Who were the best royal guards?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Demenos
Who were the best royal guards in the star wars universe ?

examples: shadow guard
imperial sovereign protectors
imperial sentinels
vitiate's royal guard
imperial guard (red guard)

i dont know everything about them all but im going with the imperial sovereign protectors on this one.

ILS
Imperial Knights via bias

Zenwolf
From the list as I see it.

Sovereign Guards > Shadow Guards > Vitiate's Imperial Guard(They aren't Royal Guards, Royal Guard= Palpatine) > Imperial Sentinel > Red Guard.

Overall? What ILS said, Imperial Knights would be the best out of them all.

Although you may be able to swap between the Sovereign and Shadow considering the Sovereign are top dog in the Guardsmen status, but by feats the Shadow Guard shows better. The Royal Guard would be before the Sovereign and Shadow, yet after the Imperial Guard.

I feel the Sentinels could be bumped up, but I dunno if they have any showings. They are described as good, but mindless. Could probably bump the Red Guard ahead of them because of that, but i'll just keep it where it is.

Q99
Ironically, one of the stronger individuals we know who'd fit on that list, Kir Kanos, was a 'simple' red guard.

I'd be tempted to put Vitiate's Imperial Guard higher on the list. Lassicar has a nice kill-count of Jedi and Sith- though that's just an exceptional individual among the IG so maybe not.

Imperial Knights do seem likely to be the strongest, since they pretty much are combat-focused Jedi masters assigned to protect the Emperor/Empress (and who spend most of their time detached as generals and accomplishing other important missions).

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Q99
Ironically, one of the stronger individuals we know who'd fit on that list, Kir Kanos, was a 'simple' red guard.

I'd be tempted to put Vitiate's Imperial Guard higher on the list. Lassicar has a nice kill-count of Jedi and Sith- though that's just an exceptional individual among the IG so maybe not.

Imperial Knights do seem likely to be the strongest, since they pretty much are combat-focused Jedi masters assigned to protect the Emperor/Empress (and who spend most of their time detached as generals and accomplishing other important missions).

Kanos was a Royal Guard not a Red Guard.

Red Guards were from the Senate Commandos.

But yeah, as a whole that's where I put em and it seems fair.

Zenwolf
So full list as I see it, goes.

1. Imperial Knights

2. Sovereign Protectors

3. Palps Shadow Guard

4. Palps Royal Guard

5. Vitiate's Imperial Guard

6. Imperial Sentinel

7. Red Guard

8. Senate Guards/Commandos

This taking into account their weapons, armor and so on. Though the Sentinel kind of takes a big hit, due to pretty much being mindless from what I've gathered. So you could probably bump up the Red Guard in their place and the Sentinel takes 7th. You can also bump up the Shadows and switch them with the Sovereign considering the Shadows have better feats.

Though this is how I see it from all the information I have.

Q99
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Kanos was a Royal Guard not a Red Guard.

Red Guards were from the Senate Commandos.

But yeah, as a whole that's where I put em and it seems fair.

Oops. Thanks for the info.

Your list looks pretty good to me.

Zenwolf
Appreciate that.

Lord Lucien
Craig was pretty good.

Q99
Now, individual power aside, which ones did the best job of actually keeping their bosses alive?

Lord Lucien
Reggie.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Q99
Now, individual power aside, which ones did the best job of actually keeping their bosses alive?
Obviously not the Imperial Knights.

Q99
Originally posted by FreshestSlice

They did pretty good keeping Roan alive against Krayt! ... but, uh, yea, that last bit was minus points ^^

Palpatine's royal guards always seemed to vanish when there was time for a duel or such, because the people he most had to worry about, his apprentice and prospective apprentices, were ones he actually wanted to face.

ILS
Part of the Imperial Knight oath is to kill their Emperor if he strays towards the dark side. Considering Roan was going to massacre the population of Coruscant just to kill the Sith I'd say taking him out was a good move on their part.

Trocity
Originally posted by ILS
Part of the Imperial Knight oath is to kill their Emperor if he strays towards the dark side. Considering Roan was going to massacre the population of Coruscant just to kill the Sith I'd say taking him out was a good move on their part.

thumb up

He had lost his mind.

FreshestSlice
Which would be relevant, but doesn't actually pertain to the question asked, now does it?

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Q99
They did pretty good keeping Roan alive against Krayt! ... but, uh, yea, that last bit was minus points ^^

Palpatine's royal guards always seemed to vanish when there was time for a duel or such, because the people he most had to worry about, his apprentice and prospective apprentices, were ones he actually wanted to face.

Palps Guards were just standing around for the most part in a lot of their appearances. Though in Betrayal, 5 of them took on a small army that was trying to assassinate Palpatine and Palps only got involved because a stray blaster bolt made him spill some of his drink.

This is the only showing I can think of where they actively defended Palps, rest of their showings is just them standing around next to him.

The Red Guards actually have some pretty good showings of defending their charges, a group of them defended Palpatine from battle droids and Magnaguards.

The Senate Guards/Commandos have some showings defending the Chancellor previous to Palpatine and also various Senators.

Q99
I know Emperor Palpatine was kidnapped at least once, by Arden Lyn and her students.

More than likely he was playing at being a weak old man there, so more than likely she beat some Royal Guards to do so.

Zenwolf
It was actually her and Zaarin's forces, so she wasn't alone there with just her students. But yeah, although she did have an amp via the Kashi Mer Talisman.

ILS
Which would be relevant, but doesn't actually pertain to the question asked, now does it? Sure, but you made this point:

Zenwolf
So as far as jobs go I guess it would go pretty much the same list as I have above. Although you could bump up the Red Guard/Senate Guards above the Imperial Sentinels, unless they have something to show.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by ILS
Sure, but you made this point:
And? In case you didn't know, the question was, "Now, individual power aside, which ones did the best job of actually keeping their bosses alive?" If the job was to kill their boss, they obviously weren't doing the best job to keep him alive, all other situations not withstanding.

ILS
Except Q99 was talking about how good they were at keeping Roan alive against assassins and so on (which they were). So you were either using that against them, or arbitrarily pointing out that Antares killed him. erm

Zenwolf
In fact actually as far as guarding their charges go, I see a list like this.

1. Imperial Knight

2. Palps Royal Guard

3. Senate/Red Guards/Commandos(they pretty much at the same thing.)

4. Vitiate's Imperial Guard

Based on showings of them defending their charges within a scene. Considering the Shadow Guards never did protect Palpatine outright in the same room, or the Sentinels doing the same(unless again they have showings I'm not aware of). I'm excluding them.

So a slight different list here, based on defending their charges in scenes.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by ILS
Except Q99 was talking about how good they were at keeping Roan alive against assassins and so on (which they were). So you were either using that against them, or arbitrarily pointing out that Antares killed him. erm
Q99 responded before you did, and while I got the gist of what he was saying, yes I was pointing out how Fel died and echoed an earlier statement. Obviously q99 got that, given his response, and you didn't given yours.

NewGuy01
Non-Force Sensitive:

Sovereign Protector > Dark Honor Guard >/= MagnaGuard > Royal (Red) Guard

Force Sensitive:

Imperial Knight > Shadow Guard

Emperordmb
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Non-Force Sensitive:

Sovereign Protector > Dark Honor Guard >/= MagnaGuard > Royal (Red) Guard

Force Sensitive:

Imperial Knight > Shadow Guard
How would that look merged into one list in your opinion?

NewGuy01
With exceptions, Force Sensitives>Non Force Sensitives

Emperordmb
Originally posted by NewGuy01
With exceptions, Force Sensitives>Non Force Sensitives
Right right, I'm just slightly curious about what you think those exceptions are. I myself am uncertain of how some of them would compare.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Right right, I'm just slightly curious about what you think those exceptions are. I myself am uncertain of how some of them would compare.

Exceptions being individual exceptions like Carnor Jax, who's technically a Force User, but it's an example.

Zenwolf
New, all Sovereign Guards were Force Sensitive and capable of wielding the Force, they were taught by Dark side users.

Q99
Originally posted by Emperordmb

Kir Kanos is pretty impressive, and I could easily see him beat lesser force users. I mean, he beat Carnor Jax despite Jax having some force training from Lumiya.

ILS
Q99 responded before you did, and while I got the gist of what he was saying, yes I was pointing out how Fel died and echoed an earlier statement. Obviously q99 got that, given his response, and you didn't given yours. I got it, it was just redundant. thumb up

Jmanghan
Bump.

Zenwolf
Why bump?

Though I will be changing my list and exclude Shadow Guards and Sentinels, the former weren't really formed to defend Palpatine and the latter were just mindless slaves formed by Palps Dark Adepts to do their bidding.

So as far as actual Guardsmen go, as in they defend their Emperor and based on their training, weaponry, armor and showings. I see it like this.

1. Imperial Knights

2. Sovereign Royal Guards

3. Imperial Royal Guards

4. Imperial Guard

5. Red Guard

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.