Date rape nail polish

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
The nail polish changes color when exposed to a variety of...chemicals.

http://www.newsweek.com/controversy-over-nail-varnish-date-rape-drug-detector-267126

However, the invention has detractors:

I dont see how this is bad, personally. I certainly dont see it as putting women in a negative light.

Bardock42
There's also cards you can use to test whether a drink has been drugged. Of course it can't be the duty of women to carry such things and test every drink they take, but if a woman wants to do that it's good she has the option.

I understand the worry that the lady from Rape Crisis voices, people always put blame on victims and this may be another piece in their arsenal to accuse women of failing to do. Obviously it is 100% the rapist or assaulters fault, and there's no blame to be put on the woman regardless of the circumstances. But that's sadly not how it often plays out.

Omega Vision
I think the Rape Crisis spokeswoman is missing the point of the invention. I don't think it really suggests that women are responsible for their rapes at all, or that it's supposed to be the only way to tackle the problem of date rape.

riv6672
I found it a short sighted reaction on the spokeswoman's part.

Bardock42
I assume her reaction is based on dealing with rape cases and experiencing this blaming of rape victims first hand. So her view may be tainted by that and she wants to proactively come out and reiterate that while this option exists not using it doesn't and shouldn't put any blame on victims (which I'm sure has already happened by now).

Branlor Swift
Since when is using a preventive something to get in an uproar about?

It'd be like wearing a bullet proof vest unknown to anyone and then getting shot and going "Well I knew I shouldn't have used that thing that saved my life! I was just asking for it!"

It's not like she's showing her vagina off to everyone (which is where this logic stems from) and then going well jeeze it's my fault, she's just secretly trying to prevent getting drugged and raped. Like it or not, rape happens, and simply screaming about how it's bad isn't going to stop it.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Since when is using a preventive something to get in an uproar about?

It'd be like wearing a bullet proof vest unknown to anyone and then getting shot and going "Well I knew I shouldn't have used that thing that saved my life! I was just asking for it!"

It's not like she's showing her vagina off to everyone (which is where this logic stems from) and then going well jeeze it's my fault, she's just secretly trying to prevent getting drugged and raped. Like it or not, rape happens, and simply screaming about how it's bad isn't going to stop it.

I think you got this completely twisted. What she's saying is that "while bullet proof vests are a well meaning approach, the Mugging and Murder Crisis Center does not endorse this product, because of the already prevalent victim blaming of "what can you expect, he should have worn a bullet proof vest, was basically asking for it" attitude that is brought against victims of muggings and shootings"

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Bardock42
Of course it can't be the duty of women to carry such things and test every drink they take

but if i suggest to a woman that she carry one of these test kits in her purse, would that also be misogynistic victim blaming?

Branlor Swift
I think you got this completely twisted. What she's saying is that "while bullet proof vests are a well meaning approach, the Mugging and Murder Crisis Center does not endorse this product, because of the already prevalent victim blaming of "what can you expect, he should have worn a bullet proof vest, was basically asking for it" attitude that is brought against victims of muggings and shootings" How does what I said go against anything you said?

I'm just saying that worrying about victim blaming over preventing rape is retarded. There's no negatives to being prepared like this. No one should victim blame them if they don't use it of course, but like I said, rape happens. Not doing anything isn't a negative but anything that helps is a positive.

I realize they're worrying about the after effects of rape because that's what they do, but they shouldn't turn away products or bring negatives to them just because of the "if you don't use it, you will get drugged and raped" angle.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
but if i suggest to a woman that she carry one of these test kits in her purse, would that also be misogynistic victim blaming?

Not to me, but other people's opinions may vary.

How does what I said go against anything you said?

I'm just saying that worrying about victim blaming over preventing rape is retarded. There's no negatives to being prepared like this. No one should victim blame them if they don't use it of course, but like I said, rape happens. Not doing anything isn't a negative but anything that helps is a positive.

I realize they're worrying about the after effects of rape because that's what they do, but they shouldn't turn away products or bring negatives to them just because of the "if you don't use it, you will get drugged and raped" angle.

Well, I think for her it's a different question though. She's been talking about why the organisation she works for won't endorse the product, and I can understand why it would take this into consideration.

I'd be interested to know what her other 2 reasons are though.

Branlor Swift
Not to me, but other people's opinions may vary.

Well, I think for her it's a different question though. She's been talking about why the organisation she works for won't endorse the product, and I can understand why it would take this into consideration.

I'd be interested to know what her other 2 reasons are though. It seems to go like this:

1. The woman's fault
2. Assumes responsibility on her behalf
3. Detracts from the real issues of sexual violence

Which the product does anything but for one.
For two, a preventive does not assume responsibility for the action it's preventing. And for three it's just trying to stop you from experiencing it firsthand. It doesn't detract, it just doesn't cover it... because it's nail polish.

Hence a lot of what I said earlier.

Her reasons seem questionable. Especially for simple nail polish that's only real design is for detecting drugs.

Mindset
Oh, I thought this was going to be about nail polish that helps me... never mind.

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by Mindset
Oh, I thought this was going to be about nail polish that helps me... never mind. You'd have coat your fingers in fine ground up sedatives with some sort of solution that sticks to your fingers but doesn't go through your skin. M&Ms theory basically. They melt in your drink, not in your hand.

Or just coat your fingernails but I'm not sure that's enough.

riv6672
^^^I just thought of an evil acronym for M& Ms ... sick

Mindship
Since when is using a preventive something to get in an uproar about? Since Miss Nevada suggested women learn self-defense.

riv6672
huh...everyone should learn self defense.

-Pr-
Advising someone to take preventative measures isn't victim blaming. I think this is a good idea, personally. Anything that helps women feel safer is fine with me.

Omega Vision
Plus, there's a chance we'll catch a lot more attempted date rapists in the act and there will be more deterrent for these scumbags to try something in the future.

Edit: And any idiot who'd victim blame a woman for not wearing this nail polish to prevent her own date rape would probably find a way to blame her anyway even if this didn't exist.

Time Immemorial
Men discussing women issues.

Cry me a river. Go pick up a cosmo..

Did everyone here have there balls cut off with Jenner?

Astner
So the idea is that she's going to spill her drugged drink on her nails and it they'll change color?

NemeBro
Originally posted by Time Immemorial

Did everyone here have there balls cut off with Jenner? What a butthurt retard, lol.

riv6672
^^^laughing

Originally posted by Astner
So the idea is that she's going to spill her drugged drink on her nails and it they'll change color?
I think it was mentioned they'd just stir the drink with a finger...

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by NemeBro
What a butthurt retard, lol.

No just busting balls, retardlaughing out loud

Surtur
My question is how does date rape happen? I mean, obviously I know how it happens, they slip you some drugs and then rape you. So is this just happening at like..house parties where there is no official bartender and you get your own drinks or are women just letting guys go handle their drinks for them or what? Just curious.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Plus, there's a chance we'll catch a lot more attempted date rapists in the act and there will be more deterrent for these scumbags to try something in the future.

Edit: And any idiot who'd victim blame a woman for not wearing this nail polish to prevent her own date rape would probably find a way to blame her anyway even if this didn't exist.

What kind of person would blame them for NOT wearing it?

Did everyone here have there balls cut off with Jenner?

No, you're not insecure about your manhood at all, are you.

Originally posted by Surtur
My question is how does date rape happen? I mean, obviously I know how it happens, they slip you some drugs and then rape you. So is this just happening at like..house parties where there is no official bartender and you get your own drinks or are women just letting guys go handle their drinks for them or what? Just curious.

a lot of the time it can be as simple as someone waiting til you're too drunk to resist. it doesn't have to be drugs. and quite often it can be someone that the person actually knows.

ever buy a woman a drink? or go get her one at a party? or get asked to watch a drink? just try to count how much time you have with her drink to yourself. obviously if you're gay/a straight woman, you'd change that to be a man's drink, as it does happen to them too.

Surtur
Yeah, I was just going to say if this is happening in normal bars maybe they(the people who work there) should also try to keep a look out for anyone being abused or taken advantage of..but I don't know how they'd do it.

-Pr-
Sadly they can't, which is why taking your own preventative measures is usually the safest bet imo. Don't leave drinks unattended, finish your drink before going to the bathroom etc.

Omega Vision
What also happens a lot is that a girl drinks too much at a party, passes out unattended, and some loser rapes her in her sleep.

Branlor Swift
My question is how does date rape happen? Haha I mean, obviously I know how it happens, they slip you some drugs and then rape you. Haha So is this just happening at like..house parties where there is no official bartender and you get your own drinks or are women just letting guys go handle their drinks for them or what? Just curious. Haha

A simple insertion of a word changes the tone of a post. Now Surtur knows all he needs to know. Thanks Paul.

Omega Vision
A simple insertion of a word changes the tone of a post. Now Surtur knows all he needs to know. Thanks Paul.
Should I read the edited post with a Mickey Mouse voice?

NemeBro
I know I did haha.

Branlor Swift
Should I read the edited post with a Mickey Mouse voice? I was thinking nervously really wanting to know. Mickey works too though.

Surtur and his Mickey Mouse rape questions

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by -Pr-

No, you're not insecure about your manhood at all, are you.

I didn't know we took Riv's threads serious, my friend.

-Pr-
What also happens a lot is that a girl drinks too much at a party, passes out unattended, and some loser rapes her in her sleep.

Yep, some really bad people out there.

laughing out loud

I didn't know we took Riv's threads serious, my friend.

I don't know if the thread was intended as serious or not, but the subject matter is.

Besides, I bet you love Cosmo with your nightly appletini.

Mindset
So the idea is that she's going to spill her drugged drink on her nails and it they'll change color? Or she could dip her finger into the drink...

meep-meep
More power to those guys.

Astner
Originally posted by Mindset
Or she could dip her finger into the drink...
"What are you doing?"

"Oh, I'm just checking if you drugged my drink."

Wouldn't it make more sense to have that paint on the umbrellas or stirring sticks that go into the drink then?

Bardock42
They exist: http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/daterape.htm

This is just more flashy and therefore gets more exposure.

Ushgarak
My main worry with this sort of thing is that it distracts from the problem.

I think the number of men who go around spiking drinks is very small- it's fiddly and unreliable and dangerous.

In comparison, I think the number of men pressuring women to get drunk out of their skulls and taking advantage of them when they are unable to consent is much, much larger.

Alcohol is the only drug predatory men need. The way to combat this issue is a combination of a. trying to discourage men from being predatory (though I've no idea how we solve that one) and b. education/awareness teaching for women to help them look out for and combat this behaviour when aimed at them.

Fancy gimmicks like this aren't really going to help anyone, so in the end it's just fleecing them for the money. Like parachutes for people in high buildings- just a way to take money from the worried without really solving an issue.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ushgarak
My main worry with this sort of thing is that it distracts from the problem.

I think the number of men who go around spiking drinks is very small- it's fiddly and unreliable and dangerous.

In comparison, I think the number of men pressuring women to get drunk out of their skulls and taking advantage of them when they are unable to consent is much, much larger.

Alcohol is the only drug predatory men need. The way to combat this issue is a combination of a. trying to discourage men from being predatory (though I've no idea how we solve that one) and b. education/awareness teaching for women to help them look out for and combat this behaviour when aimed at them.

Fancy gimmicks like this aren't really going to help anyone, so in the end it's just fleecing them for the money. Like parachutes for people in high buildings- just a way to take money from the worried without really solving an issue.

thumb up thumb up thumb up

The immense focus on this does detract from the more realistic problems and solutions. And that's also why I think the Rape Crisis center doesn't endorse this, because it is mostly missing the point.

-Pr-
I don't see how it detracts... I mean, we all know that drinking culture is a problem. If it helps one woman not get raped, then I think that the polish is a good idea.

We can tackle drinking culture AND offer these solutions at the same time, imo.

Ushgarak
The "if it helps one woman..." type of argument is always a dead end. It is not morally right to mass market a product based on extreme fringe cases- that stops being about safety and just about exploiting fears for money. In this particular case, I think it very likely gives people a false sense of safety against a very small problem at the very likely expense of awareness of a much bigger one, so ultimately this product could end up hurting far more than the theoretical 'one woman saved' idea.

Take a look at this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/6440589/Date-rape-drink-spiking-an-urban-legend.html

You see here how the fear of incredibly rare drugs is definitely taking the focus away from the very real alcohol issue. This is all part of that.

In particular this:

The reason why fear of drink-spiking has become widespread seems to be a mix of it being more convenient to guard against than the effects of alcohol itself and the fact that such stories are exotic – like a more adult version of 'stranger danger

and

We would be very interested in finding out whether the urban myth of spiking is also the result of parents feeling unable to discuss with their adult daughters how to manage drinking and sex and representing their anxieties about this through discussion of drink spiking risks.

Selling so-called counters to date rape drugs entrenches rather than deals with the issue.

-Pr-
The "if it helps one woman..." type of argument is always a dead end. It is not morally right to mass market a product based on extreme fringe cases- that stops being about safety and just about exploiting fears for money. In this particular case, I think it very likely gives people a false sense of safety against a very small problem at the very likely expense of awareness of a much bigger one, so ultimately this product could end up hurting far more than the theoretical 'one woman saved'. idea.

Take a look at this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/6440589/Date-rape-drink-spiking-an-urban-legend.html

Yu see here how the fear of incredibly rare drugs is definitely taking the focus away from the very real alcohol issue. This is all part of that.

In particular this:

We would be very interested in finding out whether the urban myth of spiking is also the result of parents feeling unable to discuss with their adult daughters how to manage drinking and sex and representing their anxieties about this through discussion of drink spiking risks.

Selling so-called counters to date rape drugs entrenches rather than deals with the issue.

Okay, first of all, I was obviously exaggerating. A smaller number of women would be helped, yes, but I think that's still a substantial enough amount to warrant mass marketing something like this, because people WILL drink, whether we want them to or not.

Like I said, drink culture is a huge problem. I just think there's room for both. I never argued that fear of hard drugs was taking away focus from alcohol. It is. I just think there's room for both to be approached.

Edit because you edited: Like I said, I think both can be approached. You can't just ignore the problems with hard drugs and put all your energy in to discouraging people from drinking too much either.

Ushgarak
First of all, you are fooling yourself if you think effort is infinite. Resources get split. What people pay attention to gets split. Promoting one message is always stronger than promoting two.

Secondly, that being so, if one problem is tiny and the other huge, then by a long way the reasonable and logical approach is to focus on the huge issue. Focussing on both does, overall, less good. In this case, there is a danger that focussing on drug rape- resulting in mass exaggeration and false perception- actually harms the broader focus on date rape in general.

Thirdly, no, I don't think this will help anything like enough women to justify its existence (because a. the problem does not really exist in the way the product advertises and b. because its effectiveness as a counter is questionable), and it will indeed distract from the actual issue, thus potentially endangering women.

There is no perfect world where you cover all the bases. Good-intentioned things often conflict.

In this case, this is dangerously buying into a myth that people will feel a false sense of security about- that is always dangerous.

-Pr-
First of all, you are fooling yourself if you think effort is infinite. Resources get split. What people pay attention to gets split. Promoting one message is always stronger than promoting two.

Secondly, that being so, if one problem is tiny and the other huge, then by a long way the reasonable and logical approach is to focus on the huge issue. Focussing on both does, overall, less good. In this case, there is a danger that focussing on drug rape- resulting in mass exaggeration and false perception- actually harms the broader focus on date rape in general.

Thirdly, no, I don't think this will help anything like enough women to justify its existence (because a. the problem does not really exist in the way the product advertises and b. because its effectiveness as a counter is questionable), and it will indeed distract from the actual issue, thus potentially endangering women.

There is no perfect world where you cover all the bases. Good-intentioned things often conflict.

In this case, this is dangerously buying into a myth that people will feel a false sense of security about- that is always dangerous.

Nobody is suggesting resources or effort are infinite. At least, I'm not.

So you can't give 5-10% of resources towards something like this, especially when we already have massive campaigns in both Ireland and England to discourage heavy drinking?

Also considering that anti-rape campaigns are generally kept separate from "drink sensibly" campaigns in the first place.

Ushgarak
The campaigns against heavy drinking still are not enough (they are also mis-managed, which is a separate issue). This remains a massive problem. So yes- definitely and without reservation, diverting 5-10% away to a tiny issue (I would say a fraction of one percent is its proportion) is dangerous- you harm more than you hurt. Remember they do not work in co-operation- the lurid and exotic nature of drug rape stories actively hurts the alcohol message (because alcohol is, basically, boring).

Selling products like this gives a false sense of security. Though to be honest, this product is too much of a small and trivial thing in of itself to be a big issue- it's just why I don't like it. It's representative of a bigger problem.

-Pr-
The campaigns against heavy drinking still are not enough (they are also mis-managed, which is a separate issue). This remains a massive problem. So yes- definitely and without reservation, diverting 5-10% away to a tiny issue (I would say a fraction of one percent is its proportion) is dangerous- you harm more than you hurt. Remember they do not work in co-operation- the lurid and exotic nature of drug rape stories actively hurts the alcohol message (because alcohol is, basically, boring).

Selling products like this gives a false sense of security. Though to be honest, this product is too much of a small and trivial thing in of itself to be a big issue- it's just why I don't like it. It's representative of a bigger problem.

The campaigns against drinking aren't enough, you're right, but they still, at least that I'm aware, get a lot more exposure than anti-drug or anti-rape campaigns. When I do sit down to watch TV on the odd occasion, I can't go two ad breaks without seeing an ad directed at discouraging people from heavy drinking.

Anyone who thinks that it's okay to drink heavily and then can turn around and say "oh, im wearing this nail polish, it's fine." isn't really the kind of person this product benefits anyway.

That said, I still think they can co-exist, especially seeing as how date-rape stories tend to focus, at least that I've seen, on the rape itself, and don't talk about cracking down on stuff like cocaine etc.

riv6672
I don't know if the thread was intended as serious or not....
This isnt the OTF, so, yeah. no expression

Branlor Swift
Anyone who thinks that it's okay to drink heavily and then can turn around and say "oh, im wearing this nail polish, it's fine." isn't really the kind of person this product benefits anyway. Yeah.

If someone is buying this special nail polish then you'd think it'd make them pretty worried about getting into a state where they get taken advantage of.

Also the biggest story around where I am was this guy spiking some virgin or something's drink and then getting the shit kicked out of him after he was done with her. She was a mess and someone was tending to her in a trailer (it was a huge party at the lake). I saw her before and after. Plus I've heard of a lot of cases of it but the people were so big into drugs that they didn't care. It's not like it doesn't exist. Hell my straight arrow male friend got drugged once. He did not know what was going on.

The nail polish is just trying to help some girls. It's a well intentioned product by people that think it will help. It's not going to stop alcholism or just outright rape but it will help in some capacity or at the very least make you extra careful. Also it's nail polish. You can't expect miracles from paint. It's not meant to be a cure all, it's just meant to help.

riv6672
This is the coolest thing i've ever seen you post.

Ionceknewu
Bet it doesn't work for chloroform or ether in a fake taxi cab. wink

ArtificialGlory
I think what justifies this product's existence is that not getting black-out drunk is obvious, while drugs in your drink are not.

Surtur

I don't get what I did wrong. I was basically asking if this is happening more at actual bars or if it was more at house parties or whatever.

riv6672
Dont mind Bran, he was failing to be funny.

Time Immemorial
Still laughing at your continuous butthurt.

riv6672
I'm sorry, the Poster you have reached, is not interested in your opinion. Please feel free to log off, then try again...laughing

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w344/riv6672/image_zpsl0jnqneb.jpg

Time Immemorial
If you had me on ignore you would not know I was talking to you.

Astner
If you had me on ignore you would not know I was talking to you.
He still reads your posts, like everyone with people on their ignore lists.

Bardock42
Astner, whom I have on ignore, is correct.

Q99
There's also cards you can use to test whether a drink has been drugged. Of course it can't be the duty of women to carry such things and test every drink they take, but if a woman wants to do that it's good she has the option.

I understand the worry that the lady from Rape Crisis voices, people always put blame on victims and this may be another piece in their arsenal to accuse women of failing to do. Obviously it is 100% the rapist or assaulters fault, and there's no blame to be put on the woman regardless of the circumstances. But that's sadly not how it often plays out.

I assume her reaction is based on dealing with rape cases and experiencing this blaming of rape victims first hand. So her view may be tainted by that and she wants to proactively come out and reiterate that while this option exists not using it doesn't and shouldn't put any blame on victims (which I'm sure has already happened by now).

I'll just second all this.

A lot of people view "how to deal with rape?" as something that should be answered with, "What tools can we give to women...?" (which isn't likely to reduce the actual numbers much, because rapists shift focus to more vulnerable targets), rather than, "How can we educate people- especially men- on how consent works and not to rape?"

I mean, the nailpolish is cool and all, but something like the Don't Be That Guy campaign cut rapes in an area by 10%, with posters. Think about that! Just putting up posters advising people what rape is, and telling them not to, had a double-digit percentage reduction.

The most effective method is education, and people should be aware of that, and the nailpolish, while neat, is the type of thing that some people would rather focus on instead of education.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Q99
I'll just second all this.

A lot of people view "how to deal with rape?" as something that should be answered with, "What tools can we give to women...?" (which isn't likely to reduce the actual numbers much, because rapists shift focus to more vulnerable targets), rather than, "How can we educate people- especially men- on how consent works and not to rape?"

I mean, the nailpolish is cool and all, but something like the Don't Be That Guy campaign cut rapes in an area by 10%, with posters. Think about that! Just putting up posters advising people what rape is, and telling them not to, had a double-digit percentage reduction.

The most effective method is education, and people should be aware of that, and the nailpolish, while neat, is the type of thing that some people would rather focus on instead of education.

thumb up

Ontario has had a really good campaign as well recently.

c2ZSZrGc-O8

riv6672
Astner, whom I have on ignore, is correct.
Hahaha!

The point if the pic is to show what i actually see, while you poor guys have to suffer and actually read TIs trash. smile

-Pr-
Yeah.

If someone is buying this special nail polish then you'd think it'd make them pretty worried about getting into a state where they get taken advantage of.

Also the biggest story around where I am was this guy spiking some virgin or something's drink and then getting the shit kicked out of him after he was done with her. She was a mess and someone was tending to her in a trailer (it was a huge party at the lake). I saw her before and after. Plus I've heard of a lot of cases of it but the people were so big into drugs that they didn't care. It's not like it doesn't exist. Hell my straight arrow male friend got drugged once. He did not know what was going on.

The nail polish is just trying to help some girls. It's a well intentioned product by people that think it will help. It's not going to stop alcholism or just outright rape but it will help in some capacity or at the very least make you extra careful. Also it's nail polish. You can't expect miracles from paint. It's not meant to be a cure all, it's just meant to help.

Exactly.

==

TBH, I find the whole "teach men not to rape" thing to be abhorrent, sexist, and borderline insulting. No, actually insulting.

But that's just imo, as I'm sure many will disagree.

riv6672
No, its pretty insulting.

Bardock42
It's not really insulting at all. Just a fact of what's wrong in society. Boys in our society are socialized in a way to violate women's boundaries and not even being aware of it. Teaching boys and men what rape is (i.e. not the tired old stranger jumping you in an alley myth) helps significantly to reduce rape. Not just because these men might not rape then, but also because men are able to spot and shut down this behaviour in others. Consent is something that needs to be taught much more thoroughly (actually to both genders, not just men, but it has a bigger impact when taught to men), it would lead to less rapes, and it would lead to more fulfilling relationships with women, which is a problem for many men.

riv6672
Thats very open minded of you. thumb up

Surtur
Plus hey, it's not just about male rape. WOMEN can commit rape too, especially against other women. Females raping males is also actually a thing, but most people don't want to focus on it.

Bardock42
While that can happen, it is much, much less common. At any rate, while it is often phrased in opposition to the common "what can women do to stop rape" the implementations are usually teaching both boys and girls about consent and teenagers and adults about respecting sexual boundaries.

Women raping men and boys (while, again much less common) has its own very specific set of problems, usually perpetrated by men congratulating the victim or celebrating the victims sexual prowess, which can confuse the victim and do a lot of emotional harm. You can see these displays regularly on KMC about "hot" teachers sleeping with their male students.

Surtur
Well I think they both face problems. Men with the whole "high fiving" and women face problems via their friends and family implying maybe it is their own fault.

Though I guess I'd wonder..if you are super into date rape and read about this..wouldn't you just find a drug the polish doesn't detect?

Astner
Originally posted by riv6672
Hahaha!

The point if the pic is to show what i actually see, while you poor guys have to suffer and actually read TIs trash. smile
Most of us don't suffer the OCD to read through everything that's posted.

Time Immemorial
Hahaha!

Don't you find it odd that everyone in CBVF says your posts are trash?

Time Immemorial
Hahaha!

If you had me on ignore, you would not bother posting" proof" you can't see what I post, directly responding to my posts.. Your only fooling yourself, trash poster 2015.

He still reads your posts, like everyone with people on their ignore lists.

Agreed.

-Pr-

Actually nvm.

NemeBro
While that can happen, it is much, much less common. At any rate, while it is often phrased in opposition to the common "what can women do to stop rape" the implementations are usually teaching both boys and girls about consent and teenagers and adults about respecting sexual boundaries.

Women raping men and boys (while, again much less common) has its own very specific set of problems, usually perpetrated by men congratulating the victim or celebrating the victims sexual prowess, which can confuse the victim and do a lot of emotional harm. You can see these displays regularly on KMC about "hot" teachers sleeping with their male students. I agree. When a man rapes a woman, it's a man's fault, and when a woman rapes a man, it is also a man's fault. thumb up

Surtur
I agree. When a man rapes a woman, it's a man's fault, and when a woman rapes a man, it is also a man's fault. thumb up

Yep, it just reminds me of the "Cracked" website. I don't know how many people here read it and IMO it has gone drastically down in quality in the last few years. But anyways, recently(within the last year) they had two articles. One talking about female rape and another talking about a man getting raped by a woman. These were not released on the same day, but they did have people who were a victim of rape that they talked to in each article.

So the one about the man getting raped..they had to actually close down the comments section for that article. For those not familiar with Cracked, this RARELY happens and that should tell you something, because the comments section there rivals youtube in the type of stuff you get and yet they rarely close the comments. Yet there was so much hate against this article and this guy..they had to close the comment section. In fact, the only other article I recall having the comments section closed was one about pedophiles or something. But not "traditional" ones, but rather people who were labeled "pedophiles" due to a case of statutory rape.

Side note, they did eventually open up the comment section back up for the article some months later.

riv6672
Most of us don't suffer the OCD to read through everything that's posted.
Most of us dont cyber stalk eachother across two boards for over 6 months after getting put on ignore, "expose" each other's real names, attack eachother's wife, kids, parents, and go on racial tirades.
Most of us.
So, when some of us have a little fun by occasionslly posting a screencap, they enjoy the self important reactions of their fellow posters at them doing so.

laughing out loud

riv6672
Yep, it just reminds me of the "Cracked" website. I don't know how many people here read it and IMO it has gone drastically down in quality in the last few years. But anyways, recently(within the last year) they had two articles. One talking about female rape and another talking about a man getting raped by a woman. These were not released on the same day, but they did have people who were a victim of rape that they talked to in each article.

So the one about the man getting raped..they had to actually close down the comments section for that article. For those not familiar with Cracked, this RARELY happens and that should tell you something, because the comments section there rivals youtube in the type of stuff you get and yet they rarely close the comments. Yet there was so much hate against this article and this guy..they had to close the comment section. In fact, the only other article I recall having the comments section closed was one about pedophiles or something. But not "traditional" ones, but rather people who were labeled "pedophiles" due to a case of statutory rape.

Side note, they did eventually open up the comment section back up for the article some months later.
Damn, seriously?
Wish i'd read these and seen the reactions. Havent been on Cracked in the longest time...

Time Immemorial
Most of us dont cyber stalk eachother across two boards for over 6 months after getting put on ignore, "expose" each other's real names, attack eachother's wife, kids, parents, and go on racial tirades.
Most of us.
So, when some of us have a little fun by occasionslly posting a screencap, they enjoy the self important reactions of their fellow posters at them doing so.

laughing out loud

How would you know, you have me on ignore remember..your not fooling anyone but yourself. Its fun to make you work extra hard to read my posts and then say you cant see them, then come and cry about it revealing you have been reading them.

Retard.

riv6672
Cant hear a word you're saying. big grin

Time Immemorial
Wasn't talking to you, jackoff.

-Pr-
Yes you were.

nice of you guys to stay on topic, btw.

Time Immemorial
Yes you were.

nice of you guys to stay on topic, btw.

Pointing out what?

-Pr-
Pointing out what?

you quoted him in your post, then said you weren't talking to him.

Time Immemorial
you quoted him in your post, then said you weren't talking to him.

Shhh. Don't tell him I wasn't talking to him.

Q99
Exactly.

==

TBH, I find the whole "teach men not to rape" thing to be abhorrent, sexist, and borderline insulting. No, actually insulting.

But that's just imo, as I'm sure many will disagree.

The thing is, it feels insulting because of the idea it's needed, right?

But, the effectiveness shows it is needed, and the fact that men don't know this stuff is abhorrent and means there's sexism there already.

I mean, you're educated about consent, sure. But it's not something that just naturally occurs, and you shouldn't be offended by the idea that not everyone is taught it independently.

There's a lot of stuff we aren't taught and have to learn! We all learned stealing is wrong, after all. That's a taught thing.

Education being necessary is nothing to fight or be insulted about. If they already know it, great! If not, that's what it's there for!

And the idea that we shouldn't educate because guys will find it insulting.... well, I find that a much bigger insult to guys than any education on the matter could hope to be.

I agree. When a man rapes a woman, it's a man's fault, and when a woman rapes a man, it is also a man's fault. thumb up

Rather shows how the patriarchal views on the sexes hurt everyone. Men are the do-er, men are the sexual beings, etc... and thus, the times it does happen, they have it denied, told they should be *happy* to get laid, etc., because part of rape culture is 'rape is a thing that happens all the time... to women.' So to the guys who do it, they think it's normal (an interesting statistic I learned from interviews with rapists in prison- Non-rapist men often think the number of men who are rapists is 1/100 or similarly tiny numbers, much less than the case. Convinced rapists gave numbers like one half of all guys), and to the guys who have it done to them, they're left isolated and often with little idea where to turn. They're victimized in a way they're told doesn't happen, often to their faces when they try and tell someone, or have it taken completely backwards as a (shudder) *good* thing.

The gender roles that feminism fights against, hurts women, but it doesn't hurt just women. Which is why many feminist sites will also point to male abuse victim hotlines.

Women get shamed and victim-blamed, men get told they liked it and wanted it, and society's attitudes on rape and consent need a fixing all around.

Time Immemorial
Yes everything is insulting these days.

marwash22
women can't rape men. you gais are cray.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Q99
The thing is, it feels insulting because of the idea it's needed, right?

But, the effectiveness shows it is needed, and the fact that men don't know this stuff is abhorrent and means there's sexism there already.

I mean, you're educated about consent, sure. But it's not something that just naturally occurs, and you shouldn't be offended by the idea that not everyone is taught it independently.

There's a lot of stuff we aren't taught and have to learn! We all learned stealing is wrong, after all. That's a taught thing.

Education being necessary is nothing to fight or be insulted about. If they already know it, great! If not, that's what it's there for!

And the idea that we shouldn't educate because guys will find it insulting.... well, I find that a much bigger insult to guys than any education on the matter could hope to be.

That's not what I was talking about.

I have no problem with education. I just think it should be aimed at both genders. Educate young boys about female bodily autonomy. Sounds good.

All I'm saying is, do the same for girls, because girls get pretty bad too, and can tend to have very similar "entitlement" issues. Actually no, entitlement is the wrong word. Disrespect is a better one.

We're all supposed to respect each other, but pretending that one half of the population doesn't do the shit it does, doesn't help anyone. In the long run, anyway.

Also, I should clarify: I mean the right kind of education. Not some of the weird shit that's been peddled of late.

riv6672
What kind of weird stuff? What are you referring to when you say that, if you dont mind my asking.

-Pr-
The "enthusiastic consent" silliness, for example. It treats adults like children, which I find just plain weird.

marwash22
The Nail polish seems redundant, 'cause from what i understand, the female body has ways of shutting that whole thing down when someone tries to legitimately rape them.

riv6672

-Pr-

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.