Count Dooku

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

enoughsoup
Hi All

Apologies if this has come up before but here goes:

Once the Clone Wars have kicked off, why does Dooku make mention of his Master on Coruscant to Poggle the Lesser? (He does this when collecting the Death Star plans). Isn't Dooku the head of a genuine Separatist movement in Poggle's eyes?

It just grates a bit for me ,and causes me more worries than Dooku's revelation of Darth Sidious controlling the Senate to Obi Wan.

yerssot
Poggle is in it for the money, he has the droidfactory

enoughsoup
Agreed, Poggle is no political idealist, no more than Dooku, but Dooku says, "My Master will never allow the Republic to get away with such treachery," once the clones have attacked, suggesting he's still feigning ignorance of these matters for Poggle's benefit, rather than it being apparent he is one of the orchestrators of the creation of the clones. Then straight after, he collects the Death Star plans and says they'll be safer with his Master. Why make mention of a master at all to Poggle?

I just can't quite make sense of it.

big cahoona
Perhaps to give him the impression that everything is under control?

finti
or tell him that someone more powerful than himself is in charge

enoughsoup
So is Poggle aware of Dooku's true position and machinations?

yerssot
yes, think so

enoughsoup
Perhaps, what it comes down to then is I don't understand why Dooku says, "My Master will never allow the Republic to get away with such treachery," in this case. Any ideas?

yerssot
doubt poggle would be happy if dooku said
"hey, gonna start the war on your planet and destroy the army you created"

enoughsoup
...which suggests that Poggle isn't aware of Dooku's true machinations(!)...sorry if I'm being thick but i just can't get my head round it.

yerssot
yup, he does know a lot about it though, imho

enoughsoup
Hmmmm...

It seems that Poggle is caught between the two viewpoints Dooku wishes to give out. On the one hand we have the Neimoidians, surely believing Dooku's stance as the Separatist leader, (the irony of Nute Gunray being manipulated by Sidious again), and on the other Jango Fett, fully aware of what is really going on, (fundamental to the Republic's army and then slinking off to be by the side of this army's perceived foe - Dooku and the Separatists).

I believe this because it makes the most sense and nothing is said to contradict it or muddy the waters. Fett is a true mercenary, indifferent to the grand power struggles going on, and so will play his part. The greedy Trade Federation have a genuine greivance with the Republic and are all too keen to join a Separatist movement against it, together with the Commerce Guilds and Banking Clans.

But some confusion is created as I see it by Dooku's words to Poggle. Either Poggle is aware, like Fett, as to what really is going on, but then we have the problem of the "my Master will never allow the Republic to get away with such treachery" line; or he's like the Trade Federation and feels he's contributing to a genuine revolt aginst the Republic by Dooku, in which case why does Dooku weaken himself and talk about returning to his Master in front of Poggle?; something, I'm sure he wouldn't do in front of Gunray.

There's something about that little war-room scene shortly after the attack of the clones that jars with me.

yerssot
just poggle knowing dooku isn't the one pulling the strings and can't be blamed for the failling?

Ushgarak
The Geonosians have designed the Death Star and as Poggle has said, they are doomed if the Republic finds this out.

They are obviously in this for the hardcore conquest rather than idealism so it is not at all unlikely that Dooku has said "You want the Republic? Well I am Mr. Sith so join up with me and we shall make it happen."

But not even Poggle knew that Dooku had set the Clones in motion to be used AGAINST the Geonosians and give him the excuse to nab the Death Star Plans for himself.

enoughsoup
Sounds pretty good Ushgarak.

Sometimes, you can't see the wood for the trees.

GordonSkywalker
This does enhance the complex character of Dooku by having him reveal such tidbits of information here and there.

LaurenE147
I wonder how he's keeping the secret that he's not at the top of his food chain?

GordonSkywalker
No one need know that he serves Palpatine. Not until it is too late for them to do anything about it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.