Zombie Apocalypse

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AgentJay04
Eleven reasons why a zombie apocalypse would fail. Most of us have seen Walking Dead or WWZ. But they're pure fiction (like a zombie apocalypse). If one was to happen here are ten factors that would end it.

11. Predators. Lets say the virus infects only humans. There are many animal species that could easily prey on zombies. They have an IQ of zero. Less than a caveman. And cavemen were preyed on by other animals. Imagine what would happen.

10. Weather. Do you know why there are different sets of clothes for each season? So we could withstand each season's powers. A zombie is not smart enough to put on sunscreen in extreme heat. Or a coat in snow. Our brain can be affected very bad by weather. Going to the point in which extreme weather can kill us. Think about the effects on a rotten corpse. A zombie also doesn't realize, "Hey there's a tornado coming this way. I should run."

9. Disease. The brain is the main thing controlled by a parasite. There are hundreds of brain diseases in the world. Brain tumors for example. Plus the parasite is also a living thing. It can also be affected by diseases.

8. Natural barriers. Mountains, rivers, oceans all block zombies. In media, they never explain how zombies can travel across oceans. They're not smart enough to get on boats and travel across the world. They can't fly planes. They can't climb mountains. They can't swim.

7. Man Made barriers. Imagine how a long time ago ancient kingdoms in Europe and Asia built huge walls and structures so other kingdoms couldn't come into their land. Imagine the capability we have today. Giant steel barriers. Heck unless in a group, the average zombie can't get through a door. That's what a door is for, keeping people out.

6. Fragile bodies. Remember in those old Egyptian tomb movies where if you just hit a mummy's hand or whatever it fell off? Well that's basically the same with zombies. You hit one, its arm falls off.

5. Technology. Mankind has the technology to create lots of things. If we wanted we could transport lots of people to Mars or the Moon. It would take some time though. We could create immune vaccines. We could create new biological weapons that only work on zombies. We have fricking tanks and jeeps. We have planes. We have guns. We could easily control a virus.

4. Quarantine measures. You know how much countries go to isolate themselves these days? Look at North Korea, we don't even know half the news about them. Same with Israel or Iran. And in an apocalypse, people could easily isolate themselves from zombies. If nations use these same measures to quarantine infected areas, it might work.

3. The Military. In almost every zombie media, when bands of survivors can easily beat off zombie attacks, the military fails. Heck in Ep. 1 of The Walking Dead, it doesn't explain how the guy in the tank died. Next season, when the Air Force firebombs Atlanta, you should wonder how those zombies got in. Plus the Air Force and Navy can operate from island bases. You can bomb whole areas with zombies in them.

2. Our Destructive Nature. We have managed to kill many animal species on Earth. We have managed to massacre whole countries and cities before. We have managed to come to a level where countries can blow up other countries.
As if this isn't enough. Mankind has a love of killing things. When people hear about zombies flooding the streets, they will gladly take up arms against them. Texas itself has millions of gun owners not counting the military. We love blowing things up. Inventing new weapons. That's why we're the most advanced species on the planet.

1. It's scientifically impossible. Think about it, the parasite may be controlling the brain, but how is it gonna get energy? The brain may be supplying it with its energy but other than that it's impossible. The heart and lungs are not running. They're both essential organs. If they were, they would be considered brain dead not dead. Plus the zombie is gonna eventually die if the parasite runs out of its food source.

Suggest what you'd think would happen.

jaden101
I think you'd die early.

riv6672
^^^Haha.

Some of those are valid points. Like natural barriers. I'd head north or to the mountains, whichever was more feasible immediately.
Predators arent likely to eat rancid meat, though, at least not enough species in great enough numbers to really matter.
The whole go to mars thing is ridiculous.
And assuming the zombies are of a mystical not biological nature, everything is just out the window.

AgentJay04
Um yeah go to Mars is possible but it would take years. And probably only a few hundred people could make the trip. And we are assuming the zombie is of mystical nature so in reality it could not possibly happen. Another thing is the United States would operate out of the Pacific islands or Alaska.

riv6672
You're asking me to take a lot if things on your word without doing the same for me.

Shakyamunison
Of course the Zombie Apocalypse cannot really happen. It's fiction.

riv6672
Thank you Captain Buzzkill. smile

Surtur
I know exactly what would happen. I kill every zombie on Earth and am then made President of the Earth.

I will not be a benevolent leader, so maybe going to Mars is for the best for some. Wait no, since I'm not benevolent I don't care, you guys ain't going to Mars. I will let you go to Antarctica though. I will even let you live there for free.

Surtur
I'll be honest I probably just lied, I doubt I'd let anyone live in Antarctica free of charge. I'm not running a charity here.

riv6672
If you were president of earth, the Mars option really would happen! stick out tongue

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by AgentJay04
11. Predators. Lets say the virus infects only humans. There are many animal species that could easily prey on zombies. They have an IQ of zero. Less than a caveman. And cavemen were preyed on by other animals. Imagine what would happen.
Zombies may lack in IQ but they are still dangerous, specially in groups. Many predators are likely to fall prey to the zombies.

10. Weather. Do you know why there are different sets of clothes for each season? So we could withstand each season's powers. A zombie is not smart enough to put on sunscreen in extreme heat. Or a coat in snow. Our brain can be affected very bad by weather. Going to the point in which extreme weather can kill us. Think about the effects on a rotten corpse. A zombie also doesn't realize, "Hey there's a tornado coming this way. I should run."
Zombies are not going to last forever.

9. Disease. The brain is the main thing controlled by a parasite. There are hundreds of brain diseases in the world. Brain tumors for example. Plus the parasite is also a living thing. It can also be affected by diseases.
Depends upon how powerful the virus or parasite in question is.

8. Natural barriers. Mountains, rivers, oceans all block zombies. In media, they never explain how zombies can travel across oceans. They're not smart enough to get on boats and travel across the world. They can't fly planes. They can't climb mountains. They can't swim.
The infection can spread across the world through several means:

1. If the virus is airborne, then?
2. Infected humans who travel into different countries via airplanes.
3. Insects

7. Man Made barriers. Imagine how a long time ago ancient kingdoms in Europe and Asia built huge walls and structures so other kingdoms couldn't come into their land. Imagine the capability we have today. Giant steel barriers. Heck unless in a group, the average zombie can't get through a door. That's what a door is for, keeping people out.
Humans would eventually run out of supplies inside their cozy settlements and search for them. In addition, humans aren't so kind to each other in times of need, their rivalries and conflicts can prove disastrous.

6. Fragile bodies. Remember in those old Egyptian tomb movies where if you just hit a mummy's hand or whatever it fell off? Well that's basically the same with zombies. You hit one, its arm falls off.
Depends upon the nature of zombie; a walking dead or infected human.

The walking dead types continue to decay but much slower then a normal corpse, the animating virus manages to fight off decay for a while for its own survival.

5. Technology. Mankind has the technology to create lots of things. If we wanted we could transport lots of people to Mars or the Moon. It would take some time though. We could create immune vaccines. We could create new biological weapons that only work on zombies. We have fricking tanks and jeeps. We have planes. We have guns. We could easily control a virus.
Transport people to Mars or Moon? Is this guy for real? We need proper settlements on Mars and Moon first and this is not possible in current times. Also, such developments would be extremely costly.

I wonder how we can cure the walking dead types. The best we can do is to try to cure the infection in a living individual.

4. Quarantine measures. You know how much countries go to isolate themselves these days? Look at North Korea, we don't even know half the news about them. Same with Israel or Iran. And in an apocalypse, people could easily isolate themselves from zombies. If nations use these same measures to quarantine infected areas, it might work.
Such measures may slow down the spread of the infection in such countries. But what if the infection is airborne?

3. The Military. In almost every zombie media, when bands of survivors can easily beat off zombie attacks, the military fails. Heck in Ep. 1 of The Walking Dead, it doesn't explain how the guy in the tank died. Next season, when the Air Force firebombs Atlanta, you should wonder how those zombies got in. Plus the Air Force and Navy can operate from island bases. You can bomb whole areas with zombies in them.
Military forces are deployed to help people and are disadvantaged in this manner. Soldiers risk getting infected and loss of families to zombies isn't a morale booster.

TWD virus was inside every human. It didn't spread through bites or contact with bodily fluids. It might be airborne.

2. Our Destructive Nature. We have managed to kill many animal species on Earth. We have managed to massacre whole countries and cities before. We have managed to come to a level where countries can blow up other countries.
As if this isn't enough. Mankind has a love of killing things. When people hear about zombies flooding the streets, they will gladly take up arms against them. Texas itself has millions of gun owners not counting the military. We love blowing things up. Inventing new weapons. That's why we're the most advanced species on the planet.
We haven't faced a pandemic zombie event yet. Their are lot of factors and variables that influence the outcome and spread of infection.

1. It's scientifically impossible. Think about it, the parasite may be controlling the brain, but how is it gonna get energy? The brain may be supplying it with its energy but other than that it's impossible. The heart and lungs are not running. They're both essential organs. If they were, they would be considered brain dead not dead. Plus the zombie is gonna eventually die if the parasite runs out of its food source.
Maybe.

Stealth Moose
Eleven reasons why a zombie apocalypse would fail. Most of us have seen Walking Dead or WWZ. But they're pure fiction (like a zombie apocalypse). If one was to happen here are ten factors that would end it.

Suggest what you'd think would happen.

Not very original.

riv6672
Fun reading.

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Zombies may lack in IQ but they are still dangerous, specially in groups. Many predators are likely to fall prey to the zombies.

Zombies are not going to last forever.

Depends upon how powerful the virus or parasite in question is.

The infection can spread across the world through several means:

1. If the virus is airborne, then?
2. Infected humans who travel into different countries via airplanes.
3. Insects

Humans would eventually run out of supplies inside their cozy settlements and search for them. In addition, humans aren't so kind to each other in times of need, their rivalries and conflicts can prove disastrous.

Depends upon the nature of zombie; a walking dead or infected human.

The walking dead types continue to decay but much slower then a normal corpse, the animating virus manages to fight off decay for a while for its own survival.

Transport people to Mars or Moon? Is this guy for real? We need proper settlements on Mars and Moon first and this is not possible in current times. Also, such developments would be extremely costly.

I wonder how we can cure the walking dead types. The best we can do is to try to cure the infection in a living individual.

Such measures may slow down the spread of the infection in such countries. But what if the infection is airborne?

Military forces are deployed to help people and are disadvantaged in this manner. Soldiers risk getting infected and loss of families to zombies isn't a morale booster.

TWD virus was inside every human. It didn't spread through bites or contact with bodily fluids. It might be airborne.

We haven't faced a pandemic zombie event yet. Their are lot of factors and variables that influence the outcome and spread of infection.

Maybe.

S_W_LeGenD
^^^

Thank you.

Omega Vision
There are two main explanations for zombies in more modern (i.e. not traditional voodoo zombies) fiction--(1) the 28 Days Later, Zombie Survival Guide way where the zombies are just infected by an "ordinary" virus, (2) the Walking Dead/Night of the Living Dead type zombies where anyone who dies with their head intact rises as a zombie. Which type we're dealing with makes a huge difference. If the former, you can cordon off areas and prepare to deal with the zombie hordes as they come. If the latter, it becomes almost impossible to account for zombies as ANYONE around you who dies, be it from zombies or from an accident or illness, will rise as a zombie.

One thing that always bothers me though is the lengths writers will go to justify how slow, stupid zombies manage to defeat modern militaries (and yet fail to defeat untrained survivors). Sometimes I feel like World War Z was a really long, convoluted argument on Max Brooks' part for why swords are better than guns.

Branlor Swift
I was watching Dawn of the Planet of The Apes and thinking the same thing in the big attack scene. But at least there the chimps had access to higher grounds to make for harder targets. Plus they're fast.

There's no reason a chopper, tank, truck setup doesn't obliterate zombies. Hell all they'd have to be is in a higher building and just unload one gun into the crowd following how zombies are portrayed.

riv6672
Have you read WW Z? They break down the shortcomings of traditional combat methods pretty well.

Genesis-Soldier
heres my bit

depends on the zombies, is it a supernatural incurred apocalypse? is it a mutation like resident evil?

infected humans driven to there basic primative urges of eating and what not?

i agree with your starting post but thats only if its a [arasite of basic nature

for all we know the parisite could rapidly evolve and that could lead to multiple outcomes

Mindship
If a ZA were to happen, I'd wonder what it was about the laws of nature scientists so blatantly missed, that such an event could happen.

Slow zombies wouldn't be a problem once people got over the shock of it and began to organize (You go, Team Rick). Fast zombies, however (like WWZ swarms) ... those could be problematic, especially in spreading the Z effect.

riv6672
Fast zombies would be truly awful.

Genesis-Soldier
thank god for shot guns and ordinance

AgentJay04
Mars and the Moon are stupid but what about space stations? If any of you have seen the 100. Something like the Ark capable of supporting a few thousand humans for a short time. But yeah it does depend on the kind of zombie. And for all u haters I don't even know why u bother coming here.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by riv6672
Have you read WW Z? They break down the shortcomings of traditional combat methods pretty well.

I saw the movie.....

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/files/2014/03/my-god-its-full-of-stupid.jpg

I dunno about the book tho cause I aint read it.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Genesis-Soldier
thank god for shot guns and ordinance

The libs will get rid of those soon. wink

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
The libs will get rid of those soon. wink

Thank God for all those Red (Neck) States.

*note to self. Block all entry points to states to keep all the Blue State Zombies from invading after the apocalypse*

riv6672
Originally posted by Flyattractor
I saw the movie.....

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/files/2014/03/my-god-its-full-of-stupid.jpg

I dunno about the book tho cause I aint read it.

Oh nonono, you cant go by yhe movie! Just...NOOOO!

Flyattractor
Oh but I can and I WILL!

AgentJay04
In most Zombie movies we assume their creation is of a scientifical nature. A virus or failed military experiment. But in TWD, Hershel does mention the resurrection of the dead. So if they were mystical as someone said earlier, we would be in a lot of trouble. Scientifically we could probably win.

riv6672
Oh but I can and I WILL!
They could have named that movie anything else, it had so little to do with the book...sad

AgentJay04
They could have named that movie anything else, it had so little to do with the book...sad [/QU
True what happened to the lobos and laser guns

AgentJay04
What else I dont get is how napalmfails against zombies. It can basically burn a brain to ash.

riv6672
20+ years in the Army and i can (thankfully) say, i never dealt with napalm. Dont think its a complete or instant though. You'd likely end up with flaming zombies setting you and yours on fire, until the brain burned, if it ever did.

riv6672
From the (i'm sure completely unbiased wink) zombie wiki:

Napalm is flammable adhesive liquid that can sustain a high burning temperature. While technically, the name originated from the original popular formula of naphthenic and palm acids in gasoline, there are hundreds of different acceptable formulas that are known as napalm. It burns very hot and many kinds are durable enough to burn on the surface of a body of water.

Unlike most incendiary weapons, Napalm can be very useful against zombies. Napalm sticks to whatever it touches and burns for a long time and can easily render a zombie immobile if not just kill it outright. Note that this can take sometime, depending ont he formula of the napalm and how much of the napalm got on the zombie in the first place.

Omega Vision
I've read it. Brooks goes to extreme lengths to contrive a scenario where the American military loses to a horde of mindless zombies who can't move faster than a few miles per hour.

He makes good points about how artillery and rockets would be less effective against enemies who don't stop from minor wounds and can't have their morale sapped, but he basically hit the military with a massive dose of PIS that took away all their other assets.

Brooks lost all ethos though with the way he depicts the cleansing of the United States. Seriously, a giant line of troops moving shoulder to shoulder?

Branlor Swift
Wait how would artillery and rockets be less effective? I mean if it hits them they should go kablooey, no?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Wait how would artillery and rockets be less effective? I mean if it hits them they should go kablooey, no?
Direct hits, yeah, but Brooks' point was that, the proximity effect from shrapnel and the psychological factor of the explosion that's so devastating to human enemies is pretty much completely lost on zombies. If you have a thousand humans attacking you, you could successfully turn them back by killing a hundred with a few well placed artillery shells. With the same number of zombies you'd still have nine hundred undeterred zombies coming at you.

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Direct hits, yeah, but Brooks' point was that, the proximity effect from shrapnel and the psychological factor of the explosion that's so devastating to human enemies is pretty much completely lost on zombies. If you have a thousand humans attacking you, you could successfully turn them back by killing a hundred with a few well placed artillery shells. With the same number of zombies you'd still have nine hundred undeterred zombies coming at you. Hmm.

The shrapnel should still kill quite a lot of zombies though. Plus "slowing down" a lot as well. Then I mean it's still killing a lot while you have other weapons available with a lot more men, especially if you're pulling out rockets and artillery. You're basically ready for a small war at that stage.

I get the morale aspect, but that just seems like some zombie fanboying, like what you said.

riv6672
I'm not going to nitpick with you guys, but seriously, you're givibg shrapnel too much credit, and not enough to a relentless tide of the undead. stick out tongue

Genesis-Soldier
im just going to bring up a piont

THERMITE

how is it relevant you ask
its cheap, its effective, burns the shit out of bone and flesh. not quite napalm but easier to use.

Genesis-Soldier
and did i mention i have 4000+ reasons as to why it Burns me up wink

Flyattractor
I'm not going to nitpick with you guys, but seriously, you're givibg shrapnel too much credit, and not enough to a relentless tide of the undead. stick out tongue

We just tell all you Grunts, Jarheads and other miscellaneous bulletstoppers that once you clean up the Undead menace you get a 3 day weekend pass with all expenses paid voucher. And your free to use what ever tactics or methods you want short of Nukes.

End of Zombie Menace.

Nuff said.

AgentJay04
We just tell all you Grunts, Jarheads and other miscellaneous bulletstoppers that once you clean up the Undead menace you get a 3 day weekend pass with all expenses paid voucher. And your free to use what ever tactics or methods you want short of Nukes.

End of Zombie Menace.

Nuff said.

This guy is correct. In almost every zombie media, nukes are never used. I mean I would risk part of the population if I wanted the virus to end. And then mop up any remaining zombies. Easy. And if nukes are too much, why not plain air bombing? And how artillery and rockets fail against zombies is hard too see. Just aim for a large mass, shoot all hell into them and if it doesn't kill them it might at least leave them immobile. Then stick a bullet up their head.

riv6672
Yeah....i'm done with this thread. I'm no longer inclined to break down viable military tactics. no

Flyattractor
And that's why Riv never gets the 3 Day party voucher.

Stoic
Mars. LOL.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.