Official KOTOR II Update

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AncientPower
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords has just had it's first update in ten years, including native widescreen, 4k and 5k resolutions and more.

For us however the most important thing is that the restored content is part of the update, making it all official Legends content.

The update was made by Aspyr Media, the same company responsible for KOTOR on Google Play Store.

Source: http://steamed.kotaku.com/ten-years-later-star-wars-kotor-ii-gets-an-official-up-1719284362?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

FreshestSlice
It took ten years, but progress was made.

Selenial
Got linked to this a couple hours ago, still giddy about it! Summer playthrough here I come Happy Dance

Been needing to replay it anyway since I literally just started my Fanfic based around the Lost Jedi after Surik left.... Now I've got a nice excuse big grin

AncientPower
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
It took ten years, but progress was made.

If not for LucasArts, Obsidian would have done all this from the start but didn't get the permission, they had patches planned for release but it never happened.

At least now we can treat Restored Content as Legends.

Selenial
It's a shame the Restored content mod isn't even the best of it. Still misses a lot of Malachor.

ChaosTheory123
Huh

So Sion getting humiliated by Nihilus, yet still not dying, gets added to Sion's useable feats :hmm

Whatever the original intent of the scene was?

Not currently what's in the game or how the story plays out

Just food for thought :hmm

FreshestSlice
How is the walking corpse surviving an actual feat for him when Kreia survived?

I'm guessing the only point of the scene was to show how gg Nihilus was supposed to be, since his bossfight was terrible. Much like the dialogue that needed to be shown to prove how much he was beating us.

DarthAnt66
Where does it say cut-content is now canon?

AncientPower
Take note that may well have been changed, we do not know what advances Aspyr Media made themselves with that content.

However that is a possibility yes.

ChaosTheory123
How is the walking corpse surviving an actual feat for him when Kreia survived?

Not seeing what you're getting at

Traya's more powerful than Sion... so why's that make this less impressive?

Sion gets some nice durability feats out of this is all I was noting

Be it the rape Nihilus gives him or eating a force crush or 2 from Traya IIRC

AncientPower
Originally posted by DarthAnt66

Said cut content was included in this official patch for KOTOR II, this makes it Legends 'canon'.

ChaosTheory123

Generally being part of an official update is acknowledging it as part of the official game kiddo

AncientPower
When you consider this was originally meant to be KOTOR II as Obsidian envisioned it then all this does is make it official for us.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by ChaosTheory123
Not seeing what you're getting at

Traya's more powerful than Sion... so why's that make this less impressive?

Sion gets some nice durability feats out of this is all I was noting

Be it the rape Nihilus gives him or eating a force crush or 2 from Traya IIRC
Sion dies literally all the time. Sion loses to Atton. His whole thing is that he dies literally a lot, and just comes back. The fact that he can get back up after Nihilus hits him isn't really that impressive.

ChaosTheory123
Sion dies literally all the time. Sion loses to Atton. His whole thing is that he dies literally all the time, and just comes back. The fact that he can get back up after Nihilus hits him isn't really that impressive.

It kind of is seeing as how part of his power set is over the top regen and pseudo immortality

The benchmark upper limit to permanently killing Sion with brute force (Force Powers, not beheading with a lightsaber) becomes "you need to be stronger than Nihilus"

Take off the Star Wars goggles, on a multi fictional level this makes the ****er hard to permanently can for plenty of lower tiered series. :maybe

AncientPower
Sion can lose to Atton depending entirely upon how well trained Atton is by that point. Brianna went from last of the handmaidens to stomping all five simultaneously and stalemating Atris due to Surik's training, Atton going from an elite Jedi killer to being capable of defeating Sion is far from out of proportion given his party's own advances.

ChaosTheory123
Kind of funny too

How its not a feat for Atton, yet somehow supposed to diminish Sion's standing

Doesn't make Sion weak to possibly lose to Atton, especially with his general repertoire of powers.

It makes Atton strong.

FreshestSlice
What are you talking about? There is no way to "permanently kill Sion." That's his entire character. It has nothing to do with Star Wars, you know besides the fact he lived a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, and has everything to do with the fact he literally does not stay dead. Being stronger than him does not matter. He has to want to die. Because he does actually each time he is killed, and dead is dead. He just comes back.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by AncientPower
Sion can lose to Atton depending entirely upon how well trained Atton is by that point. Brianna went from last of the handmaidens to stomping all five simultaneously and stalemating Atris due to Surik's training, Atton going from an elite Jedi killer to being capable of defeating Sion is far from out of proportion given his party's own advances.
That's all gameplay, and considering Atton was alive in the original version of this game, I'm guessing he doesn't canonically lose.

ChaosTheory123
What are you talking about? There is no way to "permanently kill Sion."

So

Guess we can just chuck him at the Living Tribunal and he'll never die then

Do you even debate this shit? :hmm

The concept of no limits fallacy seems to elude you dude.

ChaosTheory123
Here

Let me help you

Ways to kill Sion

He's never been shown to regenerate from a severed head or crushed skull/brain. We can't assume he can without proper feats or narrative telling us he can.

Ergo, he can't pull a Majin Buu or Cell and regenerate from shit he's never shown feats for.

Second way to kill him?

Overwhelm his TK enhanced durability, reduce his flesh to small enough particles of matter to the point he can't regenerate.

After all, the fact he can die in the first place suggests his durability has a tangible limit regeneration not withstanding

This help you dude? :hmm

FreshestSlice
Yeah, I'm not going to take total bullshitting over what's actually in game. In game, it says Sion will comeback every time he's killed, or at least has every time he's died, and that he's died several times. So does the Campaign Guide for the KotOR franchise. All of that>you. It doesn't set some new limit anymore than saying, "Well, the blaster worked, and this bomb worked, so the bomb is the new limit to permanently killing Sion." They both can kill him, and he is perfectly dead regardless. Not suspended, but actually dead. There's also the fact that what you'e listing isn't even true. Sion's body is just about dust, and he holds it together solely by the power of the Force. He's a rotting corpse by all accounts.

ChaosTheory123
That's... not a rebuttal

All you're rattling off is hyperbole from the narrative

I know he can come back to life, that's great

In the context of Star Wars, he might as well be immortal (unproven, but his upper shown limits are fairly impressive)

Now chuck a planet/supernova level attack at his ass

Does his flesh get incinerated or not?

This isn't all that difficult a thought experiment dude, I'm pretty sure you're smarter than this by now

AncientPower
That's all gameplay, and considering Atton was alive in the original version of this game, I'm guessing he doesn't canonically lose.

The only thing that is gameplay there is Atton's victory or loss, IIRC Atton can survive the loss and appears after you kill Traya injured.

FreshestSlice
I was talking about leveling. Besides, if Atton loses to Sion, he dies, which makes me think him defeating him has to be canon. Of course, that hinges on the original ending still being canon now.
That's... not a rebuttal

All you're rattling off is hyperbole from the narrative

I know he can come back to life, that's great

In the context of Star Wars, he might as well be immortal (unproven, but his upper shown limits are fairly impressive)

Now chuck a planet/supernova level attack at his ass

Does his flesh get incinerated or not?

This isn't all that difficult a thought experiment dude, I'm pretty sure you're smarter than this by now
Comeback to me when you have something to actually refute what's in game. Otherwise, I'm going to assume it, and not you, is correct. As his power is pretty bullshit, I wouldn't be surprised if it worked on an atomic level. It's not Dark Transfer, so it might.

ChaosTheory123
Comeback to me when you have something to actually refute what's in game. Otherwise, I'm going to assume it, and not you, is correct. As his power is pretty bullshit, I wouldn't be surprised if it worked on an atomic level. It's not Dark Transfer, so it might.

I wouldn't be surprised either

However, you'll be surprised to know that only affords him megatons of durability or so.

Humans are kind of tiny

Even a full mass/energy conversion grants him a gigaton or 2, and that's about as thoroughly destroyed as matter can get

AncientPower
I was talking about leveling. Besides, if Atton loses to Sion, he dies, which makes me think him defeating him has to be canon. Of course, that hinges on the original ending still being canon now.

It happens in the story actually, Brianna starts out as the least skilled and disciplined of the six, when she returns to the Telos Academy after her Jedi training she stomps all five handmaidens in seconds and then stalemates Atris before Atris has had enough and spams her with FL.

I thought you could save him before leaving.

FreshestSlice
Of course that happens in story, but the whole, "how you leveled him," thing is where I'm getting at. Don't see why that really matters.

AncientPower
If you complete his training in dialogue with him he can win but if you don't he loses, IIRC.

ares834
Said cut content was included in this official patch for KOTOR II, this makes it Legends 'canon'.

Generally being part of an official update is acknowledging it as part of the official game kiddo

Except, according to the link, it's not.

Rather this update will make the game comparable with the Steam workshop and the restoration mod will be available on said workshop.

AncientPower
The entire thing is an optional patch, including the restored content which Aspyr worked on to make it part of the optional update.

ares834
Read your own link. The patch allows acces to the steam worshop which includes the restoration mod (as well as others) however, the restoration mod is not part of the patch.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by ares834
Read your own link. The patch allows acces to the steam worshop which includes the restoration mod (as well as others) however, the restoration mod is not part of the patch.
"The Steam update notes indicated that the mod's group "teamed up" with the port's new developers at Aspyr, meaning that this is the most frank, official support we've ever seen for the game's restored content being modded back into the game."

It should be also noted that the ones actually adding the content back into the game, as in with the patch is Valve. It's basically semantics at this point, but this really doesn't change anything as most people at east considered the restored content okay in debates.

NewGuy01
I'll give it a shot. When's the release?

FreshestSlice
It's already out.

AncientPower
So it got rated for Linux, iOS and Mobile back in May, KOTOR 2 on Google Play Store confirmed. Looks like i am buying a new micro SD because i already have KOTOR installed.

Beniboybling

Comeback to me when you have something to actually refute what's in game. Otherwise, I'm going to assume it, and not you, is correct. As his power is pretty bullshit, I wouldn't be surprised if it worked on an atomic level. It's not Dark Transfer, so it might. Where does it say in any KOTOR material that Sion can endure any injury?

What Chaos is saying seems to make sense.

FreshestSlice
Where did I say he could endure any injury? I said that once he dies he comes back, which is said in game. Chaos seems to be trying to find an injury that would lead to a permanent death, and short of atomizing him and scattering the ashes, we haven't actually agreed on a way to make him stay dead, hence our little discussion. He wants Nihilus to be some sort of benchmark, and I said that since it didn't even kill Kreia, I doubt that it actually is.

NewGuy01
Kreia taunts each master - During the Masters infamous speech about how they must cut the Exile off from the force, Kreia comes in as usual and throws them back. However, after she drains them, it's not over. Kreia was to ask each master how they could not have felt the echo and how close they were to giving up the Force but they failed. Kreia puts each of them in a crush, thus killing them. - Restored; Taunting. Killing would be compeletely against everything Kreia stood for. So... no killing!!!

So apparently the drain doesn't kill in this version, and she either kills them with TK or not at all. (I can't tell, really, it's sorta contradictory.)

Nephthys
Killing goes against what Kreia stands for? Lolwut? She was in charge of an academy of sith assassins and monsters. Which she later orchestrates the obliteration of with the help of the Exile, after killing a bunch of people as a party member all game. She kills 7 assassins without even looking at them on Malachor. She really isn't above killing.

AncientPower
What quote even is that?

psmith81992
So I am confused, is this shit worth getting?

Selenial
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Kreia taunts each master - During the Masters infamous speech about how they must cut the Exile off from the force, Kreia comes in as usual and throws them back. However, after she drains them, it's not over. Kreia was to ask each master how they could not have felt the echo and how close they were to giving up the Force but they failed. Kreia puts each of them in a crush, thus killing them. - Restored; Taunting. Killing would be compeletely against everything Kreia stood for. So... no killing!!!

So apparently the drain doesn't kill in this version, and she either kills them with TK or not at all. (I can't tell, really, it's sorta contradictory.)

She was actually meant to leave them alive, according to the Prima guide. They allowed Surik to live because they needed her to end the threat for them since she was immune to drain.

Revanchiste
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords has just had it's first update in ten years, including native widescreen, 4k and 5k resolutions and more.

For us however the most important thing is that the restored content is part of the update, making it all official Legends content.

The update was made by Aspyr Media, the same company responsible for KOTOR on Google Play Store.

Source: http://steamed.kotaku.com/ten-years-later-star-wars-kotor-ii-gets-an-official-up-1719284362?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow
Not it's first update... There is mod that do unofficial update based on official stuff.. A director's cut have been made....
There is a total Free mod that already do the exact same damn thing.

Revanchiste
Originally posted by Selenial
She was actually meant to leave them alive, according to the Prima guide. They allowed Surik to live because they needed her to end the threat for them since she was immune to drain.

Killing them was not her intention according to the mod that made the director cut version played by timpedia and many other KotOR fans... Her speech indicate that she want them to recover reason...

So it make sens..
She coudl easly kill them... After all she is a bioware final boss.

Selenial
"I did not wish the Jedi dead. Defeated, perhaps. I merely wished them to see that they, and their teachings, were wrong. That one could not truly understand the force simply by adhering to the Jedi Code. All I have trained, have been failures to them."

Forgive me if that's slightly off, going from memory. But yeh she didn't really want to exterminate the order at all.

Beniboybling
Where did I say he could endure any injury? I said that once he dies he comes back, which is said in game. Chaos seems to be trying to find an injury that would lead to a permanent death, and short of atomizing him and scattering the ashes, we haven't actually agreed on a way to make him stay dead, hence our little discussion. He wants Nihilus to be some sort of benchmark, and I said that since it didn't even kill Kreia, I doubt that it actually is. You said that he can come back from the dead no matter what happens to him i.e. he can endure any injury considering Sion never actually dies. I'm not finding a basis for that, and I'm not seeing any reason to believe decapitation or the like would not kill him.Originally posted by NewGuy01
So apparently the drain doesn't kill in this version, and she either kills them with TK or not at all. (I can't tell, really, it's sorta contradictory.) So they we're just napping? I can't see how the plot works if they don't die..

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Beniboybling
You said that he can come back from the dead no matter what happens to him i.e. he can endure any injury considering Sion never actually dies.
There's your problem. Sion does actually die. That's made clear in the Campaign Guide. He's died several times. As in dead. He just comes back in same vein as Revan does in SOR, or more that Revan does in the same vein as him. So no, I'm not saying what you think I'm saying.

Beniboybling
Not really.http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/124590/3838058-3828086-sionimmortality.png

Sion doesn't die, he's struck down and his rage keeps him alive. This is exactly how its potrayed in KOTOR II, he doesn't even go down, his health merely regenerates.

But again this is besides the point, what actual evidence do you have to suggest that decapitation would not cause Sion perma-death?

FreshestSlice
Yeah, I have it already, thanks. Living things don't decompose, homeslice. It also says he came back from the anger of being killed. So, yeah...

And no. The burden of proof lies on the one who made the claim. It's all well and good if you think decapitation will kill him. Show proof, like I asked earlier. He himself has already said his body is in "cracks," I doubt it. Either way, this is kind of irrelevant, as I've seen very few people be decapitated with the Force, which was the focus of our discussion.

Beniboybling
Eh I'd say that's open to interpretation. I supposed it could be intepreted that Sion's body died initially but his consciousness survived, meaning Sion's body is already dead, and stayed dead, as opposed to flip flopping between the two.

As for proof I think that's implied. Decapitation tends to kill people because it cuts off blood from the brain and induces brain death. Assuming Sion's brain is still functioning (and he is dependent on it's function), which it appears to be, and is dependent on some semblance a circulatory system, it should kill him. And brain death would cause his consciousness to die too, so he won't be coming back.

Any serious damage to brain really, should kill him. If we are to assume his strength of will/consciousness is what is keeping him alive.

Not sure how this is irrelevant however, considering it began with you initially claiming "there is no way to permanently kill Sion."

NewGuy01
What quote even is that?

There's a list on Steam of the changes that the restored content provides, that's among them.

Selenial
So I'm curious how people want to deal with this in regards to canon.

I maintain the old policy honestly, canon if it's from the game files and isn't a baseless rework of the game for the sake of improvement...

appletonia
Is any of the restored content referenced in/contradicted by the original game or other canon sources?

Emperordmb
If it's an official update, I don't know why it wouldn't be canon to the Legends continuity.

Selenial
Originally posted by Emperordmb
If it's an official update, I don't know why it wouldn't be canon to the Legends continuity.
Because it's Valve, not Lucasarts. And an optional add on.

For example, the force unleashed Ultimate Sith edition DLC is certainly not canon.

Selenial
Originally posted by appletonia
Is any of the restored content referenced in/contradicted by the original game or other canon sources?

Yes actually, they changed the way Traya dealt with the council to choking them all at the same time, which apparently was not in the dialogue files, thus it was their attempt to make the scene cooler. No base in canon at all.

ares834
Originally posted by Emperordmb

It's not part of the "official" update. So no.

AncientPower
The restored content was worked on by Aspyr Media whom made it, like their official patch, optional. It is certainly official. Aspyr Media is an official developer of KOTOR on mobile and soon KOTOR II, it is as official as it gets.

Nephthys
Can anything post-Disney be official if it isn't canon?

ares834
The restored content was worked on by Aspyr Media whom made it, like their official patch, optional. It is certainly official. Aspyr Media is an official developer of KOTOR on mobile and soon KOTOR II, it is as official as it gets.

Sorry, no. It's still a mod and is not part of the update.

Beniboybling
It's a clear endorsement of the mod though.

Revanchiste
http://assiste.free.fr/kotor_2/TimeLine.html
ACtually this website can answer all your qestions...
Darth Sion humhum :
Here http://assiste.free.fr/kotor_2/personnage_darth_sion.html

Revanchiste
It is a mod but the content is official, it is teh director's cut mod....

Mod or not it is director's cut...

AncientPower

It started out as a fan-made attempt to reconstruct official feveloper content which said developer wanted to patch in. Ten years later this progress with game files was picked up by Aspyr Media, whom works with EA and Bioware on republishing these games and even reworking the game files.

The restored content modification was worked on by a licensed Star Wars developer to bring to Steam Workshop and apparently will even include this content in their mobile version of the game.

This is an optional DLC from Aspyr Media available on Steam Workshop, this is not just a mod, it started out as such and has been been picked up for the game.

Lord Stark
I'd say the content is canon so long as it doesn't contradict the original content. Just like the deleted scenes of the films in the old canon policy.

ares834
The restored content modification was worked on by a licensed Star Wars developer to bring to Steam Workshop and apparently will even include this content in their mobile version of the game.

This is an optional DLC from Aspyr Media available on Steam Workshop, this is not just a mod, it started out as such and has been been picked up for the game.

Sadly none of that has been said. Unless you have something more?

DarthAnt66
It's not canon, tbh. The cut-content shown in the diolague.txt files of the game are, however.

AncientPower
Sadly none of that has been said. Unless you have something more?

It directly states in the article they worked with the mod team and furthermore on Steam Workshop we see evidence of Aspyr Media working on it directly.

This is no different than Bioware's Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut DLC, it is just ten years late.

ares834
Worked with them. That doesn't mean they worked on it. And what evidence from the steam worshop are you taking about?

AncientPower
Here:

Originally posted by NewGuy01
There's a list on Steam of the changes that the restored content provides, that's among them.

Aspyr Media made changes to the restored content, hence the earlier discussion.

ares834
Um. What? He is talking about some of the content that the mod provides. In this case, he is talking about how Kreia kills the Jedi masters in a different way. Not sure how you conclude that the company made changes to the of based on that...

AncientPower
It is a mix actually.

This is all a moot point though, Aspyr Media picked the cut content up and published it to Steam Workshop as an optional DLC with their official patch. It's an Aspyr Media development, that simple.

ares834
It's not an optional DLC; it's a mod made by fans.

AncientPower
It's a restoration of official game files by a mod team which Aspyr Media officially published on Steam Workshop.

You can disagree if you like but I am not following you.

ChaosTheory123
This reminds me of all those "is Battle of Gods canon" debates for DB

Not quite the same issue, but just as annoying

psmith81992
For the millionth time, is this worth downloading?

Selenial
It's a restoration of official game files by a mod team which Aspyr Media officially published on Steam Workshop.

You can disagree if you like but I am not following you.

Yep. It's a restoration of the game done based on the data in the Dialogue file. Therefore anything not in the dialogue file isn't "restored game" but a fanon mod. So the changes count on a case by case basis.

I'm glad you agree thumb up

Selenial
Originally posted by psmith81992
For the millionth time, is this worth downloading?

100%, the TSLRCM made the game one of my favourite games of all time.

Revanchiste
It's not canon, tbh. The cut-content shown in the diolague.txt files of the game are, however.

It is a director cut I don't care, so it is canon, it was intended to be in the game. end of the story...
Director's cut>original in term of canonicity.
Even if it is a mod !!!

The patch of teh french version get a lot of translation error.
assiste.free.fr/kotor_2/TimeLine.html
This website correct them...
http://assiste.free.fr/kotor_2/telechargements.html
Look at all the website have.. and it is quite dating.. There is some official stuff...
They have translated an patched teh dialog years ago before that ToR was launched.
And this website consider this canon.. And hell yhea this website get a Game theory seal of approval, given by Mat Pat himselkf.

The mod mayby done by the fan but teh content is made by the KotOR II team bioware, obsidian. So the content is not fanon.. How could it be???
I'm sidding on Timpedia side.

Timpedia, Jensaarai, and MatPat have said that this stuff is canon... And even obsidian himself.
Get yoru self off a cliff if you cannot admit that this content is just canon !!!

psmith81992
Am I doing this wrong? I'm already on Malachor V and there has been zero difference between this and the original KOTOR 2. Without spoilers, does the new stuff happen after?

Zenwolf
Did you download the Restored content before playing?

Go on Steam, go to the workshop for Kotor 2 and you'll see the Restored Content. Subscribe to it, let it download and when you start a new game things will be added in.

FreshestSlice
Why is a canon discussion still going on when literally none of KotOR II is canon?

Zenwolf
Why is a canon discussion still going on when literally none of KotOR II is canon?

/Shrug

Cause something. Although they be speaking from a Legends standpoint.

FreshestSlice
From a Legends standpoint, it still doesn't matter. All of the additions from the cut content is still only contained to KotOR II, TOR goes well out of it's way to shit all over the game. Really no point in debating it. No one really gains anything worth bragging about. The only point to TSLRCM is making KotOR II bearable and playable.

psmith81992
Yes I did. When I go into the game, it says "Restored Mod 1.84"
But I don't recall anything being different.

AncientPower
From a Legends standpoint, it still doesn't matter. All of the additions from the cut content is still only contained to KotOR II, TOR goes well out of it's way to shit all over the game. Really no point in debating it. No one really gains anything worth bragging about. The only point to TSLRCM is making KotOR II bearable and playable.

It buffs up the main cast decently, so in that respect it is a nice change of pace and gives Sion in particular some much needed feats.

Selenial
Originally posted by psmith81992
Am I doing this wrong? I'm already on Malachor V and there has been zero difference between this and the original KOTOR 2. Without spoilers, does the new stuff happen after?

What you get isn't additions of new planets, or hundreds of new, never before seen quests. It's all additions into the old storylines.

Extra Cutscenes on the Mira and Hanharr storyline, a crew meeting without you on Nar Shaddaa. Visas confronting Traya in the ruined Enclave, that sort of thing.

psmith81992
Oh ok I saw that. Not impressed at all.

AncientPower
Much more happens on Malachor V than it does in vanilla, makes the game much more complete. I hate it without the cut content mod.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.