will be very happy. You can have exploration along with action and fantastic villains. The old Treks were outright offensive to me. Sitting through them is an exercise in torture. The Nu films are Trek done correctly due to my preferences through the lens of Abrams. Only time will tell with the next one. But Abrams has moved onto Star Wars so I am ready to be amazed there.

Q99
You can have exploration along with action and fantastic villains. The old Treks were outright offensive to me. Sitting through them is an exercise in torture. The Nu films are Trek done correctly due to my preferences through the lens of Abrams. Only time will tell with the next one. But Abrams has moved onto Star Wars so I am ready to be amazed there.

You can have both, but in the first two, they haven't.

Like, new species and stuff would be nice! Enough with the Romulans and Klingons and human-augments.

Or more theme of exploration.

First Contact was interesting that on one hand, you had the vendetta-based action, but on the other hand, it was all about protecting one of *the* great moments of exploration and discovery, and the first-warp-flight thing has a true sense of wonder to it. It was also easily the best TNG movie, which is no coincidence. I preferred it to nuTrek too.

Insurrection and Nemesis were purely based on the villains, and weak as heck.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Q99
You can have both, but in the first two, they haven't.

Like, new species and stuff would be nice! Enough with the Romulans and Klingons and human-augments.

Or more theme of exploration.

First Contact was interesting that on one hand, you had the vendetta-based action, but on the other hand, it was all about protecting one of *the* great moments of exploration and discovery, and the first-warp-flight thing has a true sense of wonder to it. It was also easily the best TNG movie, which is no coincidence. I preferred it to nuTrek too.

Insurrection and Nemesis were purely based on the villains, and weak as heck. The first one was solid the second was one of my favorite films of all time.

I agree that a new species, villain, etc. since we've already seen Klingons, Romulans, augments, and Vulcans.

I can't stand first contact personally. I'd like to see the Borg again with a high budget but maybe in due time.

I just hope the new director doesn't make it too much like the old trek since he grew up a big fan. Thankfully paramount doesn't seem like they will let that happen.

Kazenji
So instead of doing the 3rd movie, Disney makes a decision to reboot the franchise

Jared Leto is in talks to be in it

http://www.superherohype.com/news/392199-jared-leto-in-early-talks-for-tron-reboot

marwash22
wut

quanchi112
They'd better not disregard the second film. It was great.

BruceSkywalker
so.. does this mean Leto will join the MCU as well???

hahahahaha

Ascendancy
Sad news. Legacy was excellent fare. So strange to not continue with that cast when they had such great momentum.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.