Bastila Shan vs Darth Sion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ChaosTheory123
Because why not

Battlefield is Raxus Prime because why the **** not

Though mostly for being a scrap heap with plenty of debris to throw around IIRC

Victory Conditions: Death or KO

Sion only needs to be cut down once, be it KO or "death".

Scenario 1: Duel
Scenario 2: Force Powers
Scenario 3: Free for all

Beniboybling
Duel: Savage
Force Powers: Savage
Free for all: Savage

Emperordmb
?

ChaosTheory123
Not that I was expecting an actual discussion, but this kind of shit is a corpse of a joke :maybe

Beniboybling
Lol, I'll see if anyone disagrees first. thumb up

ILS
Vos would rape either

DarthAnt66
@Beni: No one thinks you are funny, lmfao.
---
Bastila Shan wins all three, tbh.

ChaosTheory123
Yes, yes

Vos is currently Star Wars Wolverine :maybe

ChaosTheory123
Originally posted by DarthAnt66

Bastila Shan wins all three, tbh.

I'd figure the same, just bored and figured "let's see what other ****ers think"

In the wake of Joblin Vos, I probably should have reconsidered :hmm

Beniboybling
Damn, for some reason read that as Savage...

Better matchup though. http://r35.imgfast.net/users/3513/11/32/39/smiles/3024136639.gif

WildBantha88
Well considering Raxus Primes air is toxic to humans Bastilla is at a huge disadvantage

ILS
Vos would likely ignore the toxins

ChaosTheory123
Originally posted by WildBantha88
Well considering Raxus Primes air is toxic to humans Bastilla is at a huge disadvantage

Hmm

Wasn't aware of that :hmm

Let's either give her a rebreather or just move it to a neutral location

Suppose this is what I get for trying to put them in a place where they can chuck garbage at eachother :hmm

ChaosTheory123
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Damn, for some reason read that as Savage...

Better matchup though. http://r35.imgfast.net/users/3513/11/32/39/smiles/3024136639.gif

Eh

It happens

Have any thoughts on the actual match? :hmm

:maybe

Beniboybling
Well I would go with Sion in all three really, not sure where all this Bastila hype is coming from.

ChaosTheory123
Well I would go with Sion in all three really, not sure where all this Bastila hype is coming from.

Sure

Let me give it a shot I suppose :hmm

Both she and Sion were amped by the Star Forge and Malachor respectively. Both amps being fairly comparable. The Star Forge being a nexus that required someone as powerful as Revan or Malak to not be consumed and Malachor a nexus so powerful that only Darth Revan stood on the surface, fed off its power, and not end up consumed.

Where Sion's considered "not that difficult" to kill by Meetra Surik per the Strategy guide narration? Bastila's fight with Revan was considered "fraught" and "frantic" . Shows Revan had to sort of try compared to the relative ease End of Game Surik had with Sion.

Surik isn't exactly a peer of Revan. Switch out Sion for Bastila and he finds himself in an even worse position. :hmm

Worth noting too that Sion was part of Malak/Revan's original empire too. He did learn much from Traya (IIRC the KOTOR campaign guide stated as much in his little bio :hmm), but growth in knowledge, especially with how frustrating Sion found Traya's teaching IIRC, doesn't necessitate a vast growth in overall power either in theory.

Makes sense to me, but I'm all for someone poking around at the logic.

DarthAnt66
All good points, but you are assuming Sion can even really contend with Shan. The guy has fallen time and time again to fodder Jedi. He can't compete with only one life.

ChaosTheory123
All good points, but you are assuming Sion can even really contend with Shan. The guy has fallen time and time again to fodder Jedi. He can't compete with only one life.

I don't follow kiddo

Where did I disagree with you in my post that exists to support Basila > Sion :hmm

Though wouldn't know anything about fodder Jedi and Sion

My memory is good, not edetic :maybe

DarthAnt66
I mean you go on this large comparison between the two when it isn't even necessary.

Bastila is just that much better to start with. cool

ChaosTheory123
Its called covering all your bases :maybe

Not exactly like any argument in this hobby is 100% airtight

Too many different ways to go about it and all that fun shit *shrugs*

DarthAnt66
Fun fact: Beni denies the Star Forge is a nexus in general.

Good luck arguing with him. wink

ChaosTheory123
Huh

Vaguely recall lurking that

Don't remember what the discussion was or why it happened though

Though he kind of torpedoes himself if he argues that at all here given Bastila w/o an amp contending with Revan is even more hilariously outclassing Sion :hmm

Sort of like how to argue against your Revan primarily dueling while on a nexus argument in that Kun thread you had going? That ****er you were debating would need to torpedo Kun's force potential to do it :hmm

Beniboybling
Originally posted by ChaosTheory123
SureWhere Sion's considered "not that difficult" to kill by Meetra Surik per the Strategy guide narration? Bastila's fight with Revan was considered "fraught" and "frantic" . Shows Revan had to sort of try compared to the relative ease End of Game Surik had with Sion.But are game mechanics really any basis for judging ability? The fight with Bastila might have been "fraught and frantic" for some, but I bet others found it laugahbly easy, same for Sion.

Boss difficulty naturally fluctuates player to player, on the basis on player skill, not anything grounded in lore i.e. non-canon.Sion's mastery over the Force may be crude, but what he does have is a wealth of combat experience.Originally posted by DarthAnt66
All good points, but you are assuming Sion can even really contend with Shan. The guy has fallen time and time again to fodder Jedi. He can't compete with only one life. And I feel as if your assuming the circumstances of those fights.Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Fun fact: Beni denies the Star Forge is a nexus in general.

Good luck arguing with him. wink Still butthurt about that? Lawls.

ChaosTheory123
But are game mechanics really any basis for judging ability?

Game mechanics

You're getting that from narration from a strategy guide?

Has nothing to do with player skill when you're discussing narration from the closest thing either of these things have to a novel

I'm really not following you. To my knowledge, strategy guides are as C canon as anything else

If you're going to argue from a standpoint of authorial intent?

We're at an impasse given I don't exactly stem from a place that believes in trying to appeal to shit you can't know without actually asking the ****er directly *shrugs*

Not denying that

That bit was mostly to note that Sion was definitely beneath Shan during his tenure in Malak's empire given how the Shadow Hand/Apprentice is generally second only to the Dark Lord.

It was worth further note that while he grew in knowledge, his frustration with Kreia's teaching and his general obsession with having his hatred/power grow lends to the notion he probably didn't grow leaps and bounds between his time in Malak's empire and the Triumverate.

Beniboybling
Game mechanics

You're getting that from narration from a strategy guide?Why wouldn't I? A strategy guide is designed to guide you through the mechanics of the game, not the story. For that, pick up a sourcebook. thumb up

Which for the record, state that Sion's abilities were great enough to draw the attention of Darth Revan (and Darth Traya). He's also been described as a "feared lightsaber assassin" by the Star Wars Insider.According to Leland Chee games/game mechanics are only C-Canon if they don't exist solely for the games purposes and don't contradict other sources:

Anything that doesn't contradict or exist purely for gameplay is C-canon.

https://twitter.com/HolocronKeeper/status/383263147445854208

What you describe as narration is a description of a game mechanic - boss difficulty. Sion's difficultly is supposedly "easy" but that's a pure and fluctuating game mechanic, not an indication of his skill, and it contradicts other sources. Hence why I question it's validity as evidence.

Heck the entire Trayus Academy is described as is a cake walk, that doesn't mean it actually was for the Exile.Hmm, hadn't considered that. However:

1. This is DS Bastila, not LS Bastila who appears to be less powerful.

2. Malak may merely have given her the position due to her potential, which as a Padawan its highly unlikely she had yet fully realised.

That and her BM, there are also personality traits to take into account.
But lets actually look at what abilities/power Sion possesses.

Namely, the ability to hold his body together through the sheer power of the dark side, as well as recover from mortal injury, which is pretty unprecedented. He also possesses advanced Force Drain abilities, capable of leeching off Bastila merely be being in her presence.

Taking that into account, even if Bastila is a superior duelist, that's no guarantee she can defeat him, as Sion can just get back up, and even if Bastila is a superior Force User, that's not guarantee she can defeat him, as Sion can drain that power, making himself stronger.

However aside from what I perceive as a very flawed comparison, I see little evidence to suggest that Bastila is either.

Selenial

Where is your Sion wank coming from?

The guy is literally worthless beyond a one trick talent that he has that happens to be disabled here.

Bastila takes it pretty solidly.

Beniboybling
no expression Well that escalated quickly.

ChaosTheory123
So you are pivoting around authorial intent on the strategy guide Beni? :hmm

That's fair.

I know this community uses it, so I can't exactly tell you not to.

So I won't bother convincing you there

Or at all really

As far as my purposes go, you've helped me feel my argument is fairly secure where I post normally given all I'm trying to establish is rough parity between Sion and Bastila to further put together a general puzzle for the KOTOR era

As for the second half of your post?

I'll see about looking at it later. Want to go catch up on some JJBA now.

Beniboybling
Not sure what this has to do with authorial intent. Care to elaborate?

EDIT: Unless you mean intents to be taken as game mechanics, then yeah sure.

ChaosTheory123
Yeah

Interpreting the narration as solely being about the gameplay and not also about the story

Given I've owned strategy guides that can also be used as something of a mini novelization (a good unambiguous example would be Nintendo Powers OoT guide if you don't mind me drawing from other franchises for a moment :maybe)?

I generally don't assume guides don't/can't function as both

Beniboybling
Well fact remains that game mechanics and facts/story do not always align, and that a strategy guide's first responsibility is to the game mechanics, not the story.

So sure they can, but in this case I don't think the strategy guide is adequately portraying Sion's abilities. Its even more problematic to make a comparison between two different games/guides, where there is no guarantee of consistency.

ChaosTheory123
And that's perfectly fair :maybe

Doesn't change how I think given your sole angle of attack was from this interpretation, but I certainly understand WHY you think it

So I won't bother using it as far as you're concerned here

Beniboybling
Fair enough.

Fated Xtasy
I don't follow kiddo

Where did I disagree with you in my post that exists to support Basila > Sion :hmm

Though wouldn't know anything about fodder Jedi and Sion

My memory is good, not edetic :maybe

Haven't played Kotor in a while, in the released version of the game, Sion doesn't fight any Jedi besides the Exile. In Cut-content he either wins or loses to Atton Rand, although Atton was trained to Kill Jedi and could resist force powers/mental attacks.

Beniboybling
I think what's being referred to is this:

Sion embarks on a Jedi-assassination spree, "dying" many more times, but always ending more enemy lives.

Source: Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide

Course again, we don't know the circumstances of any of those fights.

ChaosTheory123
1. This is DS Bastila, not LS Bastila who appears to be less powerful.

Don't recall specifying an incarnation :hmm

That said, you guys don't just automatically assume when an incarnation isn't specified that they're at their strongest in a thread?

My bad if you don't, I'm somewhat used to doing so.

Is it possible?

Sure

Do you have direct narrative evidence supporting it that contradicts the Shadow Hand/Apprentic = Second most powerful from the KOTOR Campaign Guide?

I'd like you to post it if you do

If not?

Not really sold on this bullet

His regen is sort of non factor in this fight seeing as I'm only really trying to gauge if she can KO/"kill" him once.

His drain is solid, though it's notable that even with Nihilus' help that he seems to have failed to sever Traya's connection to the Force with it entirely. Sort of evident by the fact that Surik was hearing Traya's voice in her head long before she actually got any of her powers back on Peragus.

Doesn't detract from either of their drains, but as Nihilus, a known quantity, failed with Sion's help to entirely **** Traya over, its hardly easy to judge how potent his overtly offensive drain would be alone as far as I can tell per how you guys generally handle feats :hmm

I know you were noting its more passive effects a la the Sith Assassins, but I can hardly think of a way to quantify how much of a difference the passive drain would make on combat. :hmm

Not debating over whether she can off him for good. I'm sort of skeptical she could without being generous with her Sever Force (of which she's actually noted to possess IIRC, if not "featless" by the standards held here)

SunRazer
Sion's immortality is the epitome of overrated, but he's also underrated in other areas. Sion one-shotted Kreia, who at this point in time had (alongside Atton and Meetra) already beaten specialized Jedi butchers who ambushed her and fed off her Force-sensitivity.

As a whole, though, Bastila is probably still the stronger combatant. Not sure how she eventually wins.

Beniboybling
Don't recall specifying an incarnation :hmm

That said, you guys don't just automatically assume when an incarnation isn't specified that they're at their strongest in a thread?

My bad if you don't, I'm somewhat used to doing so.I see, I just assumed we we're going with her classic incarnation, as DS Bastila is substantially different with different powers/personality.

DS Bastila would have a better chance of winning though.

And I'm not native to these forums, I find the local customs strange. http://r35.imgfast.net/users/3513/11/32/39/smiles/3024136639.gifIt says that now? Interesting. Given that it's post KOTOR II, seems fair to apply it to Sion. However we are dealing Sion's KOTOR II incarnation. There is nothing preventing Sion from growing more powerful under Traya's tutelage (he is in fact stated to have "learned much" from her) and surpassing (DS) Bastila.

Granted though there is not much proof he did given all his feats are nexus related, but his quasi-immortality and description as an "ultra-powerful monster of the dark side" (even if we take that as hyperbole) indicates they are at least comparable.Depends what you mean by KO, when recovering from Surik he never actually falls conscious. Irregardless it still makes him practically immune to anything short of a lethal attack, which might catch Bastila off-guard.

Fatally even if she leaves herself exposed when expecting Sion to be wounded.A lot of people seem to think they both drained her, I don't know why seeing as:

http://share.gifyoutube.com/mlrRnX.gif

Sion doesn't raise a finger.

The KOTOR Campaign Guide says "They turn on her and drain her Force powers" but all I took it to mean is that Sion was complicit it in the act.

That said yes it is difficult to gauge, but its undoubtable it will have some effect, and I feel sway any disparity between their powers (if there is one) which can only be minimal.That could work.

SunRazer
One life Sion loses. He can use Drain to strengthen himself relative to Bastila's own power, but he probably still loses in a good fight.

ChaosTheory123
I see, I just assumed we we're going with her classic incarnation, as DS Bastila is substantially different with different powers/personality.

That's fair

Just I tend to think about pitting characters against each other at their best

Not exactly a native myself :maybe

I'm from the OBD/Narutoforums

One of the more prominent dipshits there that does physics bullshit for fictional character battles for fun :lmao

IIRC, think it's around page 140ish, give or take 5 :hmm

Figure its sort of a given he's in the top four Sith of the Triumverate era between himself, Nihilus, Traya, and Atris (during her brief stint anyway)

I'd consider him the weakest of the four, if not by a large margin, but he's still formidable enough.

I'm aware

Though as noted, it's only said he learned much

Not that he specifically got too much more powerful. Sure, I guess getting some diversity would count as getting more powerful, but his general frustration with Traya's teachings would suggest to me that his growth probably wasn't exactly a spike in his growth

At least anymore so than compared to his time fighting on the side of Exar Kun and the Dark Wars.

Granted, I haven't played in a while, so the context of his frustration does somewhat elude me :hmm

If you consider shit like the cut content, you do have shit like him being Force Crushed by Traya and walking it off

Let's bear in mind that, even if both were on a Nexus, Traya was still someone Surik had yet to surpass, and neither Sion or Traya's powers when drawing on Malachor should have been anymore amped than the other

So you do have something of a measuring stick, just nothing that distinguishes him too much from the surviving Jedi Council Traya stomped on.

There's also Chris Avellone advocating Sion could probably replicate killing shit as insanely durable as the Storm Beast (the species did barely survive the first activation of the MSG and all) with Force powers, if not with much more difficulty.

That said, like I espoused above, context within the game seems to lend to the notion that he didn't really grow much faster than normal between the 5 years separating games 1 and 2 IIRC.

Doesn't mean he's immune to knockout FYI

Just means nothing Surik could throw at him was potent enough to do so.

Not to say Bastila can, given she's beneath Surik, just listing victory conditions in general :maybe

From the way his body is stitched together, I'd imagine decapitation would still work, yeah

Well, assuming his mind shuts down faster than his TK stitches his body back together given that is how he holds himself together IIRC :hmm

I've honestly never interpreted anything in that scene as her having been drained

The absence of the orange stream of energy being the most prominent reason given previous cutscene usage by Nihilus later.

Sort of thought that occurred after she was knocked out

Why she couldn't call her saber to her?

Always kind of figured being TKed by the ****er that figured pulling an entire Star Destroyer sized ship out of Malachor's gravity well was a reasonable course of action to escape the place disoriented/concussed her on impact

The Force, primarily being based in mental power, sort of requires the user be able to think straight to properly use their shit and all :hmm

Not saying that's the correct/only way to view the scene, just felt that was the one that made the most sense based on extra material quotes and descriptions of the event in the game *shrugs*

Seems like kind of a weak hand wave imo, but I can see why you'd think it if you believe Nihilus hit her with Drain from the start :hmm

That's fair

It's either that or lop off his head anyway

His regen is legit enough where Sever really is her only viable power to kill him permanently.

Not like she has the knowledge Surik did to talk him to death.

AncientPower
Darth Sion has killed top tier Jedi High Council members, temporarily one-shotted the Exile with Force Drain to an extent her party felt her death in the Force and has four decades of killing Jedi Knights and Masters, he is also capable of just toying with the Exile's party members.

Bastila Shan isn't defeating him in the Trayus Core, he's much stronger, far more durable and has endless stamina, he is also more powerful to boot.

ChaosTheory123
Originally posted by AncientPower
Darth Sion has killed top tier Jedi High Council members

IIRC, Vash sort of implied she was caught in something of a trap as opposed to anything directly combat related being fair

https://youtu.be/00yUEISbrdk?t=2m40s

Nothing really indicates she ever directly fought him after being placed in that cell either IIRC

Have a link to this?

Never seen this one, though it sounds out of place when shit like Nihilus' drain flat out didn't work.

His decades of experience didn't amount to much when Bastila became Malak's apprentice, his shadow hand, the second most powerful in his empire.

The extra 5 years under Traya didn't imply much increased volume in combat either IIRC

You're talking Atton right?

Isn't that a fight that could have gone either way?

The fight's not in the Trayus Core to start with?

That, and why would Bastila be any less amped when drawing on it than Sion?

What suggests growth from using nexus energy is lopsided?

How?

Not exactly like Bastila isn't capable of trading strikes with Malak or Revan

Is it possible he's stronger overall?

Sure

Can you actually quantify or prove such a gap?

Good luck with that.

His regen is legit, yes

His Force reserves are as finite as anyone else's in the franchise

Let's not resort to hyperbole to try making points please

Outside the weird "force draining Surik" thing you mentioned, nothing really suggests what you're saying here

Fated Xtasy
IIRC, Vash sort of implied she was caught in something of a trap as opposed to anything directly combat related being fair

https://youtu.be/00yUEISbrdk?t=2m40s

Nothing really indicates she ever directly fought him after being placed in that cell either IIRC

In Cut-content she apparently would have fought him, this is of course after the droid planet was scraped. Also if KOTOR2 The complete guide is reliable. She(alongside Zez-Kai and Vrook) are stated to be lightsaber virtuosos.

Admittedly, I have no idea if this applys to her seeing as she's dead and most of her content got cut, so yeah.

May be Cut-content, Not sure to be honest.

Yeah, the second most powerful person in an empire who's academy was left in ruins after Revan and his party fought off Academy forces.

It also doesn't help that Bastila's best showing is on The Star Forge.

While on Lehon Revan, Jolee and Juhani were all hesitant about killing/fighting her

And on the Leviathan Bastila, Revan and Carth had just been tortured, fought through Sith Troopers, Dark Jedi and Droids. And several times it's stated that Malak was always looking to capture, not kill, Bastila.

Yeah, it's rather ambiguous as to how that ended and cut-content.

Hmm, well Sion would recover much, much easier than he would off the Trayus Core. But that's about all i can think of to be honest.

Yeah, but, they'd both be holding back wouldn't they? I mean i always thought so. Given Revan's feelings for Bastila and Malak's desire to use her Battle Meditation against the Republic.

Best i can think of is, lifting and throwing Kreia and lifting up Atton with no visible effort.

Btw i have no real argument for Sion, just adding my thoughts and answering questions. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. It's nearly One AM so i'm bound to make mistakes lol

DarthAnt66
No where in the diolague.txt files does it say they fight (correct me if I'm wrong - but I just checked). So no, cut-content doesn't have it.

ChaosTheory123
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
In Cut-content she apparently would have fought him, this is of course after the droid planet was scraped. Also if KOTOR2 The complete guide is reliable. She(alongside Zez-Kai and Vrook) are stated to be lightsaber virtuosos.

Only seen a fan made mod for Vash vs Sion on youtube, don't really know anything about the droid planet stuff :hmm

I'd consider the saber shit legit on Vash's part anyway, just how it applies to Sion directly is harder to determine without knowing how their confrontation went down.

Could be

Not really the point

Sion was a part of the Malak/Revan empire as well

The shadow hand/apprentice per KOTOR CG is second only to their Master.

In that empire, he was passed over for at least Bandon as well as Bastila

Possibly those 3 nameless Sith on the Star Forge depending on if you're willing to consider they exist outside the Dark Side ending route.

Sure, he learned much from Traya over the fives years between games, but I don't particularly remember the game or extra material supporting his growth was a significant spike from what he'd previously experience over the past 4 or so decades prior.

Being fair, I haven't played in a while, so I might be missing some context on both his frustration with Traya's methods in teaching and such so... *shrugs*

This is certainly true, though that scripted Force Wave was nice

And on the Leviathan Bastila, Revan and Carth had just been tortured, fought through Sith Troopers, Dark Jedi and Droids. And several times it's stated that Malak was always looking to capture, not kill, Bastila.

Gotcha :hmm

More or less what I'd think, yeah

Not exactly what the thread is exploring though

Certainly arguable, yeah

Depends on how you take that strategy guide narration with Revan though.

Which in consideration of Beni I dropped already so... eh

Eh...

Star Wars strength feats generally underwhelm me

A Dark Lord of the Sith like Sion/Malgus/Bane/etc have a whole slew of semi-superhuman strength feats in the lower kilojoule range if you look hard enough for some

Then you have fodder like Rakghouls that can punch their way through metal walls in TOR apparently. Had some screen caps a friend linked me on my other computer if I can bother to get around to it when its not almost 2 am :hmm

Not sure how KMC handles that, but where I normally post Star Wars strength feats generally rely on powerscaling off said fodder when all's left said and done *shrugs*

From their you just pray the saber clashes lead to some distinct idea of who's strength is better.

I'm just shooting the shit myself at this point tbh

No worries dude :maybe

Amateur hour

Come back to me when you're still unable to fall asleep and left with little to do at 5 am but debate stupid shit online :maybe

No where in the diolague.txt files does it say they fight (correct me if I'm wrong - but I just checked). So no, cut-content doesn't have it.

What folder is that in anyway? :hmm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.