Is bombing effective without ground troops

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ionceknewu
Is a bombing campaign an effective way to win a conflict?

Adam Grimes
If your goal is to get bombed too, yes.

jaden101
Originally posted by Ionceknewu

Ask the Japanese.

Flyattractor
You know we did have troops in Japan after Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Mindset
Originally posted by Flyattractor
You know we did have troops in Japan after Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Doing what?

They surrendered days after we bombed them.

Flyattractor
Making SURE they stayed SURRENDERED.

That and safe guarding locations, giving humanitarian aid and all that other sissy bull shit.

Try reading a history book before it gets revised some time.

Omega Vision

That and safe guarding locations, giving humanitarian aid and all that other sissy bull shit.

Occupation is a completely different issue than achieving a military/diplomatic victory. The fact is that through a bombing campaign (and the timely Soviet invasion of Manchuria and Korea) the USA forced Japan to surrender.

Digi

Too vague a question to have any meaning. Every conflict, or military action, is rife with context. Context that clarifies, and indeed dictates, the answer to this question.

Bombing can be a retaliatory political message. Or a warning. Or part of a larger operation. Or part of an occupation. Or, backward as this may seem, part of a peacekeeping mission. Or...etc. etc.

So, to reiterate, there is no answer to your question that is satisfactory, because of the limited nature of the question itself.

Mindset

Try reading a history book before it gets revised some time. I think you missed my point, but ok.

Time-Immemorial
Funny Ush said threads with questions in them were against the rules. Wonder what happened to him and the rules when these were made.

S_W_LeGenD
Depends upon the type of weapons used.

In a conventional scenario, boots on the ground are essential to secure the objectives.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Funny Ush said threads with questions in them were against the rules. Wonder what happened to him and the rules when these were made.

I said no such thing and it is very poor form for you to make such things up.

Ionceknewu
Is a conventional bombing campaign, like the one being employed against ISIS likely to be effective without a modern ground campaign.

Surtur

The conflict ended because of the bomb. We had troops there to make sure it *stayed* ended.

Ionceknewu
Originally posted by Surtur
The conflict ended because of the bomb. We had troops there to make sure it *stayed* ended.

I'm more disturbed by his description of humanitarian aid as "sissy bullshit", not cool.

Omega Vision
I'm more disturbed by his description of humanitarian aid as "sissy bullshit", not cool.
Why are you replying to Surtur? He didn't say that.

Ionceknewu
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Why are you replying to Surtur? He didn't say that.

Because Surtur was replying to a post that did.

Omega Vision
Because Surtur was replying to a post that did.
My apologies, I must have misread the "his" as "your"

Ionceknewu
Originally posted by Omega Vision
My apologies, I must have misread the "his" as "your"

No problem.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.