Gears of Wars 4

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/15/e3-2015-gears-of-war-4-first-gameplay-details

I always enjoy the multiplayer in these games. Getting a squad of friends together was always great. I don't care for the single player (outside of 2), but I'm looking forward to this.

Smasandian
I enjoy the co-op and will probably pick it up for that.

My friend and I have gone through the first three Gears about 5-6 times. It's still fun.

Tzeentch
Watched the demo. I hope JD isn't the protagonist... he is so phucking bland.

Nemesis X
So this is really a sequel huh? Wonder how that'll work after the events of Gears 3.

Smasandian
Who knows?

Could take place hundreds of years later....

BlackZero30x
Those creatures didn't look like Locust in the demo. I assume this is after humanity started rebuilding.

Smasandian
Yeah, or the elder locust hahaha.

I assume the ending of Gears 3 changed Sera in a different way. Also, there is talk that it's a different planet because there two moons but I highly doubt that.

Nemesis X
Maybe with the Locust and imulsion gone, Sera's wildlife prospered and evolved into more advanced creatures as nature's way of rebalancing.

Smasandian
Maybe. It seems like an interesting planet filled with shit that will kill you. Anything could happen.

Nusa105
I hope it is good as GoW 3

Kazenji
So it has Marcus's Fenix son in the game

and it takes place 25 years years after the third game.

Smasandian
Hmm, interesting.

Ridley_Prime
Oh, it's the son thing they did huh? Go figure.

Kazenji
Wonder if they'll have Old man Fenix in the game.

Nusa105
So, if the fourth installement game has Fenix's son, is the Game still care about Fenix besides his son?

Smasandian
I really don't care if it's Fenix's or not but I'm interested to see what has happened to the world they inhibit 25 years later. I think it's a good move. It's probably better than being on a different planet.

Dead Space 2 did something similar with the Ishamura having it being refitted.

Nemesis X
http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/03/08/gears-of-war-4-gets-tons-of-new-details-on-game-informer/

Smasandian
Cool!

Hopefully at the weather stuff actually mean something. Hopefully the MP bulletpoint doesn't mean the SP campaign is crap because that's why I play Gears.

Nusa105
Originally posted by Nemesis X
http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/03/08/gears-of-war-4-gets-tons-of-new-details-on-game-informer/
Nice one bro. I think i might want it

Nemesis X
Release date is set and Gears 4 will be coming out on October 11th so it'll still be awhile.

Nemesis X
@3:10 is when the fun stuff happens.

tgMZX8tm-x0

Nemesis X
Has anyone really felt anything for the single player as of late? This year's Gears 4 E3 presentation didn't exactly wow me like Gears 2 and 3's did in the past. Not sure whether the franchise has spoiled me or its flare was gone the moment Epic Games left.

Hopefully things will improve in the months to come before release. Really do want it to be good.

Smasandian
I can see where you are coming from. The section they showed this year didn't really wow me. However, I would agree that it does look very similar to the first Gears which I know is what they are trying to accomplish.

Arachnid1
The only Gears single player I liked was 2, so gears has never been very good on that front. 1 was passable and 3 was outright trash. This one looks like an improvement IMO.

Ridley_Prime
I'd agree with 3 being the worst in that area if not for RAAM'S Shadow...

This looks like one of those games to possibly wait awhile on getting depending on impressions by the time of release.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
I'd agree with 3 being the worst in that area if not for RAAM'S Shadow...

This looks like one of those games to possibly wait awhile on getting depending on impressions by the time of release. I'd agree if it wasn't for the multiplayer. I played the beta so much with my bud that I made it to level 50. I had a ton of fun, so that makes it worth it to me

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Smasandian
I can see where you are coming from. The section they showed this year didn't really wow me. However, I would agree that it does look very similar to the first Gears which I know is what they are trying to accomplish.

Most notable for me from Gears 1 was the ambience of some of the levels in the game like the Jacinto prison and the Imulsion factory. I like that part in 4 they showed where JD and Kait were in this ghost town, dark with the quiet wind blowing in the background and they get trapped later in a building with only these alien pods offering light. But then you see the updated version of that same ghost town in 2016 without the darkness, removing the creepiness and therefore that feeling like you're playing Gears 1 IMO.

Smasandian
Yeah, that's what I remember about Gears 1. It felt small but it's what made the game incredibly intense. My favourite moments was fighting off attacking Locusts at the gas station, or avoiding the dark areas so you didn't get slice to death. Or the gas pumping station in the tunnels. All that shit was awesome.

I thought Gears 2 what completely in a different area and I thought it was definitely the weakest of the bunch. Gears 3 I thought was really, really good and I don't understand the hate for it. It had a lot of great moments and fighting the immulsion-Locusts was different enough. It also had that great level where you walk through a bombed out city was a pretty good idea.

Nemesis X
At first, it bothered me the new enemy faction you'll be facing is going to be robots built by the COG but when you think about it, we did have Jack and considering how many people died during the original Gears trilogy, a robot army would make a good substitute when the population of your species is at an all time low.

Zack Fair
I liked all 3 Gears equally.

Will still not get this.

Nemesis X
Sorta still on the fence whether to get it or not. One thing's for sure though: I'm not buying the season pass. I mean look at this!

For $50, you get early access to maps and modes you're gonna get for free anyways so it's pointless. WTF is Microsoft smoking?

Ridley_Prime
And here I thought they were learning a thing or two with Halo 5 and all its free content. Guess that was all 343.

Smasandian
Sorta still on the fence whether to get it or not. One thing's for sure though: I'm not buying the season pass. I mean look at this!

For $50, you get early access to maps and modes you're gonna get for free anyways so it's pointless. WTF is Microsoft smoking?

Yeah, I'm surprised by that content. It's going to microtransaction route instead of 2-3 significant pieces of content.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad. On one hand, it's basically garbage but the other, you are not losing anything that important.

For instance, you get the maps for free on a rotating basis but you can pay to be able to play them privately. It's kind of lame but it doesn't remove the ability to play them.

Nemesis X
Z7SF0tlFT1s

Nemesis X
Not sure how I'm supposed to feel about there being classes in a Gears horde mode. I liked the one back in 3. 4's looks like a wannabe Team Fortress 2.

Arachnid1
I actually really like the idea

It looks cool

Smasandian
Not sure how I'm supposed to feel about there being classes in a Gears horde mode. I liked the one back in 3. 4's looks like a wannabe Team Fortress 2.

I'm guessing you have played Team Fortress but that does not look like Team Fortress.

It looks like there is a bigger building element than previous games.

Nemesis X
I might've posted too soon. Was tired and didn't think clearly at the time but looking back, it looks alright. To actually place your defenses anywhere on the map is a definite improvement. Just gotta pray the microtransactions don't spoil Horde Mode because there's actually enhancements you can unlock from Gear Packs for your character. Thankfully the Coalition confirmed they can't be used in Versus Multiplayer. I would've drawn the line there if that happened.

Smasandian
Yeah, it is.

I wonder how all the classes works. For instance, is the Engineer the only one you can build defenses? Or can there be multiple people of the same class? Can they be changed on the whim?

RadZoa
Day 1, and I like the Class system because it creates a team dynamic. Someone may want to roll Sniper but someone else may roll engineer so they can get a discount on fortifications such as turrets. It makes it where everyone fulfills a roll so even if you're not good at combat you can still hang back and repair your fortifications

This is actually a very good design choice as it gives everyone a roll to play.

Nemesis X
AVOID THE LAUNCH TRAILER IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET!

There are potential spoilers in it and the developers are not happy with Microsoft atm for uploading it.

Smasandian
Crazy. Thanks for letting us know.

Considering the game has been touting it's single player campaign as it's major feature, it's sad to see an advetiser/public relations/whoever is in charge release a trailer with story spoilers.

Man, this game was "I will get it once I can play with my friend locally" to "hmm, this looks pretty good" to "man, I need to get the game at release so I can keep up with competition". Some of those MP modes look pretty good.

But I still need to play SP splitscreen'd with a friend.

Nemesis X
Reviews are coming in and Gears 4 is getting 8s and 9s so that's good.

Is it just me or isn't it a bit bias making people who pre-ordered the standard edition wait 'til next Tuesday for the game to come out while everyone who got the Ultimate Edition get to play it today?

Smasandian
Yeah, I think it's dumb.

I have a long weekend (Thanksgiving) and if I pre-ordered the digital version, I can play on today and throughout the whole weekend.

I went from "I might get the digital version" to "OH YEAH!!!" But then I saw it was only for Ultimate and I thought that's dumb.

Personally, I think MS has made great strides since the disastrous original Xbox One campaign and I think MS is getting ahead of the trends much better than Sony has. But, it seems they are still stuck a bit with how things are done.

Letting Xbox One owners play their first party games on PC with one copy is a smart move and should be commended on that decision. Granted, it's hasn't been executed perfectly but at least the decision has been made to do so.

In my opinion, keep the Ultimate Edition for people who want that type of stuff but make the bonus of being able to play 4 days early be a pre-order bonus. As well, keep the Play Anywhere but also allow users to buy on Steam, Origin, GOG or wherever on release date.

BackFire
I'll probably get this on the PC. Really love MS for releasing this game on the PC.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by BackFire
I'll probably get this on the PC. Really love MS for releasing this game on the PC. If you buy it digitally for xbox, it gives you it on PC too. Levels and unlocks transfer between each so the games are interchangable. There have been people who played split screen campain by having one person on the pc and on on the xbox too so thats pretty cool

Unfortunately, my sister already got me a physical copy (not really unfortunate, I love her and appreciate her, but man do I want to play that campaign on my rig).

Arachnid1
This opens up for everyone in 5 hours

I managed to trade my buddy my physical copy for a digital copy so I can now play it on my pc. I'm pretty hyped to try this out

Arachnid1
Jesus, preloading this is ridiculous on PC. I get that its bear 80 gigs, but it's been 7+ hours since I started the download

Smasandian
Yeah, I was pre-loading on Xbox One. For about 3 hours, I was around 35%. I assume the servers are being destroyed.

BackFire
Bought this for PC, very impressed.

Solid PC port, lots of settings, seems well optimized and runs really smoothly (except for a weird bug where the game will randomly start running at 5fps until I restart it, but that's only happened twice.)

The game itself is also very fun, feels like a Gears of War game, and so far I think I like it more than GoW2 and 3. The Coalition did a really good job keeping the feel of the old games while putting enough of their own touches on it to make it feel somwhat new.

Very happy with it.

Smasandian
I'm waiting to play couch co-op campaign so I haven't really gotten into it.

But I have played a fair bit of horde and it's a lot of fun. However, it's so dependent on a good group that it can be very, very frustrating when people do stupid shit. I despise when engineers do not upgrade the ****ing defenses, or even worst, repair them. And I do not know how many times I've seen players buddy up certain classes. Teams do not need two engineers and nobody is ever the heavy.

Nemesis X
I like Gears 4 multiplayer....back when it was still in beta! Now it's yet another gnasher fest giving me a headache. The only PvP mode I can tolerate now is Arms Race.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.