Supreme Court upholds Affordable Care Act

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bardock42
This seems to have gone under, particularly with the other big Supreme Court decision. But the Supreme Court has upheld parts of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) once again.

Additionally, Paul Krugman has written an op-ed about Obamacare, largely in favour of it, and claiming that it has done a lot of good in the relatively short time that it's been live. Claiming that it 1) has insured many more people than have ever had insurance in the US before 2) those covered have a high level of satisfaction with their plans 3) premiums are far lower than was expected and low by historical standards 4) growth of health spending has been slowed 5) it has not cost jobs, on the contrary there have been increases in jobs every month 6) it had no negative effect on the deficit and repealing it would.

So, a couple years in, what's everyone's opinion?

Q99
My opinion is, it came in under-budget and despite the glitches, it's been a reasonably successful extension of a policy that other states have had for years (Massachusetts) or decades (Hawaii).

It's been a definite improvement over what came before, even if it could be better.

psmith81992
I don't take stock in anything Krugman says. He was an economic disaster for this country and made Bernanke seem like a genius, and I'm not sure he has sound understanding of economics but that's just me.. I have definitely noticed rising costs in some areas while others haven't been affected. Also, a lot of doctors aren't taking "obamacare", as is their right. I haven't seen anything that definitively shows a positive or a negative impact yet, other than giving more people basic healthcare. As far as larger lines, I haven't seen that either but I don't go to doctors that take Obamacare.

Q99
Originally posted by psmith81992
I don't take stock in anything Krugman says. He was an economic disaster for this country and made Bernanke seem like a genius, and I'm not sure he has sound understanding of economics but that's just me.. I have definitely noticed rising costs in some areas while others haven't been affected.

Krugman's generally been pretty bang-on in my experience. Stuff like austerity was a disaster in other countries, while meanwhile us, who skewed closer to Krugman, did fairly well.

If you aren't one of the previously uninsured, that's about as it should be.

Nothing's worse for you, but things are better for millions with either plans they couldn't get before, or crap-plans* replaced with good plans.

*Ones with such a low cap that they aren't good for much more than a broken limb.

psmith81992
Eh, I've read a lot of his stuff and I think he's on Bernanke's level of economic proficiency. But I'm not really in a position to challenge his op-ed. I know I've seen some numbers portraying Obamacare in a negative light, I'll look for those if they have some validity to them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.