Can the Military defeat an alien invasion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AgentJay04
It may seem like the answer is no but there are many variables. Depending on what level their technology is on. Our guns may seem like stone age weapons do to us. If they're like Covenant kind that glass planets, we wouldn't stand a chance unless we managed to hijack one of their ships and reverse engineer it to create our own. If it is a super advanced Forerunner Empire, Let me just say, I hope they like kittens.

Bardock42
Well, I guess that settles that.

StyleTime
Originally posted by AgentJay04
there are many variables.
You nailed it. Didn't even need us.

Omega Vision
No. Even in fiction, Earth militaries only defeat alien invasions because of plot devices (like in ID4) or because of alien infighting + plot devices (like in V).

Robtard
War of the Worlds had the best device in humanity surviving an alien invasion, imo.

Shakyamunison
If an alien race can travel from their star system to ours, then there technology is far beyond us. It would be like a modern day army going up against rocks and spears. They would wipe us out if they wished to.

FinalAnswer
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwar_series

something like this

Star428
Yes, they can. I've done it many times already commanding so-called "elite" troops in the game XCOM: EU and XCOM: EW on the hardest level. stick out tongue

Sacred Fire
Originally posted by Omega Vision
No. Even in fiction, Earth militaries only defeat alien invasions because of plot devices (like in ID4) or because of alien infighting + plot devices (like in V).

Surtur
It may seem like the answer is no but there are many variables. Depending on what level their technology is on. Our guns may seem like stone age weapons do to us. If they're like Covenant kind that glass planets, we wouldn't stand a chance unless we managed to hijack one of their ships and reverse engineer it to create our own. If it is a super advanced Forerunner Empire, Let me just say, I hope they like kittens.

The answer is of course no we couldn't defeat an alien invasion, even if every military on the planet joined forces.

Scary thing is some people think we could Vietnam these aliens. As in, do what the vietcong did: not able to win a war and lacking the gear their opponents did..their knowledge of their surroundings, etc. allowed them to fend off the "invaders". They think we could do something similar with aliens. The problem is the gap between the tech of the vietcong and US military is utterly miniscule compared to our technology and the tech needed to traverse galaxies.

riv6672
Everyone's covered the ehy of the no.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Robtard
War of the Worlds had the best device in humanity surviving an alien invasion, imo.
I've been a spectator to a really involved argument (on a school bus no less) about whether that ending makes any scientific sense. One guy was saying that it wouldn't have worked because there's no guarantee earth bacteria would be compatible with alien lifeforms. I'm not a biologist so I can't comment.

jaden101
Depends on their goal. If it's simply to wipe out everything then there's probably nothing we could do. Chances are their tech would allow them to do it without us even knowing they were there. If it's to capture the planet for resources then we could probably **** things up enough that it wouldn't be worth their effort then they'd probably wipe everything out anyway.

Mindset
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
If an alien race can travel from their star system to ours, then there technology is far beyond us. It would be like a modern day army going up against rocks and spears. They would wipe us out if they wished to. What if the aliens are from our moon?

Robtard
I've been a spectator to a really involved argument (on a school bus no less) about whether that ending makes any scientific sense. One guy was saying that it wouldn't have worked because there's no guarantee earth bacteria would be compatible with alien lifeforms. I'm not a biologist so I can't comment.

I thought it was a virus or a combination of viruses that took out the aliens, at least in the remake. Can't remember in the original.

Though I guess that same argument would still stand, unless one could argue that an earth bound virus had viral sex with an alien virus they carried and the hybrid-virus is what killed them.

edit: You should have calmly risen from your seat, walked over nonchalantly and *****-slapped that kid while saying "It's just a movie, nerd!"

Omega Vision
I thought it was a virus or a combination of viruses that took out the aliens, at least in the remake. Can't remember in the original.

Though I guess that same argument would still stand, unless one could argue that an earth bound virus had viral sex with an alien virus they carried and the hybrid-virus is what killed them.

edit: You should have calmly risen from your seat, walked over nonchalantly and *****-slapped that kid while saying "It's just a movie, nerd!"
Well that second theory isn't applicable because in the book it says that the Martians have eradicated all viruses and harmful bacteria on Mars. Of course, this is the (non-omniscient) narrator's claim, and isn't necessarily factual.

marwash22
The wouldn't need to because everyone knows Aliens can't even survive in our atmosphere. erm

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindset
What if the aliens are from our moon?

Then we are doomed. Because there are no aliens on the moon, as far as we can tell. Imagine fighting an enemy that you can't see.

Robtard
Well that second theory isn't applicable because in the book it says that the Martians have eradicated all viruses and harmful bacteria on Mars. Of course, this is the (non-omniscient) narrator's claim, and isn't necessarily factual.

You book nerd, you.

But I assume the writer was using that as being their downfall, their actions effectively made them vulnerable. Stupid Martians.

Omega Vision
You book nerd, you.

But I assume the writer was using that as being their downfall, their actions effectively made them vulnerable. Stupid Martians.
The movie makes it much worse. In the book, Wells goes out of his way to explain both why the Martians are so ruthless and why they're so reckless with their invasion: their planet is basically uninhabitable and their civilization is ending. The implication is that this is something that's been forced on them, and that before then they'd never had any designs on Earth. They probably weren't even a warlike people. In the movie, we get no such information, and the fact that they teleport pilots into buried tripods suggests that they were planning the invasion for centuries at the least. It would be like a human military planning an invasion of South America for ten years (and sending scouts to map out the territory) and never once considering to prepare for malaria.

Robtard
Speaking of, I have the book on my Kindle. Should probably get around to reading it one of these days.

Did enjoy The Island of Dr. Moreau, my only venture into Wells.

Omega Vision
War of the Worlds is his best book. The battle between HMS Thunderchild and the three tripods in the channel is one of the greatest moments of science fiction, and I've always been disappointed how none of the major adaptations have anything like it.

Surtur
So speaking of aliens the latest episode of "UFO Files" on the History channel made some strange claims. Well the claims came from people who used to work for the government. According to one gentlemen he was what is known as an "interfacer". Someone whose job it is to interface with an alien entity in order to telepathically communicate with it. Oh and you can't be trained for it, rather the government tries to recruit people for it that the aliens have taken a "special" interest in. He said he tried to join the army but was rejected for health reasons. Then soon after he got a call back that he was suddenly in the army. Obviously because the aliens told the government he was cool.

I'm not even joking, the guy said the government gave him a guide book which documented at least 50 different species of alien the government has supposedly come into contact with.

Oh and it is apparently true the aliens do not do well in our atmosphere. Apparently they had to keep an alien inside some chamber with special gases, etc. because it could not survive long in our atmosphere.

But it gets better: this guy says he helped the alien escape because the alien telepathically warned him that his alien buddies were going to come and break him out and also kill everyone at the base. So he tells the entire base to leave the base because the alien wants to show him something and will show only him.

They actually fall for it and he helps the thing escape and as soon as it gets outside the fence it disappears in a flash of light. The guy isn't really punished for this because the guy in command apparently was aware that soldiers had been killed in the past over similar incidents with alien entities trying to rescues ones we have in captivity.

The most disturbing thing about that entire thing if it is true..is not that aliens exist. It is that our government is hilariously inept.

jinXed by JaNx
Until man is capable of cloning Bruce Lee there is no scenario where we survive a malevolent alien invasion.

AgentJay04
What if the aliens have biosuits? Protects them against the diseases on Earth. What if we try to launch a bunch of nukes into their fleet, their ships probably have shielding technology and our nukes wouldn't even make a scratch. Now if they're from Mars, we might have a chance.

Shakyamunison
What if the aliens have biosuits? Protects them against the diseases on Earth. What if we try to launch a bunch of nukes into their fleet, their ships probably have shielding technology and our nukes wouldn't even make a scratch. Now if they're from Mars, we might have a chance.

What if the destroy us with drones, and never leave there home world until we are gone?

Bentley
War of the Worlds is his best book.

I disagree. However it's the most popular one for a number of very valid reasons.

I think there is a chance bacteria could adapt to prey in Alien life forms given a certain number of weeks. What it's doubtul is whether or not they would downright erradicate such life form in a drastical way, and that it would be such an easy to carry and sleeper sickness. Lacking of natural resistance to illness does make you incredibly weaker to infections, but it shouldn't make them easier to pass on just because of it.

S_W_LeGenD
Humans are likely the most powerful living beings in the Universe. If something will wipe us out, it will be either a cosmic event or mother nature.

Star428
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Humans are likely the most powerful living beings in the Universe.

LMAO.

Mindship
Regarding the WOTW "bacterial defense": as I understand it, when HG wrote the novel, the discovery of microorganisms was relatively new; and as any good scifi writer would do, he incorporated it into his story. At the time it made sense and was a wonderful, "surprise" resolution.

Upon reflection years later, my nit-picky problem with the ending is this: when we -- with our 1960s science and knowledge -- returned from the Moon -- the (supposedly) lifeless Moon! -- we still quarantined the astronauts, just in case.

Wouldn't aliens advanced enough for interplanetary (and especially interstellar) flight be even more aware of possible contagion -- especially on a planet where the majority of biomass is bacteria -- and take advanced precautions (eg, an "antibacterial EM field"/whatever)?

As for our "advantage" regarding an Asymmetric conflict, or the alien "disadvantage" of logistics: at best, this may extend the time it takes for us to get wiped out.

Of course, this does all depend on what is attacking us and how. We could survive careless, bio-naive Martians but would be utterly helpless against construction-team Volgons.

Surtur
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Humans are likely the most powerful living beings in the Universe.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who played "Advent Rising".

The Nuul
Nope, if Alien tech has the tech and power to reach us, then they would kick our asses in. Mother nature reminds us, again, and again on how small and tiny we are.

Mindset
Originally posted by Mindship
Regarding the WOTW "bacterial defense": as I understand it, when HG wrote the novel, the discovery of microorganisms was relatively new; and as any good scifi writer would do, he incorporated it into his story. At the time it made sense and was a wonderful, "surprise" resolution.

Upon reflection years later, my nit-picky problem with the ending is this: when we -- with our 1960s science and knowledge -- returned from the Moon -- the (supposedly) lifeless Moon! -- we still quarantined the astronauts, just in case.

Wouldn't aliens advanced enough for interplanetary (and especially interstellar) flight be even more aware of possible contagion -- especially on a planet where the majority of biomass is bacteria -- and take advanced precautions (eg, an "antibacterial EM field"/whatever)?

As for our "advantage" regarding an Asymmetric conflict, or the alien "disadvantage" of logistics: at best, this may extend the time it takes for us to get wiped out.

Of course, this does all depend on what is attacking us and how. We could survive careless, bio-naive Martians but would be utterly helpless against construction-team Volgons. Someone would have sex with an alien and create super ET aids, which would eventually defeat them.

And that someone will be me, you're welcome.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Bentley
I disagree. However it's the most popular one for a number of very valid reasons.

I think there is a chance bacteria could adapt to prey in Alien life forms given a certain number of weeks. What it's doubtul is whether or not they would downright erradicate such life form in a drastical way, and that it would be such an easy to carry and sleeper sickness. Lacking of natural resistance to illness does make you incredibly weaker to infections, but it shouldn't make them easier to pass on just because of it.
What's his best one for you?

Time Machine? First Men on the Moon? Invisible Man?

And I think it being his most popular book is a great argument for why it's his best one. When you come 70 or so years down the road from an author's death, the old criteria for assessing an author's work starts to fall aside, and the important consideration is what that author left behind that's memorable and culturally significant.

Take Fitzgerald. Many will point out that Great Gatsby isn't his best written or best plotted work, but no one can seriously argue it's not his "greatest" book because it's what's made his legacy.

But feel free to disagree (and that's not supposed to be snide or passive aggressive, I mean it--this is just my view).

Mindship
Originally posted by Mindset
Someone would have sex with an alien and create super ET aids, which would eventually defeat them.

And that someone will be me, you're welcome.

http://images.f169bbs.com/memes/ancient-aliens-guy/5-imagine-the-possibilities.jpg

Time-Immemorial
It's common knowledge that government works with Aliens and have been for a time. Look up the Majestic Twelve.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
It's common knowledge that government works with Aliens and have been for a time. Look up the Majestic Twelve.
I think it would be funny if our governments were working with aliens, not realizing that rather than being representatives of a powerful alien empire, their extraterrestrial contacts were the equivalents of frat boys on vacation. It would explain the cow mutilations and anal probing.

One Big Mob
It's a little known fact that all aliens use muzzleloaders.

It'd be like the Civil War vs whatever America is doing to sandland. The world is too fast, 2 furious for alien scum.

Stoic
I don't particularly believe in Aliens unless we are speaking of the ones listed as such on this planet, by Customs Agents. So on that note let's pretend that they actually did exist, or more to the tune what if we were these Aliens, and found a way of traveling back in time? My question would be; Could we defeat an advanced civilization, or technology thousands of years ahead of our own? Never. It would be like our military's might failing to defeat King Arthur's forces. We saw the mismatch in our time when we went over to the Middle East. We had tanks versus men on horses. We would lose, and lose terribly at that. If we were to go to war against a military armed with technology far superior to our own, I'd imagine it to be like expecting an F-18 to defeat the Star Trek Enterprise.

Time-Immemorial
I think it would be funny if our governments were working with aliens, not realizing that rather than being representatives of a powerful alien empire, their extraterrestrial contacts were the equivalents of frat boys on vacation. It would explain the cow mutilations and anal probing.

The cow mutilations are for making synthetic humans and cloning humans.

Omega Vision
The cow mutilations are for making synthetic humans and cloning humans.
How so?

Time-Immemorial
DNA Manipulation.

Also

Here is something interesting that CNET released talking about synthetic humans, however of coarse, youtube deleted the account it.

http://www.cnet.com/news/creepy-ad-tries-to-sell-you-a-synthetic-human/

riv6672
Originally posted by Surtur
So speaking of aliens the latest episode of "UFO Files" on the History channel made some strange claims. Well the claims came from people who used to work for the government. According to one gentlemen he was what is known as an "interfacer". Someone whose job it is to interface with an alien entity in order to telepathically communicate with it. Oh and you can't be trained for it, rather the government tries to recruit people for it that the aliens have taken a "special" interest in. He said he tried to join the army but was rejected for health reasons. Then soon after he got a call back that he was suddenly in the army. Obviously because the aliens told the government he was cool.

I'm not even joking, the guy said the government gave him a guide book which documented at least 50 different species of alien the government has supposedly come into contact with.

Oh and it is apparently true the aliens do not do well in our atmosphere. Apparently they had to keep an alien inside some chamber with special gases, etc. because it could not survive long in our atmosphere.

But it gets better: this guy says he helped the alien escape because the alien telepathically warned him that his alien buddies were going to come and break him out and also kill everyone at the base. So he tells the entire base to leave the base because the alien wants to show him something and will show only him.

They actually fall for it and he helps the thing escape and as soon as it gets outside the fence it disappears in a flash of light. The guy isn't really punished for this because the guy in commande. apparently was aware that soldiers had been killed in the past over similar incidents with alien entities trying to rescues ones we have in captivity.

The most disturbing thing about that entire thing if it is true..is not that aliens exist. It is that our government is hilariously inept.
I caught this episode. Suspended my disbelief and quite enjoyed it!

Omega Vision
DNA Manipulation.

Also

Here is something interesting that CNET released talking about synthetic humans, however of coarse, youtube deleted the account it.

http://www.cnet.com/news/creepy-ad-tries-to-sell-you-a-synthetic-human/
But why cows? What would be the use of cows if they're trying to manipulate human DNA?

riv6672
But why cows? What would be the use of cows if they're trying to manipulate human DNA?
http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1335474611l/12925656.jpg

Time-Immemorial

Were you expecting serious answers in a aliens thread? laughing

Didn't you seem them using frog DNA in dinosaurs..I mean cmon.

Omega Vision
Were you expecting serious answers in a aliens thread? laughing

Didn't you seem them using frog DNA in dinosaurs..I mean cmon.
So...you're suggesting we create a Jurassic Park type attraction by splicing cow and human DNA?

I'm willing to put down a couple million in VC if you'll match me.

Time-Immemorial
Ok, now we need a plan to make a couple million and you got yourself a deal.

Mindship
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/66/5f/51/665f5160d2dd3168052f7c89ac1d5a5c.jpg

riv6672
Beef stroganoff just took on a new meaning.... devil

Surtur
Originally posted by One Big Mob
It's a little known fact that all aliens use muzzleloaders.

It'd be like the Civil War vs whatever America is doing to sandland. The world is too fast, 2 furious for alien scum.

Well apparently there were all kinds of aliens around during the Civil War. Even theories that these ET's sent visions to Abraham Lincoln.

George Washington himself once reported meeting an "alien" that told him about the future of America and about the upcoming Civil War. Hell most of the Founding Fathers took the existence of aliens as a given. The "plurality of worlds" they called it, though they didn't invent that term.

Actually, "alien theorists" have claimed Lincoln wasn't the only one sent visions. Apparently Albert Einstein and Tesla did as well. Tesla flat out said he was talking to aliens..whereas Einstein would have weird visions..but he himself never attributed them to any outside source. Tesla used to talk about he could see in his minds eye a sort of hologram of what he wanted to invent, and he could even "spin it around, take it apart" etc.

Mindship
Originally posted by riv6672
Beef stroganoff just took on a new meaning.... devil Lol'd, I did.

Omega Vision
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/66/5f/51/665f5160d2dd3168052f7c89ac1d5a5c.jpg
Would smash. thumb up

Robtard

"My God. Women are the cows of people." -Reese Wilkerson

Robtard
Would smash. thumb up

Um, she has horns, she's clearly a tranny cow-sapien.

Tattoos N Scars
What if the aliens only stumbled upon transwarp technology, but had no further advances than Earth in military technology? A UFO with 50 caliber guns mounted on side lol.

Omega Vision
Um, she has horns, she's clearly a tranny cow-sapien.
We can't always have filet mignon.

riv6672
Well apparently there were all kinds of aliens around during the Civil War. Even theories that these ET's sent visions to Abraham Lincoln.

George Washington himself once reported meeting an "alien" that told him about the future of America and about the upcoming Civil War. Hell most of the Founding Fathers took the existence of aliens as a given. The "plurality of worlds" they called it, though they didn't invent that term.

Actually, "alien theorists" have claimed Lincoln wasn't the only one sent visions. Apparently Albert Einstein and Tesla did as well. Tesla flat out said he was talking to aliens..whereas Einstein would have weird visions..but he himself never attributed them to any outside source. Tesla used to talk about he could see in his minds eye a sort of hologram of what he wanted to invent, and he could even "spin it around, take it apart" etc.
I've seen this subject covered on dozens of "Ancient Aliens" type shows. I find it fun to think about.

AgentJay04
So you're suggesting that aliens are gonna clone us like how they did dinosaurs? Really. And you saw how well that went for InGen in the movies. Even though they had fricking .50 cal and rockets they got wrecked by velociraptors and a t-rex. And I bet these cloning facilities would be on their homeworld or an important planet. So imagine, if we got free, all the havoc we could do.

NemeBro
Um, she has horns, she's clearly a tranny cow-sapien. Pre-op or post-op?

riv6672
So you're suggesting that aliens are gonna clone us like how they did dinosaurs? Really. And you saw how well that went for InGen in the movies. Even though they had fricking .50 cal and rockets they got wrecked by velociraptors and a t-rex. And I bet these cloning facilities would be on their homeworld or an important planet. So imagine, if we got free, all the havoc we could do.
Minimal damage. I've yet to meet a naked human who can shrug off .50 cal rounds.

Surtur
Yeah see the problem with Ancient Aliens is..they are like that broken clock that is right only twice a day. They give you a few interesting facts but then sometimes they spin it in a very crazy direction. Also some of the commenters on the show are kind of..nutty. That one blonde guy has said he is the reincarnation of Edgar Cayce.

I will admit..I do like Giorgio. You can't help but like him even when he is talking crazy. You will notice they kind of focus on him. Last year they had two shows: Ancient Aliens and a show hosted specifically by Giorgio called "In Search of Aliens". But now Ancient Aliens is called "Ancient Aliens the Ultimate Evidence" and it seems it kind of combined the "In Search Of" show, because Giorgio was also on Ancient Aliens, but not as much as he is now.

I'm actually liking the "UFO Files Hangar 1" show better, because they are pulling stuff from actual case files and shit. MUFON is actually respected in the UFO community(for all the merit that brings). But it is also the go to place for police or pilots who work for airlines to go to in order to report sightings, because talking about it to their own superiors could cost them their job or otherwise hinder their career. This is why you end up with a lot of people keeping quiet until they are old and have lived their life.

Bentley
What's his best one for you?

Time Machine? First Men on the Moon? Invisible Man?

Arguably the best is the Invisible Man, but the Time Machine is more of my thing.

And I think it being his most popular book is a great argument for why it's his best one. When you come 70 or so years down the road from an author's death, the old criteria for assessing an author's work starts to fall aside, and the important consideration is what that author left behind that's memorable and culturally significant.

The popularity of a book and it's staying power is backed by many positive and objective things about it's aesthetic value, most of the time you'll be right at assuming the popular choice it's the best one. But books are written words, their net content isn't changed by the lore entertained by their readerbase.

Playing devil's advocate, I could say that if anything cultural weight decreases the value of a book. Adaptations become more relevant and better than the original work, making the original sense of it fuzzy in the mind of it's readers. Mythology is a thing that gets transformed, a book is in the opposite side of the specter.

Take Fitzgerald. Many will point out that Great Gatsby isn't his best written or best plotted work, but no one can seriously argue it's not his "greatest" book because it's what's made his legacy.

A simple statement can beat a consciously written speech when it comes to beauty.

I wouldn't equate mainstream popularity and academic credit either. Proust and Joyce are unreadable for many and lauded as great by most of their peers.

One Big Mob
I agree with Bentley. Books have words in them.

Yamcha
Aliens if they aren't trying to be helpful an are actually hostile, should man up an create a tournament where their best fighters and our best fighters are put head to head in matches for the fate of the world in a battle of fisticuffs. **** that technology BS, it's all about muscle and throwing knuckles, seeing how much the other can take with their pride on the line before the opposition drops.

riv6672
Yeah see the problem with Ancient Aliens is..they are like that broken clock that is right only twice a day. They give you a few interesting facts but then sometimes they spin it in a very crazy direction. Also some of the commenters on the show are kind of..nutty. That one blonde guy has said he is the reincarnation of Edgar Cayce.

I will admit..I do like Giorgio. You can't help but like him even when he is talking crazy. You will notice they kind of focus on him. Last year they had two shows: Ancient Aliens and a show hosted specifically by Giorgio called "In Search of Aliens". But now Ancient Aliens is called "Ancient Aliens the Ultimate Evidence" and it seems it kind of combined the "In Search Of" show, because Giorgio was also on Ancient Aliens, but not as much as he is now.

I'm actually liking the "UFO Files Hangar 1" show better, because they are pulling stuff from actual case files and shit. MUFON is actually respected in the UFO community(for all the merit that brings). But it is also the go to place for police or pilots who work for airlines to go to in order to report sightings, because talking about it to their own superiors could cost them their job or otherwise hinder their career. This is why you end up with a lot of people keeping quiet until they are old and have lived their life.

I see we watched the same shows last year!
Yeah, the shows get a little hokey, but they're fun as hell, for a comics geek like me. I like Grigorio too. He needs another show.

Bentley
Originally posted by Yamcha
Aliens if they aren't trying to be helpful an are actually hostile, should man up an create a tournament where their best fighters and our best fighters are put head to head in matches for the fate of the world in a battle of fisticuffs. **** that technology BS, it's all about muscle and throwing knuckles, seeing how much the other can take with their pride on the line before the opposition drops.

I'll vote you as Earth's ambassador.

Inhuman
I think the only realistic and viable way to win against an alien attack is to somehow shoot down and steal one of their scout ships and fly it up to the Mothership located orbiting earth. Then the scouter ship flys into the mothership nonchalantly. Once inside a virus is uploaded into their systems, bringing down their defenses. Only then do we humans have a short window to strike with all we got. FTW

Mindship
War of the Worlds is his best book. The battle between HMS Thunderchild and the three tripods in the channel is one of the greatest moments of science fiction, and I've always been disappointed how none of the major adaptations have anything like it. I forget how many times I've read WOTW, far more times than any of his other novels. But I do have to disagree about George Pal's adaptation. The battle scene, starting with the priest walking out and reciting Psalm 23, is perhaps the best alien battle scene in moviedom, way better (imo) than the crowded-skies-dogfighting (eg, ID4), which has since become the "standard" (t.y. Star Wars).

Originally posted by Bentley
Arguably the best is the Invisible Man, but the Time Machine is more of my thing.Have you read Stephen Baxter's follow-up, The Time Ships? Imo, it is a fantastic (if long-winded) "sequel," especially if you're familiar with his Xeelee Sequence series.

Omega Vision
I forget how many times I've read WOTW, far more times than any of his other novels. But I do have to disagree about George Pal's adaptation. The battle scene, starting with the priest walking out and reciting Psalm 23, is perhaps the best alien battle scene in moviedom, way better (imo) than the crowded-skies-dogfighting (eg, ID4), which has since become the "standard" (t.y. Star Wars).

I think the Pal adaptation doesn't have anything like the Thunderchild because the point of HMS Thunderchild was that it gave humanity just a bit of hope that the Martians could be defeated by force of arms. This hope was effectively erased when the Martians started building flying machines (before they started dying off), but it was what made that moment so special, and at no point in any of the major adaptations does such a moment come.

I guess in the recent one, there is the scene where Tom Cruise destroys a tripod by basically almost suicide bombing it, but I'm not sure if that counts.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.