Ask An Aussie Anything

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Genesis-Soldier
G'day loves (yes I have decides to go back to the usage of love) walshy had the idea of this thread and I thought well why not make it into a reality.

Anything your curious about for the local people of Australia I can give ya my best in answering or anything you want to know, I have been around almost every corner of this great land either living or camping and it is truly amazing

if I cannot answer your questions I will defer you to Dramatic Geko

walshy
you made it ! w00t

okay questions, do you really like putting shrimp on the barbie? are spiders bigger than people there? how close have you been to being killed by the various animal life?

Morning_Glory
Are the spiders really that big?

Genesis-Soldier
1. I am a massive shrimp fan and every Christmas and Australia day I have a barbeque with my family, there is always shrimp (honestly it taste better on a Barbie unless you pan fry it in butter)

2. no, spiders are not bigger then people. the biggest spiders in the world are the size of dinner plates and not found in Australia

3. the closest I was to being killed by the local wild life was being chased by a Costal Taipan in my back yard, our wild life would usually go for you unless you disturb them or get dangerously close to them

Morning_Glory
These are huge spiders

http://i60.tinypic.com/9r3cdc.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/dmwabr.jpg

Genesis-Soldier
-_- cant see them

Morning_Glory
Can you have a kangaroo as a pet like this-- actually this just seems so wrong

http://i62.tinypic.com/2nlef54.jpg

Scribble
Is it true that you guys have no interest whatsoever in Foster's lager?

Genesis-Soldier
once again I cannot see images, not really people don't have kangaroos as official pets. mostly because they are considered a pest in the outback and around the rural areas of Australia

I met a fella in Alice Springs who had a bond with a kangaroo but it wasn't his pet. it could do small tricks and what not but apart from that it lived out bush with his herd/ pod/ what ever you call a group of roo's

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by Scribble
Is it true that you guys have no interest whatsoever in Foster's lager?

no idea, that's more a personal populace question but I have seen the cans around on the streets

Blue and in the middle a orange F?

Scribble
Originally posted by Genesis-Soldier
no idea, that's more a personal populace question but I have seen the cans around on the streets

Blue and in the middle a orange F? Yeah, the adverts on British TV imply it's all you guys drink

Genesis-Soldier
hahaha

try Heineken, corona's, VB and XXXX

that basically the big 4 of beers

Genesis-Soldier
I am looking into making a sheath for my machete.

rudester
Would an Australian hug a koala bear? Even though it might scratch out their eyes?

Genesis-Soldier
yes and no, usually we tend to leave them alone and the fact that they don't always like to be hugged if they are not use to human contact tends to reinforce the fact

AsbestosFlaygon
Do poisonous/venomous creatures invade private property in a regular basis?

Genesis-Soldier
depends on locations. generally its the spiders that do this the most as snakes tend not to.

depends on the spider- red backs prefer places like the shed or outside rather then inside where its a bit less busy.

although snakes do tend to establish them selves in the roof, especially carpet snakes

riv6672
Are there any Australian sandwich shop chains? Like Subway, Blimpie's, etc? If so are they regional or nation wide? If not, where can a guy who likes sandwiches get sandwiches? Give me the deets.

walshy
whats your opinion if any on tony abbott?
what is your favourite sport? australian rules football? rugby?

|King Joker|
I hear Australians have massive penises. How big is yours?

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by riv6672
Are there any Australian sandwich shop chains? Like Subway, Blimpie's, etc? If so are they regional or nation wide? If not, where can a guy who likes sandwiches get sandwiches? Give me the deets.

we do have subways and yes they are national

I like a good sandwich so I will help you out:
- don't always go to a servo, its unlikely to find a good sandwich (sanga)
- roadhouses are your best bet when on the trip to and from a state, we aussies tend to remember the best places you can get some tucker and we rarely find a round house that wont do a good sandwich
- local area wise I would recommend finding a good, well known bakery

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by walshy
whats your opinion if any on tony abbott?
what is your favourite sport? australian rules football? rugby?

I don't like him, his stance on gay marriage and child abuse misdirection's give me the shits. yes it is hard to run a country but to keep youth unemployment on the rise to 28% is just criminal. not only that but his views against boat people and asylum seekers goes against UN laws

a lot of aussies are bogan drinking asses who are ignorant of asylum seekers but a lot of us are educated and believe in a fair go(we have rednecks just the same as you guys).

personally I like contact sports and chess. AFL is good and all but our Rugby is better

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by |King Joker|
I hear Australians have massive penises. How big is yours?

hehe I can think of quite a few ways to answer this but I think I will be sensible

the average Australian size is just above the global average.

as to your question of my personal size I can honestly say (and you can chose to believe this or not) that I am above the Australian average and I haven't found myself in a situation where size hasn't been a let down

|King Joker|
hehe I can think of quite a few ways to answer this but I think I will be sensible

as to your question of my personal size I can honestly say (and you can chose to believe this or not) that I am above the Australian average and I haven't found myself in a situation where size hasn't been a let down https://33.media.tumblr.com/5ad528908550afd2e34d4fd465e3364f/tumblr_inline_n55grsI9OP1sum6ma.gif

Genesis-Soldier
;

Genesis-Soldier
hehe

|King Joker|
yassss

walshy

as to your question of my personal size I can honestly say (and you can chose to believe this or not) that I am above the Australian average and I haven't found myself in a situation where size hasn't been a let down i'm going to need some proof of this "above aussi average" claim mmm

Genesis-Soldier
once again there are a few ways I could respond to this but I will be sensible

I would recommend googling this but take it from me the average is a surprising numer and the Australian average is a bit higher, not by much thou

riv6672
Thanks, Gen. Now all this sandwich talk has made me hungry...

Genesis-Soldier
you and me both

|King Joker|
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/after-measuring-15000-men-this-is-what-science-found-out-about-penis-size-2015-3

Hmmmmmmm....

Genesis-Soldier
not quite, there are more recent studies that have a better global percentage and reliability, the world average is 6.3 Inches
the aussie is 6.7

|King Joker|
not quite, there are more recent studies that have a better global percentage and reliability, the world average is 6.3 Inches
the aussie is 6.7 Source(s)?

Genesis-Soldier
embarrassing bodies

Genesis-Soldier
good tv show

Genesis-Soldier
mate of mine said "its cause of all the Orientals "

whether that's true or not I have no idea

walshy
once again there are a few ways I could respond to this but I will be sensible

I would recommend googling this but take it from me the average is a surprising numer and the Australian average is a bit higher, not by much thou maybe i wasn't be clear enough.. mmm

Bardock42

as to your question of my personal size I can honestly say (and you can chose to believe this or not) that I am above the Australian average and I haven't found myself in a situation where size hasn't been a let down

Are you saying the size of your penis has been a let down in every situation?

|King Joker|
LOL I just noticed that

Nuke Nixon
Do you have contact with the Pintupi or any of the other Aboriginal groups?

Also, what is the general opinion of Aussies regarding the Aboriginal groups?

riv6672
^^^good questions.interesting!

All i wanna know now is, do your movie theaters sell any unique drinks and snacks?
When i lived in Hawaii you could get beer and noodle soup.

AsbestosFlaygon
Do you guys eat kangaroos?

riv6672
^^^He mentioned kangaroo jerky in another thread...

Flyattractor
So when did Aussies start frying shrimp on piles of plastic Dolls?

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by Bardock42
Are you saying the size of your penis has been a let down in every situation?

wait what...

oh crap, no what I meant to say is " I haven't been in a situation where my size has been a problem"

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by Nuke Nixon
Do you have contact with the Pintupi or any of the other Aboriginal groups?

Also, what is the general opinion of Aussies regarding the Aboriginal groups?

I have a few mates from fraiser island, sherburg and the kimberlies

not the Pintupi

the general opinion can be mixed, some are rascist bastards. some are passive neither here nor there and there are accepting and do ya need a hand brother auusies like me

personally I believe in helping Aboriginies and rural communities which ABBOTT doesn't seem to care about

Genesis-Soldier
^^^good questions.interesting!

All i wanna know now is, do your movie theaters sell any unique drinks and snacks?
When i lived in Hawaii you could get beer and noodle soup.

that sounds interesting, not that I can think of any unique drinks or snacks- when I was in newyork I went to a small theatre and the only difference was they had American candies as well as aussie

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Do you guys eat kangaroos?

yes, last I checked we cant eat Red Kangaroos due to there lower numbers but we usually categorise roo's as a pest in the more central areas of australia

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by Flyattractor
So when did Aussies start frying shrimp on piles of plastic Dolls?

Just the slang

BBQ is 3 letters, Barbeque sounds longer

Barbie is just the mainstream slang

on a side note SLANG is Short for: Short, LANGuage

think about it... and mind blown

riv6672
Is skateboarding big over there?

Genesis-Soldier
yes, there is a big skateboard culture throughout australia

walshy
Just the slang

BBQ is 3 letters, Barbeque sounds longer

Barbie is just the mainstream slang

on a side note SLANG is Short for: Short, LANGuage

think about it... and mind blown whoa shock never knew that

do you like cricket? is it popular much in australia?

Genesis-Soldier
yes it is very popular, although state of origin is on currently

Ms Chelle
I don't have any questions yet but it has been interesting to read through these. Great thread. thumb up

Flyattractor
Do the Tasmanians every hide their devils under peoples bed on the continent as pranks?

RanebowSmack
I always wanted to visit there what are some of the best beaches?

Nuke Nixon
Is Midnight Oil still relevant, have they made any new music worth listening to recently?

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by Ms Chelle
I don't have any questions yet but it has been interesting to read through these. Great thread. thumb up

why thank you Ms Chelle (walshy's idea)

Genesis-Soldier
Do the Tasmanians every hide their devils under peoples bed on the continent as pranks?

no they don't, mostly because the little bastards will bite any exposed finger they can and are a protected species nowdays

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by RanebowSmack
I always wanted to visit there what are some of the best beaches?

bells beach, Noosa, stradbroke island, Bondi (always crowded thou), Byron bay (be careful around bluesfest time) and 75 mile beach. these are the best beaches I have been to, they are varied in location but if you want a more 'local' beach location if your ever in Australia I suggest you google it

Genesis-Soldier
Is Midnight Oil still relevant, have they made any new music worth listening to recently?

yeah they are still hanging around and Peter Garret is in politics now and still trying to make a difference.

not to sure about the music, I would either google it or ask Dramatic Geko

Flyattractor
no they don't, mostly because the little bastards will bite any exposed finger they can and are a protected species nowdays

And I thought you Auzzie;s had a sense of humor.

Has anybody ever tried to keepa White Pointer as a pet in their pool?

Genesis-Soldier
hehe the old white death

I have heard stories but nothing confirmed so I have no idea

riv6672
Does Australia have a space program?

Flyattractor
Yes. Its where they plan to shoot all the Roo's to.

walshy
do you hate kiwis ?

riv6672
Why do you hate kiwis? What'd they ever do to you?

Genesis-Soldier
Does Australia have a space program?

off the top of my head I have no idea

Genesis-Soldier
no we don't hate the Kiwi's, we pick on but that's it

what ever you do NEVER call a Kiwi an Aussie. they WILL kill you for it

riv6672
How will they kill you?

Genesis-Soldier
either they will actually hit you in the torso really hard or just gaze you down to death, and these fella's are usually quite big and angry when you call them an Aussie

riv6672
Ah. Was wondering if they preferred knives, guns, fists, blunt objects...thumb up

Do you have a version of the boy/girl scouts? If so do either of them sell cookies?

Nuke Nixon
Where have you visited outside of Australia, what was your favorite place?

roughrider
I got involved with an Australian woman here in Canada on a work exchange, several years ago. It was the best sex I ever had, and I've been pining to get involved with another one since. Are they all that aggressive and passionate? big grin (The joke about Australia's macho culture is that the women are just as macho as the men.)

riv6672
Are they? Iiiiinteresting. angel

carthage
What would happen if I jumped off Ayer's rock?

Genesis-Soldier
Ah. Was wondering if they preferred knives, guns, fists, blunt objects...thumb up

Do you have a version of the boy/girl scouts? If so do either of them sell cookies?

we do have a version but they don't really sell cookies door to door, there are sponsored girl scout cookies in supermarkets thou. they are pretty good but I cant remember the name

Genesis-Soldier
Where have you visited outside of Australia, what was your favorite place?

Vietnam, America, tasmiania (inside joke), south korea,

honestly I wish I had more time in America because the foods and culture was amazing- new York

south korea was the most fun for me due to my martial arts classes I was allowed to help teach, the black smithing course I took to improve my metal work and over all just the idea that I found peace in myself the whole time I was there

funny story thou- we were in a little bar/ bath house and it was hot inside and we were drinking what was almost turpentine strength spirits. any was I took off my jumpers and what not then we heard the taxi pull up. it was 15 meters away from the house so we walked there and hopped in

I was blue by the time I walked the 15 to the taxi because it was winter and a very cold

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by roughrider
I got involved with an Australian woman here in Canada on a work exchange, several years ago. It was the best sex I ever had, and I've been pining to get involved with another one since. Are they all that aggressive and passionate? big grin (The joke about Australia's macho culture is that the women are just as macho as the men.)

well I have known some very strong women (both physically and emotionally) which is generally tied into our 'true blue' ideals of culture

sex wise it depends- I haven't had a massive amount of sexual partners but from what I have experienced its always been aggressive and passionate- normally because that's my biggest fetish- aggressive-

I guess it really depends on the woman, I am sure there are Canadian women who are just the same but I haven't had sex with Canadian women so I cant give a totally accurate answer. but yeah from what I have discovered a lot of girls/ women here are passionate and usually fierce

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by carthage
What would happen if I jumped off Ayer's rock?

depends where you jump off but the end result is the same- your body would be broken before you hit the ground.
its a bloody big sandstone rock that is very steep and from what I remember just over 850 meters high

jumping off that would kill you

RanebowSmack
What are some of your favorite shops for like clothes and stuff?

Genesis-Soldier
clothing wise- I don't really shop for clothes unless I need to, so DFO and work place clothing stores

stuff wise- Eb games, pubs, Bunnigs warhouses, Home timber and Hardware, scrap yards, movies, school and parks

Nuke Nixon
Us Americans picture Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin when we think of Australia, what do Aussies picture when they of USA or other countries?

walshy
I'm not sure if you already mentioned this but, where in australia do you live? not that i want to stalk you or anything ermmnone yes i do

roughrider
well I have known some very strong women (both physically and emotionally) which is generally tied into our 'true blue' ideals of culture

sex wise it depends- I haven't had a massive amount of sexual partners but from what I have experienced its always been aggressive and passionate- normally because that's my biggest fetish- aggressive-

I guess it really depends on the woman, I am sure there are Canadian women who are just the same but I haven't had sex with Canadian women so I cant give a totally accurate answer. but yeah from what I have discovered a lot of girls/ women here are passionate and usually fierce

Women in Montreal are known to be easy going and will approach guys first. But here in Toronto where I live, the women have a reputation for being snobbish, stuck up and materialistic. That's why Kyla was such a blast. "You Canadians don't know how to party!" she declared to me the night we met. Because I could keep up with her, I became her Canadian fling.

I have visited Australia twice in the years since, just because of my experiences with her. If I could immigrate to anywhere else, it would be there. smile

Genesis-Soldier
Us Americans picture Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin when we think of Australia, what do Aussies picture when they of USA or other countries?

honestly, drunken southern rednecks usually

I just imagine fella's ina pub/bar drinking and playing darts I guess

Genesis-Soldier
I'm not sure if you already mentioned this but, where in australia do you live? not that i want to stalk you or anything ermmnone yes i do

Brisbanewink

Genesis-Soldier
Women in Montreal are known to be easy going and will approach guys first. But here in Toronto where I live, the women have a reputation for being snobbish, stuck up and materialistic. That's why Kyla was such a blast. "You Canadians don't know how to party!" she declared to me the night we met. Because I could keep up with her, I became her Canadian fling.

I have visited Australia twice in the years since, just because of my experiences with her. If I could immigrate to anywhere else, it would be there. smile

nice man, we would be happy to have you over

riv6672
Whats the comic situation down there?
Is it all Marvel/DC, or do you have some local stuff?

Genesis-Soldier
mainstream Marvel/DC

Genesis-Soldier
the comic situation is very good, most of the older kids like myself always read something- books- manga- comics

normally the last two

Piggle Humsy
wave

walshy
what other aussie KMC members are there? dramatic gecko is one, not that he's appeared here yet.

do you know kram3r?

Wonder Man
Is that rock for sale yet?

Nuke Nixon
Brisbanewink

My Gramps served in Brisbane during WWII, him and his mates got into some heavy bar fights with the locals, all in good fun of course. The question is this --are bar fights fairly regular in Australia or is that an urban legend?

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by Piggle Humsy
wave

aw hi hi smile

Genesis-Soldier
what other aussie KMC members are there? dramatic gecko is one, not that he's appeared here yet.

do you know kram3r?

D_G is one
no idea who is Kramer
um there have been two more I know of but I cannot remember their forum names

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by Wonder Man
Is that rock for sale yet?

private buyers are welcome

nah just kidding, its a heritage site so probably not. you might be able to buy the big pineapple

Genesis-Soldier
My Gramps served in Brisbane during WWII, him and his mates got into some heavy bar fights with the locals, all in good fun of course. The question is this --are bar fights fairly regular in Australia or is that an urban legend?

they aren't as dramatized as seen in movies and what not. normally its two fella's have a punch up and some nasty collateral damage coming out.

but yeah brawls happen but its nots quite Dukes of hazard. its just a standard bar fight that gets a few fellas or ladies getting kicked out

riv6672
Thats pretty much standard for the bar scene anywhere.
Your country is being unjustly accused of too frequent fisticuffing!

Genesis-Soldier
not quite, I said in relation to bar

me and my friends Nathan, dewa, eli and donny normally go out for a night and just smash into eachothers arms with a ine hand punch or for shits and gigs

there is a lot of punch ups and violence though both inside of schools and outside

Piggle Humsy
What are the top 5 songs being overplayed on the radio right now?

Genesis-Soldier
no idea, I haven't listened to a radio in 2 years.

this I would probably shoot over to Dramatic geko

Genesis-Soldier
is Koala meatpie an aussie?

riv6672
Best Australian colleges, what are they?

Genesis-Soldier
in my opinion:
the University of Melbourne
the University of Canberra
the University of Queensland

I know the first two are definitely the top 2 in Australia

riv6672
Neat. thumb up

Whats the most popular car make and model over there, as far as you can tell?

Genesis-Soldier
i have seen a shit ton of Toyota corolla's around in the last 2 years so probably that

riv6672
Wasnt expecting that.

What are your legal ages?
To vote, to drink, to join the military, for consensual sex?

Nuke Nixon
Is Vegemite really all that good in a sandwich?

Flyattractor
Is Night of the Lepus considered a SCARY movie there?

NewLanceWindu
How big are the mosquitos?

riv6672
So many questions!

roughrider
Is Vegemite really the substitute for peanut butter down there? I just couldn't get into it, at all. Don't know how people tolerate it's taste, really. erm

But there was one beer I got addicted to - Victoria Bitter. I wish we imported it more often to Canada.

NewLanceWindu
So many questions!

So few answers. I demand a refund.

carthage
Are they still searching for Harold Holt?

Flyattractor
Whose Harold Holt?

Genesis-Soldier
Wasnt expecting that.

What are your legal ages?
To vote, to drink, to join the military, for consensual sex?
you can vote at 16 but you Must vote at 18
drink 18
military 18
16-18 (varies)

in queensland you are tried as an adult in a court of law if you are 17 years old

Genesis-Soldier
Is Vegemite really all that good in a sandwich?

yes

not a thick spread of it but its nice

Genesis-Soldier
Is Night of the Lepus considered a SCARY movie there?

I didn't find it to be

its more if people are scared then are scared, if not well then their not
its more a individual level question

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
How big are the mosquitos?

varies, normally they are small but I have seen BIG ones
but I don't think the big ones bite (praying they don't because if they do that would suck)

hehe

Genesis-Soldier
Is Vegemite really the substitute for peanut butter down there? I just couldn't get into it, at all. Don't know how people tolerate it's taste, really. erm

But there was one beer I got addicted to - Victoria Bitter. I wish we imported it more often to Canada.

eh its up to you what you put in a sandwich. I eat vegemite a lot.
we normally just call it VB
"oi mate, got that slab of VB yet or what... Yeah!!! chuck us some mate'

VB is one of the main (top 3) beers in australia

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
So few answers. I demand a refund.

jeez I cant take a break!?

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by carthage
Are they still searching for Harold Holt?

hehe probably. I never really started looking but its possible

Harold Holt was a Australian priminister who was swimming at a local beach and suddenly disappeared under the water, his body was never found

riv6672
Whose Harold Holt?

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2014/02/what-happened-to-harold-holt-the-disappearance-of-australias-prime-minister/

Pretty interesting.

Thanks for my age answers, Gen...thumb up

roughrider
hehe probably. I never really started looking but its possible

Harold Holt was a Australian priminister who was swimming at a local beach and suddenly disappeared under the water, his body was never found

Yeah. First heard about him in Bill Bryson's book In A Sunburned Country. Kind of darkly funny.

Morning_Glory
What do you call fries? eat

Chippys??

riv6672
So, where do you stand on this war against feral cats i just read about in the Gen Discussion forum?

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by Morning_Glory
What do you call fries? eat

Chippys??
Chips

Fries-chips
Potato chips- chips

Is all just chips

Genesis-Soldier
So, where do you stand on this war against feral cats i just read about in the Gen Discussion forum?

It's been a while since I have look into it, I would go hunting for them with my family when we lived out in linton

I believe in culling them off and killing them

riv6672
As a cat hater i approve.
Also as a cat hater, i'm surprised i kind of feel bad for them.

Nuke Nixon
If you wanted to, how long would it take you to find a dangerous creature?

riv6672
Ooh, good one!

jaden101
What actually is a "bogan"? Is it an aussie version of a chav?

Genesis-Soldier
If you wanted to, how long would it take you to find a dangerous creature?
I have a family of feedback spiders near the back shed, so 17 seconds

Although it should be noted that I am not surrounded at any given second by deadly animals

Genesis-Soldier
Bogan- redneck
Chav?

Bardock42
Chips

Fries-chips
Potato chips- chips

Is all just chips

Literally the worst of all options.

Scribble
Bogan- redneck
Chav? Chav is essentially the British equivalent of a Redneck

riv6672
Accidentally saw your so long post in the 1,000,000 post thread, Gen.
Not a good place (for me) to see that sort of thing.
I hardly ever read the posts there thoroughly, as the subject matter dont usually involve my interests, and all the jokes are inside jokes.
Still, hope you take care of things and come back soon, so we can tap your kooky Aussie mind like a keg some more, brother. thumb up

Genesis-Soldier
cheers riv

riv6672
Frasier, Gen!

Genesis-Soldier
nice

riv6672
Yes you are. We miss you!

Genesis-Soldier
it is currently a little cloudy here in brisbane with an over all temp of 23

Impediment
How fast can a funnel web spider kill a man?

Genesis-Soldier
no idea but considering its a deadly little bugger i would say

within 2-3 hours if your a fully grown man?
althou most likely less

Impediment
Is Paul Hogan an Aussie national treasure?

Genesis-Soldier
yes yes he is

Impediment
yes yes he is

laughing out loud

Is Yahoo Serious one, too?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>