Leader of NAACP chapter exposed as caucasian

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

marwash22
Race of Rachel Dolezal, head of Spokane NAACP, comes under question

oKRj_h7vmMM

laughing out loud

i love this sista.

-Pr-
I saw that... WTF.

riv6672
Read about this. Reminded me of TV's Ann Perkins, but in reverse.

vansonbee
This was one smart lady, she knew the black community is now the biggest entitled group in America. She just wants a piece of the pie (victim status).

riv6672
^^^jealous stick out tongue

Time Immemorial
People are just jealous.

Some white people are born black, just like some males are born female, like Jenner. I don't see the big deal.

Lestov16
I wasn't aware you had to be black to be the leader of the NAACP. they've obviously allowed her to serve for her credentials rather than her race. If they discriminated based on race, wouldn't that be hypocritical?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Lestov16
I wasn't aware you had to be black to be the leader of the NAACP. they've obviously allowed her to serve for her credentials rather than her race. If they discriminated based on race, wouldn't that be hypocritical?
Technically a chapter leader.

Here's my take: the issue isn't that disguising yourself as another race is wrong, just that the level of this one woman's lies and masquerading are incredible.

Time Immemorial

Well said, Reverse Discrimination in full swing.

Omega Vision
An issue we have to consider is that her educational credentials were won on false pretenses. She went to school on a minority scholarship.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Omega Vision
An issue we have to consider is that her educational credentials were won on false pretenses. She went to school on a minority scholarship.

She identifies as a black woman, are we now discriminating on peoples feelings and identities? If she wants to say she's black, I don't see a problem with it. Color is skin deep.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
She identifies as a black woman, are we now discriminating on peoples feelings?
It's more involved than that. People who identify as transgender don't invent stories about their parentage or make up stories about their lives to advance in academia. She claimed that her step-dad sexually abused her (according to her parents, she never had a step-dad), had pictures of a fake family to try to prove she was black, and claimed her adopted black brother as her own son. That's not discriminating against people's feelings, it's called judging a fraud harshly, there shouldn't be anything controversial about it.

riv6672

Time Immemorial
It's more involved than that. People who identify as transgender don't invent stories about their parentage or make up stories about their lives to advance in academia. She claimed that her step-dad sexually abused her (according to her parents, she never had a step-dad), had pictures of a fake family to try to prove she was black, and claimed her adopted black brother as her own son. That's not discriminating against people's feelings, it's called judging a fraud harshly, there shouldn't be anything controversial about it.

I didn't know this is the first time someone has been caught lying. I mean someone would just not go and lie about things right?

Omega Vision
I didn't know this is the first time someone has been caught lying. I mean someone would just not go and lie about things right?
Not sure what your point is in this post beyond just contradicting me. thumb up

Time Immemorial
Not sure what your point is in this post beyond just contradicting me. thumb up

Irony

Omega Vision

riv6672
No, the university that gave her the scholarship definitely has a big role in this mess. They assumed she was black, apparently only on the basis of her art portfolio being exclusively African American portraits. That's just a stupid and racist assumption on their part.
Exactly.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by vansonbee
This was one smart lady, she knew the black community is now the biggest entitled group in America. She just wants a piece of the pie (victim status).

gr8 b8 m8! i r8 8/8!

marwash22
Technically a chapter leader.

Here's my take: the issue isn't that disguising yourself as another race is wrong, just that the level of this one woman's lies and masquerading are incredible. yah, her frabricated history is the problem here, not the work she has done. She took it to the extremes too... claiming to be an actual spear-chucker. lmao.

Surtur

This makes you wonder..you always hear people saying white people will soon be a minority in this country(or that it has happened already). Once this happens, can you have minority scholarships for white people?

Time Immemorial
I think she's a example that if you lie enough in life, you can achieve you dreams, even becoming a in charge black woman.

Surtur
Reading the article finding a motive is difficult. She could of just decided "I'm black because profit" one day. On the other hand..she has this adopted brother who is black, and apparently abusive parents. I don't know,maybe she was abused and found solace with her black bro to the point she convinced herself she is black? I think she knows she isn't black, but still in her mind perhaps "identifies" with them more? Or it could just be a scam.

On the other hand I probably would of stopped the scam once people started hanging nooses on my house. I did chuckle at her "I've been to Mississippi, I know what a noose means!" line. Could she maybe not of guessed what a noose being put on a supposed black persons house would mean without ever having been to that state.

My only other issue is that you had some saying "transracial" can't be a thing because a black person can't just say "I'm white" and be taken as white. To be fair, this woman isn't just saying "I'm black". She took some steps to somewhat alter herself. I could right now say I'm black and people would believe me about as much as if I said I'm from Krypton.

marwash22
This really is the best case of cutural appropriation I've ever heard of tho. This chick is so not racist, that she infiltrated the ethnic group in effort to help them from within.

ya'll need to leave this beautiful black woman alone.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by marwash22
This really is the best case of cutural appropriation I've ever heard of tho. This chick is so not racist, that she infiltrated the ethnic group in effort to help them from within.

Agree 100%

riv6672

Or, in today's world, give her a reality series...

ArtificialGlory
https://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/wtf5.jpg

Robtard
That guy is a satirist, or at least calls himself one.

Bashar Teg
any piece of satire that needs to state that "it's not a joke" is a failure.

Mindset

ya'll need to leave this beautiful black woman alone. laughing out loud

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Robtard
That guy is a satirist, or at least calls himself one.

Well, I for one think he's a strong, handsome black man trying to find his way in this transracist world.

Surtur

Makes you wonder though, is it actually racist to call this white woman white?

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Surtur
Makes you wonder though, is it actually racist to call this white woman white?

It would be transracist.

marwash22
Makes you wonder though, is it actually racist to call this white woman white? a guy (Charlamagne tha God, a radio personality) made a similar point to this, saying that if it's okay to accept a man who identifies as a woman, why shouldn't we accept a white person who identifies as black.

Mindset
I self-identify as Vegeta, the Prince of all Saiyans.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Mindset
I self-identify as Vegeta, the Prince of all Saiyans.

A Charleton

Robtard
The nonsense aside, the way she went about it with lies and playing the victim shits on the people who actually have a legitimate self-identity issue.

Omega Vision
This makes you wonder..you always hear people saying white people will soon be a minority in this country(or that it has happened already). Once this happens, can you have minority scholarships for white people?
The point of minority scholarships is to ensure that disadvantaged groups are given opportunities. Even if white people become the minority in America, whites will still be relatively better off if economic trends hold, so it wouldn't be the same thing.

riv6672
Originally posted by Robtard
The nonsense aside, the way she went about it with lies and playing the victim shits on the people who actually have a legitimate self-identity issue.
Never gave this subject much thought, other than in a joking sense; gonna have to research it.

Bardock42
Jamelle Bouie is, as always, fantastic:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2015/06/ rachel_dolezal_claims_to_be_black_the_naacp_offici
al_was_part_of_the_african.html

Bardock42
The edit doesn't work right, but here's the little snippet again, hope it works

krisblaze
The point of minority scholarships is to ensure that disadvantaged groups are given opportunities. Even if white people become the minority in America, whites will still be relatively better off if economic trends hold, so it wouldn't be the same thing.

Exactly.

Which is why there are no jew scholarships.

riv6672
Oy. Vos iz shlekht . Ir zol zayn farshemt !!!! laughing out loud

Surtur
Well now we come to more bizarre things though. It seems that you can only become a trans..whatever, if you're taking on some kind of burden? It's bad for her to say she is black because she isn't taking on that burden(though chick has had nooses left on her damn door, I know plenty of black people who have never had that). Admittedly it is probably less to do with just being black and more "you are black and in the NAACP".

So what about a white female woman who decides to become a man? Or that she is a man? White men don't really suffer burdens in this country. Yet is it any less legit? Or even to look at Caitlyn Jenner, I'm sure she will have to deal with burdens from being TRANSGENDER, but she didn't grow up with the same burdens most females do.

riv6672
You are nailing it, man. Well put.

Time Immemorial
Well now we come to more bizarre things though. It seems that you can only become a trans..whatever, if you're taking on some kind of burden? It's bad for her to say she is black because she isn't taking on that burden(though chick has had nooses left on her damn door, I know plenty of black people who have never had that). Admittedly it is probably less to do with just being black and more "you are black and in the NAACP".

So what about a white female woman who decides to become a man? Or that she is a man? White men don't really suffer burdens in this country. Yet is it any less legit? Or even to look at Caitlyn Jenner, I'm sure she will have to deal with burdens from being TRANSGENDER, but she didn't grow up with the same burdens most females do.

Exactly I said the same thing.

People are just jealous.

Some white people are born black, just like some males are born female, like Jenner. I don't see the big deal.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by krisblaze
Exactly.

Which is why there are no jew scholarships.
I'm unclear on the status of Asian American scholarships, but if they exist it's as weird as if there were "white scholarships."

riv6672
http://www.apiasf.org

Lestov16
Meh. As a black man, I find what she is doing to be stupid and unintentionally offensive and counter productive, and entirely unrelated to LGBT issues. The fight against racism hinges on the concept that race is an irrelevant social concept and all people have inherent egalitarian value regardless of how much melatonin is in your skin.

Gender and race are entirely different. A man wishing to be a woman is practically desiring an entirely new chemical make up and "reproductive" organ system. Wanting to be another race though, is just retarded counterproductive thinking. You shouldn't "feel black", because objectively, all races are equal since the concept of race is again meaningless. By desiring to be a different race, you aren't preaching equality, you are unwittingly acknowledging that there is an objective inequality between races, which defeats the entire purpose of the fight for equal rights for all.

This woman is well intentioned, but very stupid, and may have possibly set a dangerous precedent. I can understand admiring black culture, but lying about undergoing struggles stereotypical of blacks and posing as black to get a scholarship like a female Soul Man seems a bit extreme and arguably unintentionally racist. If she really wanted to feel equal to blacks, it involves not seeing an objective difference between black and white and not seeing race as a barrier, which she clearly did since she felt she had to change herself and lie to overcome it.

It's like trying to ally with the Chinese government by posing as Fu Manchu. It just defeats the purpose.

Time Immemorial
Now your discriminating against what people feel though right?

Yes she lied, like much of the rest of the world does when they try and get something they want. Enlisting before the age of 18, lying about income to receive food stamps and welfare, claiming dependents that are not your own, claiming a different address to put your child in a different school.

Color is skin deep. Where is male and female is completely different.

If a person identifies as black, so be it.

And literally she has not done anything counterproductive, she's helped the cause.

KingD19
You can't simply "identify" as black though. Because "Black" is a long history of struggle and hardship that stands to this day. Things she can't claim as a white woman. You can't just equate race and gender because the concept of being one thing and feeling another are the same. All it takes to become a different gender technically is surgery and hormone pills. And even then, you're still not truly a different gender. You just look and feel different. A woman who became a man can't impregnate another woman. A man who became a woman can't give birth.

You can't just be another race. I can't just bleach my skin, put on a blond wig and call myself white. I don't magically gain all the privilege white people have in the US. I won't suddenly stop being profiled and harassed.

It doesn't work that way. It just doesn't. And on top of all that, the way she went about it is just wrong. She basically lied to everyone and put on a very dedicated black face for a few years.

Mindset
Originally posted by KingD19
You can't simply "identify" as black though. Because "Black" is a long history of struggle and hardship that stands to this day. Things she can't claim as a white woman. You can't just equate race and gender because the concept of being one thing and feeling another are the same. All it takes to become a different gender technically is surgery and hormone pills. And even then, you're still not truly a different gender. You just look and feel different. A woman who became a man can't impregnate another woman. A man who became a woman can't give birth.

You can't just be another race. I can't just bleach my skin, put on a blond wig and call myself white. I don't magically gain all the privilege white people have in the US. I won't suddenly stop being profiled and harassed.

It doesn't work that way. It just doesn't. And on top of all that, the way she went about it is just wrong. She basically lied to everyone and put on a very dedicated black face for a few years. Look at this trans-racist.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Mindset
Look at this trans-racist.

Yup

riv6672
Meh. As a black man, I find what she is doing to be stupid and unintentionally offensive and counter productive, and entirely unrelated to LGBT issues. The fight against racism hinges on the concept that race is an irrelevant social concept and all people have inherent egalitarian value regardless of how much melatonin is in your skin.

Gender and race are entirely different. A man wishing to be a woman is practically desiring an entirely new chemical make up and "reproductive" organ system. Wanting to be another race though, is just retarded counterproductive thinking. You shouldn't "feel black", because objectively, all races are equal since the concept of race is again meaningless. By desiring to be a different race, you aren't preaching equality, you are unwittingly acknowledging that there is an objective inequality between races, which defeats the entire purpose of the fight for equal rights for all.

This woman is well intentioned, but very stupid, and may have possibly set a dangerous precedent. I can understand admiring black culture, but lying about undergoing struggles stereotypical of blacks and posing as black to get a scholarship like a female Soul Man seems a bit extreme and arguably unintentionally racist. If she really wanted to feel equal to blacks, it involves not seeing an objective difference between black and white and not seeing race as a barrier, which she clearly did since she felt she had to change herself and lie to overcome it.

It's like trying to ally with the Chinese government by posing as Fu Manchu. It just defeats the purpose.

I have to agree with a lot of that to one degree or another. Gender and race, completely different.
Fu Manchu, evil genius.

dadudemon
I really enjoyed this thread. Especially TI's comments.

Great thread, TI. thumb up

riv6672
This thread was made possible by the generous donations of the NAACP. smile

Surtur
In this new world where we praise a guy for becoming a girl, can we really also then sit back and say "you can be a man who becomes a woman, but not a white woman who becomes a black woman".

I'm not saying gender and race are the same, but I'm saying what gives us the right to draw that line? But then see..we obviously do need a line drawn. What happens when some crazy f*ck begins self identifying as a lion or a horse or something?

riv6672
My guess is that person dies an embaressing sexually deviant death...sad

Omega Vision
Now your discriminating against what people feel though right?

Yes she lied, like much of the rest of the world does when they try and get something they want. Enlisting before the age of 18, lying about income to receive food stamps and welfare, claiming dependents that are not your own, claiming a different address to put your child in a different school.

Color is skin deep. Where is male and female is completely different.

If a person identifies as black, so be it.

And literally she has not done anything counterproductive, she's helped the cause.
The thing about race, and why it's so problematic, is that it's more about how others identify you than how you identify yourself.

Mindset
In this new world where we praise a guy for becoming a girl, can we really also then sit back and say "you can be a man who becomes a woman, but not a white woman who becomes a black woman".

I'm not saying gender and race are the same, but I'm saying what gives us the right to draw that line? But then see..we obviously do need a line drawn. What happens when some crazy f*ck begins self identifying as a lion or a horse or something? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species_dysphoria

riv6672
The thing about race, and why it's so problematic, is that it's more about how others identify you than how you identify yourself.
Thats a good point.
I often got really strange reactions in the Army when i wrote down my religion as Asatru.

riv6672
The Nightly Show was all OVER this story last night.
It was nice seeing this story treated to the satire it is tailor made for.

Surtur
But if it does come down to public perception then it makes people look bad if they can accept a dude becoming a dudette but not this.

We heap loads of praise on Caitlyn Jenner, but this woman is criticized because she apparently lied about race in order to get a job or whatever. The problem is that Jenner himself comes from a family of notorious media whores, meaning if we are going to play "she didn't do it for the right reasons" then it's hard for us to say you couldn't say the same thing about Caitlyn. Was she trying to raise awareness of transgender issues or was she trying to raise awareness of Caitlyn Jenner?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.