White House sticking to Yemen success

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time Immemorial
With the country spinning out of control. The White House still thinks they have a successful strategy. The democracy they tried to set up there has collapsed. The president fled the country and the place is lawless. Just more rhetoric from the press secretary.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/why-obama-still-calls-yemen-a-success/article/2562059

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
With the country spinning out of control. The White House still thinks they have a successful strategy. The democracy they tried to set up there has collapsed. The president fled the country and the place is lawless. Just more rhetoric from the press secretary.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/why-obama-still-calls-yemen-a-success/article/2562059
We didn't "set up" a democracy there, we helped negotiate a deal to ensure a transition of power from the old president who's now taken up cause with Houthi rebels to regain his power.

Time Immemorial
Obama tried his hand with setting it up, plain and simple.

You can fiddle around and try to distance him from it, but he did, and failed.

Lestov16
Since you clearly know a better alternative, please share it with us.

Omega Vision
Obama tried his hand with setting it up, plain and simple.

You can fiddle around and try to distance him from it, but he did, and failed.
What exactly do you think a Republican president would have done in his position?

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Omega Vision
What exactly do you think a Republican president would have done in his position?

Who gives a fck what the Republican's are doing. How many times have I told you, I'm not republican. You keep saying the saying thing "THE REPUBLICANS!!!"

That's like your go to argument every time.

Your answer to everything is blame republicans because you can't take accountability for what our own party is doing.

Omega Vision
Who gives a fck what the Republican's are doing. How many times have I told you, I'm not republican. You keep saying the saying thing "THE REPUBLICANS!!!"

That's like your go to argument every time.

Your answer to everything is blame republicans because you can't take accountability for what our own party is doing.
I'm not blaming Republicans for anything lol, I'm asking a hypothetical question that you're apparently scared of answering.

Let's remove "Republican" from the equation. Let's say you, a non-partisan president who ran as an independent, are in Obama's place. What do you do about Yemen? What's your strategy when the revolution starts?

Time Immemorial
I'm not blaming Republicans for anything lol, I'm asking a hypothetical question that you're apparently scared of answering.

Let's remove "Republican" from the equation. Let's say you, a non-partisan president who ran as an independent, are in Obama's place. What do you do about Yemen? What's your strategy when the revolution starts?

I would quit claiming it as a success, and either say it was a failure, or an administration oversight, or just withdraw from talking about it, and talking it up to something its not.

Omega Vision
I would quit claiming it as a success, and either say it was a failure, or an administration oversight, or just withdraw from talking about it, and talking it up to something its not.
That's not my question. What would you have done when the actual revolution was taking place, before Saleh gave up power? You claim that you wouldn't try to spin a disaster, which is admirable of you (assuming you'd be as good as your word), but I'm talking about whether you'd spin a story or not, I'm asking you what your Yemen policy would have been, since you're so critical of Obama's.

Time Immemorial
That's not my question. What would you have done when the actual revolution was taking place, before Saleh gave up power?

Considering the hands off policy of the administration, prolly nothing.

Omega Vision
Considering the hands off policy of the administration, prolly nothing.
I don't follow the logic here. You would be the administration. Does that mean you'd have a hands off policy? Or are you saying that Obama has a hands off policy, and you'd follow his example if you were the president?

Time Immemorial
Oh your asking what would I have done?

I would not have messed with it at all, all Obama did was de stabalize it.

Omega Vision
Oh your asking what would I have done?

I would not have messed with it at all, all Obama did was de stabalize it.
What exactly did he do to destabilize Yemen?

From what I understand, the revolution was an internal matter, and all America did was put diplomatic pressure on Saleh to leave, but that was after the country was already falling apart and armed factions developing.

So, yes, maybe if Obama hadn't leaned on Saleh to leave, he'd still be president and there'd be a slim chance that the revolution would be quietly squashed, but think about the implications of that. Wouldn't you be disgusted if our president said and did nothing while a dictator crushed dissent? I don't think you're being fair at all to Obama here, and from what I know about you, I don't think you'd have sat quietly and watched Saleh crush his opposition.

Time Immemorial
How many leaders has Obama gotten out and the country has resulted in Chaos..I can think of a few now.

Omega Vision
How many leaders has Obama gotten out and the country has resulted in Chaos..I can think of a few now.
Yeah, but hindsight is 20/20.

Time Immemorial
Yeah, but hindsight is 20/20.

He had a prime example.. Bush. Which he campaigned he was massively different from. Turns out. Not so much.

Robtard
If I were POTUS, I would have neutron-bombed Yemen, but not directly, I would have had the Israelis do it.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Robtard
If I were POTUS, I would have neutron-bombed Yemen, but not directly, I would have had the Israelis do it.

Yes, exactly

Omega Vision
He had a prime example.. Bush. Which he campaigned he was massively different from. Turns out. Not so much.
You can't really compare Obama's actions on Yemen to Bush's on Iraq. At all.

Libya's a better example, but this time there actually were people in that country begging for American intervention, the Western Europeans were 100% behind Obama, and Obama's fear of getting into a quagmire like Iraq actually shaped his policy of "light touch," which ended up being a long term disaster for a lot of reasons. Obama's made mistakes, some really big ones, but not for lack of learning from Bush's.

Time Immemorial
I was talking referring to Libya more so.

Omega Vision
There's no telling what would have happened, but for all we know Libya would be in the same state Syria is now if we hadn't toppled Qadaffi. His army basically fragmented when the civil war began, so even if he'd crushed the main opposition he'd be in too weak a position to keep Islamist fighters at bay.

jaden101
There's only so many times the US can **** up countries before you begin to think the constant state of instability these countries end up with is the intended state of affairs.

Tzeentch
Never mistake incompetence for maliciousness.

I think we really are just that ****ing stupid.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Never mistake incompetence for maliciousness.

I think we really are just that ****ing stupid.

Well look who's been running the country for the last 6 years. Don't worry, Martin O'Malley will fix it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.