Should STAR TREK be Kept Alive?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

maul's woman
Not so much as a tv show but as films. Berman and Braga has said that NEMESIS is the last Star Trek movie for the TNG cast. They also said that there will be NO movies made for the cast members of DS9 nor STAR TREK VOYAGER.

Personally I think that is a loss and a mistake.

What do you think? Should there be movies make using DS9 and VOYAGER cast?

GordonSkywalker
Heck yes!!! There is so much potential for doing a DS9 film or films. I don't know about Voyager though but Rick Berman should keep such an option open.

BackFire349
no i hate star trek.

finti
No ST sucks

Thomas H
no!

GordonSkywalker
Three against and one for!

KidRock
I never bothered to watch star trek looked gay..i would say no

GordonSkywalker
Which version did you not like? There are five different series and a multitude of feature films. And they are all different from each other for the most part. big grin

BackFire349
5 different series, and they all suck.

Augeybana
Star Trek is awesome the old ones best of all.

GordonSkywalker
I like the classic series as well, but sometimes watch TNG.

Augeybana
Yeah that not a bad show either.

GordonSkywalker
Everything after that went south of the border.

Augeybana
TRue I hate when peole take something good then F%@K it up.

finti
ST is so bad that going to church sounds fine

Augeybana
Not as bad as listing to you finti big grin

chico23
Not a fan of Star Trek...at all. Please, let it die.

finti
nobody forces you too, but if you do you should feel privileged

GordonSkywalker
I think there is too much overkill with the series and films anyway. Too many trips to the well so to speak. Let it die with Nemesis and get rid of Enterprise I say! cool

Augeybana
very much true GS.

GordonSkywalker
Enterprise is a big blemish on what was once a proud legacy.

Augeybana
Yeah but in future terms they'll be other movies.

GordonSkywalker
Scott Bakula is good don't get me wrong. But Shatner is best of all. Things really took a downward dump when Captain Kirk was killed off at the end of Generations. sad

Augeybana
Sadly.

GordonSkywalker
Some said it signalled the end of an era.

Augeybana
Every era ends at sometime except for The Simpsons.

GordonSkywalker
The Simpsons have long outlasted their era in my opinion.

Augeybana
Yeah but it cool they can stay funny that long.

GordonSkywalker
True and fair enough. Star Trek has outlived its hey day though. The over-reliance on Borg stories in Voyager and the inception of Enterprise (not too mention too many story arcs in the novels) has I feel over saturated the public and the media to the breaking point.

Augeybana
yeah and onmce didn't they have The Rock on one of the show star apperance could not help them.

wierdman333
no

GordonSkywalker
Is that in answer to the topic question or to my friends' last post?

Augeybana
????

GordonSkywalker
Should Star Trek keep going or should it finally come to an end:movies,series,books etc.? Of course Paramount makes waaay too much money on merchandise to just throw their favorite cash cow to the dogs! big grin

Thomas H
hehehe

GordonSkywalker
I see we are both in agreement Tom. I think Star Trek went down once they killed Captain Kirk and then brought the Borg back for Voyager. Enterprise is the last straw for me as a fan of the original series and films. I don't even buy any of the magazines anymore.Not even for the pretty pictures.

Augeybana
That might be another reason why Star Wars didn't stop a long time ago who wouldn't make another Trilogy when each movie makes $350 million a piece.

GordonSkywalker
Star Trek has had its day. The new stuff is a blemish on the original series and films.

Ushgarak
Borg in Voyager... (shudders). Episode by episode the most dreadful castration of what was once a scary enemy that I have ever seen...

Anyway I can't see a huge future for the film franchise, though I am open to being proven wrong. As for the series... Enterprise has a LOT of potential if you ask me, but they are wasting it with the same old plots all over again!

GordonSkywalker
Yes I understand they actually did a Ferengi episode! I also agree the Borg were seen too many times in Voyager and that over exposure ruined what was once a great enemy race for the Federation. First Contact should have ended them once and for all.

Darth Vicious
hello, a little late but the only Star Trek series i like was Next Generation, original as kid not anymore and Enterprise is good as for the movies ive only seen some bits and pieces with the riginal cast but mostly with the Next Generation, i did like a recent episode of Enterprise where the Borg came out and i really liked hoe they tied it in with ST:First Contact and NG since in the episode th Borg send a message that was gonna take 200yrs to get to their home planet and i believe thats when they first met them in NG in "The Best Of Both Worlds" as for Voyager and DS9, they both sucked!

Augeybana
Didn't like Voyager either.

turin
ya voyager sucked, and they did ruin the borg. i do think that there is still a future though for star trek films but they definitely need to be done right. i would love to see a film based almost completely around warf and the klingon empire. perhaps another civil war and of course have cameos by different characters from TNG. perhaps at the end of the movie theres a great battle and just as it seems all hope is lost in comes Riker with a fleet and saves the day. maybe i should write a script, lol.

GordonSkywalker
I am certain you could do a far better job than the boys at Paramount who seem to love recycling old plots and making them into new episodes. The Borg actually were intoduced before "The Best of Both Worlds" but that is when they first became a major threat for the Federation.

aznboi4ever
maybe you should try and read the books. It reintroduces old concepts and concludes them. they also introduce new cocnepts. well do whatyou want

GordonSkywalker
I have read more than enough of the books and hate the story arcs that take three and four books to finish.

Augeybana
How many books are there??

GordonSkywalker
Nearly three hundred I would guess. Not all of them come numbered so you can't tell that way.

Augeybana
Really damn that's alot.

GordonSkywalker
Pocket Books have been doing them since 1980 after the first motion picture came out. Then they added a numbering system for the classic series of novels which continues to this day. That is not even taking into account a novel range for each tv series including hardbacks and other non-numbered sets.

Augeybana
Like everything it should be kept alive only in the right way.

GordonSkywalker
It is a matter of gross overkill in my humble expert opinion.

Augeybana
True.

turin
me read? ya right... lol

GordonSkywalker
Anyway back to topic: I think Star Trek has had its day and a half and no more spinoff movies or series should be produced.

Corran
There should be no more Star Trek whatsoever. Is it not a tad overdone?

GordonSkywalker
This is my thinking as well. Gene Roddenberry would roll over in his grave if he could see what Rick Berman has done to his dream!

Augeybana
Yeah it's sad that sometimes the ST name hits the dirt.

GordonSkywalker
Especially when you consider Roddenberry had absolutely nothing to do with the last three spinoff series and any of the past four films.

Augeybana
But ST original shows can't be beat.

GordonSkywalker
The classic series are just that. Classics in every sense of the word. You just can't get any better than watching Kirk and Spock and Bones going through their paces on some alien planet, surrounded by hordes of warlike Klingons.

Augeybana
One of my favorite episodes is were they play gangster forgot the name of it though.

GordonSkywalker
"A Piece of the Action" is the name of that second or third season episode of the original series. A very popular one with me and Scruffy. A great story that puts our heroes right in the middle of a local turf war between gangsters on another planet. Luckily Kirk gets into the swing of things and takes charge towards the episode's climax.

BOPRecruit 16
i don't watch star trek that much, but i could care less. to me, it died out of popularity already, eons ago so to speak. sorry to you fans of it.

GordonSkywalker
You misunderstand us friend. We are speaking of how good it was thirty some years ago not now. We feel too many movies and spinoffs have been done and has ruined the whole Star Trek experience.

Augeybana
Yeah these shows that seem old that are actually gold like ST,Dr.Who is good Science fiction is all about.

GordonSkywalker
Star Trek and Dr Who are bona fide classics that have been-for good or bad- brought back many times over the years since each series ended. Sometimes this works and sometimes it flops which is the reason I think Star Trek is long overdue a rest.

Augeybana
Yeah but there always a place in my heart for Dr.Who.

GordonSkywalker
Mine too. I like this better than the current Star Treks.

Augeybana
Diffentaly.

maul's woman
Well it seems everyone here is too young. My generation. We were not raised on STAR TREK. Some of us weren't even born when the first STAR WARS movie came out. Most of my generation was raised on video games and high tech. My mom said that the problem with us is that all the magic is gone. All is high tech now. Maybe she is right judging from the responses. She's a Trekker. For her Trek and the OUTER LIMITS were very intelligent shows. I guess you have to look at it from the standpoint of people who were our age 30 and 40 years ago. I personally have no problem with STAR TREK. My favorite of the 5 shows is TNG. That was the most intelligent and intellectual of the shows.

Augeybana
Well that true my generation don't no it but It saw it and I thought it was pretty cool.I also like stuff now.

maul's woman
We have to remember one thing... that ENTERPRISE was created to capture the flavor of the 1966 show. It is suppose to be the show before Kirk, Spock and McCoy. I feel that is a mistake. The "head" of the 1960s isn't there. The feel isn't there. And of course the major component of all is gone... Gene Roddenberry.

The reason why TNG is far superior to the succeeding Treks is because Roddenberry had full control of it. Full control. He did the show exactly like he wanted to do the classic Trek but couldn't. Studio interference. But Paramount gave Roddenberry total creative control and that is why the show was a smashing success. DS9 was created by Berman and Braga. VOYAGER is also their creation but alot better in some ways than DS9. In some ways DS9 involved alot of religion and conflict around taht religion. VOYAGER was an exploratory ship that got pulled into the Gamma Quadrant of the Galaxy and was trying to get home. That's all. It too was an excellent show and Berman and Braga did their best to stay with the spirit of Roddenberry. A sad ending though. sad

All in all, Trek was not a kiddie show. I guess having parents who are very much into Trek helped me see it more clearly.

Augeybana
ST was a head of it's time.

Ushgarak
But roddenberry only had any real control over the first series of TNG, considered by fans to be the worst. TNG was good because the conceopt was fresh enough and it was never afraid to experiment with new plots. DS9 half-saved itself by having a proper background plotline but nothing saved Voyager from being just the same thing again.

Enterprise COULD break the mould but it seems to have stopped trying. Mind you, whilst that Borg episode is bad for continuity it was a 100x better than the Voyager ones.

GordonSkywalker
The Borg became the villians of the week after their initial TNG appearances. That is what I think ruined Voyager when they brought them in midway through that series. Seven of Nine was an obvious ploy to get racier subplots so as to attract young male viewers like myself. Ds9 sucked until the Dominion threat and Worf were added into the storylines.

Swedenborg
Personally, I felt they should've made a movie about Sulu and the Excelsior after Star Trek VI... Instead of going with the TNG-crew.

It'd have been logical continuation, with them presenting the Excelsior crew at the end of Star Trek VI.

Noooo, instead they killed Kirk. Mleh =P

GordonSkywalker
I agree with you man. A Sulu/Excelsior movie would have been the logical(pun intended) and natural progression from Star Trek VI. Instead we witness the botched up death scene of a legendary starship captain. I think this was the turning point in the Star trek franchise.

Augeybana
True.

GordonSkywalker
None of the films have had the same impact after Generations(Star Trek VII) killed off Captain Kirk. Sorry TNG fans.

GordonSkywalker
Oh and there are several web sites dedicated to resurrecting Captain Kirk. The Bring Back Kirk organisation lists the death of our hero as the moment Star Trek went south for the winter. And everything that came afterwards sucked in their opinion.

Augeybana
Just saw the dvd to Nemsis on T.V. doesn't look bad.

GordonSkywalker
Nemesis is a grand exception to the stupidity of modern Trek in the past decade of feature films.

Augeybana
True but there's been worse.

GordonSkywalker
Which film is your favorite Augey?

Augeybana
Tuff question I gonna need a minute to answered.

GordonSkywalker
I prefer the classic era of films. I especially like Star Trek:The Wrath of Khan. Star Trek:Generations is also excellent. Except for the death of Captain Kirk though.

Augeybana
Yeah Kim Catrall as a Vulcan was cool.And they had cool battles in The wrath Of Khan.

GordonSkywalker
Lieutenant Valeris was in Star Trek VI.

BackFire349
star trek never shoulda been alive to begin with.

GordonSkywalker
Star Trek is a classic to us as horror films are to you sir. Tread carefully my friend for the waves are alive tonight.

Darth Vicious
i have to admit i was reluctant to wtch Nemesis but i rented it this weekend and it was really good, it surprised me how entertaining and good it was and as for films i hope they make some using The Enterprise which it has a lot of potential, they could tie it in with the tv show like they did with X-Files also at the end of nemesis Ryker became a captain and got his own ship which i think theyll either make more movies with him or another tv show and a film with the crews of either Voyager or DS9 wouldnt be good at all and a good way to bring them all together would be have the crew from Enterprise travel to the future(the tv show mentions time travel way too much)meet The Eneterprise, Voyager in DS9 and once there they can meet with the original ST Crew for drinks!,lol

DreamsinFire
Star Trek burned out after Rodenberry died...pretty sad. The last good movie they made was First Contact. I have NO IDEA what happened to Insurrection -dumb premise or Nemsis. THe series is entirely dead. TNG was great when it was out, but the ones after blew

GordonSkywalker
Correction DreamsinFire: Roddenberry died five years prior to to the 1996 release of First Contact. The TNG two part episode Unification was dedicated to him when it debuted in November 1991.

maul's woman
The STAR TREK opera is NOT a rumor. It is real. It was completed in the mid 1980s and was to premier in NYC at the Metropolitan Opera House by the Metropolitan Opera. I understand the composer is a well known individual and that the production was completed and ready to go. There were costumes and sets ready but something happened in May of 1986 (I believe) and the production was shelved. There was some sort of production glitch. Sam Ramey was part of the opera star lineup. Maybe with the LOTR musical coming out in 2005 in London, there will be new life breathed into the ST opera. I would LOVE to see it.

Roger
Um...I kind of like Star Trek. Where did you hear about this opera?

BackFire349
star trek should have a voyage to oprahs house and get devoured and never spoken of again.

Roger
why do you say this?

maul's woman
Well Roger, the STAR TREK opera was in the papers here in NYC back in the 1980s. But like I said the production was shelved for some reason. Maybe it will be revived with the LOTR musical premiering in 2005.

There is also the musical for THE VAMPIRE LESTAT which will premier in 2004 or 2005 here on Broadway. That will be interesting. That will lend itself wonderfully to a musical as well.

jediheroluke
starwarsstar trek shouldnt of been made in the first place star wars rules over all muhahahahahahahah

Twilight Janick
DS9 is using TNG tech, right?

jediheroluke
ST sucks

roughrider
The second last one had bad reviews and mediocre business. They wait four years, then release Nemesis; reviews are lukewarm and business was the worst of any film in the series. If the people won't come out, they won't make the films. And there is no interest in DS9 or Voyager, and Enterprise was cancelled becuase of low ratings. Paramount may have squeezed this property dry, and the writing is on the wall.
And Star Wars is bigger than ever! big grin

jediheroluke
thankyou rogh rider star wars rock

DarthBanevv
Star Wars does rock.

jediheroluke
long live star wars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hang death to star treck

Dude_The_Man
IF they did keep movies going it'd have to be TNG. It's the only star trek show I ever liked. I would give it about a 9/10 overall. The movies on the other hand as a whole were hideous... But if they have the TNG cast they just need a half decent plot and bingo. Gold.

pr1983
In a recent interview Patrick Stewart said he'd been to Paramount and they're interested in doing a new movie, the only problem is that at the end of nemesis, riker and troi got married and left, crusher left too, and data died, and worf is in some sort of limbo career wise

which leaves only picard and la forge... erm

i loved ds9, but its been six years, and again they'd have to come up with a decent plot to reunite the crew...

hated voyager so no... erm

enterprise had a decent cast, just some abysmal writing imo... done well it could be great...

my suggestion would be to start over, new crew n the lot, and have it set after nemesis... they could introduce a brand new villain(and race) and make something good of it...

I don't see why star trek doesnt deserve to be kept alive... solid fanbase, available on multimple mediums, some of the best tv writing ever seen imo...

and in fairness, there were at least three good movies imo(wrath of kahn, undiscovered country and first contact), i think star trek is far from dead...

jediheroluke
star trek is a dieing religion we should forget it now and forever hail to star wars sniper

pr1983
Originally posted by jediheroluke
star trek is a dieing religion we should forget it now and forever hail to star wars sniper

ok... confused

badabing
I'd like to see Star Trek kept around.

Ushgarak
It's an interesting juxtaposition that the relaunch of Trek came at almost the same time Dr. Who died, and then the re-launch of Who came at the same time the relaunch of Star Trek died (with Enterprise's cancellation).

Still, lesson in both cases there is, when it comes to classic sci-fi, nothing is ever really dead.

Koenig
STAR TREK has had a very good run in shows and films but the time has come to put it to rest. Time for something new I think. yes

The Black Ghost
some of the original st's were good even for bad animation like Wrath of Khan and stuff but then they tended to get retarded. And I liked Enterprise and the Xindi season especially until they did the thing with the Nazis and murdered the entire show. I never watched it again... that was the approximate of taking the wookies out of Star Wars, ends it right out.

Swanky-Tuna
I didn't like Nemesis too much because I am a comic reader. As soon as the cloning thing popped up I kind of lost interest.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by The Black Ghost
some of the original st's were good even for bad animation like Wrath of Khan and stuff but then they tended to get retarded. And I liked Enterprise and the Xindi season especially until they did the thing with the Nazis and murdered the entire show. I never watched it again... that was the approximate of taking the wookies out of Star Wars, ends it right out.

You know, that's a shame, because if you are a Trek fan, the stories after that appalling Nazi one are quite good.

Trouble is, they were SO much for fans only that they were never going to pull in a wider audience. But still, it's striking that Enterprise's final season, first episode aside, was far from its worst.

Spidey's Girl
No, no, NO!!! Star Wars all the way, man!!!

Spidey's Girl
Originally posted by jediheroluke

Yes, because Star Wars so totally kills Star Trek. Star Wars rocks my socks!!

Spidey's Girl
Originally posted by Twilight Janick
DS9 is using TNG tech, right?

Who really even gives a crap?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.