Lurtz vs. Azog

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

StiltmanFTW
Hand-to-hand.

AncientPower
Azog wins, he is much bigger, stronger and smarter.

StealthRanger
Lurtz

Kazenji
Azog kills him.

TheVaultDweller
Azog, by virtue of having a much pointier fake left hand he can use to stab.

Robtard
Lurtz should be more powerful as he's Uruk-Hai, but Azog had the superior showings and as noted, he comes with a built in weapon.

BruceSkywalker
who are these people? lol

Robtard
One's a lord of the ringer; the other is a hobbiter

FrothByte
Originally posted by Robtard
Lurtz should be more powerful as he's Uruk-Hai, but Azog had the superior showings and as noted, he comes with a built in weapon.

True. The Urukhai were supposed to be these specially bred Orcs that were stronger and better than normal Orcs. So it seemed weird that both Azog and his son were bigger than Urukhai.

Of course, making this match h2h gives an unfair advantage to Azog.

KingD19
Why not just say Azog has his original hand? For example, imagine if he had both hands when he was swinging that chunk of stone around.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Robtard
One's a lord of the ringer; the other is a hobbiter

oh i 'd prolly have to rewatch them then

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
oh i 'd prolly have to rewatch them then

In the movieverse, Lurtz was the first and the most powerful of Saruman's Uruk-hai. He killed Boromir in the battle of Amon Hen and gave Aragorn a run for his money. Lurtz doesn't appear in the books.

Azog is the giant Orc from Gundabad, father of Bolg. Dead from the beginning in the book, lol. He and Thorin kill each other in the final movie.

TheVaultDweller
Even ignoring Azog's built in weapon, he just seemed more impressive to me. Lurtz killed Boromir by essentially cheap shotting him with arrows while Boromir was butchering his brethren. And when Aragorn got his "enough of this BS" look on his face, he literally lopped Lurtz to pieces.

StiltmanFTW
Nobody has given Aragorn that much trouble in the entire extended trilogy, though.

With the very few exceptions like that armored Chieftain Troll from the Black Gate.

TheVaultDweller
True enough, but I still felt that Azog came across as a bit better. Lurtz -should- be better, but I just never got that impression watching them both in action. Admittedly, the Hobbit films are a lot fresher in my memories than the LotR films are.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
True enough, but I still felt that Azog came across as a bit better. Lurtz -should- be better, but I just never got that impression watching them both in action. Admittedly, the Hobbit films are a lot fresher in my memories than the LotR films are.

Azog was CGI'd and appeared in 3 movies, so I understand it's easy to see him as Lurtz's superior. And maybe he is.

Thing is, as formidable as he was, he lost his first fight against Thorin and had some help from his henchmen in the final confrontation. Aragorn wasn't at full strength when he fought Lurtz either, but at least there were no interruptions during their duel.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Azog was CGI'd and appeared in 3 movies, so I understand it's easy to see him as Lurtz's superior. And maybe he is.

Thing is, as formidable as he was, he lost his first fight against Thorin and had some help from his henchmen in the final confrontation. Aragorn wasn't at full strength when he fought Lurtz either, but at least there were no interruptions during their duel.

That's the thing though. Feats and screen time count for a lot. We have a much better idea of what Azog is capable, where as we don't have that much to go on where Lurtz is concerned. We can speculate that Lurtz is superior to Azog because he is Uruk-Hai, but he ultimately lacks the feats to prove this.

FrothByte
A question I'd like answered is, how does Azog compare to Bolg? Because if Azog is anywhere near Bolg then I'd say he's above Lurtz as well. Lurtz may have fought Aragorn but Bolg took on Legolas.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
That's the thing though. Feats and screen time count for a lot. We have a much better idea of what Azog is capable, where as we don't have that much to go on where Lurtz is concerned. We can speculate that Lurtz is superior to Azog because he is Uruk-Hai, but he ultimately lacks the feats to prove this.

Yeah, I know what you mean and I pretty much agree. And that Sauron's mace...

Giving Aragorn hell is arguably a superior feat to anything Azog has done, though.

Originally posted by FrothByte
A question I'd like answered is, how does Azog compare to Bolg? Because if Azog is anywhere near Bolg then I'd say he's above Lurtz as well. Lurtz may have fought Aragorn but Bolg took on Legolas.

Legolas is nowhere near Aragorn in hth combat, imo.

FrothByte

Legolas is nowhere near Aragorn in hth combat, imo.

Legolas has way better feats in melee than Aragorn. Especially after the hobbit movies. What makes you think Aragorn is superior?

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by FrothByte
Legolas has way better feats in melee than Aragorn. Especially after the hobbit movies. What makes you think Aragorn is superior?

Only after the Hobbit movies, if anything.

Greenleaf didn't do much hth fighting in the LotR trilogy. Feats from Hobbits are good, esp. with Orcrist, but they still can't hold a candle to those of Aragorn.

Aragorn's massacred entire groups of goblins, orcs or even uruks. Managed to fend off the Nazguls in FotR, too. Including the Witchking.

ares834
thumb up

Defeating the nazgul shits on anything Legolas did in melee.

StiltmanFTW
And that was without Anduril, whereas Legolas' best melee feats have him wielding Orcrist.

FrothByte
Only after the Hobbit movies, if anything.

Greenleaf didn't do much hth fighting in the LotR trilogy. Feats from Hobbits are good, esp. with Orcrist, but they still can't hold a candle to those of Aragorn.

Aragorn's massacred entire groups of goblins, orcs or even uruks. Managed to fend off the Nazguls in FotR, too. Including the Witchking.

First off, Aragorn has very very few h2h feats. Most of his feats were accomplished with a sword, which makes it melee. Legolas went h2h with Bolg. What h2h fights has Aragorn ever done that are memorable?

Legolas defeated scores of enemies as well in melee, he was in the middle of the battles just as much as Aragorn. Difference was that he never, not once, got hit. Aragorn has been injured and was near death.

Legolas took down the Mamukil and easily danced around a cave Troll. Agility feats like that play a big part in h2h.

Aragorn fended off the Nazgul and the Witchking but he didn't exactly defeat them (IIRC). Wasn't it Gandalf who eventually killed the Witchking?

ares834
Sounds like you need to rematch the movies TBH.

KingD19
Eowyn killed the Witch King of Angmar. It was foretold that "no man" would ever best him in combat. And Eowyn being a woman technically qualified so she stabbed him in the face and he died.

quanchi112
Azog clearly wins.

FrothByte
Originally posted by ares834
Sounds like you need to rematch the movies TBH.

Or you could just be a decent person and point out my mistakes.

Originally posted by KingD19
Eowyn killed the Witch King of Angmar. It was foretold that "no man" would ever best him in combat. And Eowyn being a woman technically qualified so she stabbed him in the face and he died.

Thanks for that. I stand corrected.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.