unloading comics....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
this topic may not net a bunch of responses, but i am curious--i know some of you have pretty extensive collections. do any of you own or run your own comic shops? have any of you ever tried unloading a full collection (i mean have any of you tried SELLING your collections)? i'm in the midst of attempting to do so. i've somewhere between 5-6000 books. they start in the late 70s, move through the 80s, 90s and well into the 2000s before my collecting days petered out maybe...7-8 years ago. i've some exceptional highlights (ff #'s 48-50, ironman #1, ss v1 #1, cap v1 #100, hulk 180, 181, etc....) but...i'm having trouble moving the books. i really want to get rid of the whole collection en masse. anyone tried doing this? anyone had success?? anyone know where i could look??? just curious about the experiences of others in this area.

The Nuul
I tried to sell a few of my kinda rare comics, and they offered peanuts for them. They all want comics from the early 70's or order, anything newer than early 70's is worth nothing. I know the owner of a comic book shop, we are friends. I tried selling this one, but I didn't.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080831180657/marveldatabase/images/3/31/Incredible_Hulk_Vol_1_340.jpg

The Nuul
This is the stuff the comic book stores want.

http://s28.postimg.org/c3z9setwd/1535000_810771315617820_350455778_n.jpg

Digi
No ideas, just some empathy for your situation. I was moving and wanted to unload a decent portion of my collection. It was all too modern to be worth much, so I dumped probably 500 issues of random things before the move.

Granted, I still have the majority of my original collection, and it's the stuff that is at least a little more specific (books I followed for years instead of random issues). But I suppose at some point I'll either donate most of it as well, give them away to collectors for basically free, or throw them out.

Scoobless
Don't "dump" anything ... at least give them to a charity store or something. When I helped my folks move house I gave away like a hundred old books (not comics) to one of those stores for free.

On the other side, I got started reading comics when my cousin gave me his entire collection of 80's transformers comics when I was 5. That was the first time I read anything just because I wanted to, it really helped my vocabulary at the time as well... I remember asking my dad what "insane" meant (was in reference to Megatron) he picked up a dictionary, showed me how to check words and just left it with me.

So yeah, if you don't have younger relatives, maybe your friends do, just don't dump them.

Galan007
Nobody wants to buy this crap, leo. sneer

leonidas
the interwebs and downloading have corrupted you. sneer

leonidas
so...got $4500 for them. sold to a collector who lives close to me. not what i was hoping for, but a decent enough deal. but it was harder to get rid of them then i thought... sad

The Nuul
Congrats Leo. thumb up

-Pr-
Is it much less than you were hoping?

leonidas
well, it is now. turns out one of the major books (hulk 181) was missing the stamp that i...didn't even know existed. so i had to return $1000. sad

still, not all terrible i guess. i wish i could have gotten more, but comics are sooo damn hard to get rid of. you either try selling them piecemeal (then all you're left with after months of effort is crap) or...you take what someone is willing to give you. i don't think i made out terrible, even given the hulk issue. but you always hope for more.... i do have some space freed up in my house though. thumb up

Galan007
Why didn't you tell the buyer to pound sand? He bought the collection as-is. F*ck refunds.

leonidas
i know, i know....could ahve, maybe should have. but he bought the book under the impression it was complete, so..... sad

Endless Mike
There are some issues I need to complete my respect thread that I can't find... I might be interested if you have them

Galan007
Originally posted by leonidas
i know, i know....could ahve, maybe should have. but he bought the book under the impression it was complete, so..... sad You're too nice irl. uhuh

Badabing
this topic may not net a bunch of responses, but i am curious--i know some of you have pretty extensive collections. do any of you own or run your own comic shops? have any of you ever tried unloading a full collection (i mean have any of you tried SELLING your collections)? i'm in the midst of attempting to do so. i've somewhere between 5-6000 books. they start in the late 70s, move through the 80s, 90s and well into the 2000s before my collecting days petered out maybe...7-8 years ago. i've some exceptional highlights (ff #'s 48-50, ironman #1, ss v1 #1, cap v1 #100, hulk 180, 181, etc....) but...i'm having trouble moving the books. i really want to get rid of the whole collection en masse. anyone tried doing this? anyone had success?? anyone know where i could look??? just curious about the experiences of others in this area. I just gave away most of my comics last month. I believe there were 38 boxes and I gave away 37. I was going to donate them but happened to run into a person who overheard me talking about the donation.

I was going to try and sell them but the logistics, and expense, of shipping that many boxes was too much.

-Pr-
well, it is now. turns out one of the major books (hulk 181) was missing the stamp that i...didn't even know existed. so i had to return $1000. sad

still, not all terrible i guess. i wish i could have gotten more, but comics are sooo damn hard to get rid of. you either try selling them piecemeal (then all you're left with after months of effort is crap) or...you take what someone is willing to give you. i don't think i made out terrible, even given the hulk issue. but you always hope for more.... i do have some space freed up in my house though. thumb up

...Shit.

Gadabout
Well this is somewhat off topic, but I had a fairly large collection starting from the early to mid 70's through the early nineties. I started reading/buying/collecting around '79 up till bout 93 when I got married (women just don't understand-lol).
But the bulk of my collection I had boxed and left home when I left for the wide world back in '86
. I went home for Thanksgiving the year I was married and to my horror two of my nephews had gone through and basically destroyed my entire collection along with hundreds of albums I had also stored away.
That pretty much killed my desire to continue collecting and I was being harassed about what I had with me at our apartment-so holding onto them was a problem. I never bothered with trying to sale any-I gave most of them away

Facee
Anybody interested in 10 hard drives full of DL comics? Entire collections Superman, Spiderman, SS, you name it , its there.

stick out tongue

I would never give that away evil face

leonidas
Originally posted by Badabing
I just gave away most of my comics last month. I believe there were 38 boxes and I gave away 37. I was going to donate them but happened to run into a person who overheard me talking about the donation.

I was going to try and sell them but the logistics, and expense, of shipping that many boxes was too much.

geez....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.