Final Fantasy VII Remake

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AuraAngel
EELUk0XxPrM

Not an expanded story, not a stupid movie. An honest to God remake of one of the best games of the PS1 era and arguably the best Final Fantasy game(of the main series).

Zack Fair
Yeah about time they stopped being stuck up bitches.

Will probbably come out sometime in 2050

BackFire
I got chills during this announcement. This is so amazing.

Impediment
Probably wont be out until 2019, though.

Golgo13
THIS AND SHENMUE?!

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg587/golgi7777/YS_zpslc8fbtbn.gif

-Pr-
So easy to **** up... Hopefully that doesn't happen.

Impediment
I actually liked the combat system from FFXIII. The paradigm shift made for easy free flow combat.

Maybe this remake will have a similar system.

Bentley
Shemue actually has me more hyped than this, but I hope this is a Square Enix's way of caring for their franchises. They better translate Dragon Quest VII and VIII while they are at it.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Bentley
Shemue actually has me more hyped than this, but I hope this is a Square Enix's way of caring for their franchises. They better translate Dragon Quest VII and VIII while they are at it.

What they did translate Dragon Quest VIII to French?....that sucks.

AuraAngel

thumb up

Shemue was important not only for appealing towards a game that many have wanted(longer than a remake for VII actually) but because Sony is associating with Kickstarter, which has become a nice positive force in gaming.

And yeah Square cares.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Impediment
I actually liked the combat system from FFXIII. The paradigm shift made for easy free flow combat.

Maybe this remake will have a similar system. that will only bring a shitstorm

AuraAngel
They should just straight up go Kingdom Hearts gameplay. I gotta big sword! I wanna press a button and quickly kill dudes with it!

The Paradigm system also doesn't worth with VII thematically.

Impediment
This.

Zack Fair
they should leave the combat the same. even if its dated. FF7 fanboys are rabid losers. The whine would never end

Impediment
Kingdom Hearts combat seems viable.

BackFire
I seriously doubt they'll change the combat too much. Can't see the turning it into Kingdom Hearts. Might speed it up a bit but I'd be surprised if they did a wholesale rebuild of the combat.

Really for me the combat doesn't matter very much. I'm more interested in other aspects, like if they'll continue to have an overworld portion of the game like in older FF games, or if they'll modernize that and make it more linear like FFXIII, or something more akin to FFXII/FFXV, with more open spaces.

Also hope the voice acting isn't terrible.

Impediment
I can only imagine what the Gold Saucer will be like.

-Pr-
I hope the mechanics aren't changed too much... It's a remake, not a reboot, so even putting aside the story, I hope that the combat system for example is at least somewhat familiar.

I wouldn't be a fan of using, say, the FFXIII kind etc.

Quincy
When they showed Barrett's gun arm I literally yelled out loud "**** YOU....DONT EVEN...**** YOU"

And then Cloud and I was like "ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING!?"

It was glorious

AsbestosFlaygon
I was crying tears of blood at around 1:23 mark when the tune started playing.
So many memories, flashing through my mind like a deck of cards tossed on top of a table.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will be using the tried-and-tested turn-based system.
Times are a-changing, it will most probably be hack-and-slash style ala Demon's Souls.

Jmanghan
Can't see the video, but, I'm assuming this is the FFVII port to PS4?

Yeah, they are changing nothing. They aren't even giving us HD Graphics, they are giving us the PC Version of the game. Whoop-de-****ing-do!

No one cares.

Bentley
Originally posted by Jmanghan

Yeah, they are changing nothing. They aren't even giving us HD Graphics, they are giving us the PC Version of the game. Whoop-de-****ing-do!

No one cares.

Then you should see the video, it's all HD stuff and totally new 3D models. Actual remake, not port from the PC version it seems.

Adam Grimes
It looks interesting but at the same time easy to end up being shit.

Dem mixed feelings...

Based
Kingdom Hearts combat is literally the bets Square has done. Something like it please.

-Pr-

No one cares.

no, they announced the ps4 port last year. they actually called this a remake.

BackFire
In an interview I read earlier with someone from Square he implied they will be making some changes to this game. He said that since the HD Remaster is coming out there's no reason for them both if they're both essentially the same exact game. So look for some alterations with the remake, potentially big ones, I guess.

-Pr-
Aeris can be saved, I'll bet. I hate the *****, but you know it's what people will ask for.

Bentley
The whole point of Aeris is dying.

I hope they go crazy with the improvements because there is a lot to be improved (FF7 was sort of an unpolished gem), they have every excuse to make the remake memorable and a good RPG on it's own right.

-Pr-
The whole point of Aeris is dying.

I hope they go crazy with the improvements because there is a lot to be improved (FF7 was sort of an unpolished gem), they have every excuse to make the remake memorable and a good RPG on it's own right.

I know it is, and you know it is, but you know what people are like.

Eh, I honestly think they need to be cautious. Improvements, sure, but what should be improved is going to cause a few arguments i'll bet.

AsbestosFlaygon
Insiders are saying Sony is pumping money for its development.
Don't expect an Xbone release any time soon.
Maybe a PC release after some months more liikely.

-Pr-
Agreed. Square has been porting a fair amount of FF to pc lately, so it makes sense that they'd put it there before Xbox, their main competitor.

AuraAngel
Let's see the things I'm most worried about:

Midgar: Generally most of the places you visit in Final Fantasy VII are simple enough and should not be that problematic. Changing the city of Kalm is not likely to ruffle any feathers is what I'm saying. But Midgar is the most iconic series and goes through a development(starting as this grim and terrible place with no sun to...well at least it is sunny). They need to keep Midgar terrible. Needs to be dark, cold, with homeless people, prostitution, sex slavery, and all that fun stuff. Taking it out would be lame.

Combat: The materia system should be fine so I see no reason for them to change it(knock on wood). The combat is the real question. XIII doesn't really fit(XIII is a game about a bunch of people finding out what purpose they serve, and the combat is about picking the purpose you wanna serve) and it was unpopular with a not insignificant portion of the audience(less said about that the better). But KH combat has you playing as one person(Sora) and I'm not sure if the right move is to assign Tifa and Cid to support roles like Donald and Goofy. I mean you have fun selecting Cid and having him do his Limit Break, same for all the others. This is one I'm not sure how to work around. Were it me the best I could do would keep the party system for safety but make it go much faster. But I don't know.

No one cares.

I am actually not sure if you're trolling or not.

Why would I, or anyone, make a thread about a port of a very old game that has been ported several times? Let alone put REMAKE in the title?

Lek Kuen
Originally posted by -Pr-
I know it is, and you know it is, but you know what people are like.

Eh, I honestly think they need to be cautious. Improvements, sure, but what should be improved is going to cause a few arguments i'll bet.

I'm thinking prolly some new story stuff to better go with the various spin off games made after FF7, since they have that info now.

AuraAngel
Genesis better stay away.

Impediment
Just imagine the potential DLC that this game could bring.

Cloud and Tifa as kids in Nibelheim, Sephiroth is a SOLDIER going on missions, missions with Zack Fair, Gold Saucer games and challenges.......it could be so damn sweet.

Nephthys
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Insiders are saying Sony is pumping money for its development.
Don't expect an Xbone release any time soon.
Maybe a PC release after some months more liikely.

Months? Try years. Square Enix will probably try for FF13 level graphics because they masturbate to polygons which will take a blisteringly long time to do.

Jmanghan
Ok, so I was wrong.

I look forward to that system from Crisis Core.

The one where Zack could summon Angeal and Sephiroth, Cissnei. Maybe they could implement that into this game.

This needs to be action-style combat for sure. Reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts, or at least, Crisis Core.

wakkawakkawakka
I wouldn't mind a change in the game mechanics to be closer to real time gameplay: would be redundant to keep it exactly the same considering there are several ports of this game.

Also while I'm excited for this remake I'm still skeptical of Square as this is the same company that put out a XIII trilogy that nobody really asked for.

Zack Fair
I always felt like they used XIII trilogy was just Square experimenting with hd engines, new audiences etc etc

wakkawakkawakka
That seems sound for the first XIII installment but why did Square feel the need to make two more. I'm not even sure they broke even with Lightning Returns.

AsbestosFlaygon
I remember people in this forum and elsewhere complaining about the outdated turn-based system used by older JRPGs, and how it shouldn't be used in newer RPGs.
Now, people are complaining about FFVII using real-time combat instead of turn-based.

Newgunners, make up your mind.

AsbestosFlaygon
Looks like this game will NOT be turn-based.

I blame Mass Effect, Fable, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, DnD/MMORPGs, FPSs, and the new-gen PG gamers with attention spans of a 10-year-old.

NemeBro
Having to react to threats and use strategy to defeat foes in real time requires more attention than doing it when your enemy politely waits his turn to retaliate.

Git gud scrub.

Adam Grimes
thumb up

The Lost
I ****ing lost it when this was announced. Actually stood up and started shouting.

I honestly thought nothing could come close to FO4's announcement and I was miserably wrong.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by NemeBro
Having to react to threats and use strategy to defeat foes in real time requires more attention than doing it when your enemy politely waits his turn to retaliate.

Git gud scrub.
Real-time combat ruins the magic of this game.
Might as well just call this FFXV-2.

Sad thing is this will still be bought by millions of FF posers/bandwagoners.

-Pr-
I would have preferred retaining the combat system, but if they can make a good real time one, then I won't mind.

Emphasis on "good".

Kazenji
Looks like this game will NOT be turn-based.

I blame Mass Effect, Fable, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, DnD/MMORPGs, FPSs, and the new-gen PG gamers with attention spans of a 10-year-old.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Ash_ED/Other/facepalm_spider-man_zpsb16a8448.jpg~original

AsbestosFlaygon
Square Enix should remake FFVI. God Kefka in glorious HD.

Shinobi Popcorn
Back when Advent Children came out, all I wanted was an HD remake of the game.

Now, I'm rather indifferent. I don't really want to buy an expensive system for one game, and the original has a low-res charm about it.

AuraAngel
oMWEjWCwjzM

Looks fun but I'm curious how they'll work out the team system.

ares834
Looks cool. I'm glad to see an updated combat system.

AuraAngel
It seems to trend more to KH than XIII, which is good. I wonder if the character switching will function like it did in XII.

Nephthys
Combat looks good. I hope they don't make Cloud into an emo edgelord like they did in everything other than the actual original game though.

Jmanghan
Square Enix should remake FFVI. God Kefka in glorious HD.

And an FFXII release on the Playstation store.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Nephthys
Combat looks good. I hope they don't make Cloud into an emo edgelord like they did in everything other than the actual original game though.

People forget he was an emo in that game too.

Christ, his friggen TEXT was emo.

Nephthys
No, not really. I was playing through it a few months ago and he's pretty upbeat and chill at least up to where I am.

-Pr-
Nice graphics, not sold on the combat though.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Nephthys
No, not really. I was playing through it a few months ago and he's pretty upbeat and chill at least up to where I am.

Thats not him though, remember?

He thinks he's Zack through-out the entire game.

Adam Grimes
Thanks for the spoiler.

BackFire
Think it looks great.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Thanks for the spoiler. I'd edit it, but 15 minute limit.

Should be raised to at least an hour.

I don't think Raz realized just how small of a time limit 15 minutes is.

Guess I gotta wait for Imp to delete my post.

Also, you've posted spoilers without spoiler tags, so try not being a hypocrite.

BackFire
I think this game is old enough to where spoilers aren't really an issue.

Jmanghan
Thank you, Backfire. I'll be sure to slide you a sandwich when you're under my bed tonight.

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by BackFire
I think this game is old enough to where spoilers aren't really an issue. Considering remakes are partially meant to attract new gamers to play a game that for whatever reason they couldn't/didn't play, spoilers should be treated as carefully as with new games imo.

BackFire
I don't agree. I don't think the FFVII remake is meant to attract new gamers so much as it's meant to capitalize on nostalgia and get people who played it and loved it to play it again.

If a game is as old as FFVII, and as renowned and you haven't played it yet and are in a thread about it or the remake and get something spoiled then you only really have yourself to blame. Enter threads like this that may have people talking about old storylines at your own risk.

Adam Grimes
It wasn't a irrelevant spoiler either, it was a fundamental revelation about none other than the main protagonist, but w/e.

I'd edit it, but 15 minute limit.

Should be raised to at least an hour.

I don't think Raz realized just how small of a time limit 15 minutes is.

Guess I gotta wait for Imp to delete my post.

Also, you've posted spoilers without spoiler tags, so try not being a hypocrite. Yeah, that sucks.

He doesn't have to delete it.

When did I do that?

wakkawakkawakka
Cloud looks a bit weird and those sunglasses Barret wears are silly.

That aside considering this is remake of an 18/19 year old game that has a movie, which also spoils plot details, talking about it is fair game IMO.

BackFire
Apparently the game is going to be released in multiple parts, essentially being episodic.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/07/psx-2015-final-fantasy-7-remake-will-be-a-multi-part-series?abthid=5664e811a57531c20e00000b

Lot of people are upset about this, understandably so. If each "part" is a full price game then that will end up costing players $180+ to play the full experience. It also means it'll probably take a lonnnnng time before the full story is told.

On the plus side, this hopefully means that the first part will be released sooner rather than later. Also this could mean the quality of the full product is better as a whole because they will have a longer amount of time to work on the product. Rather than trying to get the whole thing done in a few years, and inevitably rushing/removing aspects because of time restraints, now they won't really need to do that, hopefully.

Arachnid1
Apparently the game is going to be released in multiple parts, essentially being episodic.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/07/psx-2015-final-fantasy-7-remake-will-be-a-multi-part-series?abthid=5664e811a57531c20e00000b

Lot of people are upset about this, understandably so. If each "part" is a full price game then that will end up costing players $180+ to play the full experience. It also means it'll probably take a lonnnnng time before the full story is told.

On the plus side, this hopefully means that the first part will be released sooner rather than later. Also this could mean the quality of the full product is better as a whole because they will have a longer amount of time to work on the product. Rather than trying to get the whole thing done in a few years, and inevitably rushing/removing aspects because of time restraints, now they won't really need to do that, hopefully. Interest just flatlined.

Man, I hate the rise of episodic games.

Nemesis X
I'll just wait for the full version thanks.

wakkawakkawakka
Is this a Ground Zeroes thing because it sounds a lot like that practice.

Bentley
That sounds like absolute fail no expression

If that's how you'd release a Chrono Trigger remake SE, you can keep it.

AuraAngel

On the plus side, this hopefully means that the first part will be released sooner rather than later. Also this could mean the quality of the full product is better as a whole because they will have a longer amount of time to work on the product. Rather than trying to get the whole thing done in a few years, and inevitably rushing/removing aspects because of time restraints, now they won't really need to do that, hopefully.

Yeah this makes it seem like Square Enix is in too big of a hurry or they're putting too much on Nomura's back. He's being asked to work on one of the most anticipated 3rd games in history(KHIII) and faithfully remake the most significant JRPG of all time at once. So this is Square desperately trying to squeeze the VII cow for milk ASAP and a creative director trying to do this in a manner that doesn't involve waiting 10 years like the other project he is working on. Yikes.

Not that I'm against episodic games but the question becomes how much content can each episode cover and how much each episode is worth. If episode 1 is, say, all of Midgar then that is a pretty nice chunk. But if it is literally the tutorial level, then that is a paltry amount and this game would take actual ages to be the equivalent to the old game.

Part of me also wonders if this is a method to getting around having a big over world. Such a thing is super costly and it hasn't been Square's preferred way of doing things in a while. VII has hallway syndrome in Midgar but that is an intentional design choice. If you take out the over world you lose a lot of thematic meaning.

I am sorta optimistic in that Nomura seems to get Cloud as a character, at least as he is in FFVII. Barret...well we'll see if they have the guts to have him say stuff like "Well to me it looks like a golden shiny wire of hope."

Bentley
Originally posted by AuraAngel
He's being asked to work on one of the most anticipated 3rd games in history(KHIII) and faithfully remake the most significant JRPG of all time at once.

You lost me here, he's also remaking Dragon Quest?

Quincy
ohhhhhh well done mate

AuraAngel
You lost me here, he's also remaking Dragon Quest?

"significant", not "most utterly irrelevant" JRPG. uhuh

I actually know nothing about Dragon Quest except that Kishi liked it and it is pretty popular. Enough to get a ton of sequels.

Bentley
Originally posted by AuraAngel
"significant", not "most utterly irrelevant" JRPG. uhuh

I actually know nothing about Dragon Quest except that Kishi liked it and it is pretty popular. Enough to get a ton of sequels.

It's pretty much the first JRPG series in the proper sense. Arguably it never caught up on the West because each game was ported too late and the game were no longer as groundbreaking.

AuraAngel
Ah I see. That's pretty cool. Nice to learn more history.

Quincy
Hey Bent, what would you consider the greatest Dragon Quest game?

Zack M
Originally posted by ares834
Looks cool. I'm glad to see an updated combat system.

Bentley
Originally posted by Quincy
Hey Bent, what would you consider the greatest Dragon Quest game?

I'd probably choose a classic between IV and V. VIII is great though, probably the place to pick up the series if you are used to modern games.

IX is great too, but it's light on the story.

Quincy
I loved VIII

AsbestosFlaygon
I'd probably choose a classic between IV and V. VIII is great though, probably the place to pick up the series if you are used to modern games.

IX is great too, but it's light on the story.
Yeah, IX was great. Wasted lots of hours on that one.

I watched the trailer a week ago for this remake. I dunno why, but I felt disappointed. It's not the graphics, but I think it's the gameplay. It's just not the same if it isn't turn-based. And the gameplay seems to be more linear than the original.

Jmanghan
I KNEW I'D FIND IT.

Pr, the video link should go here, haha.

WAgx7PROcMc

-Pr-
laughing out loud

This one didn't come up in my search for some reason. Looks sweet, though I hope the "more in June" shows us a ****ing release date for the first part.

Trocity
FF7 skin for FF15 lmao.

Kazenji
laughing out loud

This one didn't come up in my search for some reason. Looks sweet, though I hope the "more in June" shows us a ****ing release date for the first part.

They'll probably end up teasing it for the next few years, like what they did with Kingdom Hearts 3.

ares834
Meh. It's taken them way too long; the hype is gone.

Originally posted by Trocity
FF7 skin for FF15 lmao.

Nah, they've stated the combat is more like KH.

Arachnid1
The combat looks like garbage. No turn based tactics, no care. IMO a change that big is basically changing the entire genre of the game. The turn based combat was fundamental to FFVII.

remake RE4 as a first person run and hide simulator
remake Stellaris as a flight simulator
remake Silent Hill 2 as an MMO
remake Battlefield 3 as a visual novel
remake FIFA into a basketball game
remake Splinter Cell as a MOBA

Kazenji
I bet they'll **** up all the themes the original game had and it'll come off half baked.

cdtm
I would totally play a Battlefield visual novel. thumb up

-Pr-
Originally posted by Kazenji
They'll probably end up teasing it for the next few years, like what they did with Kingdom Hearts 3.

Hopefully the fact that they've kept us waiting this long means there isn't long left until we get the first part.

Hopefully.

Originally posted by Arachnid1
The combat looks like garbage. No turn based tactics, no care. IMO a change that big is basically changing the entire genre of the game. The turn based combat was fundamental to FFVII.

remake RE4 as a first person run and hide simulator
remake Stellaris as a flight simulator
remake Silent Hill 2 as an MMO
remake Battlefield 3 as a visual novel
remake FIFA into a basketball game
remake Splinter Cell as a MOBA

TBH, I think a lot of people (myself included) wouldn't be disappointed if the game was a graphical upgrade while leaving everything else the same. But there's no way anyone at Square with any real power would sign off on something like that, so they were always going to change things.

I just hope that, even with the changes to combat and such, it's still enjoyable, and if they're making changes to the story/events, they're adding far more than they're subtracting. For example, let me, say, play a Vincent flashback or something. The silly humour and ridiculous limit breaks need to be maintained (though I liked how Cross-Slash looked in the trailer).

I don't expect Sony's recent hardon for censoring all of the things to impact FF7 too much, but I wouldn't be surprised.

cdtm
I'd recommend the Seventh Heaven mod, worth it for the 60fps hack alone, if it wasn't for the fact the game mysteriously stopped loading, even after disabling all the mods.

ares834
T2zTJGOreFc

We also got a release date: March 3rd, 2020.

Presumably, they still intend to break the game into parts and sell them individually with the other parts releasing later on...

Nemesis X
We also got a release date: March 3rd, 2020.

2020 sure is a popular year isn't it.

Sounds like we'd be better off just waiting for the complete edition to happen.

-Pr-
I'm hoping the Square conference gives us more details. If they say it's only going to be in two parts like it's been rumoured, that's all right with me.

Kazenji
Haven't the rumors about it being in two parts been debunked?...supposed to be from some nutjob that worked for Square-Enix.

-Pr-
Ah ok, I hadn't heard that. Two parts would be good to me, still. Three would be acceptable. Any more than that and it starts getting iffy.

Bentley
I'm hoping the Square conference gives us more details. If they say it's only going to be in two parts like it's been rumoured, that's all right with me.

I hope Square's conference is all about Hitman and its several DLC waves

-Pr-
I hope Square's conference is all about Hitman and its several DLC waves

You say that, but:

1. I ****ing love Hitman.
2. Hitman isn't published by Squeenix anymore iirc.

Kazenji
Wow...gonna be on 2 blu-ray discs for part 1.

-Pr-
I thought he said a total of two bluray discs, which is no small feat. Either way, it promises to be massive... If it's 100gb per episode, that's impressive.

**** though, I know that my mind says not to preorder. Its not sensible. There's no rarity anymore... But ****in' hell, summons as preorder dlc?

That combart system looks very interesting too. It's not at all what I expected.

ares834
nerfed Tifa = no buy

In all seriousness, looks pretty cool. Not at all a fan of dividing the game up. Sure, they may extend Midgar to be the a "full-length" game but that likely means it's full of filler content.

-Pr-
I was honestly worried Tifa might look worse, so I'm not too bothered.

Yeah, filler is a worry, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

cdtm
I thought he said a total of two bluray discs, which is no small feat. Either way, it promises to be massive... If it's 100gb per episode, that's impressive.

**** though, I know that my mind says not to preorder. Its not sensible. There's no rarity anymore... But ****in' hell, summons as preorder dlc?

That combart system looks very interesting too. It's not at all what I expected.

dlc summons.

I know that's just how things are done, but nickling and diming Final Fantasy 7 is just wrong.

-Pr-
Originally posted by cdtm
dlc summons.

I know that's just how things are done, but nickling and diming Final Fantasy 7 is just wrong.

The only saving grace, I think, is that they aren't ones from the original game. They're new, so I can forgive that. If they'd done it with say, Ifrit or something, I would have been angrier.

Kazenji
Originally posted by cdtm
dlc summons.

It's not like Cactuar & Chocobo Chick was a summon in the original game anyway.

Kazenji
They also have Carbuncle summon DLC with the 1st class edition.

-Pr-
The Squeenix site wants people to pay $330 for the first class edition, but only $80 for the deluxe edition. So to them, a Play Arts Cloud with his bike and one extra summon is worth $250? Really?

-Pr-
It looks like we get to spend more time with Avalanche themselves, which I like. Let us get to know Biggs, Wedge and Jessie before the plate.

The music, I like. It's newly done, but it's the same tracks so it still feels familiar.

Impediment

-Pr-

Jmanghan
Chocobo races are gonna be trippy as **** with those track designs, that's for sure.

==

One thing I realised, is that for years I've read all the terms in that game as sounding a certain way in my head. Some of that shit is gonna be weird hearing it said out loud, and not just stuff like Aeris being Aerith instead of Aeris.

Like when I played 14 for the first time and heard "Bahamut". I believe Bahamut was said the first time in Crisis Core, not sure.

-Pr-
I believe Bahamut was said the first time in Crisis Core, not sure.

I barely played that, tbh, so I missed it. 14 was the first time I heard it said out loud.

Jmanghan
I barely played that, tbh, so I missed it. 14 was the first time I heard it said out loud. If you love FFVII (and still own a PSP), you owe it to yourself as a fan of FFVII or even RPG's period, to finish it.

One of the finest games I'll ever play and one of best and most tear-jerking endings in a video game, its up there with the end of TWD Season 1, Undertale, etc.

In a lot of ways its superior to the original FFVII in terms of writing and pacing, but FFVII had a much better concept and main story overall, even if the writing in Crisis Core was much better.

Also, Zack is far more likeable then Cloud's ever been, regardless of game.

Kazenji
The Squeenix site wants people to pay $330 for the first class edition, but only $80 for the deluxe edition. So to them, a Play Arts Cloud with his bike and one extra summon is worth $250? Really?

There's a place near me which had the First class edition for preorder...but even then it's still too pricey.

-Pr-
If you love FFVII (and still own a PSP), you owe it to yourself as a fan of FFVII or even RPG's period, to finish it.

One of the finest games I'll ever play and one of best and most tear-jerking endings in a video game, its up there with the end of TWD Season 1, Undertale, etc.

In a lot of ways its superior to the original FFVII in terms of writing and pacing, but FFVII had a much better concept and main story overall, even if the writing in Crisis Core was much better.

Also, Zack is far more likeable then Cloud's ever been, regardless of game.

I did enjoy it, but it's the not-owning a PSP part that always stood in my way. I did watch the cutscenes on youtube to get an idea of the story, but I was always hoping they'd add the game to the PSN so I could play it on the PS3.

There's a place near me which had the First class edition for preorder...but even then it's still too pricey.

Eesh. My brother, who spends money like it's going out of fashion is planning to buy it, so at least I'll get a good look once he gets it. I could just never justify spending that much on something like that.

Kazenji
OalvWEJCZBA

Jmanghan
I'm thinking...

Genesis got teased at the end of Dirge of Cerberus, so do ya think he'll be a secret boss or something? I feel like that was probably the best part of that horrible game.

It made me feel like they were going to end the series with a true resurrection of Sephiroth, teamed up with Weiss and Genesis. Though you'd think after Zack ****ed him up he'd have tried to do better, as a person.

I want this to be an FFVII remake, but I also want it to be more, I want closure on this damn series lol.

Dirge of Cerberus was the last chronological entry in the series and it ended with a cliffhanger, this secret organization that recruited Genesis and Weiss.

Zack's dead of course, no bringing him back, but Genesis and Weiss aren't dead, and with Sephiroth returning all the goddamn time, you'd think Genesis and that organization would find a way to bring him back and finally have their climactic showdown.

Maybe on top of this REMAKE they can conclude the series after this game.

ares834
**** no. Dirge was awful. They are best pretending it never existed in the first place.

Kazenji
That game was that bad?

Nemesis X
That game was that bad?

Nope. It's fun blasting things around as Vincent.

Kazenji
Maybe if they ever released it in the PS2 classics on the PSN or do a remaster i'll check it out.

Jmanghan
**** no. Dirge was awful. They are best pretending it never existed in the first place. The game sucks, but Genesis is ****ing awesome and that secret ending was the best part of the game.

-Pr-
OalvWEJCZBA

Max is awesome. He brought out a new video later on talking about playing the media demo again, and he talked about how characters have stances now (one for light attacks, one for heavy), and about how certain moves can combo together to do extra damage.

So it looks like even the hack and slash stuff is going to have decent depth to it.

Kazenji
Max is awesome. He brought out a new video later on talking about playing the media demo again, and he talked about how characters have stances now (one for light attacks, one for heavy), and about how certain moves can combo together to do extra damage.

So it looks like even the hack and slash stuff is going to have decent depth to it.

I like the story he brings up in that video, How his reaction video to the first FF7 remake trailer is helping the people on the remake get motivated whenever they're getting frustrated or down.

Surtur
This game brings back memories. I remember not playing it until around 1999 and it was on PC. I had to hunt down special video codecs and stuff just to get it to run.

I have the cosmo canyon theme song downloaded on my PC.

-Pr-
I like the story he brings up in that video, How his reaction video to the first FF7 remake trailer is helping the people on the remake get motivated whenever they're getting frustrated or down.

Yeah, it just goes to show how a lot of the people at Square do genuinely want to bring the best version of the game out.

I just hope this weird "ethics committee" stuff and Sony being Sony don't mess with it too much. My expectation is that it'll be fine in the end... Assuming they actually finish the damn thing and don't get two parts in before deciding to scrap the rest of it.

Originally posted by Surtur
This game brings back memories. I remember not playing it until around 1999 and it was on PC. I had to hunt down special video codecs and stuff just to get it to run.

I have the cosmo canyon theme song downloaded on my PC.

The music is fantastic, though that's always been a staple of the series, imo.

Trocity
My buddy told me that this first game is only about 10% of the entire story. That this game will only take place in Midgar.

If that is true, it's a no from me dawg.

Jmanghan
My buddy told me that this first game is only about 10% of the entire story. That this game will only take place in Midgar.

If that is true, it's a no from me dawg. ???

That wouldn't make any sense in any way. Lmao.

I found this but you should really take "the Sun's" articles with a grain of salt: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/9284189/final-fantasy-vii-remake-five-games-looks-great/

Jmanghan
https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-feels-great-to-play-but-the-p-1835426634

Lol never mind, this is a really stupid business model.

People love FFVII, but making the game that small is going to make them look incredibly dumb.

Thats like MGS Ground Zeroes level of ****ery. (and needless to say that is not good.)

Kazenji

If that is true, it's a no from me dawg.

It might be only 10% of the story but the first episode has the same length as any of the other Final Fantasy games.

Jmanghan
It might be only 10% of the story but the first episode has the same length as any of the other Final Fantasy games. Zenji man, that doesn't make any sense at all.

It's 10% of the story but it's worth 100% of the original game's story?...

It might last as long as something like Chrono Trigger, which is around 15-20 hours.

ares834
I'd be fine if it was that length. Honestly, my concern is less the length of the game and more whether it will be padded out with bland filler.

Kazenji
Zenji man, that doesn't make any sense at all.

It's 10% of the story but it's worth 100% of the original game's story?...

It might last as long as something like Chrono Trigger, which is around 15-20 hours.

"Shrugs"....makes alot of sense to me

but i agree with ares, As long as it's not padded with filler.

Nemesis X
Y'know I didn't mind how Tifa looks in the Remake but when you find out Sony forced Square Enix to have their devs go through an "ethics department" to find what's "inappropriate" with Tifa's current model as a result, suddenly you do. Like really?

https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/19/18691773/square-enix-tifa-redesign-chest-final-fantasy-7-remake

Square says they have an ethics department that was totally there for a long time after having been asked why Tifa looks different from her past versions. They don't say Sony made them alter her looks but eversince they enforced those censorship policies, is it really that hard to believe that happened?

Mind you, I'm not mad at the deflated chest itself. If it's what the devs planned from the get-go, fine but to waste time changing her is...buh. Someone legit wasted the time and resource to make a serious team of people monitor fictional characters bazoogles and sound the alarm at the sight of the slightest jiggle. Are you $@#&ing kidding me? That's as pointless if Nick Fury created the Avengers just to have 'em run his yard sale for him!

Kazenji
Would've thought you'd be one of these people complaining about Tifa wearing a sports bra.

Nemesis X
Would've thought you'd be one of these people complaining about Tifa wearing a sports bra.

Seriously, that become your first thought from all that?! lol

Well I guess technically I am? Sports bra Tifa wasn't even the first Tifa of this game. She looked as you would expect but again, someone from Sony got triggered and wanted her changed. What's the point of the ESRB existing then? It's stupid.

Only reason Tifa looks normal in Dissidia if you're wondering btw is 'cause Team Ninja is trying to fight the BS.

Impediment

cdtm
Depends on how they nickle and dime it.

I don't care how standard the practice of microtransactions are, that sort of thing just cheapens nostalgia trips.

-Pr-

Impediment
I hope the cross dressing side mission is included.

-Pr-
I don't think we'll get a 1:1 faithful recreation of it. One the one hand, showing some of that content with blocky sprites lets you get away with a lot more than hyper-detailed, high-poly models would. That, and Squeenix has been very trigger happy lately when it comes to censorship, partially I'm guessing because of Sony being such absolute shitebags about stuff.

I am hoping that they keep a lot of the oddball humour that was in 7 though, so fingers crossed.

For anyone interested, Tokyo Game Show is this weekend, and Square has said that there'll be new FF7 stuff at it like Shinra character reveals/designs.

SquallX
I hope the cross dressing side mission is included.

They might remove it because of stupid people crying about everything.

Look at Siren from 8 remastered. They censored her because morons started bitching about it.

Kazenji
Originally posted by SquallX

Look at Siren from 8 remastered. They censored her because morons started bitching about it.

Just looked that up i have, Covered up her genital area and yet Shiva gets a free pass.

cdtm
Reportedly because of the ethics department complaining.

So even Japan is suffering through a rash of like departments with way too much power that stick their nose in everything? (Here in the states, it tends to be equity departments that are the problem.)

Impediment
I wonder if materia, weapons, and summons will be DLC.

cdtm

God, I hope not.

Watch them make weapon parts, or the best junctions, iap in the 8 remake.

-Pr-

Preordering stuff does get you extra summons that aren't in the base game, but they're also summons that were never in the original, so I feel like it's not as bad.

As long as it's extra stuff that wasn't in the original, I don't mind tbh.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>