Transformers Devastation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
http://www.superherohype.com/news/343643-return-to-the-original-animated-series-in-transformers-devastation#/slide/1

Tzeentch
>cell-shaded

Was Platinum the dev-team that made war/fall of Cybertron?

Kazenji
Nope, That was High Moon Studios.

Tzeentch
dang

Edit- lol, apparently HMS was bought by activision after they made Fall of Cybertron and then was neutered into impotency immediately after finishing Deadpool. God I hate the video game industry.

Lek Kuen
Originally posted by Tzeentch
>cell-shaded

Was Platinum the dev-team that made war/fall of Cybertron?

Platinum made bayonetta and wonderful 101

Kazenji
I quite like Cel-Shaded when its done right.

jinXed by JaNx
I think Cell shading will take away some of the edge that WFC and FOC established.

Kazenji
Vg2nIc8JZNg

Kazenji
rCJJYMsgSsk

Kazenji
wWkm-3nQxLA

cdtm
Originally posted by Lek Kuen
Platinum made bayonetta and wonderful 101

Also Metal Gear Rising and Vanquish, and has ties to Okami and God Hand...

I believe they also did Legend of Korra, which I've never played but heard had things about.

But I like Platinum's style, and love G1, so TFbig grin is a must buy for me.

Estacado
This looks sexay!
Too bad we have no playable Decepticons....sad

cdtm
Originally posted by Estacado
This looks sexay!
Too bad we have no playable Decepticons....sad

Unless you count the Nemesis Prime skin for Optimus. wink

Kazenji
From what i've seen its awesome with what Platnium games has done with the G1 stuff.

cdtm
Originally posted by Kazenji
From what i've seen its awesome with what Platnium games has done with the G1 stuff.

After playing through chapter 1, it is!

I thought the visuals were a little funky, at first. Almost has an "uncanny valley" vibe the way it tries to mimmick the 'toon, but ends up looking like cgi pretending.

But you get used to it. And the story is definately something out of the 1980's cheese, in a good way.

Gameplay itself is, as expected, brutal. I played enough Platinum games where I acclimated fairly quickly, and can clear encounters without much trouble (Scoring a C on average, sometimes a B, and once or twice an A..) But I can only imagine how much trouble a Transformers fan that's never played a Platinum game will have.. The learning curve isn't exactly a gentle slope for newcomers.

cdtm
I can't find much hype about this game outside of the ps4 section at gamefaqs. And there is NO talk from last gen owners, which I assume many still are.

Most of the Transformers fans I know who couldn't stop talking about War for Cybertron or Fall of Cybertron don't seem to have much interest in getting this..

Add this one into the pile of criminally underrated games that include God Hand, I guess..

Estacado
It's a really sweet hack n slash game!
The costumization is nice!
Boss battles are cool!

Level design is pretty meh though....

Currently at chapter 5.

Grimlock is my fave character so far.

I dig that you get the main weapon of each boss after defeating them.

Kazenji
I

Level design is pretty meh though....

Well they attempted to go for the G1 style like the old cartoon, Personally i think they nailed it.

Estacado
Not the visuals more.like the structure.

Anyways game is awesome.

Just got Shockwave's gun.

Estacado
Game is roughly 6 hours long with 50 challenges.

Just got star sabre and fusion cannon for.finishing it

Estacado
Beat the game again on Commander difficulty with Optimus.
I prefer his special and combos over Grimlock's he feels much better to play.
(Grimlock cant do the alt form rush combos...sad)

Unlocked Magnus difficulty.
You can also lvl up to lvl 60 once you do so.

On challenge 49 you can easily grind lvl S weapons if you do it on Magnus.

Right now I have a few S lvl weapons that are not even maxed out yet they do like 7000-8000 damage per hit.
I can 2 shot most of the bosses on easy.

Wonder how much damage the SS ones can do gonna do some grindin then I will beat the game again.

Easily one of the best transformer games.

jinXed by JaNx

Easily one of the best transformer games.

After, War of Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron which makes it third. So yeah, Saying its' easily the third best game in the series is a more than fair statement.

Estacado
While the gameplay is easily the best I too liked the mendtioned 2 games better. smile

Took me a ton of grindin on challenge 49 but got a few SS lvl weapons.

I have an SS Star Sabre with roughly 15000+ damage a moded fusion canon with around 10000+ damage 45 rouds both are lvl 50 now.

Really wanna get an SS hammer wonder how powerful they are.

Still sad that I cant play as Shockwave,Megatron or Soudwave....sad

Estacado
Just beat the story on Prime difficulty.

Maxed out Optimus .He has all his stats at lvl99.

Have tons of SS weapons now with them even Prime was a walk in the park Took me only like 2 hours to go through the chapters.

jinXed by JaNx
I don't know man. I don't think this game is very good and i would be hard-pressed to recommend it. The G-! Transformers licensing is the only thing this game has going for it. The level designs are small and cumbersome but worst yet, empty and uninspired. You always feel like you're looking at the same area through each chapter. you're always fighting in an open designated fight zone with no destructibility. The combat system is ok but becomes redundant very quickly. Aside from the production value of the character designs it feels like a budget title. This would be ok if this were the first, Transformers game we saw in the last ten years but coming off of two incredible games like, WFC and FOC, this is hardly acceptable.

cdtm
The production values are pretty low end, but so was Rising and God Hand.. It's kind of how Platinum rolls.

For my money, the gameplay's really good. Not Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden good, but certainly on par with anything else in the genre.

Beat 'em up's are kind of niche though. If you're not God of War or Devil May Cry, you're more or less in the "Not for everybody" category by default.

That goes for almost all Platinum titles.

cdtm
On Grimlock, one thing that's working for me is combo>transform>dino charge>transform>combo.

Modify with defense as needed, but you can keep looping through that cycle pretty easily.

cdtm
Seems like the shove motion also initiates a dino tackle/charge (<,>,heavy attack)

You don't even need to hit to get the transform prompt. But it also doesn't happen all the time. I think it only happens in "overdrive" mode.

BloodRawEngine
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I don't know man. I don't think this game is very good and i would be hard-pressed to recommend it. The G-! Transformers licensing is the only thing this game has going for it. The level designs are small and cumbersome but worst yet, empty and uninspired. You always feel like you're looking at the same area through each chapter. you're always fighting in an open designated fight zone with no destructibility. The combat system is ok but becomes redundant very quickly. Aside from the production value of the character designs it feels like a budget title. This would be ok if this were the first, Transformers game we saw in the last ten years but coming off of two incredible games like, WFC and FOC, this is hardly acceptable.

Besides the fact that the game's setting on the levels essentially ARE in the same general area throughout the campaign is one fo the reasons for that. How that's a problem when it does nothing to hinder the gameplay (and in fact accentuates it a little better), I don't see, let alone has "open designated areas with no destructibility" never really been a necessary staple among the genre or the company's main approach in favor of combo-heavy action, which is still by the truckload (no pun intended) in this game. If anything, sticking to the one general area for the campaign is about the ONLY aspect that strikes it as a budget title, seeing as the rest of the game screams Platinum flair in its combat and scope therein.

Also, having played the Cybertron games, I gotta say they're FAR from "amazing" they'e only so good at first glance to me becasue of how mediocre the movie tie-in games were and that the last decent one before them was the Transformers Aramada title from years ago. I also really hated the general design of those games.

cdtm
Man, mission 14 is just so much fun. Taking on all five Autobots in a boss rush could have been paid dlc.

And the drops are ridiculous. I was getting two or three S drops on COMMANDER difficulty.

Tore them up with an S burn hammer, pretending Grimlocks on one of his rampages from the G1 toon.

Estacado
It's kinda shitty that Grimlock only has 2 slots for the enhancers while Optimus has like 6.

Try Prime difficulty you will be getting ss weapons every 2 seconds in the challenge missions.

Moded fusion canon ss and star sabre ss are easily the 2 best weapons.

cdtm
Love the fusion cannon. Good damage, but the shields the real prize. Goes good with Devastator Gloves charging.

cdtm
I'll be going back to story mode now. I've been so caught up in the challenges, been neglecting the story. Beat Constructicon and Stunticon challenges on commander with C weapons and zero upgrades.

Never did see the point of maxing out upgrades for higher difficulties, effectively making them less hard then lower difficulties pre upgrade. smile

Plus, tackling challenges while underpowered really helps to refine the combat mechanics.

Estacado
Nah dude..
Moded fusion canon.
It's a laser shotgun if you get an ss version of it bump it to lvl 50.You can 3-4 shot anybody on prime if you can bullet time headshot them.
It's better then any of the weapons even the Star Sabre.

Focus headshots also allow you to get SS rank easier.

Unlocking Prime allows you to boost stats to 99.

I maxed.out Optimus and Grimlock.

cdtm
Been all melee, but I've started using effects based items like the loudspeaker, and am thinking about trying an all ranged weapons run..

And is there any way to engage focus without having to dodge something?

Estacado
Nah.
If you want bullet time focus.

Press lt and rb together.

Instead of the blue screen you get a max payne like side jump with aiming.

cdtm
I'm actually having a lot of trouble scoring points for a high rank. Kind of harder to build up combos then it was in the challenges.

So far, my only S came against two of the constructicons.

Estacado
If you do nothing else but score focus headshots the SS rankiis guaranteed.

cdtm
If you do nothing else but score focus headshots the SS rankiis guaranteed.

Looks like Grimlock can't do the Max Payne dodge. sad

Tested it with B, and it works great. Going to assume Bee, Wheeljack, and Sideswipe can do the trick, and Prime can't.

Headshots are 20 points a pop, right? Low end automatic/blaster and a lot of dodging should make it easy, like you say.

For Grimlock though, who I'm maining this run....? Probably too much trouble to try S ranking.

Estacado
Havent tried it with Grimlock im sure he can do it.

Optimus can do it that's for sure he is my main.

To correctly do it press rb first then quickly lt.
I just press it together cause it seems easier to me.

Yup headshots are 20 points you can also get an all headshot bonus for like 200 points.

Keep trying.

Which boss do you hate the most?

My fave decepticon is Shockwave in the game he is such a an ass.haermm

His 360 degree blast does significant damage.The cloning move and the reflected beam are also nasty.

Soundwave is also tough with his wave thingy that tossess you back.

I think Megatron is pretty easy compared to the other 2.

The rest like Starscream ,Blitzwing are weaksauce imo...

cdtm
Hardest thing about Starscream is that floorless stage. smile

Shockwave's tough, but memorable. He SHOULD be tough. In the comics, he was less a lacky, and more Megatron's rival. Plus he's just awesome, design wise.

Anyways, turns out Grimlock.can t use ANY autos or weapons with large magazines. And he can't go into "Max Payne" mode from his robot alt..

BUT... I accidentially found out he could go from dino mode to Max Payne aim style. I think it's a bug, because they obviously don't want Grimlock capable to spamming head shots, otherwise they wouldn't limit his ranged choices to higher powered, lower ammo arms (He can t even use snipers..)

So while you CAN do the head shot trick, it's more of a pain, and the ammo's so low the best you can do is match the "no damage" and "speed" bonus...

Estacado
Yeah I know Shockwave has always been my favorite.

The Shockwave + Megatron challenge is one of the toughest imo.

It sucks that Grimlock is so limited. sad

He doesnt have that rush combo which is so damn cool.

He would by main but Optimus is simply better.

I have about 50 ss weapons still couldnt get an ss grimlock sword.

Still hoping for a decepticon pack though...

cdtm
I've learned a few things about Grimlock that make it easier to rank:

First off, his light rush attack is the most spammable rush in the game, due to a single "b" tab getting him to full speed, instead of needing to drive around for a bit.

You can clear most bosses with nothing but "b, x, b, x, b, x" (Using Xbox controls) until they're dead.

Secondly, the loud speaker stuns all enemies, allowing for a grapple move. I've found some bosses recover and evade after two repeated uses, but generally it's easy to cheese.

BloodRawEngine
Originally posted by cdtm

Shockwave's tough, but memorable. He SHOULD be tough. In the comics, he was less a lacky, and more Megatron's rival. Plus he's just awesome, design wise.

Not to mention what's probably one of if not the best boss theme in the game oyhI03Em2_E

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by BloodRawEngine
Besides the fact that the game's setting on the levels essentially ARE in the same general area throughout the campaign is one fo the reasons for that. How that's a problem when it does nothing to hinder the gameplay (and in fact accentuates it a little better), I don't see, let alone has "open designated areas with no destructibility" never really been a necessary staple among the genre or the company's main approach in favor of combo-heavy action, which is still by the truckload (no pun intended) in this game. If anything, sticking to the one general area for the campaign is about the ONLY aspect that strikes it as a budget title, seeing as the rest of the game screams Platinum flair in its combat and scope therein.

Also, having played the Cybertron games, I gotta say they're FAR from "amazing" they'e only so good at first glance to me becasue of how mediocre the movie tie-in games were and that the last decent one before them was the Transformers Aramada title from years ago. I also really hated the general design of those games.

The levels in, Devastation move the player from one, open square level to another, surrounded with mediocre graphics that have no affect on the game play. You go through the entire game using the same combo's.

The Highmoon games have a very detailed and compelling story along with varied game play and customization. These two games incomparable. They set out to accomplish two different things. I don't think devastation is a very good game at all but i can see how someone could have fun with it. I just expected much more coming from the, Cybertron games. Also, the fact that it's not co-op is inexcusable.

cdtm
Seekers challenge should have been in the main story. It's not really much worse then taking on two Constructicons, or three Ancient Insecticons.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.