Uber

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
Like or Dislike?

Time-Immemorial
Taxi drivers in Paris went crazy about Uber.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/26/europe/france-paris-uberpop-protests/

Bardock42
Uber is kinda dislikable, particularly the people in charge, but, a lot of the rules around transportation are archaic and stupid and should be changed. It's an interesting company, and they are doing some pretty amazing stuff, that will likely only really pay off in the long term, so I am always curious to hear more about them.

dadudemon
I like them. Never used them.

When they have SDCs, I will probably use them (assuming they cost very little more than the cost of me putting gas into my car and driving it).

I hope to see man SDC-Uber-like companies in the next 5-7.

Adam_PoE
I prefer SideCar.

Time-Immemorial
Whats the difference?

Genesis-Soldier
i have used uber before here in Australia and I have found them pretty reliable

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Whats the difference?

http://www.businessinsider.com/sidecar-versus-uber-versus-lyft-2014-2

Tzeentch
I'm an Uber driver; ask me shit (about driving for Uber, Bardock).

Bardock42
Originally posted by Tzeentch
I'm an Uber driver; ask me shit (about driving for Uber, Bardock).

How did you come to be one? How do you like it? How much are you paid? What would you like to be done differently? What do you think of the controversies with taxi drivers? Are you dating someone right now?

Tzeentch
A friend of mine introduced me to it, trying to scam me into driving for the company with a new car he'd recently bought. He wanted 400 dollars a week for the privilege, so I lol'd and just bought my own.

It's okay, I don't mind doing it to supplement the income from my day job, but I wouldn't do it full-time. You get paid per trip so the more you work the more money you get. It can be stressful if you don't like driving or don't know your way around town. You can make a lot of money if you work on party nights, but the off-set is that people throw up in your backseat and like to give each other handies. Driving all day also puts a lot of stress on your car, and you have to file taxes as an independent contractor, which can be kind of stressful for people who are used to just filling out a W2 on turbo-tax.

I make about 50 dollars an hour gross. Uber takes 20% off the top, and you should take another 25% off for taxes, gas and car maintenance, so net I make about 25 an hour.

The most annoying thing about driving is that people exploit the pre-determined flat-rate by having you make multiple trips once they're in your car. A common thing passengers do is get in your car as a group, and once you're under way one kf them asks if you can drop them off somewhere "on the way" to the programmed destination. This is whack af because you can't reprogram the destination/fare once it's been put in, so they'll basically get a free ride. This also lengthens the amount of time it takes to complete your trip, which is frustrating since you get paid per trip. It would be nice if Uber allowed the passenger to alter the trip destination at will.

On the one hand, the way taxis calculate fares is incredibly exploitive toward the rider, so **** them. On the other hand, Uber is basically a loophole of how taxi srrvices work, and I think taxi companies have a good argument in criticising the low standards and requirements it takes to become an Uber driver.

The road of MGTOW is a lonely, homo-erotic one.

Bardock42
How long have you been doing it. What are the requirements to become a driver. What car do you drive and how much did it cost? How are you notified about a drive and what do you have to do before during and after a drive? Have riders been rude or dangerous? Are you worried about dangerous drivers? What was your favourite drive? Have you used uber as a user? How much time do you spent driving for Uber on average? What's your day job? What's your eye color?

Tzeentch
I've been doing it for about a month- have done roughly 40 trips. I only work weekends.

I dunno what the requirements are. The hiring process was me registering an Uber account online, going to their parking lot in downtown SF and giving them a copy of my license and registration. They spent about 10 minutes walking around my car in circles, then led me into a tent where some chick with an Ipad took down my email, phone number and social. That took about 5 minutes, then they handed me a sticker and said I was ready to drive.

I drive a 2012 Ford Fusion- it cost ~$13000. She's white, and I only give her cheap regular gas because I don't love them hoes.

I'm notified about a passenger request on the Uber app, which I have on my LG phone. The process is get a trip request -> drive to passenger location given on the app -> pick up passenger -> drive to the location given by passenger. Upon reaching the destination, I hit trip completed" on the app and it tells me how much money I made (net).

I've had two shitty trips, one with a college student barfing on the back of my chair, and a white chick giving her bald super-dark man a handjob in the back seat.

Did you mean dangerous passengers? No. I'm big and black and could beat up any white man in the world in a fight. Black men are too poor to use Uber.

My favorite drive was a couple of black chicks I picked up from a club. I got a tip from one and a number from the other.

I have been a passenger for Uber. I prefer it to using a taxi because the fair calculation is less predatory.

I spend about 4-5 hours a week driving for Uber.

My full-time job is as a house nigga at the Claremont resort, in Berkeley.

My eye color is brown, with a shade of profound melancholy.

Omega Vision
I dislike that everyone pronounces it "Ooober" as if there were an umlaut, when the way it's spelled it should be pronounced "Uhber" g_serious

Shows a criminal disrespect for Umlauts

Sacred Fire
I'm big and black and could beat up any white man in the world in a fight.

Challenge accepted! If you ever come through Austin in a year or two, we'll work this shit out. big grin

Badabing
I'm big and black and could beat up any white man in the world in a fight. Shut up. You're a vegan, mutant loving, Mac using, hipster. I'll slap you into an albino! sneerOriginally posted by Omega Vision
I dislike that everyone pronounces it "Ooober" as if there were an umlaut, when the way it's spelled it should be pronounced "Uhber" g_serious

Shows a criminal disrespect for Umlauts And you shut up too, with your snobby last name. It's pronounced OOOOOBER! So sayeth Raptor Bada. sneer

NemeBro
I could beat everyone in this thread up at the same time while power bottoming for Lexington Steel, stfu.

Tzeentch
But I am Lexington Steel.

psmith81992
Uber.. So goddamn hipster. I'll take my Avalon thanks.

Sacred Fire
Originally posted by NemeBro
I could beat everyone in this thread up at the same time while power bottoming for Lexington Steel, stfu.
But I am Lexington Steel.

In that case, if Blax shows up, you can be there to follow through on that.

BackFire
I just drive where I want to go. Works out.

Tzeentch
I'll work out that butt if you don't calm down.

BackFire
Not really giving me a reason to calm down, then. Uber me up, baby.

StyleTime
I've used Uber and Lyft several times but I mostly use them when I am too drunk to drive myself.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.