Burtons Batman appreciation thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

relentless1
Batman and Batman Returns. easily the two best of the original 4 and arguably seen as better than a lot of the themes in the Dark Knight trilogy. As time goes on I think these two films are appreciated more by the fans due to the fact that here you have a self sufficient Batman that uses his mind to get shit done rather than relying on Morgan Freeman for all of that. The Gothic feel was also spot on and something that was adopted immediately into the comics as a result, Nolans Batman was too realistic and it hampered the character immensely having to operate in the boundaries of that world. Also 89 Batman gave us the grapple gun and "Im Batman"....respect should be given for that alone. Also Keaton is the best in the role to date.

Quincy
It has its merits sure. But let's not give Batman too much credit by calling him sufficient.

Nicholson is the real draw, as is the score. Surprised you didn't mention either.

The_Tempest
Keaton gave a far more interesting performance than Bale ever did in this role.

Quincy
Have you watched it recently?

The_Tempest
Which one?

Tzeentch
I binge-watched all the old Batman films on Netflix a few months ago, and I think Keaton was a far better Bruce Wayne then Bale.

Quincy
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Which one?

Batman

Inhuman
Good Movies thumb up

Robtard
Both Keaton and Bale have their merits and I don't think either could have exchanged roles and done well. Batman (89) was goofier than Batman Begins, Bale would have sucked in that role. Just as (young) Keaton would have flopped in Batman Begins, but probably done far better than Bale in the role-switch.

I do love Batman and Batman Returns, seen both multiple times in the theater and home.

BruceSkywalker
As someone who owns these on blu ray.. I saw both batman '89 and batman returns in the theater 6 x each.. I've been a batman fanatic since the age of 4. Burton's take was good. Of course I enjoy Bale's take even more... I constantly watch burton's movies a lot as well as bale's version. Jack made a decent joker but ledger was oh so damn freakingly great. the music score n burton's films was very nice as bale's

relentless1
can't believe i forgot about the score too..so iconic...to be fair it was pretty early in the morn when I wrote this wink

steverules_2
I did enjoy them, it's interesting to see a batman who kills then we get the dark knight trilogy and he's totally against killing

To this day though I don't know how in Batman the bat wing locks onto Joker and all the weaponry misses

relentless1
Originally posted by steverules_2
To this day though I don't know how in Batman the bat wing locks onto Joker and all the weaponry misses

80s electronics are notoriously shoddy, look at calecovision

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Quincy
Batman

About a year ago. Haven't watched Return in ages. But yeah, I stand by it. Nolan's trilogy was built on its baddies. Bale is boring AF and so one-note: brood brood brood brood brood.

Keaton's approach had more facets imo. Much stronger performance.

Quincy
I don't know, man. I watched both recently within the last two months. Keaton's Wayne isn't much for "multi-faceted." He's kind of a goober. Like, confused and distracted the whole time. And kind of a creep and a dick.

relentless1
Originally posted by Quincy
And kind of a creep and a dick.

thats Batman for you though

Quincy
Not in the same way

Flyattractor
Just wait until Affleck does his BatFleck and we have to start calling Bale's batman corny.

I CAN'T WAIT!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.