Racial Database

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
Now this is interesting.

http://nypost.com/2015/07/18/obama-has-been-collecting-personal-data-for-a-secret-race-database/

"OBAMA IS PRESIDING OVER THE LARGEST CONSOLIDATION OF PERSONAL DATA IN US HISTORY."

Surtur
It says Obama is making a case against schools "suspending too many blacks". What does this even mean? If a student does something worthy of suspension why should race be taken into account?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Surtur
It says Obama is making a case against schools "suspending too many blacks". What does this even mean? If a student does something worthy of suspension why should race be taken into account?
That question assumes that teachers are flawless and unbiased automatons, when it fact they are people like anyone else who are influenced by racial stereotypes.

Surtur
So blacks are being suspended so much due to nothing but racial stereotyping?

Bardock42
So blacks are being suspended so much due to nothing but racial stereotyping?

Nope, the truth lies somewhere in between these two extremes you have now stated, as almost everything in life.

Surtur
So which extreme do you think the truth lies more towards, or is it smack dab in the middle?

Bardock42
So which extreme do you think the truth lies more towards, or is it smack dab in the middle?

Well there is an underlying racial bias that means that white students get cut more slack than black students. Since suspension is already within a grey zone that's to some degree subjective to the teacher it makes it hard to compare.

Say 100 white kids do something that can potentially be cause for suspension and 100 black kids. If for 50 of the white kids the teacher decides to give them another chance and not suspend them, but all of the black kids get suspended, then that's still a disadvantage that black kids have, even though all of the suspensions were justified. You get what I mean?

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Bardock42
That question assumes that teachers are flawless and unbiased automatons, when it fact they are people like anyone else who are influenced by racial stereotypes.
Well there is an underlying racial bias that means that white students get cut more slack than black students. Since suspension is already within a grey zone that's to some degree subjective to the teacher it makes it hard to compare.

Say 100 white kids do something that can potentially be cause for suspension and 100 black kids. If for 50 of the white kids the teacher decides to give them another chance and not suspend them, but all of the black kids get suspended, then that's still a disadvantage that black kids have, even though all of the suspensions were justified. You get what I mean?

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

You could not be more wrong, how about all the black kids that get passes for school due to sports?

Get outa here with this nonsense.

Time-Immemorial

Time-Immemorial
Complete loss of privacy in the name of "equal rights"

Genius.

Surtur
Well if a teacher is more likely to give white people more leniency then other races that is an issue. I think they just need to look more closely when they suspend someone. Sometimes a person might get leniency due not to race, but rather them not having been in trouble before. While the kids who have been repeatedly in trouble tend to not get that as much. But these repeat offenders tend to be of all races.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

You could not be more wrong, how about all the black kids that get passes for school due to sports?

Get outa here with this nonsense.
That's an unrelated issue though. Regardless of ethnicity, players get preferential treatment in colleges, HOWEVER it depends on a lot of conditions. What sport they're playing, what position they are, and whether the school has a powerful program. At FIU, it's not so bad because we're at the very bottom of Division 1 football, but I still have colleagues who've gotten hounded (never threatened, just bothered a lot and called on/emailed constantly) by the athletics people over important players who were failing their composition classes.

Time-Immemorial
So you are ok that every single part of your life is being complied?

Omega Vision
Do you have any other articles that corroborate this one's claims that don't have an untrustworthy, unjournalistic tone?

Not calling bullshit yet, I'd just like to see this same information presented without obvious spin like "Orwellian," "Big Brother Barack," and "racial bean counters." That's borderline tabloid language.

krisblaze
Originally posted by Omega Vision
That's an unrelated issue though. Regardless of ethnicity, players get preferential treatment in colleges, HOWEVER it depends on a lot of conditions. What sport they're playing, what position they are, and whether the school has a powerful program. At FIU, it's not so bad because we're at the very bottom of Division 1 football, but I still have colleagues who've gotten hounded (never threatened, just bothered a lot and called on/emailed constantly) by the athletics people over important players who were failing their composition classes.

The sports scholarship thing is really interesting.

I get it, but it also seems so absurd. John gets to go to a good university because he can run fast?

Bardock42
Originally posted by krisblaze

I get it, but it also seems so absurd. John gets to go to a good university because he can run fast?

College sports is not only a big business for universities it is also a very good PR connection to alumni and locals. So it makes a lot of sense to at the very least give good athletes scholarships (tbh I think they should get paid).

dadudemon

And based on the research, the scenario you describe is NOT that far from reality.

http://www.npr.org/2012/03/12/148460543/black-students-more-likely-to-be-disciplined

This was a DoE study, not some liberal think-tank or PAC.

Originally posted by krisblaze

I was one of the white people that did not get a sports scholarship when I was 18 or 19. I could have played Division 1 football at the collegiate level on a full scholarship if I was black. Coach's words. no expression

His words were almost verbatim, "If you were black, we'd take on you a full scholarship in a heartbeat." Here's why: it is tough to find a combination of a good athlete and a good student. And there is federal and private funding in place for scholarshipping minority students.

Time Immemorial is not wrong about this.

TL : DR - I'm still butthurt over college bullshit because I'm white and didn't get an athletic scholarship.

Omega Vision
College sports is not only a big business for universities it is also a very good PR connection to alumni and locals. So it makes a lot of sense to at the very least give good athletes scholarships (tbh I think they should get paid).
This could be its own thread. It's absolutely absurd how college athletes make millions of dollars for their universities and are often times given such small stipends that they resort to theft and selling their trophies/rings/commemorative shirts.

If they were to end that stupid prohibition, all they'd have to do is take off 10% of the coach's salary and the athletes would make decent money and the coaches would still be rich as phuck.

Time-Immemorial
Do you have any other articles that corroborate this one's claims that don't have an untrustworthy, unjournalistic tone?

Not calling bullshit yet, I'd just like to see this same information presented without obvious spin like "Orwellian," "Big Brother Barack," and "racial bean counters." That's borderline tabloid language.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/obama-racial-database-post/2015/07/18/id/657837/

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/07/19/obamas-awesome-new-race-database-even-more-awesome-than-you-imagined/

Surtur
This could be its own thread. It's absolutely absurd how college athletes make millions of dollars for their universities and are often times given such small stipends that they resort to theft and selling their trophies/rings/commemorative shirts.

If they were to end that stupid prohibition, all they'd have to do is take off 10% of the coach's salary and the athletes would make decent money and the coaches would still be rich as phuck.

On the other hand these players already get special treatment as is, something tells me making them millionaires would just make things worse.

Plus I always thought that was the trade off, at least for those who get scholarships. The school, etc make money off sports, the student gets a free education, experience playing at a higher level, and exposure that would help get them placed on pro teams after college. Not to mention all the benefits that are sort of unspoken rules, like preferential treatment, etc.

This is also why it is wacky though, you can go to some colleges and it seems like the most important thing at these places is..if their sports team will win or lose. It can be depressing for someone who in high school had heard about how awesome and different college is and then they get there and find out..it is just more of the same.

Bardock42
On the other hand these players already get special treatment as is, something tells me making them millionaires would just make things worse.

Plus I always thought that was the trade off, at least for those who get scholarships. The school, etc make money off sports, the student gets a free education, experience playing at a higher level, and exposure that would help get them placed on pro teams after college.

Yeah, that's the bullshit excuse this million dollar industry gives for not paying their workers anything...

Surtur
Yeah, that's the bullshit excuse this million dollar industry gives for not paying their workers anything...

I would have no problem if they pay the athletes. But then they also need to put in even stricter methods for preventing these people from getting special treatment.

Bardock42
I would have no problem if they pay the athletes. But then they also need to put in even stricter methods for preventing these people from getting special treatment.

What exactly do you mean with special treatment?

Surtur
What exactly do you mean with special treatment?

We already had one example in this very thread of teachers putting pressure on others to pass athletes. Something tells me little Johnny Doe who sucks at sports..wasn't having anyone go to bat for him in terms of pressuring a teacher to pass.

Bardock42
We already had one example in this very thread of teachers putting pressure on others to pass athletes. Something tells me little Johnny Doe who sucks at sports..wasn't having anyone go to bat for him in terms of pressure.

Okay, so you mean getting academic leniency. Yeah, sure, I agree with that.

Maybe this will be of interest to you:

pX8BXH3SJn0

Surtur
I mean yeah a lot of them get a free education, the least the teachers could do is make sure they earn it.

I'd also fire any teacher who pressures another teacher to pass an athlete. The problem is these athletes get used to it, special treatment runs rampant, not just in college. High school and grammar school as well(especially in the higher grades like 7th-8th). We treat good athletes as sometimes akin to walking deities.

Then these kids grow up and think they can walk over whoever they want in life and the sad thing is they think that way because grown ass adults taught them to.

Surtur
My other question would be if they started to pay the college athletes then should the athletes in turn be required to pay their own tuition?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/obama-racial-database-post/2015/07/18/id/657837/

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/07/19/obamas-awesome-new-race-database-even-more-awesome-than-you-imagined/
Thanks.

So, I'm not sure what to make of it tbh. I don't think it's nefarious, but it has the potential to be one of those intrusive, silly government programs that cause more problems than they solve.

Time-Immemorial
Thanks.

So, I'm not sure what to make of it tbh. I don't think it's nefarious, but it has the potential to be one of those intrusive, silly government programs that cause more problems than they solve.

I am glad we see eye to eye on this.

Surtur
Why would they say the racial database needs to be secret?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.